Anyone playing Lego Worlds?

Katanga

What is Lego Worlds exactly? I'm having a hard time figuring that out.

It's part of the video game genre generally referred to as "sandbox games". Sort of like Minecraft or LittleBigPlanet. It lets you explore an interactive LEGO world and reshape it to your liking using various tools. The gameplay is more creative-based than story– or skills-based.

I haven't played it myself, since as far as I know they still don't have a Mac version, but it seems like they've added a lot to it since the early access version was first unveiled.

• Upvote 1

Personally, I doubt I'll get a chance to play it for quite a while, as I'd rather get through all my other Lego games first (after I finally finish a certain other game, first).

However, I certainly wouldn't mind trying it out, once I can finally get the chance. I can get it on Steam, and since I just noticed that it apparently has 61 achievements to unlock, that at least will give me something to do once I eventually start playing.

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.

• 3 weeks later...

Not yet, but I kind of want to. I never got into online gaming that much, but I've been considering getting into Minecraft after seeing a pretty good Let's Play of it, and if this is similar, only in LEGO form, it should definitely be fun.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

• 5 weeks later...

I think the best answer to that question would be to think about what you can do in Lego Worlds that you can't do in Minecraft.

I'm not really familiar with either game, but from I've seen and heard, one example I can think of would be all the different kinds of vehicles you can freely ride around in, like cars and airplanes you can customize, and if my knowledge isn't out-of-date, Minecraft doesn't give you anything besides simple mine carts on tracks.

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.

Yeah, I actually wasn't being facetious (I'm as surprised as you are). I like the idea of it, I'm more curious if it's LEGO just jumping on the badwagon as opposed to creating their own thing wholesale.

Hand-drawn, bespoke avatar by none other than Mushy the Mushroom.

a body adrift in water, salt, and sky

Yeah, I actually wasn't being facetious (I'm as surprised as you are). I like the idea of it, I'm more curious if it's LEGO just jumping on the badwagon as opposed to creating their own thing wholesale.

I'm not an expert on Minecraft or Lego Worlds, but to my knowledge (based largely on what I saw of the beta) Lego Worlds' building focuses more on actual shaping and creative forms (including things like slope or arch bricks), versus Minecraft which has more focus on materials and how they interact. Lego Worlds also had many "quick building" tools, such as being able to quickly create shaped objects like mountains and trees or "spray" walls or a solid, flat foundation for a building, as opposed to the "one block at a time" building method I typically see in Minecraft.

Edited by Lyichir

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

So here's a question: Besides the "It's Lego, duh!" why should I play this and not, say, Minecraft?

I admit I don't know much about either game, but as far as I can tell in Lego Worlds you can build stuff that is actually functional, whereas in minecraft you just build stuff for the sake of it existing and looking good. Also, everything in minecraft is a cube, whereas in Lego Worlds you have access to numerous Lego pieces which offer a greater variety in shaping. 

:kakama:

Edited by Pohaturon

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki: