Expanded Multiverse Discussion Topic

I've recently started getting a better understanding of why some EM elements have been made elements, sand most specifically, and I'm starting to wonder why some other EM elements were made official elements of the Expanded Multiverse Canon.

Those in question have been Virus, Tar, and Ghost.

I'm curious as to whether Ghost and Virus were inspired by the MU counterparts of Makuta viruses and the ethereal energy projection made by...the mask Matoro wore who's name escapes me...and where you all got tar from in the first place.

Of the three you mentioned, Tar is actually the least questionable for me. Ghost is not based on the Iden, but on "ectoplasma", in the ghostly-material sense. There's some explanation further up on this page I believe. Virus is sort of based on Makuta viruses, but I don't think it's as powerful. Tar, on the other hand, is a substance, just like stone or air, and works a lot better as an element than, say, psionics (sorry, pet peeve :P).

• Upvote 1

"So I'm TL now?"

"Yeah, 'cuz if we said it the other way it'd have to be TLhiKHAAN!!"

Of the three you mentioned, Tar is actually the least questionable for me. Ghost is not based on the Iden, but on "ectoplasma", in the ghostly-material sense. There's some explanation further up on this page I believe. Virus is sort of based on Makuta viruses, but I don't think it's as powerful. Tar, on the other hand, is a substance, just like stone or air, and works a lot better as an element than, say, psionics (sorry, pet peeve :P).

I was just thinking that instead of saying that Ectoplasm simply exists without any proof that it had beginnings in the original Bionicle universe, maybe it is based on whatever energy the Iden may use to project the spirit of its user. That way, there is some reasoning behind the origin of the Ghost element outside of "just because it would be cool for it to exist".

Also, I believe Psionics to be a VERY useful and natural element. I consider it (based on a theory someone wrote up a while ago) to simply be a "mental energy" used by all sapient beings in the Bionicle Universe in order to think and reason. By wielding this invisible energy outside of one's mind, a Toa of Psionics can envelope an object in the energy in order to move it, telekinetics, or connect the mental energies of beings so as to communicate through it silently, telepathy.

I've recently started getting a better understanding of why some EM elements have been made elements, sand most specifically, and I'm starting to wonder why some other EM elements were made official elements of the Expanded Multiverse Canon.

Those in question have been Virus, Tar, and Ghost.

I'm curious as to whether Ghost and Virus were inspired by the MU counterparts of Makuta viruses and the ethereal energy projection made by...the mask Matoro wore who's name escapes me...and where you all got tar from in the first place.

If anyone else is wonder about Sand, he asked me via PM (was unsure if topic was place for this kind of thing, and I said it was); if anyone else would like to know my answer feel free to ask. Short answer is Vorox. :P

1) Tar is something that has always fascinated me as a natural substance. My interest in it probably (it's my memory :P) goes back to something in one of those movies, that I saw as a kid, with those animated dinosaurs (I forget the title, but you know, the famous ones... kid dinosaurs knock a rock off a ledge to stop T Rex... that one). There was a tar pit problem at one point that I somehow never forgot (I think it was in one of the many sequels... or something). It has a lot of story potential and oddly is rarely tapped into by most authors. And it certainly fits the Bionicle feel of elements, so when someone suggested it, to me it was just an instant fit.

2) Correct about virus; that was the exact inspiration.

3) I forget if the Kanohi Iden was actually brought up or not, but I would consider its EM version to be validly considered to be making use of it. Ghost is defined as intangible or semi-tangible energy structures. Matoro's "ghost" would appear like him to Hahli, so had structure, and was intangible. The semi-tangible and selective-intangibility stuff is more inspired by other fiction. Part of it though was a theory I had a long time ago, mentioned in my popular "Wacky Physics" topic, about self-stable energy structures actually being integral to just about every protodermic power (so it would make sense for them to also be able to manifest as a larger-scale power). Plus we wanted some other things that would make Psionics not seem so oddball; trying to fill in the list of imagineable and plausible energy powers consistent with that one.

I seem to recall I was the one who first suggested the element of Tar, mainly because I was utilizing it in my (terrible) fan fiction at the time. I'm not necessarily sure it's inclusion is justified either, but my understanding is that the EM has long adopted a policy of "pretty much anything that doesn't conflict official canon is also canon." Plus, if you really want crazy (awesome), just take a look at the list of official combo elements. Seriously, you can shoot plants and rock at each other in the EM and instantly create a forest. I don't think anyone is seriously thinking about realism at this point. :P

BTW, Bonesiii, I just wanted to let you know that my current fiction project, which I am attempting to write with the goal of eventual publication, inadvertently has cribbed a few concepts from the Expanded Multiverse. Mainly, parabolic vision, and the idea of a tyrant who lives on a mountain of (space?) obsidian that has secret caves deep beneath its impenetrable exterior. I don't know if I had the EM on my mind at the time, but I can assure you that the inspiration was accidental. Is that okay with you? (I'm sure it probably is, but if not, did I mention I also have a character inspired by your living skeleton alter ego?)

Yeah, anything EM is fine to copy off of anyways; that's the whole idea. :P So a vague similarity would be especially okay. You could just chalk it up to a subconscious allusion anyways. :P

As for realism, that could open up a fascinating discussion about just "what is real?" :P Theoretically such a thing could happen, given the right technology. But let's not overthink it. :P The element policy is basically to try to be complete and consistent with the underlying (sometimes implied) rules that feed the list of canon elements, but which the canon is somewhat inconsistent about in order to have an intentionally small list that's easier for the casual fan to memorize.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Hey, one question on Virus. The BS01 page on Brotherhood viruses calls them "organisms".

So is elemental virus a living organism/many organisms together (sort of like how plant life is a "living element"), or is it a non-living form?

Actually...are elemental plants "alive" in the canon, in the sense that Matoran or Agori are alive? :???:

I always assumed Ghost was based off the Zamor spheres actually.

You mean because they could turn intangible? I suppose there's a loose connection, but Zamor Spheres are made of hollow crystalline substance (matter, not energy), with a power (of intangibility on impact). You could argue that in the EM version, the element of Ghost may be involved in the power of intangibility even when applied to matter though.

Hey, one question on Virus. The BS01 page on Brotherhood viruses calls them "organisms".

So is elemental virus a living organism/many organisms together (sort of like how plant life is a "living element"), or is it a non-living form?

Actually...are elemental plants "alive" in the canon, in the sense that Matoran or Agori are alive? :???:

1) I consider it life, in the plants sense. (Generally with no mind, though just as there was a Morbuzakh, it's possible there could be living virus elementals.) In the EM it can be seen as the poetic term for microbes in general, like Iron is for metals, so some could be bacterial rather than true viruses, and thus as alive as cells of plants. Actual viruses in real life are considered to be in a range from that down to "semi-alive". Not sure what Makuta viruses would be on that scale, but I would say there has to be some life in them (so theoretically some "life energy").

2) Not in the same sense as people, no, but in (almost) the same sense as muscle tissue, yes. No brains (again, though, there can be odd exceptions in Bionicle, so this is just a generalization), but made of living cells.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

About the same as for canon Toa of Plants. And like all elements, the strength of effect goes up with experience, and with elemental energy spent. I imagine that the things Makuta could do with them would require a lot of experience; normal uses would be more like making a target feel weak (or feel stronger if you wanted to help them). Also I believe we stated that the viruses have to be short-lived, so (non-fatal) effects are temporary.

• 2 months later...

I felt that because it was a basic of the realm, it should be mentioned in that section, but also an object, in the other. If memory serves, one goes into a little more detail.

You may have covered this, so forgive me, but 1) do Toa/Matoran live on Promathus? 2) I can't write Bio fanfictions very well, so would I be allowed to make a MOC for someone to put into their writing? 3) related to 2, can the established masks be considered to be carved into established shapes (shapes of actual made masks)?

Time is my frenemy. So is money.
May the classics never die and may the future find a new set of Toa.

BZPRPG Character

You may have covered this, so forgive me, but 1) do Toa/Matoran live on Promathus? 2) I can't write Bio fanfictions very well, so would I be allowed to make a MOC for someone to put into their writing? 3) related to 2, can the established masks be considered to be carved into established shapes (shapes of actual made masks)?

I think I can cover this:

1) Yes, Toa and Matoran live on Promathus. I'm pretty sure they're on every world actually. The only world specific species I can think of are the Tyrants.

2) Pretty sure this is fine. Creating characters and saying people are free to use them for their own writings is basically offering EM freeware. As long as you're cool with it, this should be fine :)

3) Not entirely sure what you mean here. If you mean "do masks from the original Bionicle cannon have the same shape as they normally do?" then yes, they do. If you mean "can masks that we have established for the EM come the shapes of actual masks in the real world?" then yes, they can. I'm pretty sure (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) that the actual shape of the mask doesn't have to relate to the power it contains, they just generally do to make them easily identifiable for the user. One of my EM characters owns quite a few different masks, and all of them are shaped like Kakamas with sharpened edges :P

Hope this helped ^_^

Astris Janus

Right, new forum, new signature. Or, at least, a reboot.

20795.jpg

Dual Sides; An Expanded Multiverse Epic

Bionicle Anime: Toa Mata

"If at first you don't succeed, redefine success."
- Anonymous

I think I can cover this:

1) Yes, Toa and Matoran live on Promathus. I'm pretty sure they're on every world actually. The only world specific species I can think of are the Tyrants.

2) Pretty sure this is fine. Creating characters and saying people are free to use them for their own writings is basically offering EM freeware. As long as you're cool with it, this should be fine :)

3) Not entirely sure what you mean here. If you mean "do masks from the original Bionicle cannon have the same shape as they normally do?" then yes, they do. If you mean "can masks that we have established for the EM come the shapes of actual masks in the real world?" then yes, they can. I'm pretty sure (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) that the actual shape of the mask doesn't have to relate to the power it contains, they just generally do to make them easily identifiable for the user. One of my EM characters owns quite a few different masks, and all of them are shaped like Kakamas with sharpened edges :P

Hope this helped ^_^

Astris Janus

Thanks. In regards to the shape and power relation, I'm certain it was established in main canon that shape matters little, it's only a memory/recognizing standard. Glad to hear it extends to here. In regards to giving people characters, am I allowed dictate, as the creator of the character MOC, their personality and elemental predilections?

Edited by Toa_of_Regret

Time is my frenemy. So is money.
May the classics never die and may the future find a new set of Toa.

BZPRPG Character

Thanks. In regards to the shape and power relation, I'm certain it was established in main canon that shape matters little, it's only a memory/recognizing standard. Glad to hear it extends to here. In regards to giving people characters, am I allowed dictate, as the creator of the character MOC, their personality and elemental predilections?

If you are putting up a character and allowing anyone to use it within their EM stories, then yeah you can dictate how that character is personality wise and elementally. If people want to use your character they will, and if they don't like this or that about it they can always make new characters inspired by yours (preferably giving you some credit either way) :)

If, however, you are collaborating with someone by making a character to use in their story... well, that's entirely between you and them really :)

Astris Janus

Right, new forum, new signature. Or, at least, a reboot.

20795.jpg

Dual Sides; An Expanded Multiverse Epic

Bionicle Anime: Toa Mata

"If at first you don't succeed, redefine success."
- Anonymous

Not really; Memoirs is a higher priority due to involving canon. So, after that is finished, which depends on how the rest of judging goes. (Hopefully quick, but we'll see.)

• 2 months later...

Where can I find the Paracosmos series? I read the Agent Crisis a while ago and really liked it.

Kopaka, the coolest(Pun intended) Ko-Toa ever:

Comic_Blizzard_Blade_In_Use.png      

"If the fight had turned, Exann might be the one on the floor with Antidermis spurting out of him. This is how battle is. This is how life is." -Mar'jik, Corpus Rahkshi                                       

This isn't quite the place for that question (a PM to me or question on my profile comments would have been better), but answer is that right now most of it isn't available due to the various problems BZP has had. I'm planning to re-release them soonishish (but how soon I have no idea; busy with the contests and my retelling), and you can keep an eye on my sig and blog for news. :)

I'm assuming here that you did mean to ask about my personal fanfic series, the Paracosmos. If instead you meant the Expanded Multiverse Cipher Chronicles, given the context and topic you asked it in, see link to PDF versions in the first post. :)

Ah, sorry. I completely forgot about PMs, and I didn't know what a Profile comment was.

Yes, I did mean the EM Cipher Chronicles.

Thanks.

Kopaka, the coolest(Pun intended) Ko-Toa ever:

Comic_Blizzard_Blade_In_Use.png      

"If the fight had turned, Exann might be the one on the floor with Antidermis spurting out of him. This is how battle is. This is how life is." -Mar'jik, Corpus Rahkshi                                       

• 2 weeks later...

I think what I'm about to say goes here: It's been a while, but the EM Reference topic might need an update. From how I look at it, it's a cluttered mess.

-Tomdroidser

Featuring: Arkham Firefly/The LEGO Movie Quiz

Now Entering: The Rise of DarkSaber
Two personal thanks to Black Six for Proto Boost.
(Expired) Topics: HF MOC BBC #69 Entry: Jaller Inika Rebuilt 

There is no such thing as perfection, except in being yourself.kanohi_avkama.gif

Question on sand. Was the main reason for making sand it's own element the fact that the Sand Tribe existed on SM, or for some other reason?

Bonesiii, I know we discussed this before, but I've lost the messages and wanted to get your answer again if I could. =]

Looking at sand in the real world, I'm seeing that it really isn't just tiny stones and rocks all the time, so there is a real world basis for it being a separate element I suppose, but I wanted to see what the reasoning from you all was for a sand element.

Thanks

Was the main reason for making sand it's own element the fact that the Sand Tribe existed on SM

Yep. :) That and that the canon definition of it is particle sizes between the particle size definitions of Earth and Stone. As far as I recall. :P

And I know about the format glitch. Will get to it eventually, sorry about that.

I think what I'm about to say goes here: It's been a while, but the EM Reference topic might need an update. From how I look at it, it's a cluttered mess.

-Tomdroidser

Why is EM even on Storyline and Theory section and not on the Fan-created Media part.

hereheis.gif

--------------

Reach Heaven by Violence.

And while you are at it, see Bionicle characters as Magical Girls.

Hm, glad you asked, 'cuz the answer was on the old FAQ, and now I see we apparently lost the FAQ to the archives. I don't seem to have saved a copy on my hard drive. -_-

Anyways, short answer is 1) it was inspired by a similar project in S&T by the original forum leader, before my time, which was also a pinned project here (old incarnation). 2) It's more than just one person's fanfics; it's a collaboration that is also tied into the canon in some key ways, and is "fanon" -- a (multiple) fan-made canon. However, its S&T involvement it limited to specially approved topics; actual stories taking place in it belong in the Library, and many have been put there (at least prior to the switchover to the new forum and loss of archives). When/if we do callouts for guest authors those go in the Library too (at least the one we did so far did).

3) Back on the old forums it also made the tie-in to the Bionicle Reference Center more logical, since we could put the submitted content (due to its "others can use it" nature) in an easily findable place then. Now S&T serves the same purpose. 4) Our contests are also distinct from "write a story" contests which make more sense in the Library; it's making characters or objects, etc.

See previous post, Sar -- those points are covered there. :)

Fan-made collaboration that seemingly consists of only one person, and still does not in anyway have anything to do with storylines and theories.

Also, who even gave you the permission of calling me "Sar" anyway.

Edited by SarracenianKaijin
  • Upvote 2

hereheis.gif

--------------

Reach Heaven by Violence.

And while you are at it, see Bionicle characters as Magical Girls.

Fan-made collaboration that seemingly consists of only one person, and still does not in anyway have anything to do with storylines and theories.

Also, who even gave you the permission of calling me "Sar" anyway.

Bones already answered your question, Sar. It may seem to you to only consist of one person, but that is mainly because of reduced activity across the forums. It is an officially-sanctioned BZPower project to allow fans of Bionicle to add on to the official storyline (hence its location in Storyline & Theories). If you have a problem with it, you don't need to read the topics. If you have a problem with Bones or anyone on the staff, you can take it up with me.
  • Upvote 11

• 1 month later...

I was told that here is the place for EM discussion, so I came.

Someone explain to me why this thing is semi-canon. On the reference topic all I see is an annoying format, a messy page, a bunch of annoying fan-fic like words, stuff like BZ-Koro and the Wiki-Nui, and an annoying blabbering about some Olmak effect thing.

Maybe if someone explains to me what all this stuff is I may have a change of opinion, but until then this is what I firmly believe about this thing.

• Upvote 2

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

Well, I'm sorry you're annoyed. :P The format was a universal glitch that happened to BZPower as a whole (which I thought we all knew about, but okay :P), and a lot of older topics still haven't been fixed yet (I haven't had time for the ref topic for example). And we had originally used a wiki for reference, but as it was a freesite we were at the mercy of the hosting service, which decided to stop hosting any wikis, so bam.

I'll get back to it when I can but right now the Memoirs topic is a higher priority. In the meantime, I recommend going to the first post in this topic, where you'll find a link to the stories, and reading them. :) [Edit: Since it seems B missed this part, lemme make it clear, I mean first post of THIS topic. Yeah, the links from the ref topic are wrong, but I'm hoping to make complete PDFs for that. The PDFs linked to from this topic's firstpost, I believe, are missing a few images and such. But they have the story content itself so suffice for the meantime.]

As for semi-canon, we don't really describe it that way, but technically it's accurate. Greg approved the use of the Olmak that Takanuva left behind for the (non-mysterious part of the otherwise mysterious) origins of the Multiverse, and several of the canon masks like the Mask of Biomechanics were originally defined for the EM and canonized by Greg. Also the Xian Weapons contest involved both canon and the EM. The EM takes place in an alternate dimension, not the Bionicle Core Dimension, so whatever else we define is unrelated, but we do take cautions to make sure everything is plausibly consistent with canon so far as alternate universes can go. Primarily the story is about the central mysteries, though (which you can find out about the fun way in the Cipher Chronicles stories :)).

As for BZ-Koro and Wiki-Nui, those are symbolic interpretations of BZP and BS01 which were part of the original inspiration for it. I would strongly recommend not leaping to judgments like "annoying" before you're really familiar with something, BTW. Most people who have followed the EM over the years have told us they enjoy it a lot; my guess is your annoyance is a result of the current damaged state of it due to those site problems. But eventually we'll get that all straightened out, so please be patient and understanding about that. :) (Or at least direct your annoyance toward the causes of those problems which aren't any of us. :P We'd agree there lol.) The next major thing on the to-do list after Memoirs is finished is an EM contest for example, then the finale of the first season.

As for when to expect the reftopic to get fixed, I dunno.

Edited by bonesiii

The Olmak Takanuva left behind, do you mean from the Toa Empire? 

Since this is technically canon, why isn't it anywhere on BS01, besides the masks you said Greg approved for canon?

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

There's tons that isn't on BS01; Greg approving the use of that mask is more important for us than for general Bionicle reference. However, it should be in one of the Greg archives somewhere. :) (The Xian weapons are also on BS01, though.) Also, the 100-page guide has been hosted there. I forget if the copy we now have up still is, but yeah. (But why would it matter?)

If you're trying to say that you actually dislike the EM, just remember how personal taste works. But I'm wondering if you meant that, since it sounds like you aren't actually familiar with it yet. It's generally a bad idea to judge a book by its cover, yeah? =) But if you do read it and find out you have tastes that make you dislike it, that's okay. It happens.

Edited by bonesiii

I probably will give it a shot. I just remembered that I made a topic a while ago about how people dislike AUs just because they never read the serials, so I guess I dislike the EM just because of the horrid way the reference topic looks. Where do I start?

It looks like the only related page on BS01 is this http://biosector01.com/wiki/index.php/BIONICLEsector01_Expanded_Universe

You say loads of stuff is not on BS01, which loads and why? Is there a problem with putting EM stuff up there? It is canon, correct? Shouldn't the worlds greatest BIONICLE encyclopedia have this stuff there if it is?

Edited by Boidoh

Boidoh, your latest post seems like you missed details in my previous answers. I believe I answered all of that there, except for why BS01 doesn't include every detail of what Greg has ever said -- they only have so much space, and it can be found elsewhere. Admittedly, now that BZP's archives are lost, a lot of what Greg said is lost (in posts), but it wouldn't really make sense to expect a wiki to reproduce every word of an author. I'm not aware of any fiction reference wikis doing that. I suppose a trivia note on the Olmak page would be nice, come to think of it, but eh. Pinned at the top of S&T is enough (some complain about even that, so yeah).

And yeah, judging the EM because of the current state of the reftopic is a very bad idea! That has nothing to do with it. I just haven't had time to fix it yet, and BZP has been pretty inactive until recently.

I decided to check out this Cipher Chronicles stuff but none of the links work, except for the 5th one which I think is Current Events.

So what you're saying is that the reason this EM stuff isn't up there is because they lack space? If I go on the Olmak page and add something to the trivia section, or on the history section and add something pertaining to the Expanded Multiverse it wont be mercilessly reverted by one of the higher uppers? It just seems odd if this is called canon, and it seems to have a lot of lore and stuff to it, but isn't on BS01. I don't know if it is just me but it seems weird. 

I dislike getting involved in this, but the links to the stories in this post work: 

Conveniently enough, I happen to have PDF versions of all the Cipher Chronicles episodes so far (they're sooo good, congratulations to all the writers).

Safety in Numbers

Escape the Fire

Cold Truth

Sticks and Stones

Current Events

I didn't actually check if the archives of them are still down, but if they do again or if anyone wants offline versions of the Cipher Chronicles, I'll leave these here.

I might read these someday. Honestly I have had less interest and higher priorities as of yet. 

B, it still sounds like you missed parts of my earlier answers, as I said the working links to the stories are linked to in the first post of this topic. That goes to the post fishers just quoted, which still work.

Keep in mind that Greg also said all fanfics are valid as alternate dimensions. Yet we wouldn't expect to see BS01 suddenly become a registry of all fanfics. The only purpose of that would be extra advertising for this, and IMO pinned in S&T is enough. (And the many pages of BS01 mentioned previously that do mention the EM already tip people off that it exists. They can then search to learn more if they're curious. :)) And no, it isn't weird. There are thousands of details not mentioned on BS01, as I said.

If you want to try that, I wouldn't mind, but please PM Swert specifically about it to ask, rather than just adding it without permission. I might ask later myself if I remember, though. :)

Edited by bonesiii
  • Upvote 1