What do you think of Nexo Knights?

Lenny7092

Hi, guys!:) What do you think of one of the newest Lego themes, Nexo Knights?

Nexo Knights is released in 2016 and currently running. The theme replaced Legends of Chima, which went from 2013 to 2015. It takes place in a world where medieval times and futuristic technology are mixed together. There are a team of five heroic knights called the Nexo Knights protecting the world and their kingdom from an evil jester named Jestro, a manipulative evil being named Monstrox, and their armies of monsters of two kinds, lava and stone. There is a wizard named Merlok, who turned from physical human to a digital form, giving the Knights magical powers called the Nexo Powers that can help them defeat the monsters. The Knights also go on quests to prevent the bad guys from getting evil magical books and tablets with powers that could destroy the kingdom.

Anyway, the sets are very cool. They use a lot of interesting new pieces, including the very-nice-looking transparent orange pieces and lightning bolts. The character packs, the sets' play functions, and the power-up stuff are very neat, too. The app game, Merlok 2.0, seems to be fun. Collecting Nexo Powers, which are transparent pentagon shield pieces, and their evil counterparts called the Forbidden Powers and scanning them in the app seems to make the game more enjoyable. They are like Kanohi Masks, Krana, Kraata, and Kanoka from Bionicle.:)

There is also a TV show for the theme. It's made by the people who made the Legends of Chima show in 2013-2014, as it has similar animation. It also has the same group of voice actors as the Ninjago show. I watched and liked the show. It's good, very cool, and funny. Plus, I like the action and character development.:)

However, there are some problems I find, including the Knights being so late to stop the villains from reaching their ultimate goals as they stop the villains at the same minute. It's like the Knights are procrastinating until the last minute sort of. I mean, the Knights unintentionally let the villains collect all twelve evil magic books, collecting Forbidden Powers without being stopped by the Knights, turn one of the Knights named Clay Moorington into stone, Merlok didn't find a cure for him yet, Merlok almost got killed or had his memories wiped by the villains, and the Knights almost got their ability to use their Nexo Powers lost. The show doesn't show much of the villains carrying their weapons or all of their features, including their accurate descriptions (like Jestro not having balls on his hat in the show despite the balls being shown in his sets) from their sets. Another of the Knights, Lance Richmond, is so spoiled that he upsets everyone without learning his lessons about his bad manners. The third of the Knights, Macy Halbert, doesn't look any of his parents and why she doesn't do their job as the princess of their kingdom often, which aren't explained. Why Monstrux is evil is not explained, either. How the fourth of the Knights named Axl has an abnormally big upper body is not explained as well, neither we know his last name. Even though that Clay is an orphan, his and the fifth of the Knights named Aaron Fox's parents are never shown, and we don't know what happened to them. The show doesn't show every character from the sets, as there is no appearance for those Sparkks-like Grimrocs (would be cool if it did, so those Burnzie-like Grimrocs could have their close friends and partners, like Sparkks and Burnzie (Lava Monsters) ). These not-shown habits are what I would call false advertisements. The same problem goes to the app, too. I'm a bit annoyed by that. Lego constant has a habit of play each season of the show in other countries before the seasons can be played in the US. Lego doesn't say air dates for them sooner along the way, either. I also don't like the fact that the episodes are played in early mornings nowadays instead of nights (I'm a heavy sleeper, and probably this happens the same to others).

We also don't know if the Knights' world is one of Ninjago's Sixteen (or now Fourteen) Realms, but it seems like it in many ways.

The sets and TV series don't show all of the Forbidden Powers from the app, neither do the sets show all of the evil magic books from the show. The sets never have a minifigure for that sculpting guy in Seasons 3 and 4, as he is a secondary antagonist who is helping the evil Stone Monsters. Also, neither the app or the TV show present the Knights' mechs combining with some of the sets' powering-up parts, as these are only shown in the sets and some promo videos.

I wonder if the theme itself is failing nowadays, and thus I'm not sure if it can continue next year. (To be honest, here's my secret, I kinda blame the theme for Bionicle G2's horrible and unfair end in 2016 (it lasted from 2015 to 2016.:( ) and the Mixels' end in the same year (it lasted from 2014 to 2016.:( ) because Lego is doing a lot of priorities nowadays.).

All of these are all parts of my opinion on the entire Nexo Knights franchise. It's not the best theme, but I like it.:)

So, what are you guys' opinions on the theme? Do you also think that the theme would get successful and have its own The Lego Movie in The Lego Movie Cinematic Universe, like Ninjago? For me, I'm not sure, but I would say maybe a little.

As I said, what do you guys think of Nexo Knights?:)

• Upvote 1

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

I feel Chima had a stronger lore and better world building than Nexo knights dose. I'm in the minority that actually liked Chima as a whole. Yes the TV show was a bit silly but even those silly shows had character and world building.

I think Nexo Knights is okay but not great. I only bought a couple sets and that was really just for parts.

• Upvote 1

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

• 2 weeks later...

It's no Ninjago.

• Upvote 1

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.
So far as I'm aware, it's pronounced like this: We're ee ah moo.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

G1 Battle for Spherus Magna - G2 A Lingering Shadow

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

Mask Hoarder, Desert Scourge

I understand that it has earned a lot of ire from the AFOL community for melding space and castle as long as it's around, but I personally really like the campy 80's sci-fi aesthetic mixed with medieval fantasy tropes. I know next to nothing of the lore, but it doesn't look like it has much of that to go around, however the sets themselves look pretty great. Some of the best vehicles Lego has made in years, methinks. 

:kakama:

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

I don't mind the aesthetic, it just comes off as garish for some reason. Like, castle-and-space combo sounds neat on paper and all, I just feel like something got lost. Maybe the sets look too much like a jumble half the time. I dunno. I wanna like it, but I pretty much don't.

• Upvote 2

Hand-drawn, bespoke avatar by none other than Mushy the Mushroom.

a body adrift in water, salt, and sky

I think, the mixing of castle and technology was a cool idea that could have been done better. That said, some of the sets are cool, especially the 2016 villains since they're probably the closest thing to demons we'll ever get from LEGO. The book piece Nexo Knights introduced is great as well.

As for the show, it's pretty meh, but I like that they try to give a good bit of screen time to each of the monsters, which helps a lot, considering the heroes are comparatively bland.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I've watched through the entire show to this point, I really don't like how they handled the Nexo powers there. While in the sets they seem to be a collectible aspect and offer a variety of different themes, in the show, they all serve the same purpose. (Allowing the knights to banish the monsters.) Just a little thing that somewhat irked me.

Also the sickness episode was just so totally gross.

• 1 month later...

Hi, guys! I would like to say this today: Has anyone watched Season 4 (based on summer wave sets). It was very good, but could’ve been better.

Here are my thoughts about it:

-It was still sad that Clay got turned to a stone a statue last season. The Nexo Knights tried to let the kingdom know that Clay is fine, but they failed (as usual, and most of the time before they would finally succeed at the end of each season), so they had to tell only the king and queen about Clay’s condition. The rulers also don’t want to tell the whole kingdom about Clay, either, because they don’t want the kingdom to worry about him. I find that kind of sad.

-It’s cool and interesting that the students from the Nexo Knights’ school can use Nexo Powers.

-Monstrox brought Clay back to life as a Stone Monster who follows his every command, like all other Stone Monsters. He even used Clay to try to destroy the Nexo Knights, as the Knights don’t want to hurt him. That was very sad. Well, good thing that Merlok undid Monstrox’s Control on Stone Clay. Plus, the Knights reminded Clay that he is Clay. I find it heart-warming.

-Stone Clay is very cool. I mean, he can destroy a Stone Monster and Forbidden Power, either be a power made of others by Lord Krakenskull or a single power, in one hit. He also has super-strength and super-toughness.

-It’s cool that Clay did some undercover to learn about the Stone villains’ plan to awaken the Ultimate Colossus of Ultimate Destruction (tell that to Bionicle G2’s Mask of Ultimate Power) in one episode.

-It’s sad to see that Ruina Stoneheart, the evil Stone witch from an episode in Season 3 where Clay was turned into a statue, cursed him with a dark magical spell that causes him to act aggressive and irrational like a Stone Monster. Plus, she made Clay unable to hurt her.

-The spell made Clay act worse. This made his friends feel that they want the old Clay with a calm conscience back, and they didn’t like that Clay ruined their mission to see what the Monsters are up to at one time in one episode. Clay felt bad about it. Clay may have stopped the Monsters from bring the Forbidden Power of Confounding Confusion to their mountain, but he went too far as he went animal and Hulk from Marvel and tried to kill Jestro. Good thing that the Knights told Clay to stop.

-Things get sadder when Ruina revealed to be Clay’s mother (Geez. It’s like Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, Ninjago, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Samurai Jack’s Season 5, and Spider-Man: Homecoming when it comes to crazy things about heroes’ parents being evil villains) This made Clay feel bad, and when discovered that Merlok knew about that fact, he got upset because of the spell. He also discovered that he has magical powers, like his mother. Merlok never told Clay about his mother before this because he didn’t want Clay to turn evil like Ruina.

-Clay told his fellow Fortrex members to lock him up for their own protection because he feared that he would became even worse because of the spell. However, Macy tried to help Clay, but Clay was warning her to not do it because of his cursed behavior before he went out of control and attacked her. Macy was just defending herself and was still trying to help Clay, but Clay didn’t think he can be helped, so he tried to convince Macy and Merlok to use a Nexo Power to turn him into a statue again. Despite Macy’s and Merlok’s protests, Clay used his magic to force them into using the Power to turn him back into a statue for their own protection. Macy felt very upset about that. Oh, boy. That was very depressing.

-It’s sad and shocking that Merlok revealed to the Knights that Ruina is Clay’s mother roamed Wanda, who was turned evil by Monstrox long ago. Merlok had to stop her from doing evil things by turning her into a statue. He didn’t Clay to know about his hertitage because he didn’t want Clay to turn evil, like his mother, as I said. Plus, he also revealed to be Wanda’s brother, which makes Clay his nephew (Again, it’s like Ninjago, where Lloyd has a good uncle and an evil parent).

-I thought the scenes involving the Forbidden Powers of Metal Morphosis, Malicious Melting, and Evil Evaporate are rushed for some reason. Pretty annoying.

-I find scenes involving Jestro using these Forbidden Powers and Confounding Confusion very funny.

-It’s very cool that Krakenskull can combine Forbidden Powers, like the Combo Nexo Powers. I know that Monstrox needed ten Forbidden Powers to awaken the Colossus and there are more than ten Forbidden Powers, but I would like Krakenskull to combine all Forbidden Powers in existence. (22, I think. I counted the ones from the sets, website, the app game, and the show) into 10 Powers, so the Colossus would be more powerful than he was in the show.

-Sadly, the show still doesn’t have all Stone Monsters from 2017 sets appear. The Burnzie Grimrocs don’t have their Sparkks counterparts to partner with. There are no signs of the Bedrock Monster or that cage-like one from that castle set with the Merlok mech in summer 2017.

-The Bricksters may have appeared in one episode, but I feel that one episode isn’t enough. The Stone Monster could’ve have these guys as more little troopers to have on their journeys in more episodes in my opinion.

-It’s awesome that the Nexo Knights have their mechs combined with their vehicles finally (I wonder what took them so long). Clay could’ve done the same thing with his stuff, though.

-The Forbidden Power of Awesome Annihilation is crazy awesome.

-The Colossus of Ultimate Destruction is crazy awesome, too. Plus, it’s very interesting that it’s actually like a mech without a soul, so the Cloud of Monstrox used it as his new body. Also, the Colossus was actually the mountain that Jestro was transferring the Forbidden Powers into before it was awakened. The Colossus is crazy huge, like a mountain, looks better than the set, can use the Forbidden Powers that Jestro transferred into it, and is very tough, too. Event the Nexo Knights couldn’t use a Combo Nexo Power to defeat it or attacking the pedestals on its head that have the Forbidden Powers.

-It’s very cool and heart-warming that Clay somehow used his magic to cure himself from being a stone statue. Plus, his arm is glowing with magic, similar to Cole from Ninjago. (I wonder how come Merlok didn’t cure Clay earlier, though)

-It’s very cool and interesting that Robin turned a part of King Halbert’s castle into a transport rocket.

-It’s also very cool that Merlok turned into a mech-like version of himself, so he can move around like a normal and physical human being again. Plus, he can fight again.

-It’s awesome that Clay can use a Combo Nexo Power since he’s magical.

-It’s also awesome that Clay and Merlok worked together to destroy the Colossus and ended the Stone Monster threat. I wonder if Monstrox survived the Colossus’ destruction or not.

-The final battle in the last Season 4 episode is epic.

-It’s annoying that Jestro had been evil for the whole Seasons 3 and 4, and the Knights never bothered to knock some scene into him again, like they did at the end of Season 2. However, when the Colossus is defeated, this caused Jestro got turned back to his good-hearted normal self again as Monstrox’s spell was broken because of the defeat.

-I don’t know how Ruina is the only Stone Monster that’s moving around despite the Colossus’ defeat, and I wonder what is that green-energy glowing rock that she found from the Colossus’ debris. I think I have a feeling that Monstrox may be alive and is hiding in there somehow.

-I feel bad that Clay couldn’t see his mother, but Merlok told him that he and the Knights will help Clay find her. I hope that can happen in 2018.

-The humor is very good.

-I like the Knights’ new vehicles.

-The Knights don’t use Combo Nexo Powers often, still.

-I am still annoyed with the show keep coming during early mornings nowadays. Plus, I read in Wikipedia that the Season 4 episodes have less viewers than other episode. Is the show not going well? This viewer problem applied to Ninjago’s Season 7.

So that’s that. I know that it’s long, but that’s my review.:)

Also, I have some other thoughts:

-The Colossus

-I hope that Ninjago and Nexo Knights can have a crossover somehow in summer 2018. I mean, these guys have a lot of similarities. The Nexo Knights’ could be one of the Ninjago franchise’s Fourteen Realms because of the similarities (Anyone suspicious of that?).

-As much as Hero Factory is like Bionicle, Nexo Knights is also like Ninjago. Think of it, as Nexo Knights is like Hero Factory when it is a technology-based version of a theme that involves elemental powers. Bionicle is a constraction theme about elemental powers, Hero Factory is a constraction theme with technology, Ninjago is a minifigure theme about elemental powers, and Nexo Knights is a minifigure them with technology. So, Nexo Knights is like a combination of Ninjago and Hero Factory. See what I mean? Anyone agree with that?

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)