Biological Chronicle: The Complete Bionicle Collection

TuragaNuva

Fixed a passage that had been changed in the first chapter of Book 1 (right after "Near it he saw several components lying in the sand"): in the original text, Tahu finds his sword in two pieces, but the compilation text had been modified to say it was just one piece (Toatapio, did you do this? I don't remember making this change).

I have no memory of making such a change, but it's certainly likely that it was my fault, considering that the book type-ups came from me. Perhaps I was somehow bothered by the sword being in two pieces? I really have no idea at this point... :notsure:

Might've been edited since that's potentially one of Hapka's Nuva/original Toa confusion slipups that made it to print - the key art of the Nuva has Tahu with his magma swords combined into one big sword.

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

BIG

UPDATE

TIME

So, this is something I've been planning for a long time now. It's taken this long because A) it's just been a decent bit of work, and B) I wanted to hold off on it until more proofreading had been done on the compilation as-is.

Anyway, without further ado: the multimedia update! Biological Chronicle Books 1, 2, 5, and 8 now include QR codes - which are also clickable (or tappable on mobile) links - in places where there is a piece of video media that covers the same story as a given passage of text. These links will send you to the video for that scene on Youtube - and these videos have had all typos edited out, and are trimmed down so they fit to canon (the same as the compilation text). This way, readers can read the text version, or watch the video version of scenes that have one. Huge thanks to Peri for sending me the necessary files to run/record the '01 and '02 Flash animations at their original framerate!

These QR codes have brackets next to them that indicate the text that they correspond to. If there is not a bracket next to a QR code, then its video corresponds to everything up through the end of the chapter (which usually just means the whole page it's on).

Since I'm not sure if everyone will like these, I have made separate versions of Books 1, 2, 5, 8, and the complete collection which don't include these links (on a related note, I've also changed the version lists in the first post to bulleted lists, in an effort to make them more readable).

Some other small updates that I've just posted:
  • Fixed a few ellipses in Book 1 and Book 10 that had an extra space in front of them
  • Removed the single-pixel-wide borders (some remnant of the digital conversion process I used) on the left and right of the comic page at the beginning of chapter 13 in Book 1
    • I fixed the alignment of this comic page as well - its top edge was slightly below the top of the page
  • Added missing "End Chapter" to the end of the last of the '05 comics in one version of Book 5 (apologies, I don't remember which version was missing it - but they should all have it now)
That's it for now! I hope people like having this new option to view the original video format of some parts of the story.

Fixed a passage that had been changed in the first chapter of Book 1 (right after "Near it he saw several components lying in the sand"): in the original text, Tahu finds his sword in two pieces, but the compilation text had been modified to say it was just one piece (Toatapio, did you do this? I don't remember making this change).

I have no memory of making such a change, but it's certainly likely that it was my fault, considering that the book type-ups came from me. Perhaps I was somehow bothered by the sword being in two pieces? I really have no idea at this point... :notsure:
I think I figured it out: if memory serves, I didn't actually use your transcription for the beginning of Tale of the Toa - I used one that I found online elsewhere. Whoever transcribed that one must have made that change. Really sorry for blaming you for it! I'd totally forgotten that I had used a different source for that bit of transcription. Edited by TuragaNuva
  • Upvote 3

sigbanner.gif

"Two turned out to be blades, shaped into the form of leaping red flames. They fitted together into a sword, the handle sitting comfortably in his clawed hand."

I really like this. I understand why it was changed to one sword, but I always liked the idea that Tahu's flame sword was two pieces that fit together. For some reason, that always made sense to me - the actual blade on the Tahu Mata figure's sword looked as though it could be made by overlapping two blades.

I realize this is just changing the text back to the original, slightly erroneous version; but I still appreciate it. I kind of like the idea that Tahu's sword is just a hilt that created an actual flame, as shown in MNOG, but if it has to be a physical blade then this level of detail is nice.

Regarding Book 2 - and I can't remember if I've brought this up before (forgive me), but I'm a bit confused as to why Le-Koro Liberated! and Last Moment Save! aren't listed directly after the Lewa/Onua fight in the comics. It didn't really bug me when it was all in a shortened text format, but with the QR media I think it would be better if the stories led off from each other. While there's no mention of time passing in the chapter books, Le-Koro Liberated! and Last Moment Save! each imply an entire day/night cycle. It... frustrates me a bit that we currently have the Toa Mata deciding to enter the Bohrok Nest immediately before night falls in Le-Koro Liberated; and then an entire battle takes place in Le-Koro, and then Takua, Jaller and Nuparu somehow have time to reach Ga-Koro, during which time the Toa Mata get a little bit deeper into the Bohrok nest and find the Exo Toa, and then night falls again in Ga-Koro?! The implication that the Toa spend the better part of two days seeking and fighting the Bahrag doesn't line up with what we see in the chapter book.

I think it would be better to, immediately after the comic Lewa/Onua fight, list Le-Koro Liberated, Island Wildlife On The Move, and Last Minute Save in that order (which implies that Takua has traveled from Le-Koro to Ga-Koro in Island Wildlife on the Move). I'll admit that it's somewhat frustrating that Kopaka and Tahu seem to hang around the entrance of the Bohrok Nest for a couple of days, but at least this way it's possible that the Toa are fighting Bohrok and collecting Krana during their travels and while they regroup.

In any case, I'm loving the QR code additions. It saves me a little bit of hassle googling those animations, but it also makes it clear that there *are* web animations, which is wonderful.
Edited by ArchAngelleofJustice
  • Upvote 1

Stories I wrote

Parts of a Whole Series: An Alternate Ending

Part 1: Fight for Freedom                        Wisps of Memory

Part 2: Army of One (In Progress)

Short Stories:
The Great Takara          
Tale of the Toa Stones          Masks

...oh my.

I wasn't expecting this.

While I have nothing against the QR codes, the main post looks like a nightmare with all the different editions now. For a new reader, it's probably quite a daunting sight, since they won't have a clear idea on where to click. I really feel sorry for you too, having to keep track of all of them.

As for the inclusion of the QR codes, it opens up a plethora of ideas (which is both exciting and terrifying). You could link to games like the MNOG or The Legend Continues, to the promo animations of individual characters, audio tracks and serial podcasts... heck, you could even link to promotional websites or archived versions of bionicle.com.

The nice thing about these codes though is that they're relatively unintrusive, just existing on the side without interrupting the reading experience unless the reader really wants to see the associated media. So it's definitely a nifty little addition overall.

For a new reader, it's probably quite a daunting sight, since they won't have a clear idea on where to click.

Seconded. If I might offer a suggestion, maybe the "Standard/Recommended" edition of the complete collection should be at the very top of the list of links, with, "If you're totally new, start here," written underneath it.

1554824458_Signature1.thumb.png.b92b35987fd64998219a7750ccf7f46f.png134107221_Signature2.thumb.png.4cbc1d79cb2860c534af37071132810a.png

Regarding Book 2 - and I can't remember if I've brought this up before (forgive me), but I'm a bit confused as to why Le-Koro Liberated! and Last Moment Save! aren't listed directly after the Lewa/Onua fight in the comics. It didn't really bug me when it was all in a shortened text format, but with the QR media I think it would be better if the stories led off from each other. While there's no mention of time passing in the chapter books, Le-Koro Liberated! and Last Moment Save! each imply an entire day/night cycle. It... frustrates me a bit that we currently have the Toa Mata deciding to enter the Bohrok Nest immediately before night falls in Le-Koro Liberated; and then an entire battle takes place in Le-Koro, and then Takua, Jaller and Nuparu somehow have time to reach Ga-Koro, during which time the Toa Mata get a little bit deeper into the Bohrok nest and find the Exo Toa, and then night falls again in Ga-Koro?! The implication that the Toa spend the better part of two days seeking and fighting the Bahrag doesn't line up with what we see in the chapter book.

I think it would be better to, immediately after the comic Lewa/Onua fight, list Le-Koro Liberated, Island Wildlife On The Move, and Last Minute Save in that order (which implies that Takua has traveled from Le-Koro to Ga-Koro in Island Wildlife on the Move). I'll admit that it's somewhat frustrating that Kopaka and Tahu seem to hang around the entrance of the Bohrok Nest for a couple of days, but at least this way it's possible that the Toa are fighting Bohrok and collecting Krana during their travels and while they regroup.

This is a good point, thanks! I will look into fixing this ASAP.

...oh my.

I wasn't expecting this.

While I have nothing against the QR codes, the main post looks like a nightmare with all the different editions now. For a new reader, it's probably quite a daunting sight, since they won't have a clear idea on where to click. I really feel sorry for you too, having to keep track of all of them.

As for the inclusion of the QR codes, it opens up a plethora of ideas (which is both exciting and terrifying). You could link to games like the MNOG or The Legend Continues, to the promo animations of individual characters, audio tracks and serial podcasts... heck, you could even link to promotional websites or archived versions of bionicle.com.

Ooh, linking to the serial podcasts is something I hadn't thought of... I did consider game links, but I'm not really sure where they would go. I mainly want links to things that correspond directly to chunks of text.

For a new reader, it's probably quite a daunting sight, since they won't have a clear idea on where to click.

Seconded. If I might offer a suggestion, maybe the "Standard/Recommended" edition of the complete collection should be at the very top of the list of links, with, "If you're totally new, start here," written underneath it.

You were both very correct about how messy the first post had gotten, so I've done my best to clean it up. Would really appreciate your feedback!

sigbanner.gif

I did consider game links, but I'm not really sure where they would go.

At least for MNOG, the version on Templar's own website would be fitting. For other games, I suppose the Biomedia project would be the best place to link to.

The new layout is an improvement. One suggestion though: for those books that do have the QR codes, remove the spaces between the lines. They look a bit inflated with the extra space between the different versions.

I did consider game links, but I'm not really sure where they would go.

At least for MNOG, the version on Templar's own website would be fitting. For other games, I suppose the Biomedia project would be the best place to link to.

Ha, I meant where in the compilation - but I guess it's more the "how" than the "where." I'm not sure how to quickly and cleanly convey to a new reader "this link will send you to a game that you should play a precise amount of before returning here to continue reading the next chapter." With text and short videos, it's easy enough to put a bracket next to the corresponding text, and trim the videos down where needed.

The new layout is an improvement. One suggestion though: for those books that do have the QR codes, remove the spaces between the lines. They look a bit inflated with the extra space between the different versions.

I would love to, but unfortunately that's how BZP formats sub-bullets (unless there's something I'm doing wrong). There is no blank line between those, they're just placed really far apart. Do you think it'd be better if they just weren't sub-bullets? Edited by TuragaNuva

sigbanner.gif

In that case I think you should get rid of the sub-bullets. Not sure what the alternative should be though...

And as for the game links, well, you could just put a link to MNOG at the first MNOG walkthrough chapter. For example. I don't know if linking MNOG would even work that well in the end, I was just making an example of what the QR codes could be used for. :P For other games it's less complicated, since they don't span an entire story year like MNOG does.

Maybe you could title those chapters to make it easier for fans to play? So the first Takua chapter could be called something like "Mata Nui Online Game: Beach & Ga-Koro" so that fans who want to play can follow along. You'd get some awkwardness at the Kini Nui section though.

Stories I wrote

Short Stories:
The Great Takara          

Ooh, nice work with the multimedia update! Gathered Friends will definitely use those versions from now on.

Speaking of the podcast, here are a couple of issues I found while reading Book 2. Not many this time!

Chapter 3:

"The Toa 'gaped' in amazement"

"Gasped", perhaps?

Wall of History, Last-Moment Save:

"Until the threat of the swarms 'is past'."

Should be "has passed".

-L- to the -K-

Sometimes, I look at my desk, and think, "What am I doing with my life?"

Then, I go back to my videogames.

I used to be known as 'Gresh's Thornax...Ouchy!!!', before I realised what a silly name it was.

Other previous names include Lihkan435 and Chip Biscuit.

Quick question, sorry if you've answered it before: where did you get the transcriptions for the podcast serials? Did you do them yourself? I just compared a chapter of Destiny War on BS01 to the original audio file and found a large number of transcription errors in the BS01 version. The text in your version already seems to have been corrected, though.

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies for my absence, everyone - I was an exhibitor at 2 different Lego conventions this month, so I've been a bit busy :P

Okay, I've actually looked into this now, and I remember now exactly why I placed them where I did: the text for "Le-Koro Liberated!" ends with Matau saying "As we rebuild, our thoughts must turn to the Toa and the great challenge that they face beneath Mata Nui." He's clearly referring to the Toa traveling down into the Bohrok nest - but it isn't until the chapter currently placed before this that the Toa decide to go there. Heck, none of the Toa besides Tahu and Kopaka even know that the nest exists until that chapter. I could potentially move "Last Moment Save!" a chapter later to help account for the long passage of time, but I don't really like the idea of putting that much of a break between the end of the chapter where the Toa defeat the Bahrag, and the beginning of the one where they fall into the Protodermis.

I'm open to suggestions, but I think this might just have to be a bit of time dilation.

Ooh, nice work with the multimedia update! Gathered Friends will definitely use those versions from now on.
Speaking of the podcast, here are a couple of issues I found while reading Book 2. Not many this time!

Chapter 3:
"The Toa 'gaped' in amazement"
"Gasped", perhaps?

Wall of History, Last-Moment Save:
"Until the threat of the swarms 'is past'."
Should be "has passed".

Thanks for the feedback! I don't think either of those things needs to be changed, though. From Dictionary dot com:

"gape (verb): 2. to open the mouth wide involuntarily, as the result of hunger, sleepiness, or absorbed attention."

"past (adjective): gone by or elapsed in time: It was a bad time, but it's all past now"

Quick question, sorry if you've answered it before: where did you get the transcriptions for the podcast serials? Did you do them yourself? I just compared a chapter of Destiny War on BS01 to the original audio file and found a large number of transcription errors in the BS01 version. The text in your version already seems to have been corrected, though.

Really sorry for taking so long to answer your question! I took the ones from BS01 as a base, but re-listened to the podcasts and fixed any errors myself. I also used the transcription of the final chapter of Dark Mirror that was printed in Makuta's Guide to the Universe, since it's presumably the original text that Greg read from.

Edited by TuragaNuva
  • Upvote 1

sigbanner.gif

Okay, I've actually looked into this now, and I remember now exactly why I placed them where I did: the text for "Le-Koro Liberated!" ends with Matau saying "As we rebuild, our thoughts must turn to the Toa and the great challenge that they face beneath Mata Nui." He's clearly referring to the Toa traveling down into the Bohrok nest - but it isn't until the chapter currently placed before this that the Toa decide to go there. Heck, none of the Toa besides Tahu and Kopaka even know that the nest exists until that chapter. I could potentially move "Last Moment Save!" a chapter later to help account for the long passage of time, but I don't really like the idea of putting that much of a break between the end of the chapter where the Toa defeat the Bahrag, and the beginning of the one where they fall into the Protodermis.

I'm open to suggestions, but I think this might just have to be a bit of time dilation.

Oh, that makes sense. I forgot about the text, that's a bit embarrassing.

Stories I wrote

Short Stories:
The Great Takara          

Hey everybody,

I've decided that, with Biological Chronicle in a near-final state, it's time for me to move on to something new - something that I really care about.

I'm proud to announce that I'm now working on Neo Shiftpendium, a complete collection of all Neo Shifters story material!

You can download it right here.

EDIT: April Fool's :P

Edited by TuragaNuva
  • Upvote 1

sigbanner.gif

Hey everybody,

I've decided that, with Biological Chronicle in a near-final state, it's time for me to move on to something new - something that I really care about.

I'm proud to announce that I'm now working on Neo Shiftpendium, a complete collection of all Neo Shifters story material!

You can download it right here.

Amazing work, TuragaNuva. I can't wait to see where this project goes. I mean, BIONICLE was cool and all, but I think it's time we all accept that Neo Shifters is the future.

Edited by JSLBrowning
  • Upvote 1

1554824458_Signature1.thumb.png.b92b35987fd64998219a7750ccf7f46f.png134107221_Signature2.thumb.png.4cbc1d79cb2860c534af37071132810a.png

• 3 weeks later...

Did Neo-Shifters actually have any story material? Also, will I have to scan the QR codes with a phone, or will they act like links. Thank you again, TuragaNuva, for creating this.

As far as I'm aware, it had absolutely none (so technically, I suppose my "compilation" of it did include everything :P).

You can just click them (or tap them if you're on a mobile device) - the QR code images have the links embedded.

You're welcome! I'm glad you like it.

sigbanner.gif

Did Neo-Shifters actually have any story material? Also, will I have to scan the QR codes with a phone, or will they act like links. Thank you again, TuragaNuva, for creating this.

It had a game and some short toy bios and website descriptions, but probably nothing more.

:kakama: 

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

Update time again! I've just made a large number of fixes to Book 4, as well as some minor fixes in Books 1, 3, 7, 8, and 9.

Before I get to the details: I'm currently looking for any and all title suggestions for the volumes of Biological Chronicle. I've heard from some readers that they would prefer different Book titles, so I'm going to spend some time taking submissions and then hold some polls to choose the final names. Please, if you have any ideas/suggestions for new titles - or if there are any titles you really want to stay unchanged - let me know!

Now, the update details:

• Book 1:
    • "Suddenly, another stone lands hard upon the ground nearby." - Some versions had an unnecessary paragraph break above this line
    • “Want to give us a hand? A farmer’s work is never done. It’s up to us to farm all the heat in Ta-Koro.” - Some versions had an unnecessary paragraph break above this line
  • Book 3:
    • “[…] new Kolhii Champion, eh?” says Marka as she sees her “Well, stranger things have happened. [...]” - Added a period after "sees her" (this line is only in the Complete version)
    • “It is bad enough the Bohrok-Kal menaced the island [...]” - this scene takes place when the Bohrok-Kal are still an active threat, so I've changed "menaced" to "menace"
    • "For years, the Toa have believed me defeated" (from first page of Rise of the Rahkshi comic, which is chapter 20 or 28 depending on the version) - Years cannot canonically have passed, so I've edited the comic text to "The Toa believed me defeated"
  • Book 4:
    • The spheres were created in every metru - This line refers to Kanoka, which are not spheres. Changed from "The spheres" to "They"
    • we had to save the ‘heart of the city’. - Period moved to before apostrophe
    • Me? Why would he want to outdo me? Vakama thought - Un-italicized Vakama's name
    • When Muaka lifted his right forepaw to strike - Muaka is not a name, so I added "the" before "Muaka"
    • "I hope so," Whenua powered down his drills. - Changed comma after "so" to period
    • But I’ll get them! - Added missing quotation mark to beginning of line
    • [...]two creatures crowded close to him. “N – n – no.” - replaced long, spaced dashes with hyphens
    • To his trained eye, it was abvious - Fixed spelling of obvious
    • Badly fix-patched chute, cut-severed end… why am I suprised? - Fixed spelling of "surprised"
    • dragging Vhisola and Orkahm behind her." - Removed unnecessary quotation mark at end of sentence
    • So rather than run from them -" - The dash at the end was getting pushed to the next line, so I manually moved "them" to the next line so it looks better
    • [...]bad things tend to happen whenever he's out my sight - Added "of" between "out" and "my"
    • Blank page between chapters (chapters 26/27 in the standard version)
    • Whenua turned back to his friends, saying. “Hopefully - Replaced period after "saying" with comma
    • something else – something awful and I was bound like this. - Added missing "–" after "awful"
    • Ko-Matoran have never liked crowds. - The use of "have" instead of "had," along with the context of the line, makes it appear that this was meant to be italicized as a continuation of Nokama's thought, so I've done so
    • in one direction and brought the powers bursts near to each other - Removed s from the end of "powers"
    • what would result if we combined out powers? - Changed "out" to "our"
    • Matoran surfed on disks, over the undulating floor trying to launch their Kanoka - Moved comma from after "disks" to after "floor"
    • One instance of Lhikan misspelled as "Lhikon"
    • They decided we Toa were a threat to the Metru Nui's security (from second comic page of chapter 39) - Removed "the" before "Metru Nui"
    • recovering from his first “solo flight.” - Matau has flown before this scene, so I've removed the word "first"
    • Ask him if the Dark Hunters trespassed with a ‘tall Matoran.’“ - Fixed end quote mark so that it's facing the right way now
    • For Toa used to the crowds and tall buildings of their metrus, - Removed s from the end of metru (which is the plural and the singular)
    • Krekka and Nidhiki were flanking the vehicle in their flight mode. - Added an "s" to the end of "mode," since the text as-is suggests they share a flight mode
    • now hung almost motionless in mid air. - Removed space in "midair"
    • Too bad there are no carving-signs saying, ‘This Way to Safe Spot’,” - Moved comma inside apostrophe
    • The telescopic lense built into his Mask of Power - Fixed spelling of "lens"
    • entire schools of fish were launching themselves out of the water at the Lhikan. - Italicized "Lhikan" (since it refers to the boat)
    • One squid like Rahi reached out with its tentacle - Added hyphen to "squid-like"
    • Fixed a number of periods and commas placed outside of quotation marks instead of inside
    • Replaced a number of hyphens at end of quotes with "–" (basically did a find and replace for -" to –" and -?" to –?")
  • Books 1, 3, 4, 7, 8, and 9:
    • Changed all instances of "mid-air" to "midair" for consistency (they were used interchangeably)

sigbanner.gif

Since I don't like the idea of using fan-invented titles, I would go with more obvious names:

1. Quest for the Masks
  2. The Bohrok Swarms
  3. The Mask of Light
  4. Legends of Metru Nui
  5. Web of Shadows
  6. Island of Doom
  7. Prisoners of the Pit
  8. The Final Battle
  9. The Legend Reborn
  10. Epilogue
  • Upvote 3

Thanks for detailing all the changes! I'm a bit sad that the 'Years later' in Book 3 had to go as I much prefer thinking of the timespan between the Bohrok Kal and Mask of Light as being years, but I guess it contradicts what Greg said later on so I can understand it.

As far as book names go, I think most of them are really good as it is.

Book 1: Infection - Honestly, I think this name is spot on and I'd prefer it left as is. It describes not only the infected masks, but also the idea of Makuta as an infection in Mata Nui. It's too perfect to change.

Book 2: Swarm - Pretty good. It's possible you could change it to something with a double meaning like Cleanse but I think Swarm is great.

Book 3: Masks - I think this is one of the weakest titles. Masks could just as easily refer to Book 1.
Some alternatives:
Revenge (from Makuta's Revenge)
Powerless (from the comic by the same name, describes the loss of the Toa Nuva's power but also Tahu being powerless to stop Ta-Koro being destroyed and also how Takua goes from having no power to being the Toa of Light)
Power (See above)

Book 4: Legends - This seems fine to me.

Book 5: Venom - Could be better.

Fractures (From the comic with the same name)

Book 6: Doomed - I like this one.

Book 7: Sacrifice - Not sure spoiling the ending is ideal.

Downfall, (from the book with the same name.) I've seen other compilations use Downfall for the 2007 story.

Book 8: Rising - Could be better.
Endgame (from the comic with the same name).
Destiny (I think Destiny fits 2008 far better than it does 2009)
Ignition (I know Ignition normally refers to the 2006-2007 story moreso than the 2008 story, but I think it's so fitting given the reveal that the Toa's goal in this is basically the ignition of a giant power generator).

Book 9: Destiny - I kind of hate this one? This story is far more about Unity than Destiny. Destiny only really applies in Journey's End, and considering this is one of the longest books (and actually comprises two years, not one), I feel like it's overlooking a lot of the story.

Reborn (from A Hero Reborn or The Legend Reborn)

• Upvote 3

Stories I wrote

Short Stories:
The Great Takara          

Thanks for all the suggested titles (and feedback on current ones), everybody! I think I'm going to keep taking suggestions for at least a week before I start doing polls. The plan right now is to start with a preliminary poll to determine if the titles should be original or taken from existing Bionicle media (or maybe a mix of both?), and then a series of individual polls for each Book to determine its title.

Oh, and for those that don't know: this Saturday (May 4th) at 1:00PM Eastern Time, I'm going to be on The Eljay Johnsen show discussing Biological Chronicle! It'll be livestreamed on Eljay's Youtube channel, but it'll also be available on the channel to watch later if you can't watch it live. Come check it out if you'd like to hear more about the process of creating this thing!

And finally, it's update time again: I was reading through Book 5 the other day and thought the splicing of text from Web of the Visorak and Web of Shadows (from where they overlap) felt a bit stilted, and left out a lot of text from Web of the Visorak. So I re-did how those texts are cut together, including a lot more of the original text and generally trying to make it flow a bit better. This update was actually posted yesterday - I just didn't get around to posting about it until today. I don't have precise notes for what I changed (there were a whole lot of small changes) but I can say that all changes I made were between the lines "'Never mind,' grumbled Matau" and "It was some time before Vakama returned to the group."

Edited by TuragaNuva

sigbanner.gif

Thanks for detailing all the changes! I'm a bit sad that the 'Years later' in Book 3 had to go as I much prefer thinking of the timespan between the Bohrok Kal and Mask of Light as being years, but I guess it contradicts what Greg said later on so I can understand it.

As far as book names go, I think most of them are really good as it is.

Book 1: Infection - Honestly, I think this name is spot on and I'd prefer it left as is. It describes not only the infected masks, but also the idea of Makuta as an infection in Mata Nui. It's too perfect to change.

Book 2: Swarm - Pretty good. It's possible you could change it to something with a double meaning like Cleanse but I think Swarm is great.

Book 3: Masks - I think this is one of the weakest titles. Masks could just as easily refer to Book 1.

Some alternatives:

Revenge (from Makuta's Revenge)

Powerless (from the comic by the same name, describes the loss of the Toa Nuva's power but also Tahu being powerless to stop Ta-Koro being destroyed and also how Takua goes from having no power to being the Toa of Light)

Power (See above)

Book 4: Legends - This seems fine to me.

Book 5: Venom - Could be better.

Fractures (From the comic with the same name)

Book 6: Doomed - I like this one.

Book 7: Sacrifice - Not sure spoiling the ending is ideal.

Downfall, (from the book with the same name.) I've seen other compilations use Downfall for the 2007 story.

Book 8: Rising - Could be better.

Endgame (from the comic with the same name).

Destiny (I think Destiny fits 2008 far better than it does 2009)

Ignition (I know Ignition normally refers to the 2006-2007 story moreso than the 2008 story, but I think it's so fitting given the reveal that the Toa's goal in this is basically the ignition of a giant power generator).

Book 9: Destiny - I kind of hate this one? This story is far more about Unity than Destiny. Destiny only really applies in Journey's End, and considering this is one of the longest books (and actually comprises two years, not one), I feel like it's overlooking a lot of the story.

Reborn (from A Hero Reborn or The Legend Reborn)

Seconding all of these, except I think Swarm is fine and I suggest Duality for book 3, due to it being such a prominent theme. Especially seconding Fractures, Downfall and Reborn (or Rebirth).

• 4 weeks later...

So I made an account just say thank you for doing this project. About a year ago I gained an interest in revisiting Bionicle and wanted to learn the lore and experience the story but was incredibly confused by all the different options. Finding this forum through Reddit was incredibly helpful in allowed me to experience the story in probably the best way possible. So again, thanks for putting this together and making it easy for new people like me to experience this crazy toy robots story.

As for the changes to the titles I would say that I think Book 3 should be something like "Light" as I feel that better describes the big element of that year. The rest are good, though I think Book 5 could have a better one but I'm not sure what. 

I also wanted to make the suggestion to add to Book 9 the last two pages of the "Valley of Fear" comic. They show Makuta launching off Aqua Magna, which Mata Nui later references but we don't get to see Makuta begin this journey towards Mata Nui. So I think adding those pages before Mata Nui mentions it would give the story a better flow and a greater sense of dread.

Lastly, I just want to mention how cool it would be if someone was able to compile each of these collections in a hardbound physical edition. Just think what would be a cool project for someone to do.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

I want to know if there'll be any more updates? It's been a while since you last posted the last version of the book :(

Yes, more updates are on the way! I've made a list of typo fixes I need to make in Book 5, and am working on one for Book 6 (I'm still reading through it). Sorry it's been a while! I'm working on proofreading all the Books, and normally I post fixes after each one, but this time I jumped straight into reading Book 6 before posting the Book 5 fixes. I should have Book 6 finished soonish, and then I'll get to work on making the fixes for Books 5 and 6!

I've also been working on a larger update which I'm keeping the details of under wraps for now... but it'll definitely be up before the end of July. It's been a lot of work, but I think it'll be a hit.

I haven't forgotten about the new Book title polls, either! I'm thinking about holding off on doing them until after that big update for next month. They're definitely still happening at some point.

Thanks for your continued interest, and sorry for the lack of updates in a while!

• Upvote 2

sigbanner.gif

I wasn't able to post about this since BZPower was down when it happened, but, for those that still haven't heard yet: Biological Chronicle is now readable in its entirety on the web, no downloads required! Just go to https://crosswiredgeeks.com/biologicalchronicle (where you can also find all the download links for the PDF version), and start reading! The Standard and Complete versions are both available.

More typo fixes are incoming as well! Some of them are already present in the web version, but have yet to be fixed in the PDFs - I'll post a full list of these once I've updated the PDFs.

• Like 2

sigbanner.gif

• 5 weeks later...

Just as an idea for the website, I think an easier way to navigate it would be nice. Adding links to previous chapters rather than just the next ones would already do wonders, but I think some kind of a table of contents would also be very useful and make the website more user-friendly. A page where you can see all the chapters of a given book and select them separately.

Speaking of that, how have your plans to include tables of content in the PDF's themselves? I think it might be useful to have the page numbers for each chapter, perhaps alongside info on what story sources are used for them?

With regards to the media links, I know I already messaged you personally about it, but I'll present it here as well so others can comment: I think it might be a good idea to have media links to specific sections of the movies, according to the events the chapters depict. There are also videos like the MNOG II cutscenes that I think should still be added.

Edited by Toatapio Nuva
  • Like 1

I thought the Encyclopedia Updated canonized the part of the MNOG's version of the Manas battle where the Kaita disabled them by destroying their heating towers. But Infection (Complete) uses the full Book/Style Guide version instead. Was that an intentional decision, or something that might need correction?

Also, the MNOG walkthrough mentioned that Maku mentioned trouble in Po-Koro just prior to Takua's conversation with Nokama, but didn't include what she actually said. Should this also be added in? For reference, speaking to her in her hut at this time causes her to exclaim:

"I've heard that there's trouble in Po-Koro! Oh no, poor Huki..."
"Why does Nokama make me stay in the village at a time like this? Huki might need me!"

Additionally, the Makoki Stones aren't mentioned in Book 1 - Infection at all. Should a reference to the fact that the Toa collected them and used them to open Mangaia be mentioned?

Edited by Toa of Mirrors
MNOG quote addition

Come see my story-corrected Tahu And Takanuva MoCs

• 3 months later...

Hey everyone, sorry it's been forever and a half since I posted here!

Hope I can make it up to you with this: I've just posted an update to the PDF versions of Biological Chronicle with 180+ fixes, spanning all Books! For full details on these fixes, check out the new changelog, which I'll be keeping up-to-date with issues that are found/fixed from now on.

On 10/18/2019 at 12:27 AM, Toatapio Nuva said:

Just as an idea for the website, I think an easier way to navigate it would be nice. Adding links to previous chapters rather than just the next ones would already do wonders, but I think some kind of a table of contents would also be very useful and make the website more user-friendly. A page where you can see all the chapters of a given book and select them separately.

Speaking of that, how have your plans to include tables of content in the PDF's themselves? I think it might be useful to have the page numbers for each chapter, perhaps alongside info on what story sources are used for them?

With regards to the media links, I know I already messaged you personally about it, but I'll present it here as well so others can comment: I think it might be a good idea to have media links to specific sections of the movies, according to the events the chapters depict. There are also videos like the MNOG II cutscenes that I think should still be added.

Tables of Contents and "previous chapter" links are definitely something that I'd like to implement at some point. Thanks for the suggestion!

And yes, I'm looking into movie and MNOG II clips as well, after you messaged me. It does make sense, I just need to sit down and do the work.

On 10/21/2019 at 7:48 AM, Toa of Mirrors said:

I thought the Encyclopedia Updated canonized the part of the MNOG's version of the Manas battle where the Kaita disabled them by destroying their heating towers. But Infection (Complete) uses the full Book/Style Guide version instead. Was that an intentional decision, or something that might need correction?

Also, the MNOG walkthrough mentioned that Maku mentioned trouble in Po-Koro just prior to Takua's conversation with Nokama, but didn't include what she actually said. Should this also be added in? For reference, speaking to her in her hut at this time causes her to exclaim:

"I've heard that there's trouble in Po-Koro! Oh no, poor Huki..."
"Why does Nokama make me stay in the village at a time like this? Huki might need me!"

Additionally, the Makoki Stones aren't mentioned in Book 1 - Infection at all. Should a reference to the fact that the Toa collected them and used them to open Mangaia be mentioned?

Excellent feedback, thanks! Let's go in order here:

The Manas towers: While yes, the destruction of the towers is canon, the way in which their destruction is written in the MNOG walkthrough doesn't allow the description of them being destroyed to be cleanly removed and placed into the version of the fight from the Style Guide. I'd rather keep this to just original writing as much as possible, so I don't see a way to include the towers. Let me know if you think you see a way to make it work, though!

Maku's line: I'm going to need to think on this one. While the line is in MNOG and is excluded in the walkthrough, this (in my eyes) is a similar situation to the ordering of Takua visiting Ta-Koro and Ga-Koro in the original game vs. the walkthrough - it's presented differently in the walkthrough than the game, but I went with the way the walkthrough was "officially" released. Since this seems like an easier thing to add in, though, I might do it. I'll make a note of it and post an update here later.

The Makoki stones: This is similar to the situation with the towers - I wasn't able to find a clean way to put a line about them from the MNOG walkthrough into the text without it seeming out-of-place - there's not really any description in the walkthrough of the Toa finding them, just them pulling out the stones before entering Mangaia, which is confusing without context. I can take another look and see if that line might fit okay in the Complete version of Book 1, but for new readers I think it's more confusing than it is helpful.

I hope that covers everything! Thanks again for your feedback!

• Like 2

sigbanner.gif

Hi! I’ve been doing something very similar—compiling the completely Bionicle story. “Complete” as you defined it—comics, serials, games, etc...EVERY piece of lore. The only difference is that I novelized comics, games, and animations to flow with the book material in solid text. I’ve been doing this since December of 2014 sharing it with old fans and new readers. I honestly didn’t know about this project already. Good to see someone else had the idea!

I started with books and serials and am going back through filling in the rest. So I have material spanning all story years, but not all source material yet. I just finished completing 2007 and am working on 2008. So far the total word count comes to a whopping 1.114 million words! It’s incredible. 

There are nuanced differences between our versions. Would you have the time/interest to have a look at it? Here are my different names, which I’ve called Phases of the story. 

Phase #01: Advent (2000-2002)

Phase #02: Illumination (2003)

Phase #03: Provenance (2004)

Phase #04: Deliverance (2005)

Phase #05: Apocalypse (2006)

Phase #06: Abyss (2007)

Phase #07: Ignition (2008)

Phase #08: Revolution (2009-2010)

Phase #09: Divinity (2011-end)

Eventually I would like to finish the story by writing my own ending after finishing canonical material. 

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 4/28/2020 at 12:28 AM, markyman20 said:

How is the book coming along? Is a printable version for book-binding purposes still in the works?

Hey, sorry there haven't been any updates for a while! The world is kind of crazy right now and without getting into personal details, my life's been a little hectic lately. That is definitely still in the works, but I still don't have an estimate for it, sorry!

On 1/29/2020 at 1:25 AM, MakutaMutran said:

Hi! I’ve been doing something very similar—compiling the completely Bionicle story. “Complete” as you defined it—comics, serials, games, etc...EVERY piece of lore. The only difference is that I novelized comics, games, and animations to flow with the book material in solid text. I’ve been doing this since December of 2014 sharing it with old fans and new readers. I honestly didn’t know about this project already. Good to see someone else had the idea!

I started with books and serials and am going back through filling in the rest. So I have material spanning all story years, but not all source material yet. I just finished completing 2007 and am working on 2008. So far the total word count comes to a whopping 1.114 million words! It’s incredible. 

There are nuanced differences between our versions. Would you have the time/interest to have a look at it? Here are my different names, which I’ve called Phases of the story. 

Eventually I would like to finish the story by writing my own ending after finishing canonical material. 

Hey, sorry for not replying to this until now! I'm subscribed to this thread, but I swear, BZP never sent me an email update for this post for some reason... 

I'd certainly be interested in seeing more of your project! Feel free to shoot me a PM.

sigbanner.gif

• 3 weeks later...

On 1/29/2020 at 12:25 AM, MakutaMutran said:

I believe he keeps them here, though it makes them a lot harder to download than this collection: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7913598/MakutaMutran

Of course, it's still easier to download than the Wall of History's websites. Speaking of, the Wall of History seems to have the intro preview of Bionicle Legends 7: Invasion, in which Matoro got possessed by the Makuta on his way down the Cord, presumably because it was briefly posted somewhere before it was cancelled, at https://wallofhistory.com/story/no/04/07/01/00/ . Also, there are a few lines of dialog cut from the final chapter of MNOG that Templar posted at https://templargames.tumblr.com/post/183938904297/program-9-the-light-of-victory-and-its-shadow .  Are either of those of interest to either of your projects?

Also, I do have some ideas on how to add the plot points I previously mentioned in, though they would likely involve inserting quotes between blocks of text from the books, which you said you're trying to avoid. To illustrate what I mean, I attached a list I wrote of some of the additions I would make to various chapters of Book 1: Infection based on some of the lines Templar wrote for MNOG that were cut from the walkthrough or the final game.

MNOG Dialog Additions.txt

Come see my story-corrected Tahu And Takanuva MoCs