Biological Chronicle: The Complete Bionicle Collection

TuragaNuva

On 6/15/2020 at 6:59 PM, Bitl said:

Will there be a EPUB version of this? I want to read it on my Kobo E-Reader, but the text is really small and hard to read.

It's in the works, but things in my life have been a little hectic lately, so I haven't made much progress on it recently. I promise it will come eventually!

7 minutes ago, Toa of Mirrors said:

I believe he keeps them here, though it makes them a lot harder to download than this collection: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7913598/MakutaMutran

Of course, it's still easier to download than the Wall of History's websites. Speaking of, the Wall of History seems to have the intro preview of Bionicle Legends 7: Invasion, in which Matoro got possessed by the Makuta on his way down the Cord, presumably because it was briefly posted somewhere before it was cancelled, at https://wallofhistory.com/story/no/04/07/01/00/ . Also, there are a few lines of dialog cut from the final chapter of MNOG that Templar posted at https://templargames.tumblr.com/post/183938904297/program-9-the-light-of-victory-and-its-shadow .  Are either of those of interest to either of your projects?

Also, I do have some ideas on how to add the plot points I previously mentioned in, though they would likely involve inserting quotes between blocks of text from the books, which you said you're trying to avoid. To illustrate what I mean, I attached a list I wrote of some of the additions I would make to various chapters of Book 1: Infection based on some of the lines Templar wrote for MNOG that were cut from the walkthrough or the final game.

MNOG Dialog Additions.txt 3.95 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks for the link! I'll take a look.

James (who runs WoH) actually sent me the Introduction to the cancelled Legends #7: Invasion shortly after he obtained it; I added it to the "Compete" version of Book 7 a while back. I hadn't seen the cut MNOG dialog, though; I'll take a look at that. Thanks for the write-up!

• Like 1

sigbanner.gif

• 1 month later...

I've recently concluded that the transcription of Quest for the Toa in the Complete versions of Book 1: Invasion isn't the most accurate one out there, or at least parts of it aren't. For starters, the first person who talks to you in the game looks like Jala, but the PDF calls him an Onu-Matoran. He is called Jala in Pages 145-153 of ToaTapio Nuva's own Bionicle story compilation, at http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/tapio/Legend/the_bionicle_story.doc . MakutaMutran's version, specifically The Dark Time Chapter 2, calls him Aft, a Ta-Matoran who bears little resemblance to Jala, and his version later omits Vakama's line about Takua being an amateur. Though I'd have to review the text and the game more thoroughly to be sure, I think Tapio's version is the most accurate account of Quest for the Toa.

Come see my story-corrected Tahu And Takanuva MoCs

That Tohunga appears to be Jala when you first load the game, but if you reload, it’s someone else. I don’t think it’s supposed to be Jala. Why would Jala be there? Later in the game he acts like he does not really know Takua.

The “training” section of the game might contain some non-canon elements, namely the diversity of Tohunga present on a beach of Onu-Wahi. There’s no clear reason why Tohunga from every village are there, besides as a sort of demo.

Has following the story become too complex? Look no further:

How to Follow BIONICLE

A Simple, chronological checklist

UPDATE May 22 2013: Every is now color coded!

Contains every bit of content, organized by story year

Hi! Hope I'm not being a pain; but I've noticed a small discrepancy regarding the Le-Koro section of Book #1. In game, there were two versions of the linked MNOG cutscenes "Into the Great Hive" and "Onua Vs. Lewa"; one version that included Taipu, if the player had earlier allowed him to accompany them into Le-Wahi (with him getting zapped by a lightning bug in the former cutscene, and riding on Onua's head during the escape from the nest in the latter), and an alternate version without him for if the player told him to remain at the dig site.

I noticed, however, that while the walkthrough text in the book describes the first scenario, where Taipu is present, the cutscenes found via the media links don't match; they are instead the versions where he is absent.

I dunno, this might be too tiny a point to do anything about. But I saw in the first post that you wanted to know if any discrepancies were found, so I thought I ought to let you know ^^

Edited by That Matoran with a Vahi
  • Like 1

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

1 hour ago, That Matoran with a Vahi said:

Hi! Hope I'm not being a pain; but I've noticed a small discrepancy regarding the Le-Koro section of Book #1. In game, there were two versions of the linked MNOG cutscenes "Into the Great Hive" and "Onua Vs. Lewa"; one version that included Taipu, if the player had earlier allowed him to accompany them into Le-Wahi (with him getting zapped by a lightning bug in the former cutscene, and riding on Onua's head during the escape from the nest in the latter), and an alternate version without him for if the player told him to remain at the dig site.

I noticed, however, that while the walkthrough text in the book describes the first scenario, where Taipu is present, the cutscenes found via the media links don't match; they are instead the versions where he is absent.

I dunno, this might be too tiny a point to do anything about. But I saw in the first post that you wanted to know if any discrepancies were found, so I thought I ought to let you know ^^

Thanks so much for pointing this out to me! I had no idea that cutscenes varied based on whether Taipu was with you. I've added it to the list of fixes needed.

• Like 1

sigbanner.gif

54 minutes ago, Daler99 said:

I noticed a small typo on the back cover of Book 10: “killed” is written as “kiled”

Ah, thanks. I had to re-create the covers at the last minute because of a resolution issue and I must have mistyped that in my haste. Thankfully Book 10 only has one version to fix. I'll push an update up shortly (won't require an updated download link)

EDIT: Fix is now uploaded for both the individual Book 10 download and the ZIP. Let me know if you still see the issue, or if you find any more!

Edited by TuragaNuva
  • Like 1

sigbanner.gif

Ooh, those covers are nice! :D I like how they follow the design language of the official Bionicle books; but also especially the way they use more world-buildy / atmospheric images, as opposed to the 'standard set pictures' that were all over most of the official works. It gives more of a feel to the wide scope of the Bionicle world, and is a really nice touch ^^

• Like 1

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/8/2017 at 7:42 PM, TuragaNuva said:

EDIT: I've updated the download links here to the latest version, with the 810NICLE Day update! This is (hopefully) the final update to the PDFs, but stay tuned to https://crosswiredgeeks.com/biologicalchronicle for news about other formats and more!

So, I realized a while back that the Bionicle story is... a little hard to know how to read. You've got the chapter books, the comics, the serials, the podcasts, etc., and no easy way of knowing what order it should all be read in. Well, I've decided to try and fix that.

This is Biological Chronicle: the Complete Bionicle Collection. I've made PDFs containing practically every text- and audio-based piece of canon Bionicle fiction, plus any comics with story material not included elsewhere, in an ideal reading order. Everything is here, from the MNOG walkthrough to the Young Reader books, as well as QR codes (that are also clickable links!) which take you to video-only content. I re-did the existing podcast transcriptions, refined the existing translation of The Crossing, got the best comic scans I could, and just generally tried to make sure that everything is as high-quality as possible. This compilation is divided into 10 "Books," or volumes, each containing roughly one year's story.

Now, I understand that some people might have different preferences for what's included, so I've created a few different versions of each volume to try and have options for every reader (the specifics are detailed for each one below). For example, every volume has a "Text-Only" option: no comics, no picture books, etc. I've also created a single, complete PDF, with EVERY volume in it (as well as another version of it that's text-only).

I've spent many months working on this, but understand that there may still be some minor formatting issues or typos here and there. If you find any, please let me know! I want these collections to be as perfect as possible.

Also, serious thanks to Toatapio Nuva, who typed up all the chapter books, and gave me great advice during the process of putting this together. Without his help, I can't imagine how much longer this would have taken me.

So, anyways... I hope you guys enjoy! All feedback is welcome.

Click here to download a ZIP of all 10 Books!

Note: I've temporarily taken down the links to the single PDFs that contain all 10 Books, as they've become unsustainable to maintain. I'm looking into a way to provide them as an option, but rest assured that you aren't missing anything by downloading the books individually (using the big link above, or the individual links for each Book below).

Individual volumes (and their various alternate versions):

Book 1: Infection (2001 story) - Last update: 08/10/2021
Book 2: Swarm (2002 story + Bohrok Kal) - Last update: 08/24/2021
Book 3: Masks (post-Bohrok Kal 2003 story) - Last update: 08/10/2021
Book 5: Venom (2005 story) - Last update: 08/10/2021
Book 6: Doomed (2006 story) - Last update: 08/10/2021
Book 7: Sacrifice (2007 story) - Last update: 08/10/2021
Book 8: Rising (2008 story) - Last update: 08/10/2021
Book 9: Destiny (2009+2010 story) - Last update: 08/10/2021
Book 10: Epilogue (unfinished/post-finale serials) - Last update: 08/12/2021

CHANGELOG

And for those curious, here are my notes from the creation process. These aren't necessarily representative of the final order of things, but rather just what I jotted down during the process of putting everything together. I'll try to put together a more finalized list of what's included and where.

Changelog (started 1/26/2020, does not include all changes made before this date)

@TuragaNuva so this does have the comics, bionicle chronicles, bionicle adventures, bionicle legends, and BIONICLE Young Readers, right?

11 minutes ago, Alex Chen said:

@TuragaNuva so this does have the comics, bionicle chronicles, bionicle adventures, bionicle legends, and BIONICLE Young Readers, right?

This collection contains all of Chronicles, Adventures, Legends, and the Young Reader books, and all of the comic content that isn't redundant to the books (the comic pages that show events already included in the text are left out).

It also includes all of the web serials and podcasts, as well as some extra story material from guidebooks (e.g. Makuta's Diary from Makuta's Guide to the Universe).

Let me know if you have any other questions!

sigbanner.gif

• 2 months later...

I really love this initiative. I've wanted to have a nice collection of all Bionicle media, and this was exactly what I was hoping to see created. Something that I had been wanting to do was to have these turned into something tangible for my own collection, so I used the first book as a test, here is the result:

51689544905_5f4b4cf086_c.jpg

51687861762_de009e194c_c.jpg

51689544950_7e9347ce3c_c.jpg

I think it turned out real nice! It's a very nice 8.5x11 size and really looks pretty good in hand. Please note that this is of course strictly for my own collection and I am in no way selling or distributing this. Just wanted to showcase how it looks in hand. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, VBBN said:

I really love this initiative. I've wanted to have a nice collection of all Bionicle media, and this was exactly what I was hoping to see created. Something that I had been wanting to do was to have these turned into something tangible for my own collection, so I used the first book as a test, here is the result:

51689544905_5f4b4cf086_c.jpg

51687861762_de009e194c_c.jpg

51689544950_7e9347ce3c_c.jpg

I think it turned out real nice! It's a very nice 8.5x11 size and really looks pretty good in hand. Please note that this is of course strictly for my own collection and I am in no way selling or distributing this. Just wanted to showcase how it looks in hand. 

Oh wow, that looks fantastic! It's amazing to see this compilation in physical form; I want to have a copy made for myself eventually.

I do have plans to eventually make a reformatted version optimized for printing (with page gutters, resized page dimensions more common for books, etc), but it might be a long while before I have that completed, and the copy you've printed looks great using the current release!

If/when you print copies of the rest of the volumes, please continue to share pictures!

sigbanner.gif

9 minutes ago, TuragaNuva said:

Oh wow, that looks fantastic! It's amazing to see this compilation in physical form; I want to have a copy made for myself eventually.

I do have plans to eventually make a reformatted version optimized for printing (with page gutters, resized page dimensions more common for books, etc), but it might be a long while before I have that completed, and the copy you've printed looks great using the current release!

If/when you print copies of the rest of the volumes, please continue to share pictures!

I’ll definitely share pictures of the rest as I get them! Yeah the one issue I ran into with this was that some of the fonts refused to embed, I ended up saving the PDF as images which eventually worked. I was glad to see the pages fit pretty well without any cutoffs or anything as it was!

• Black Six featured this topic
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I recently decided to get into the Bionicle story, after passively looking over wikis and this very forum for quite a few years.

Since there's no official way to read it all, I decided to read this compilation, "Biological Chronicle", which I've heard is the best way to read/enjoy the Bionicle story, using the final version on TuragaNuva's website.

A Newcomer's Review of Bionicle - Book 1 - The Coming of the Toa

I really enjoyed this book. For one, I really liked the characters and story. The Toa are all pretty fun and interesting, and with their elemental powers and element based personalities, it reminded me a lot of Lego Ninjago, another Lego series which I grew up watching. I liked the overall story of them learning to work together. I think Tahu, the hot headed fire Toa, and Kopaka, the distant and lone wolf type ice Toa, were probably my favorite. I found their bickering and eventually their learning to work together to be one of the best dynamics in the story. I also found the world and lore of Mata Nui to be quite intriguing.

Speaking of which, Takua's story was a good way of getting to actually know the world of Mata Mui, with him being a Matoran, and I found his story of fighting his own equally important battle alongside the Toa to be quite well done. I like the personalities of the other Matoran as well, and it was really neat to get to know the local pass times and interests of these various groups of people. Really makes it feel like a living breathing world. I felt it all tied together really nicely in the end, with Takua's mental link with Gali allowing the two stories to really mesh well near the end.

Two bits I really enjoyed were Pohatu's speech to his Shadow Toa counterpart (which was probably his shining moment), and the encounter with Makuta. Finding out he wasn't totally evil but simply a necessary part of the universe, being the destruction to Mata Nui's creation, is a super intriguing concept. I hear later stories undo this idea, which is a shame, since a villain who's almost more of a force of nature is genuinely really cool.

The main issue I have with the book... well, it's not the fault of the compiler, but it becomes really obvious at points what was written as a book and what was written as a walk through. The sections focusing on the Toa are super well written with great introspection, I believe being mostly written by C.A. Hapka with bits by Greg Farshtey, and I feel it really helped me connect with the Toa as characters. Unfortunately, most of the story related to Takua feels pretty basic. The dialogue itself is great, but there's very little introspection and the text doesn't really have a unique style to it. I also wish Gali and Takua's mental link was established earlier on. I know this is because the sections with the Toa largely come from a proper book, while Takua's sections come from a walkthrough of the Mata Nui Online Game, but it does make the writing seem inconsistent at times, especially since the former is written in 3rd person, while the latter is written in 1st person.

The comics surprisingly weren't a super jarring shift, but it was strange how Lewa spoke pretty normally in the comics and MNOG walkthrough, while he has his own broken style of speech in the book sections. The comics themselves were pretty great though, with incredible art and writing on par with the books and MNOG. Honestly, I think any jarring shift had less to do with them being comics, and more with them often being told by Turaga or from Makuta's POV. The Kopaka comic's inclusion in the book was actually was pretty seamless by comparison.

Despite the occasional change in writing style and the overall weaker writing of the Takua plotline, I still got quite invested in Takua's story. I feel the only place where the lack of detail in the MNOG sections kinda hurt the book was in the Makuta fight section. I saw the original MNOG cutscene on YouTube and it's such a great scene with amazing dialogue and beautiful imagery, and it kinda sucks it wasn't novelized with a bit more effort put into it.

Still, I really enjoyed the book. Bionicle is a really cool story, and this book is a great introduction from what I read. I definitely wanna see how the story continues going forward. Currently reading Book 2, I'll post my thoughts on it once I finish it.

Note: I decided to read the "with optional extras" version of the text, because I heard the Quest for the Toa game was important to the story. But, tbh, I think the Standard version probably benefits from being excluded. While it's nice to have, I feel that the story is ridiculously repetitive and uninteresting, until the very end with it setting up the events of the book. I feel this section being truncated to just the necessary details (Why Takua became an outcast, him helping the various Matoran and
Turaga, and the ending with the canisters being released and Takua winding up on the beach) would be a better epilogue. But I know this is only a compilation, so I can't complain too much lol. I'll definitely stick to the Standard versions going forward.

Edited by Groovy Jake
  • Like 1

On 11/1/2023 at 9:20 PM, Groovy Jake said:

I recently decided to get into the Bionicle story, after passively looking over wikis and this very forum for quite a few years.

Since there's no official way to read it all, I decided to read this compilation, "Biological Chronicle", which I've heard is the best way to read/enjoy the Bionicle story, using the final version on TuragaNuva's website.

A Newcomer's Review of Bionicle - Book 1 - The Coming of the Toa

I really enjoyed this book. For one, I really liked the characters and story. The Toa are all pretty fun and interesting, and with their elemental powers and element based personalities, it reminded me a lot of Lego Ninjago, another Lego series which I grew up watching. I liked the overall story of them learning to work together. I think Tahu, the hot headed fire Toa, and Kopaka, the distant and lone wolf type ice Toa, were probably my favorite. I found their bickering and eventually their learning to work together to be one of the best dynamics in the story. I also found the world and lore of Mata Nui to be quite intriguing.

Speaking of which, Takua's story was a good way of getting to actually know the world of Mata Mui, with him being a Matoran, and I found his story of fighting his own equally important battle alongside the Toa to be quite well done. I like the personalities of the other Matorans as well, and it was really neat to get to know the local pass times and interests of these various groups of people. Really makes it feel like a living breathing world. I felt it all tied together really nicely in the end, with Tahu's mental link with Gali allowing the two stories to really mesh well near the end.

Two bits I really enjoyed were Pohatu's speech to his Shadow Toa counterpart (which was probably his shining moment), and the encounter with Makuta. Finding out he wasn't totally evil but simply a necessary part of the universe, being the destruction to Mata Nui's creation, is a super intriguing concept. I hear later stories undo this idea, which is a shame, since a villain who's almost more of a force of nature is genuinely really cool.

The main issue I have with the book... well, it's not the fault of the compiler, but it becomes really obvious at points what was written as a book and what was written as a walk through. The sections focusing on the Toa are super well written with great introspection, I believe being mostly written by C.A. Hapka with bits by Greg Farshtey, and I feel it really helped me connect with the Toa as characters. Unfortunately, most of the story related to Tahu feels pretty basic. The dialogue itself is great, but there's very little introspection and the text doesn't really have a unique style to it. I also wish Gali and Takua's mental link was established earlier on. I know this is because the sections with the Toa largely come from a proper book, while Tahu's sections come from a walkthrough of the Mata Nui Online Game, but it does make the writing seem inconsistent at times, especially since the former is written in 3rd person, while the latter is written in 1st person.

The comics surprisingly weren't a super jarring shift, but it was strange how Lewa spoke pretty normally in the comics and MNOG walkthrough, while he has his own broken style of speech in the book sections. The comics themselves were pretty great though, with incredible art and writing on par with the books and MNOG. Honestly, I think any jarring shift had less to do with them being comics, and more with them often being told by Turaga or from Makuta's POV. The Kopaka comic's inclusion in the book was actually was pretty seamless by comparison.

Despite the occasional change in writing style and the overall weaker writing of the Takua plotline, I still got quite invested in Takua's story. I feel the only place where the lack of detail in the MNOG sections kinda hurt the book was in the Makuta fight section. I saw the original MNOG cutscene on YouTube and it's such a great scene with amazing dialogue and beautiful imagery, and it kinda sucks it wasn't novelized with a bit more effort put into it.

Still, I really enjoyed the book. Bionicle is a really cool story, and this book is a great introduction from what I read. I definitely wanna see how the story continues going forward. Currently reading Book 2, I'll post my thoughts on it once I finish it.

Note: I decided to read the "with optional extras" version of the text, because I heard the Quest for the Toa game was important to the story. But, tbh, I think the Standard version probably benifits from being excluded. While it's nice to have, I feel that the story is ridiculously repetitive and uninteresting, until the very end with it setting up the events of the book. I feel this section being truncated to just the necessary details (Why Tahu became an outcast, him helping the various Matorans and
Turaga, and the ending with the canisters being released and Tahu winding up on the beach) would be a better epilogue. But I know this is only a compilation, so I can't complain too much lol. I'll definitely stick to the Standard versions going forward.

benifits -> benefits
Tahu -> Takua
Matorans -> Matoran

Come see my story-corrected Tahu And Takanuva MoCs

With help from family and friends, I have book binded my first volume of Biological Chronicle. During my first ever experience in printing a book, we used a type of printing paper that will support high colour printing. We used a home printer (the Epson WF-3520 series) to print the contents of the book from the PDF Print file and in colour ink. My brother reformatted them to A4 size that will also fit the text and the comic strip pages. The front cover was tweaked and resized to A4. The handmade book made by my service was not perfectly aligned with the cover but it was satisfying knowing I had made my physical copy.

EDIT: Big thank you to TuragaNuva and Crosswired Geeks!

20231108_121135.jpg

20231108_123527.jpg

20231110_113004.thumb.jpg.3686391bad4cd82254d169bd1689906b.jpg

20231108_123539.jpg

20231108_123544.jpg

20231108_123601.jpg

Edited by bohrokmaster
  • Like 2

A Newcomer's Review of Bionicle - Book 2 - What Lurks Below

Didn't enjoy this one as much as Book 1, but I did enjoy the story of the Bohrok and Bohrok Kal, and there were some shining moments throughout it.

The threat in this book did feel much bigger than in the first. The Bohrok are such a large scale threat across the island, completely destroying a ton of locations we really got to see in the first book, and it's really neat seeing the Toa being extremely outnumbered. I also liked how the Bohrok Kal were even more of a threat. The fact that nothing the Toa do can even remotely stop them, with even the fusion Wairuha being no match for them, really puts into perspective how screwed they are throughout it. And with the Toa losing their powers, it was really interesting seeing a story where the powerful Toa are just no match for the enemies throughout the book.

I thought Lewa being briefly mind controlled and always having the lingering thoughts of the Bohrok in his mind was pretty interesting as well. Seeing the normally very silly and fun Lewa become so disturbed by this really makes you realize how bad everything is.

My biggest problem with this book compared to the first one was two things.

The first is that, unlike the first book, which felt like one complete story, this definitely felt like two books/stories merged together. The first half comes to a pretty good conclusion, and then the Bohrok Kal show up and it feels like a new story is starting. Again, not the fault of the compiler, but compared to book 1, this book definitely felt less like one full story.

The second issue is that the Matoran aren't focused on as much as they should. Most of the story we get of them is through the Wall of History segments, and they really feel like a summary of what should be a larger story. I watched some of the flash animations this were released with, and I felt like there was so much in those animations that was missing here, such as full scenes portraying the events, such as some relationship setup for Jaller and Hahli, of which I believe comes up in the next book. I also really wish Takua had a bigger role in this book aside from just being "The Chronicler" writing the events down. I feel novelizing the flash animations would've been a better move here, but I understand that wasn't the goal with this project.

Still, the book was quite enjoyable and I did like the story. I know the next book includes the first Greg Farshtey penned novel, so I'm curious to see how his writing style differs from Hapka. Also curious how Hapka handles a novelization of the first Bionicle movie.

Edited by Groovy Jake

Hi, there. It’s nice that you made this cool thing and all, but what about the comics? Plus, people recorded the four direct-to-video movies in YouTube. Hero Factory and Bionicle G2 have the same stuff that G1 has, but The Journey to One is only available in Netflix (I wish someone could record all of the episodes and the prologue). Or, would you guys rather use BioSector01 (and HeroSector01) to make replacements for Hero Factory’s episodes and Bionicle G1’s 2015 shorts and TJtO episodes?

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

25 minutes ago, Lenny7092 said:

Hi, there. It’s nice that you made this cool thing and all, but what about the comics? Plus, people recorded the four direct-to-video movies in YouTube. Hero Factory and Bionicle G2 have the same stuff that G1 has, but The Journey to One is only available in Netflix (I wish someone could record all of the episodes and the prologue). Or, would you guys rather use BioSector01 (and HeroSector01) to make replacements for Hero Factory’s episodes and Bionicle G1’s 2015 shorts and TJtO episodes?

There are a lot of comics included in this compilation - the only ones excluded are those that cover the exact same thing as part of one of the books. There are also links throughout the compilation to clips from the movies, placed at the beginning of the chapter (or portion thereof) that they correspond to.

As for G2 - I'm of the opinion that a project like this is less needed for that, since there isn't as much story material for it, and what does exist is pretty easy to just go through one by one in order. Not saying it would have no use at all, but it's just not something I'm interested in devoting my time to.

Hero Factory I honestly don't know much about the story of, so that would be best left to someone else.

sigbanner.gif