Water Pressure (Gali Short Film!)

emily

Gali's been feeling kind of down lately. I hope she'll be ok!

animation I made. Let me know what you think, if you like!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 12

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

I already commented on youtube about this, but in summary: I think the animation and character interactions were very nicely done, but I wasn't particularly fond of the portrayal of Gali. It seemed a bit incompatible with her G1 character, with all the jokes and petty reactions to her insecurities. Aside from Gali herself, I did enjoy everything else in the video though, especially all the cleverly used lore.

Just a bit of sorta-trivia, Ririki translates into Wild-Wild Sharp.

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

Just a bit of sorta-trivia, Ririki translates into Wild-Wild Sharp.

If it does, than the dictionary I used was very wrong.  :P

I was going off of this: http://outofgloom.tumblr.com/post/105110894788/matoran-dictionary-now-on-google-docs

• Upvote 1

pure_muscle.png

Okay, so there is no word in Tolkien's Matoran dictionary which directly translates to Soft, so I have to imprevise as Not-Complex Sence of Space, which is Urakaitil. Or at least as best as I could translate. So I guess the Maori word Ririki works.

Anyway, great film, I feel like Gali may have been a bit out of character, though I suppose her being insecure about herself at one point in her life or another isn't too unheard of, so I think it reflects a yound version of her, befitting I suppose.

pure_muscle.png

I loved the animation (brings back so many memories) and I loved Maku and Kotu (did they discover how to use the Kakama? At the beginning they're zipping all over the place) :P

I second Toatapio's opinion, I wasn't a really big fan of Gali cracking jokes. Seemed more like what Lewa would do (maybe she picked it up by hanging out with him?) ;) It was rather nice seeing her bond with the Matoran. So good job all around!

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

I honestly like seeing a dorkier side to the Toa, but puns are a bit much, yeah.  Jokes are fine, but dad jokes?  Eeeeeeh.

The short on a whole is pretty good, though.  These shorts always do a fantastic job of capturing the general feel of the old Templar stuff, and it's not just the artstyle- the way all the characters are animated feel right out of the old stuff.  Solid work.

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

• 3 weeks later...

Oh boy, there's a lot here I wanna talk about. I loved this piece.

In all honesty, while it might not line up exactly with Gali's exact G1 character, I very much like this interpretation. The Toa Mata had a lot of issues, but we often saw them deal with them on their own and with the other Toa, and maybe even the Turaga. I was a fan of seeing Gali interact with the Matoran and have them give her input on her situation. I actually really liked Gali's portrayal, especially with the Matoran, because it really showed her trying to be personable and interact with the Matoran. Even her jokes are a clear attempt at her being friendly and relatable to them. It's cute and a Toa/Matoran relationship we don't see the other Toa do (especially some of the more prickly ones like Tahu and Kopaka). I think you drove home Gali's empathy quite well.

In another light, I think approaching the weight of their legend on the Toa is a good choice as well. The Matoran revere the Toa, and I think it's not a pressure we saw expressed in the Toa Mata as much. Most of their focus was in unity and their relationship issues with each other. The motif of Gali seeing her Kau Kau statue as a sort of ever-imposing glorification of her was nice, especially since it's such a beautiful piece of scenery.

Now, the matoran. BOY, I loved your take on Ga-Koro. Since the original story revolved so much around the Toa, or a handful of named Matoran, we didn't always get to see the little things with the villages. I loved the small details: Kai's broken eye, her feeling a storm "in her mask", how Marka and the pair had a seasoned history of antics in her shipyard. Even smaller little tidbits such as how enthralled Nixie is in her work, how Maku and Kotu kept the Tarakava and raised it, it gave a lot of small insights into how Ga-Koro was lived in that we didn't see much in BIONICLE. Also, I really enjoy that Nokama wasn't present. It really gave off the "mom is away, let's go do stuff she'd yell at us for" vibe. It also put Gali in a position more of a peer than an adult in charge, which is a fun dynamic. A lot of good dynamics here.

Maku and Kotu. I absolutely loved how cute and positive their relationship is. Kotu being a jokester, Maku's few seconds after a pun where she closes her eyes in that sort of friendly pun anger, their little fist bumps. I especially liked how you portrayed their intimacy, especially in moments of turbulence like Maku panicking when Gali leaves, and how Kotu comforts her. It's a very nice way of showing how much they know each other and the subtleties of their relationship. Plus, them calling each other cutie was adorable. I love those two.

The animation and artwork is always great and always so indicative of the templar style. I was impressed with the ways you changed things up and used new things beyond existing assets. It cultivates a familiar yet changed and new take on it. I imagine you've heard that a lot with your other animations though, but it's always good to say again.

Sorry this is so long, but I think the amount of care and work you put into this is deserving of recognition. Always love seeing these animations, and I look forward to seeing what you keep doing with them in the future. No pressure though! Eh?... yeah, I'll leave that to Kotu.

Edited by T.B.O.C
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

dat_logo_newer.png

qs56078.jpg
 My Brickshelf, please don't copy!

... :t: :b: :m_o: :c:...

Looking for shiny Regirock, Articuno, and Virizion!

(Can trade most any legendary for them!)

My 3DS friend list is full, sorry!

A 22-minute flash movie. What a spectacle. I loved it. Keep it up, I eagerly await a third one. One question: How were they breathing underwater?

"You humans are absurd, Rook. Furious when you're not in control, terrified when you are. Pull it together."

I love this so much.

It's a side of Gali we never see.

She has to keep this image of perfection even though she feels differently.

After all she's a person/being with a unique personality. She's bond to have flaws or think she has them.

Great job.

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

• 2 weeks later...

Super cheezy-yet adorable.

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.
So far as I'm aware, it's pronounced like this: We're ee ah moo.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

G1 Battle for Spherus Magna - G2 A Lingering Shadow

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

Mask Hoarder, Desert Scourge

Superb animation. It kind of takes the old interpretation of Gali's character and blends it with the G2 interpretation. This all works very well, as well as giving Maku and Kotu more personality on top of it. You even brought the Ga-Kini temple into this, and did some world-building and character development at the same time.

What I don't get is why they kept the Tarakava as a pet, to be honest. It was amusing though, and definitely useful for getting out of being stuck at sea with no boat.

What was really funny was seeing how the others reacted to Kotu and Maku's antics, especialy Marka's annoyance of having them go blasting through her shipyard (again). The rag getting stuck to her mask with a quick puff of a sigh making the bottom end flap was a small touch that did a lot for that scene.

You added so much personality and character to all of Ga-Koro that you didn't see in the MNOLG I or even MNOLG II.

Very nice. :D

One thing I'd very much like to know is whether you got ahold of the flash assets that were made for the Mata Nui Online Game (and if so, how) or you PAINSTAKINGLY recreated them. I ask because ever since I saw these animations I've wanted to make my own, and ever since I was given a copy of Flash as a gift several years ago I've had the means, just not the know-how of how to either make a PERFECT COPY of each bit of the old animations, or where to download the assets for them.

Edited by Tahu92

One thing I'd very much like to know is whether you got ahold of the flash assets that were made for the Mata Nui Online Game (and if so, how) or you PAINSTAKINGLY recreated them. I ask because ever since I saw these animations I've wanted to make my own, and ever since I was given a copy of Flash as a gift several years ago I've had the means, just not the know-how of how to either make a PERFECT COPY of each bit of the old animations, or where to download the assets for them.

MNOG and the webisodes Templar did are all made up of SWF files, which hold on to all the individual assets that go into a given scene. I use SWFRIP, to either extract the assets or ready a given file to be open in Flash directly, depending on the context. It takes a while to build a library of stuff by grabbing masks and such from the different files where they make an appearance, but definitely much faster than redrawing everything, haha.

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend