Making of Bionicle stop motion

:m:  :e:  :l:  :l:  :m_o: !

So a while back I made a stop motion animation and I decided to share the process with you, since it's really simple and I think there are people here that might find this useful. Anyway, here is the film:

:!!!: ​WARNING: The film was made for an environmental competition and not for Bionicle fans so a lot of things were changed (names for example). Focus on the animation and not on the story, because it's not really connected to the Bionicle.

THE FILM 

The Process:

First, the backgrounds. I borrowed them from MNOLG and MNOLG: The Bohrok Swarms (by Nuparu77) by taking in game screenshots. Then I took these screenshots in to Photoshop and I put different textures over them, changing the blending mode till it looked right. Then I also added some additional lightstones and glow and that was it.

For the characters, I shot a few different motions on a green screen and then I cut them out. That way I could use the same footage in every scene. This is how an unedited picture looked like. Then I painted the glowing eyes and did some shading. I did about 5 different motions from the front and 2 from the side for each character. For each motion I shot approximately 4 images. It is important that the body of your character doesn't move between different motions or you get stuttering video (every motion should start with the same (or at least very similar) image). Then I took everything to Premiere Pro (a video editing program) where I put everything together and IMPORTANT: changed time interpolation to OPTICAL FLOW. It made everything more smooth, but it is still not perfect. You might have spotted some weird thing going on at the edges sometimes. It can be masked out, but I think is not that distracting.

As you might know, the first Bionicle models were not very mobile, especially the neck. That is why I used pieces of wire and it worked great. 

I am not saying this is the best method, and it can certainly be improved, but it worked for me. If you have any more questions or suggestions, reply.

:k:  :m_o:  :h:  :u:  :r:  :u:  

Edited by Guest