Top 5 Most Tragic Deaths In Bionicle

tamaru34

Here are the most tragic deaths in Bionicle, ranked from "Slightly Less Tragic" to "OH MATA NUI WHY!!!"

This is not an uplifting post!

5: Krika

Cause of death: Got rek't by an energy storm

Why this was tragic: Krika believed that nothing good would come out of Teridax's grand plan if it succeeded, but also realized nothing good would happen to him if it failed, so for better or worse, he followed it. However, he occasionally rebelled against Teridax when it was safe to do so, such as hiding and imprisoning Miserix rather than killing him. During his time in Karda Nui, he realized that Teridax's plan would be worse for all, and tried to sabotage it in several ways, taking Gali in an attempt to persuade her to leave Karda Nui so that Teridax's plan could not be fulfilled, and allying with the rogue Icarax. He also, unlike most Makuta, respected the Toa Nuva for matching them in ability. So, he wasn't all that bad! He did not deserve to be vaporized!

4: Nidhiki

Cause of death: Was absorbed by Makuta and destroyed

Why this was tragic: In Legends of Metru Nui, we could all, at least, accept Nidhiki's death. The whole "Brother" thing between him and Lhikan was unexplained, so he could've always been a dark hunter... Right?

Nope. Greg just had to explain his back story in extended media. Birth of A Dark Hunter tells the tragic story of Nidihki's defection to the dark side. Sure, he had that little betrayal during the dark hunter war, but that was in part caused by Lhikan undermining him, and jealousy. And let's not forget he hated his life as a dark hunter. Finally, his mutation at the hands of Roodaka was very sad. The Shadowed One's quote in Birth of A Dark Hunter just put this on the list. "If you were still deluding yourself that you could go back to being a Toa, that you could wash the stain of treachery off your spirit that easily, I was going to strip that dream from you once and for all." Dark... HAHAHAHAHA! Alright, I'll shut up now.

3: Jaller

Cause of death: Killed by a Rahkshi, but eventually revived by Takanuva

Why this was tragic: Jaller's death in Mask of Light ripped out my ten-year-old heart and stomped on it. Then it threw it into the furnaces of Ta-Koto. You get the idea.

Jaller was probably the most noble matoran of all time. He dutifully, and reluctantly, accepted Takua's quest. His friendship with Takua was funny at times, and they always kept each other in check. But what really made him a hero was he willingly gave his life to save Takua. And he assumed he was going to stay dead, because they didn't know about the red star. His last words? "You know who you are. You were always... Different..."

Why is it number three? Well, the death was made slightly less tragic with his sudden and rather confusing revival like, ten minutes later.

2: Lhikan

Cause of death: Wasted by Makuta Teridax

Why this was tragic: Lhikan was probably the single most important Toa in the Biological Chronicle. He retrieved the Toa stones, created Toa who saved the matoran, and continued to mentor them until his (Sniffle Sniffle) death at the literal hand of Teridax. If Lhikan had not saved Vakama... The Toa team would not be functional, since it required Unity. Hundreds of Matoran would be still in captivity under the visorak.

But still, I cried. So, it's number two.

And now... The one that you've been waiting for...

1: Matoro

Cause of death: Vaporized by the Ignika

Why this is tragic: Where do I start? Oh, yeah, here's the quote that made me sob uncontrollably at the end of Downfall:

"Sometimes a hero has to do something else besides beat the villains and come home covered in glory. Sometimes, he has to make a sacrifice so that a lot of people — people he's never met before, and who don't know his name — can live."

— Hahli to Kopeke, Downfall

Matoro didn't have many friends on Mata Nui. He was the kindest, awesomest, perhaps bravest matoran in Bionicle, but he questioned his worth to the team when he became a Toa, eventually sacrificing himself in the chamber of death. But he was revived, and passed the test. Why is he number one? Because of his selfless, courageous sacrifice in Mahri Nui. Even though no one knew his name, and he knew he might fail, Matoro made perhaps the most important choice in the Ignition saga. And, in the end, he was the real hero.

But that's just my opinion! What's yours? Did I leave anyone important out? SHOULD NIDIHKI EVEN BE ON THIS LIST???

• Upvote 2
Evil knows, that hope is afloat.

Where life is enslaved, all can be saved.

Light will unite, what now darkness divides.

Spark the flame of the heart

FOR THE FUTURE TO START.

Read my epic G2 fanfic, Beyond Okoto, and find out what happened after the Toa left Okoto!

Well, actually, Krika died when he tried to warn his fellow Makuta about the Energy Storms, but Gorast killed him by using her mask power to make his ability to go intangible out of control so much that he disappeared to death.

Anyway, my list of the most tragic deaths are exactly like yours, but in the slightly different way:

5. Krika - He may had been a bad guy, but he is less selfish than the other Makuta, and he was trying to save them from destruction, but they didn’t listen.

4. Nidhiki - He was a Toa and partner of Lhikan who went rogue and turned into a villainous monster. He was then eaten by Teridax, who he worked for.

3. Lhikan - He was a great Toa who taught the Toa Metru that they have to be heroes who save Metru Nui’s people. When he became a Turaga, the Toa Metru succeeded him. When Teridax was about to kill Vakama, Lhikan sacrificed himself to defend the poor Toa from Makuta. When Lhikan died, Vakama felt sad about it and went to attempt to be like him as a hero. Lhikan’s mask was passed down to Jaller when Jaller’s original mask was broken.

2. Jaller - He cares about Takua, who is his best friend, so he defended him from a Turahk, which cost him his life. When Jaller died, Takua put on the Mask of Light to become Takanuva and defeated the Turahk. Takanuva kept Jaller’s Mask when he went to Teridax’s lair. Good thing that Takutanuva revived Jaller.

1. Matoro - Matoro tried to save Mata Nui from dying, but when Mata Nui died, he felt sad. However, he never gave up, as he went to revive Mata Nui while his friends bought him time by fighting the Barraki. Matoro has to sacrifice his life to use the Mask of Life’s power to revive Mata Nui. He saved the whole Matoran Universe and everyone in it as a result. His friends felt sad about his death, but they made a statue of him to honor him.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

I suppose you could say Nidhiki's death is tragic-he was supposed to be a hero but became more concerned with his own self-interest-but it's kind of hard for me to see it as anything besides long overdue comeuppance. Of the others, I would say Krika's death is the most tragic, since at the end he tried to do something good at the end of a lifetime of evil but failed miserably. Matoro, Lhikan, and Jaller all died to save the lives of others which, while sad, doesn't really strike me as tragic-except in the sense that they had to die for others at all due to Makuta's evil. Some tragic deaths that come to mind for me:

The Toa Mangai (besides Lhikan, Tuyet, and Nidhiki)

These poor guys didn't even get the chance to be characters-they were a plot device for all intents and purposes, because Lhikan needed a team outside of two power-mad traitors. Only one of them has even been given a name, and they died being picked off one by one after being sent to their doom by an enemy who disguised himself as a friend. And on top of it, when Greg revealed his big deus ex machina for various deceased characters not being dead after all, he worked in a way to exclude them.

The Toa Cordak

Their story is much the same as that of the Mangai-only one of them besides the one we actually got a set for was given a name, and even she was barely a character. I would say that their death perhaps isn't quite as tragic as that of the Mangai, if only because they fell in the line of duty as opposed to being assassinated by a Dark Hunter, but it's not by much when you consider what became of the Matoran they had protected and their sole surviving teammate Lesovikk.

Karzahni (the Being-and may I say how annoying it is to have to clarify that?)

As one who appreciates a little villainous variety to a franchise, Karzahni's death saddens me because he was featured in a single book one year, returned as a a serial-exclusive antagonist the following year and was quickly taken out of the picture by the established main antagonist of the franchise, and was then killed off in another serial because things had gotten too cluttered. He might has well have bitten the dust back in 2007 if they were going to do that to him.

From a character standpoint, Karzahni's whole history is somewhat tragic. The Great Beings created him and his brother and then made them fight over a mask designed to help them to create-how fighting prowess equate to worthiness for something like that? Upon loss of said battle, Karzahni was then dumped into a domain with with the purpose of repairing and/or retraining Matoran, but his creators kept up their poor judgement streak by apparently not telling him how to do his job. Then, as if he didn't have enough issues, the other inhabitants of the universe expect him to do the job he doesn't know how to do, and instead of trying to figure out why he's apparently having problems decide that he can't be trusted to do the job anymore. Is it any wonder that he went bonkers?

Edited by Wiriamu
  • Upvote 1

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.
So far as I'm aware, it's pronounced like this: We're ee ah moo.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

G1 Battle for Spherus Magna - G2 A Lingering Shadow

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

Mask Hoarder, Desert Scourge

While we don't know the details of it, the death of Tren Krom seems rather tragic, or at least gruesome. He may not have been the kindest of chaps, but he had no ill intent, and was basically the unwanted child of the Great Beings, so to say. I mean, imagine you're temporarily made to rule over a vast self-contained world, but then your creators come like "okay, enough of that, you were only temporary anyway, here is someone better to take your place, now off you go to a cave on a remote island you can never leave'. 

Then he spent a huge amount of time there, then he was finally released...

But then a Great Being exploded him or something, scattering his gooey flesh across a wide area. 

yikes?

:kakama:

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

G1 and G2 deaths were heartbreaking

Too soon!

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.
So far as I'm aware, it's pronounced like this: We're ee ah moo.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

G1 Battle for Spherus Magna - G2 A Lingering Shadow

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

Mask Hoarder, Desert Scourge