Nexo Knights Cancelled

Pohaturon

Brickset just reported from the Nuremberg Toy Fair that Nexo Knights is getting axed. The current wave is the last, with no new sets coming this Summer.

A disappointing amount of schadenfreude could be seen from AFOLs in the comments...

I'm sad to see Nexo go, I loved the mashup of fantasy and sci-fi, and the theme had fantastic sets. I really wish they'd at least let it live through the year...

What are your thoughts on the cancellation of Nexo? Sad, or "glad" to see it go like some others?

:kakama:

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

Wow already? That didn't take long...  :blink:

I'm more or less indifferent about the cancellation, I honestly didn't get into the theme as a whole, which is odd, since I love the medieval period, and I love sci-fi... go figure.  :shrugs: 

It did look very cool set wise, although I wasn't sure if I approved of the shield codes that let you do stuff online, I appreciated the days when LEGO didn't rely so much on technology to sell stuff. Though it does fit with the sci-fi feel of the sets though. 

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

Wasn't it scheduled to end there anyway? What's new here?

I think it's a wave early. Summer would have wrapped up the new story and sets in this arc I assumed. It's getting cut off early, no?

:kakama:

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

Hmm, while I liked the idea of combining castle and space, and the sets were good for the most part, something just wasn't quite right with the line. I only bought a the lava smasher and Lavaria from the first year, and nothing from the subsequent years. I think a lot of the sets were also relying on the minfigures to sell them, so I don't know I may pick up a few figs second hand, but I don't know if I'll buy any more sets.

And the show wasn't that great, even compared to past shows by LEGO.

• Upvote 1

I guess… unsurprised? A summer wave would have been nice (especially since Ava wasn't in any of the sets for the first half of the year, grrr) but I never anticipated it would be likely to last beyond 2018. It's still fairly rare for a non-evergreen LEGO theme, even a "big bang" theme, to last more than three years. Ninjago having enough momentum to become evergreen caught even the LEGO Group by surprise, and that was a theme that showed an extraordinary level of performance from its very first year onward. Absent any signs that Nexo Knights was setting new sales or viewership records, neither we fans nor The LEGO Group had any reason to expect it would be "the next Ninjago". Frankly, even the fact that Elves has remained with us for a fourth year came as a bit of a pleasant surprise.

Mostly I'm bothered by the glee some AFOLs have expressed, along with the bizarre insistence by Castle fans that a two and a half year run is indicative of failure and that LEGO should go back to the classic themes like Castle, Space, and Pirates, when very few incarnations of those themes ever manage to turn out more than five consecutive waves of sets.

• Upvote 1

On one hand, I won't mind seeing it go. The sets were getting a bit repetitive, the best ones were always quite expensive, and the show and story never really seemed to catch on. Legends of Chima only lasted 3ish years (they may have gotten a summer wave, I'm too lazy to check) so their decision to end it now seems reasonable.

On the other hand, the set designs have been pretty good (a revamp of a really cool King mech is still a really cool King mech.) I appreciate the number of new cool parts that have been introduced in the theme, and I liked the color schemes for the baddies over the various years, and think the green and black vehicles of 2018 look awesome. And the figs were fun to collect, so it'll be sad to see it go. Hopefully the designers have moved on to the next theme to bring us some other cool designs.

:music:

I admit that i really liked the design of those translucent orange minifigure broadswords from this line.
Lets hope they use the available staff and money they won't be using on this line anymore for doing either something interesting or hopefully

A decent Bionicle G3 when the time is right with a proper story and marketing.

Edited by Toa of Ice - 1987
  • Upvote 2

qs3135.jpg

It would have been nice for it to have gotten a clean conclusion, but three years was all I ever expected.

Moving to LEGO Discussion...

I mean, this latest wave has a pretty epic tone to it in general, what with all the gold and a final showdown between Merlok and Monstrox. And we're apparently still getting one final season of the TV series to finish up the story. It's definitely better than, say, Exo-Force (which got no story conclusion and a final wave that felt like the beginnings of a new direction at best, rather than a culmination of what had come before).

If I have any regrets, it's that Ava doesn't even appear in this final wave of sets, much less get a redesign on par with Robin or the other knights. I feel like her character has been woefully underutilized over the course of the entire series...

• Upvote 3

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Well, this is very sad to hear, and we seem to have a sad time here in this year and probably this decade.

Nexo Knight is good, but not great. It is not perfect in some ways, many things in the theme are not even, and the toy line, TV show, and the app game has missing some things here and there, but it is a good theme.:) It has a lot of very great and cool elements, like the shields, fire pieces, stone pieces, spike pieces, lightning pieces, the Roguls, the little evil minions, and the gargoyles. The mechs, armor, helmets, weapons, the new molds, and vehicles are very cool. I love the color schemes. The brick-built and Mixels-like figures that are as big as the Hulk from Marvel are awesome. I love the fortress sets, the Colossus set, Axl’s, Clay’s, and Jestro’s vehicles, and Aaron’s 2017 vehicle the most. I love the set functions in the sets, and the Lava and stone vibes on them.:)

As for the TV show, which is made by people who made Legends of Chima and Ninjago shows, well, it is good, but not great as well. This show, like the previous two, has very good character development, but some of the characters are overdoing the comedy a little. Nexo Knights is also similar to the previous show’s in many ways. It’s cool that Nexo Knights is like a mix of castle and space themes (I never believed that it’s a space theme because it is set in a medival-like world with advanced technology, and no one travelled to space). I like that the show sometimes focuses on the villains rather than always the heroes because we get to see their adventures before they would fight the heroes. The characters in the show also are voiced by the same people from Ninjago, which I like, while LoC used people that we don’t know, which I don’t why why and Bionicle’s Journey to One has this scenario as well. I love the idea that a digital wizard named Merlok provide the Nexo Knights the Nexo Powers through their shields to defeat Mosntrox’s forces, even though it kind of gets a little too repetitive. I also like that the evil-doers go to collect evil spell books and evil Nexo Powers called the Forbidden Powers to cause some mischeif and destruction on the kingdom of Knighton. I mean, since when there is a monster ever get defeated by a non-enchanted weapon? Clay is a hero who knows what’s right, even though he was turned into a Stone Monster who acts irrationally because of Monstrox and a witch named Ruina Stoneheart at one time before he changed himself back. It’s very cool that he is actually a wizard with a glowing arm whose magical mother named Wanda was turned into Ruina by Monstrox, and Merlok is her brother, which makes him Clay’s uncle. It went Star Wars Episode 5 when Ruina told Clay that she is his mother (and it’s sort of like Lloyd’s and his father relationship from Ninjago). I wonder what happened to Clay’s father, anyway? Macy is a princess who wants to be a knight, which her mom, the queen of Knighton, despite her father, who is the king, protesting Macy from becoming a knight because he was worried about her safety. Aaron is a cool guy with a crossbow. Axl is an awesome guy with a big upper body (I don’t why he and that other guy with the colored hairdo have that) and an axe, and he’s funny when he eats foods and didn’t like being in the Colossus’ stomach. Lance is a spoiled guy who never wants to be a knight in the first place and primarily focuses on fame. Robin is a funny kid who wants to be a knight somehow (reminds me of Lloyd from Ninjago, sort of), and he’s cool when he is skilled in using technology and having the Black Knight persona (like Ninjago’s Nya). I wonder if Robin will become a Knight at some point in the story. Aya is another kid who doesn’t show emotions much, but she is good at using technology (also like Nya). The king is funny and the queen is cool. Merlok is like both, but I wonder if he can get his physical back somehow. The Nexo Knights are cool people who use the Powers, both single and Combo ones, but they are sort of goofy at wrong times sometimes and wait until the last minute a little too frequently.

Jestro is a troubled and clumsy jester who was manipulated and then mind-controlled by Monstrox to become a hideous-looking villain who leads Monstrox’s monster forces. Good thing that Clay and Merlok freed him from Monstrox’s hold on him (Jestro is sort of like Lord Garmadon from Ninjago and Cragger from LoC). Monstrox is a villainous and crazy wizard and jerk who seeks destruction and revenge on the kingdom by collecting objects with dark magic in them. He is very disrespectful to Jestro and sometimes the Lava Monsters. It’s cool that he can come back (similar to the Overlord from Ninjago and Makuta Teridax from Bionicle G1), and he’s a cool villains with cool powers, though. The Lava Monsters are a funny and cool bunch (Sparkks, Burnzie, and Magmar are my favorite Lava Monsters). The same goes to the Stone Monsters, who are more like drones (the Grimlocks, Gargoyles, Garg, Ruina, Roguls, and Lord Krakenskull are my favorites). It’s interesting that the Lava Monsters quit being Monstrox’s servant and reformed (like the Serpentine from Ninjago). It’s awesome that Krakenskull can combine those evil Nexo Powers called the Forbidden Powers into new ones, similar to good Nexo Powers being combined into Combo Powers. I don’t know what will happen to Ruina in Year 3, though, because she is the only active Stone Monster who could be responsible for Monstrox being a green hologram in this year. That Roberto guy, who helps the Stone Monsters by carving some stuff for them, is funny and talented. Too bad there isn’t a minifigure for him.:(

Both heroes and villains are very cool.

The minor characters are just goofy.

The app game is okay. It has a lot of things it should improve on, like the graphics.

I always look at Nexo Knights as Ninjago’s advanced technology counterpart while Ninjago has elemental powers and is superior (both themes are minifgure themes), as much as Hero Factory being Bionicle’s advanced technology counterpart while Bionicle has elemental powers and is superior (both themes are constraction).

Year 3 is here this year, but we don’t know when would the last season or two be played on television. The story hasn’t ended yet, not all of the Knights have their vehicles in this half of the year’s sets, six out of all seven of Merlok’s new golden Nexo Powers Are in these sets, and Ruina hasn’t appeared in them yet. Perhaps the rest of the stuff and Ruina would appear in this summer’s sets, which would more likely to be the final sets of the theme, if there are. I like the virus vibe in these sets, too.:)

I knew that the show will end this year and the theme itself would never reach the level of Ninjago, similar to LoC, too. It’s sad to see it go, like LoC.:(

Overall, the Nexo Knights is a neat theme.:) It’s good and successful, but could’ve been better. It’s sad that it’s ending, as I said before.:(

Let’s all now hope that Nexo Knights will later be seen again as one of Ninjago’s Sixteen Realms (the same happened to LoC). Of course, there are some evidence that it could be.

Man, can this decade get any more depressing. First, Bionicle G1, then Power Miners, Space Police, Atlantis, The Clutch Power direct-to-video movie, Pharaoh’s Quest, Alien Conquest, Dino Attack, Hero Factory, Monster Fighters, Legends of Chima, the Lego City Undercover video game, Galaxy Squad, Ultra Agents, Bionicle G2, Mixels, Lego Dimensions, and now Nexo Knights and this year’s Toy Fair. Man, these things are not doing as well as I would expect them to be. I know that usually Lego themes stop running after around 1-3 years, but they are come crumbling down for some reason, their potentials are now wasted by being cancelled, and they are messed up in many ways.:( Ninjago, The Lego Movies, the Super Hero themes, and Star Wars are very successful and fine miraculously, even though that Ninjago’s Season 7 and The Lego Ninjago Movie kind of made look like that it stunned its toe in 2017, sort of. Let’s hope that this year’s Ninjago stuff will be better.

I know that I said a lot, but I am just being emotional because of Nexo Knights ending.:(

Edited by Lenny7092
  • Upvote 1

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Well, i liked them. Even decided to get most of W2 sets. I only miss Ava minifig, but I´ll get that from Bricklink.

Didn´t like the new wave, although it´s kinda cool.

Was expecting it to end this year, not so soon though.

I really hope for Pirates to make comeback now.

• 2 weeks later...

I pretty much loved all of the villain designs, from the minifigs all the way to the sets, but the only Knight sets that I cared for was the Fortrex and the castle; everything else was pretty mediocre. (I also really like the Knights minifigs, just for an FYI)

Edited by You just lost the game

67685335.jpg