Bionicle Fan Games

Pohaturon

I remember a time in BZPower's past during the mid-ish years of G1 when the site had a fairly active fan game scene. Since basically all that was lost with the datapocalypse and the erosion of members caused by the same event and subsequent cancellation(s) of Bionicle means this is most likely a futile attempt, but I wonder if anyone knows some alternate place where these were kept, knows some of the creators in person or off-site, or maybe even has the game downloaded and can share.

One I specifically remember was called "Visorak Adventures" I think, it was a cutesy take on the thing with pixel art and upbeat music. It was a top-down game where the player controlled a visorak - the rest is hazy. 

Anyone know any leads I could track down?

:kakama:

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

I have a whole bunch of them. I even made a topic at one point with the intention of eventually sharing them with everyone. Sadly, there's no real way of doing that, because the vast majority were created in 32-bit gamemaker, which means it's impossible to run them on modern versions of windows (I believe anything after WIndows XP is 64-bit). The only hope was a crude conversion program gamemaker themselves offered, but unfortunately it doesn't work well at all.

I wish someone with the expertise could write a more competent version of the conversion program, but I think any interest in doing such a thing has probably faded ever since gamemaker was bought by yoyo games and became a freemium application.

Edited by Zarkan: Master of Storms

I have slept for so long. My dreams have been dark ones. But now I am awakened. Now the scattered elements of my being are rejoined. Now I am whole. And the Darkness can not stand before me.

Wasn't there a multiplayer one where you could be a Toa or a Rahkshi? Or did that die?

Yes there was, and there was a huge following of it. The topic is here. It's called BIONICLE Fighter: Broken Virtues.

The last I heard (which was September of 2016) is that the system needed a complete reprogramming because of compatibility issues, but the creator is still potentially interested in completing it someday (at least that's my hope)

If you wish to download it the link is on the page I posted above. If you couldn't already tell from my banner, I'm kinda a big fan and am really hoping it makes a comeback.

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

I have a whole bunch of them. I even made a topic at one point with the intention of eventually sharing them with everyone. Sadly, there's no real way of doing that, because the vast majority were created in 32-bit gamemaker, which means it's impossible to run them on modern versions of windows (I believe anything after WIndows XP is 64-bit). The only hope was a crude conversion program gamemaker themselves offered, but unfortunately it doesn't work well at all.

I wish someone with the expertise could write a more competent version of the conversion program, but I think any interest in doing such a thing has probably faded ever since gamemaker was bought by yoyo games and became a freemium application.

By any chance does your stash include Super Smash Matoran?

Hand-drawn, bespoke avatar by none other than Mushy the Mushroom.

a body adrift in water, salt, and sky

By any chance does your stash include Super Smash Matoran?

It doesn't appear so, sorry. Unless it happens to be in one of the zip-files that is just named "demo." If it is, there's no way of confirming it, because as I explained its impossible to actually open the executables.

I have slept for so long. My dreams have been dark ones. But now I am awakened. Now the scattered elements of my being are rejoined. Now I am whole. And the Darkness can not stand before me.

I dunno how to share them, but I have a couple of games that I downloaded to play still saved away. I've got all the necessary files for a couple of 2D RPGs - "Flow of the River" by Swingin Kanohi Studios, and something called "Legend of Mata Zuto: Fall of the Conqueror" by Cyan Productions - which still run okay even on my new laptop. The latter may not be as old as you're thinking of, since its thread from 2011 still exists in the depths of the Fan Created Media forum (though the download links there are broken).

I've also got the game files for the platform game "Toa Quest 3" - I don't remember who it was made by - though they no longer play properly so I'm not quite sure what to do with them.

Speaking of, does anyone know where I might be able to find the latter's predecessor, "Toa Quest 2"? I remember that it had a number of bugs; but it had unique levels for almost every hero character from 2001-03, and then some, and I'd love to get all nostalgic by playing it again xD

Edited by Darth Jaller

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

Bah, I wish there were some way to restore everything lost in the datapocalypse...

edit: I don't mean this to seem ungrateful for all above, I actually really appreciate the effort you all put into this

:kakama:

Edited by Pohaturon

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

I've also got the game files for the platform game "Toa Quest 3" - I don't remember who it was made by - though they no longer play properly so I'm not quite sure what to do with them.

Speaking of, does anyone know where I might be able to find the latter's predecessor, "Toa Quest 2"? I remember that it had a number of bugs; but it had unique levels for almost every hero character from 2001-03, and then some, and I'd love to get all nostalgic by playing it again xD

Toa quest 2? I never got to play that one sadly. The only other Toa Quest I was aware of was a completely different version of Toa quest 3 that focused on 2004. It has four levels: Lhikan, Onewa, Matau, and Whenua, and features some pretty impressive platforming gameplay and graphics. There's an Archies escape sequence at the end of Whenua's level that is probably the most epic thing I ever saw in a Bionicle fangame.

And for the record, the version of Toa Quest 3 you have never worked very well even when it released. I remember the executable with the Tahu and Kopaka levels crashed on the Muaka boss fight, and the one with Lewa had a nasty habit of becoming corrupted and spawning you in an endless death cycle after launching it a few times. The executable with the Gali and Pohatu levels was the only one that I was ever able to fully playthrough - and I did it multiple times, cause it was great fun. Pohatu's level being a Sonic the Hedgehog clone was a stroke of genius.

It was a shame it never got patched. I believe the creator actually lost the game files in a hard drive crash, and decided to just cut his losses and release the executables he had already compiled. Both versions of Toa Quest 3 were still more impressive than the majority of games created over the course of BZP's history. Nothing like them, The Insurgent, Dark709's Comics: The Game, or Bionicle Paracosmos: the Map of Mata Nui is probably ever going to be created again.

Toa quest 2? I never got to play that one sadly. The only other Toa Quest I was aware of was a completely different version of Toa quest 3 that focused on 2004. It has four levels: Lhikan, Onewa, Matau, and Whenua, and features some pretty impressive platforming gameplay and graphics. There's an Archies escape sequence at the end of Whenua's level that is probably the most epic thing I ever saw in a Bionicle fangame.

And for the record, the version of Toa Quest 3 you have never worked very well even when it released. I remember the executable with the Tahu and Kopaka levels crashed on the Muaka boss fight, and the one with Lewa had a nasty habit of becoming corrupted and spawning you in an endless death cycle after launching it a few times. The executable with the Gali and Pohatu levels was the only one that I was ever able to fully playthrough - and I did it multiple times, cause it was great fun. Pohatu's level being a Sonic the Hedgehog clone was a stroke of genius.

It was a shame it never got patched. I believe the creator actually lost the game files in a hard drive crash, and decided to just cut his losses and release the executables he had already compiled. Both versions of Toa Quest 3 were still more impressive than the majority of games created over the course of BZP's history. Nothing like them, The Insurgent, Dark709's Comics: The Game, or Bionicle Paracosmos: the Map of Mata Nui is probably ever going to be created again.

TQ2 was what started my interest in exploring fan created games in the first place, it's massively nostalgic for me. I think I'll just have to make do with my memories, though, as I seem to remember the creator saying way back in the Toa Quest 3 thread that the TQ2 game files no longer worked at all.

Oh, I remember that version of TQ3 too - kinda, at least. I played it back when it was just a demo that only had Lhikan's level, I never knew it had been expanded beyond that. That's pretty cool!

I never remember having those problems with the newer TQ3 though. I recall a glitch where if Lewa fell to his death he just didn't respawn at all (the Turaga Vakama level in TQ2 had a similar issue as well), but otherwise I remember playing it through, a number of times, without issue. Maybe that depended on the computer that it was being run on, though.

Whereas now, if I try to open the games on my new laptop, I just get a black screen which plays the menu music but does nothing else. A little bit frustrating xD;

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

• 2 weeks later...

Have you looked through the links here? I tested a few links and while Dropbox ones appear to all be dead, there's at least a few links to other sites that still work. There's one called Visorak Arcade that appears to still be downloadable. The Map of Mata Nui is available from here.

borsweaponsil.png

I joined for the 2001 nostalgia; I keep coming back for the BZP nostalgia.