Alpha Version of Bionicle: TLoMN Discovered!

Kopekemaster

If you haven't heard of it before, Bionicle: The Legend of Mata Nui is a long-sought unreleased Bionicle game from 2001. There have been a few bits found of it here and there, but nothing really "complete" in any way. That has now changed, and The Beaverhouse is streaming it on Twitch right now! You can watch it right here. Watch it!

(It's Twitch, so there's bound to be some profanity in chat/in the stream. But this is just such a momentous event in the Bionicle community that I knew I needed to share it here.)

Edited by Kopekemaster
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 15
rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

No, they'll be releasing it (somewhere, probably BMP) after the stream. They'll also be releasing the full soundtrack.

woah

WOAH

This is major. I joined the stream just as a Kaukau wearing Pohatu was dancing with a bunch of Po-Matoran, and I knew this is something I must experience. Glad to hear they will release it!

:kakama:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

I hope that means we can get some better information/ views at some of the rahi in the game. While I know many aren't official canon, they look like they might be able to be physically built if you could see them from a few more angles. I thought I saw something in the stream in the Ko-Wahi are that looked like it could pass for an ice bat (though I only got a glimpse of it). I'm pretty sure that they are not intended to be that, but as no canon image of ice bats exist, might be a good fan placeholder. 

Well, it goes without saying that this is a historic moment. Although the means by which they obtained this release sound a bit dubious, I'm glad that people have not forgotten the importance of this game to the community and have continued to pursue ways to get it. Thank you to the people who arranged this (apparently from BMP? Sorry, I honestly don't know who any of these guys are. If someone can fill me in on who these guys are, I would appreciate it :) .)

Like they said at the end of the stream, hopefully this will encourage people to consider releasing the beta.

Here's a link to a recording of the stream, since it wasn't obvious for me to find:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/227696626

And if you want to skip five hours of dudes yelling over each other, here's the download link:

http://biomediaproject.com/bmp/the-legend-of-mata-nui/

Edited by Planetperson
  • Upvote 2

My Windows 98 Voodoo 5500, Pentium 3 setup seems to have trouble rendering the game. I don't know if that is within the recommended benchmark for running it, but it seems pretty good for the era. Incidentally, it seems to be running on modern OSes a lot better than I figured it would considering that Lego themselves cited chip (in)compatibility as a factor in the game's cancellation.

*grabs stick and leaps to feet, cackling excitedly*

HE'S ALIVE?!

Well that's not something I expected to see ever.  Does this count as new Bionicle content?  In 2018?  Wow.  Now that the files are out, I can't help but wonder if some talented fans might actually make a complete and updated version...

Sorry, I honestly don't know who any of these guys are. If someone can fill me in on who these guys are, I would appreciate it :) .

-snip-

who is "they"?

I'm not familiar with everyone there, but Vahkiti and JrMasterModelBuilder were on the stream. There was also someone, a regular of that channel I think, named Josie. Other than that, I don't really know. They have a YouTube channel of let's plays, though.

Gah, can't coax it into running on my Windows 10 machine - I get a white screen for half a second, black for half a second, then it quits to the desktop.  What I wouldn't give for my old WinXP laptop right now.  Maybe some others among you are having better luck?

Avatar by Nicholas Anderson (NickonAquaMagna)

My blog: The Jaga's Nest

I've gotten it to install and run on both my Windows 8 laptop from 2012 and Windows Vista laptop from 2007, but the levels always show up as mostly black as discussed on the BMP page, so I can't actually play the game yet. The SvpRad=1 trick does not work for me in either case.

What's the difference between an Alpha and a Beta?

Someone here probably has a more accurate or technical answer, but my basic understanding is that an alpha is incomplete—playable, but incomplete. There might be large chunks of the game that are missing or in a broken state. A beta is more or less complete, but still has bugs and other issues that have to be smoothed out.

That’s how I’ve always understood it, anyway.

• Upvote 1

My epic: For Them (Review Topic)

BZPRPG: Trauer and Faora

Bionifight Ultimate: Daedalus Drachoren and Von Worten Undtränen

The Elder Scrolls: Ashfall: K'Larn

So, is the news team going to make an article about this soon? Or have they chosen not to due to the questionable legality surrounding the release?

I have slept for so long. My dreams have been dark ones. But now I am awakened. Now the scattered elements of my being are rejoined. Now I am whole. And the Darkness can not stand before me.

Wew! Bionicle isn't dead!

I wish this was true.  :(  If this had happened around 2008, we would already be on page 6. But there's no one here anymore, and the Bionicle fanbase has largely moved on.

I have slept for so long. My dreams have been dark ones. But now I am awakened. Now the scattered elements of my being are rejoined. Now I am whole. And the Darkness can not stand before me.

I wish this was true.  :(  If this had happened around 2008, we would already be on page 6. But there's no one here anymore, and the Bionicle fanbase has largely moved on.

I remember six or seven years ago when the cutscenes were revealed... oh man, what a nuthouse BZP was for a few weeks. Pages spilling over each other. It was very exciting to get a fresh look at Bionicle's earliest history (plus of course everyone was trying to coax more information out of Red Quark!) People were changing their avatars to the dancing Tohunga and everything; now of course we realize dancing was a bigger part of the game!  :P

Eight years after Bionicle ended, it's nice to get one last little hurrah out of it; most appropriate that it's the matter which has haunted us ever since the beginning. It's a shame that the hundreds of people from back at the beginning of the decade aren't around to see this. But hey, at least we are.

• Upvote 1

i had fun being on that live-stream during the last 2 hours of it. Crazy bunch I tell ya, though I think I somewhat fit in. :P

I should do it more often.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

Now that the files are out, I can't help but wonder if some talented fans might actually make a complete and updated version...

It's unlikely that a fan could finish the game, as we obviously don't know what the developers planned to put in the empty chunks... but it's possible that a fan could make what's there run a little better. I've been poking around the game's files for a while now, as I intend to do just that (I have experience with this kinda thing). It's not gonna be an easy project, though. Most decompilers spit out complete gibberish when you try to load the files, since they're generally designed with only one language in mind... and there's virtually no information on Saffire's game development pipeline online.

Edited by Uhmbra

So, is the news team going to make an article about this soon? Or have they chosen not to due to the questionable legality surrounding the release?

They just made an article about it today, actually. I was wondering the same.

The textures for this mural, along with a couple others, can be found in the game's level files. Here they are in the order they appear:

HAVE CAUTION WHEN WALKING
YOUR FIRST STEP COULD BE
YOUR LAST
FROM ABOVE WILL COME FALLING
CRUMBLING
FLYING TUMBLING FAST
TO YOUR END
YOULL FIND YOURSELF
IF WITH CARE YOU
DO NOT STEP
THROUGH THE
FLOOR YOULL DISAPPEAR
AND IN THE GROUND YOU
WILL BE KEPT

THEY WILL ARISE
OUT OF THEIR SLEEP
AND FUFILL THEIR
MISSION THEY WILL
COME AND PURGE OUR
WORLD OF THE
DARKNESS THAT HAS
INFESTED IT THERE
WILL BE MANY ???TS
AND OBSTACLES ON
THEIR WAY BUT THEY
SHALL WAKE HIM

IT IS
WRITTEN
THE TOA
SHALL
RETURN
AND BRING
PEACE ??O
UNITY
Edited by Uhmbra

I actually got the game to work, but for some reason I'm unable to make any of the Toa turn to face different directions. Using the left and right keys only makes them sidestep, and I've tried all other keys. Does anyone who has played this have an answer on how to turn?

Also, I don't know how to jump.

Edited by Toatapio Nuva

I actually got the game to work, but for some reason I'm unable to make any of the Toa turn to face different directions. Using the left and right keys only makes them sidestep, and I've tried all other keys. Does anyone who has played this have an answer on how to turn?

Did you have to do anything special to get it to work (and can you share what OS/hardware you are using)? I can get the levels to run, except that the environment appears all black, including the Toa -- the only things that show up are the HUD and the particle effects. The audio plays just fine too, and the controls for moving, switching masks, etc. work. Is anyone else experiencing this despite setting SvpRad=1 in the .ini file?

Now that the files are out, I can't help but wonder if some talented fans might actually make a complete and updated version...

It's unlikely that a fan could finish the game, as we obviously don't know what the developers planned to put in the empty chunks... but it's possible that a fan could make what's there run a little better. I've been poking around the game's files for a while now, as I intend to do just that (I have experience with this kinda thing). It's not gonna be an easy project, though. Most decompilers spit out complete gibberish when you try to load the files, since they're generally designed with only one language in mind... and there's virtually no information on Saffire's game development pipeline online.

A lot of discussion on this is ongoing on this Discord server:

https://discord.gg/6bnzdKy

Did you have to do anything special to get it to work (and can you share what OS/hardware you are using)? I can get the levels to run, except that the environment appears all black, including the Toa -- the only things that show up are the HUD and the particle effects. The audio plays just fine too, and the controls for moving, switching masks, etc. work. Is anyone else experiencing this despite setting SvpRad=1 in the .ini file?

I don't know if anyone else has had this problem. I would double-check that the ini file was edited successfully (check that the file extension wasn't changed or anything), and it is running with XP compatibility.

Bugs are also being discussed on the Discord, you might get help there.

Edited by JrMasterModelBuilder
  • Upvote 1

Are signatures still a thing?

I changed the SvpRad=1 thing and ran the game with a compatibility setting for XP (service pack 3), and it worked. I was using a Windows 7 with intel core i5.

I also figured out the movement thing. Since I was on a laptop, I didn't realize you needed the mouse to move and jump. Silly me. :lookaround:

Ah, I'm a buffoon and wasn't setting the compatibility mode correctly. :) I have the environment showing up now, although it seems like collectible items such as tokens are not showing up. I can still pick them up, but I can't always see them; it seems like the coordinates are being computed incorrectly when rendered. Is anyone else experiencing this?