Brakas Sprites Found

balljoint dog

I've been messing around with Tales of the Tohunga recently, and I figured out a cheat that lets you change an object's sprite to any other sprite in the game. Turns out, that includes the Brakas sprites!

yGuoObH.png

(Unfortunately, they default to Takua's color palette, and I don't know how to change that.)

The Brakas has ten unique animations, which you can see in this youtube video right here. Things get a bit glitchy when the original sprite is smaller than the sprite you're replacing it with, so in the movie the Brakas sprite is substituting for a Bula tree on the starting beach in the game.

Idk how kindly BZP takes to talk of emulation, so for more details, check out my Biomedia thread here!

• Upvote 7

Read my blog, you cowards

Cool, great find!! A while back I was wondering if it would be possible to dig up the Brakas sprites from the game, since we have such limited information about its appearance. Alas, I have no expertise whatsoever in hacking games. Thank you!

Do you think there's a way to extract the sprite information directly from memory or from the game binary? I watched a YouTube video once explaining the layout of GameBoy memory and I thought I heard sprites get put in a special place.

Cool, great find!! A while back I was wondering if it would be possible to dig up the Brakas sprites from the game, since we have such limited information about its appearance. Alas, I have no expertise whatsoever in hacking games. Thank you!

Do you think there's a way to extract the sprite information directly from memory or from the game binary? I watched a YouTube video once explaining the layout of GameBoy memory and I thought I heard sprites get put in a special place.

Haha, thanks! I don't have much experience myself, truth be told. The game uses uncompressed graphics, so it's easy enough to open the binary and look at the sprites… but they're broken up into a bunch of pieces, and the whole thing looks like a mess to me.

The way to go would be to use an emulator with an OAM viewer, which lets you view each sprite on screen in isolation and tells you its position in x-y coordinates. It'd still mean piecing together the full sprite, though, and with 10 animations with about 10 sprites each, I'm not feeling particularly inclined to do so.

Read my blog, you cowards

• 3 weeks later...