If G3 ever happened, what do you want to see?

ToaSerwain

yo

it's that time for the year again, asking bzpower as usual which kind of G3 do they want and why. for me at least, I want to see a new building system that kinda mixes in both ccbs and the old technic joints - whilst improving on both and doing something different, something like KK2 - but without the posability flaw. because by looking at it, it'll please both parties of naysayers of ccbs and people who like ccbs. 

the story however, would be either similiar in fasnion to G2 or something brand new. but tbh, as some people here, what I really want to see is something at least giving the same sorta feel as bionicle g1. not a contiunation no-no, simliar in concept, but not the same thing. 

so yeah, go for it I guess.

• Upvote 2

G3 will never happen.

But to answer the question - I think the main problem with G2 was that it was stuck between trying to nostalgia-bait older fans and bring in new, younger fans (younger than the old fans were back in 2001, too). I think a G3 would have to go the whole hog either way - a full modern recreation of G1 with Rahi, Bohrok, Rahkshi etc, or a completely new story and completely new characters (at which point you may as well call it something other than Bionicle).

This will also never happen, but I'd love them to ditch CCBS. I find it so awkward to build with! I wouldn't want a totally System-based G3, but I would like to see more playsets as I think the world-building in G1 was fantastic and seeing more locations in set form would be great.

• Like 1

It's more of a question of "when" and not "if", but I think to avoid the awkward halfway-reboot/halfway-reference baiting G1 route which G2 took that failed to capture the imaginations of both old fans and new instead of the goal of capturing both (of course, some of us, including me, really liked G2, but not enough), Lego needs to commit to one method or the other. 

Either they take the base concept and idea that is Bionicle without carrying over names and typical story beats, thus taking things in a fresh direction while still capturing the essence of Bionicle. While I personally am somewhat opposed to the idea of not seeing the six Toa Mata again in some form, it's not like over the 10 year run of G1 it was entirely consistent, thus trying something new can still be done while still being Bionicle. Keep the tropical vibes, the six elements (I'm adamant about stone) and six heroes, but drop the rest and take the story and setting into an entirely new direction. 

The other way is the exact opposite, and to link directly to G1. "But Pohaturon, that's impossible to pull off well, it ended 8 years ago with a bunch of complex plot threads!". Yes, I know and the reasons why a direct G1 continuation wouldn't work have been discussed to death. This could be pulled off by setting G3 such a long amount of time after the events of 2010's story that the events wouldn't be of direct consequence. This would still make it accessible to news fans while allowing Lego to pepper it with references, call-backs and such to actual G1 events and characters. Maybe bring back the Mata as Turaga, for example.

:kakama:

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

Better lore. G1 got a little convoluted and nonsensical with this sometimes, even from the start. Why to Matoran of a given type all have to be the same gender? What separates Earth and Stone? Why couldn't anyone figure out that it was clearly Ahkmou who ate all the pies (because, let's be real, who else could bring themselves to do such a thing)? It'd also be cool to see information about things G1 didn't go into as quite much depth with, like politics and culture.

• Upvote 2

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"

G2 was almost on a right track but the story was too simplified and tried to introduce too many changes including weak names for the protector characters.
                   --------------------------------------------- Heroes

• For example the Protector's personal names arent advertised on the boxes and people forget those names in favor of their "protector of *"
  • Masks used as elemental source batteries was completely nonsensical.
  • Too much heavy usage of silver gold on the heroes. They should have done the metallic colors when the Toa were upgraded to Uniter. Thats what makes the metallic colors seem less important compared to 2002 Nuva..Toa Mata was all Primary and Tertiary colors.

---------------------------------------------Villains

All of the enemies lacked personality

• The bone warriors barely have behaviour personalities and don't have any beliefs of their own.
  • The skull spiders were just mindless zombie parasites with a weak leader.
  • The Elemental beasts were just upgraded cannon fodder compared to the spiders
  • Makuta had a lot if wasted set potential and should have gotten his own set much sooner instead of being a complex combiner.

---------------------------------------------Builds
    I dont mind the CCBS but I think the usage of translucent colors was a little heavy on the limbs. but if we could get more body details on the shells like we saw on the uniter chest pieces. stickers just arent exciting. also the uniter weapons had a major flaw IMO, the rubber material has a big chance of getting bent out of shape easily.
Edited by Toa of Ice - 1987

qs3135.jpg

The chances of a G3 are very low to say the least. After the performance of G2 I doubt the company will want to take a gamble on bionicle again. If it did happen I simply ask for more care being put into the story and characters. Actual ways of communicating these characters to the audience on mass. Not dumbing them down as seen in journey to one.

• Upvote 1

It's time to move on.

• 2 weeks later...

A less whiny fan community would be a plus. Not sure that's possible for a Bionicle theme at all, though.

In all seriousness, there's definitely things that would be nice to see for G3. G2 pushed things forward really far in terms of builds, so it'd be amazing if a subsequent Bionicle theme could go even farther. Articulated fingers? Articulated... faces? Bigger, more complex sets like creatures and vehicles? System sets with IFB-style minifigures? There are a lot of directions I'd love to see Bionicle go in the future. I wouldn't want those things to come at the expense of the advances G2 already made, though, particularly the integration of CCBS-based articulation and Technic-based action features.

Story-wise... just a more consistently developed world and characters would be a plus. Longer-form storytelling (like a movie or TV/Netflix series with more episodes) could help in that respect, though I fully recognize the barriers that exist to that, especially after G2 failed to meet expectations. A part of me had thought last year that Bionicle's best shot at a return sooner rather than later might be a movie in the Lego Movie universe, though with the lessened acclaim for the Lego Batman Movie and Lego Ninjago Movie, I'm not sure that's all that likely anymore.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I’d rather see a constraction equivalent to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, where all of Lego’s constraction themes with original stories, Bionicle, Hero Factory, Slizers/Throwbots, and Roboriders, having a crossover with each other by sharing the same universe, and the heroes from them work together to fight evil, Avengers style. I would call this the Shared Lego Constraction Universe.

That’s where Bionicle G3 would start. Bionicle would be the first to show up before the other themes would. In this new reboot, it would take the approach similar to Spider-Man Homecoming in 2017 (I always look at Bionicle G2 as a Bionicle equivalent to The Amazing Spider-Man movie series in 2012-2014). In there, G3 would be mostly similar to G1, but with some minor changes and the story would be sort of different. Let’s just say that Bionicle’s heroes have new adventures. The story would start with the Toa Mata as Matoran who are trained to fight like Toa before they would transform into the Toa, who would be the mix of the Toa Mata and Toa Masters in 2015, but no gold or silver on them. Then, their Toa forms would be the main heroes of G3’s first year as least. Their first foes would be the Rahkshi and Teridax. When Bionicle goes on, the Toa would become Toa Uniters, then Toa Nuva, and then 2008 Toa Nuva. Also, I would like Takanuva, the Toa Metru/Toa Hordika, Toa Inika/Toa Mahri, the good-hearted Glatorian, including Gresh, Mata Nui (being), and Ekimu to be main heroes again somehow. The heroes also face their old villains, maybe put some new ones, but the old villains do new evil plans. Also, bring other old and significant secondary characters from G1 and G2. G2 has a problem with secondary characters because it replaced the G1 ones with the G2 ones. The first year of Bionicle G3 would be a full year or six months, so Hero Factory and then the other themes would take over, like hot potato, as they take turns (well, each of the two of them, S/T and RoboRiders, would last for only six months or a year, but the characters and their worlds can return in Bionicle and Hero Factory as secondary characters, similar to the Hulk from a movie called Thor: Ragnarok in 2017).

Then, the main heroes from the themes work together to form a team (say, Tahu, Preston Stormer from Hero Factory, and heroic leaders from S/T and RoboRiders, and perhaps call their team the Constraction Heroes or the Robotic Heroes) to fight evil, like Black Phantom as the main antagonist in the first team-up year (I would imagine that to be the shared universe’s own Loki from the Avengers movie in 2012 and Steppenwolf from the Justice League movie in 2017), then Von Nebula from HF or Makuta Teridax in the second year (Teridax would be like Ultron from a movie called Avengers: Age of Ultron in 2015) in the second year, and probably Von Nebula or Teridax again or Velika or some new villain in the third and perhaps final year (if the new crossover theme is successful enough to continue, it would do so. Plus, that part would be like an upcoming movie called Avengers: Infinity War coming this year because this is like the ultimate battle in the franchise where the heroes unite again to fight their new ultimate enemy who is looking for certain magical stuff to do conquest.).

To make things look more crossover-ish, I would say that in the Bionicle story where the Bionicle villains use weapons and technology from other themes’ villains while the non-Bionicle villains use the stuff from the Bionicle ones later on in the new franchise. It’s like Spider-Man: Homecoming where the Vulture is collecting space alien stuff from the events of the Avengers movie to make some weapons and gadgets that could help him and his thugs do some robberies. Imagine the Piraka using weapons from Von Nebula and Black Phantom and the Hero Factory villains use the Brotherhood of Makuta’s weapons, for examples.

Also, I would like to have a storyline and a year where the main Bionicle heroes fight against the Hero Factory. I would go with the Toa Nuva fighting against Breakout Alpha 1 Team from Hero Factory. Each team is adapted to be the other’s weakness, as the Toa Nuva’s Adaptivr Armor can adapt to any attack from the Heroes while the Heroes use equipment that can counter the Toa as well. Imagine Tahu and Stormer fighting each other, as Tahu can use fire against Stormer while Stormer can use ice against Tahu. It’s like those two movies, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and Captain America: Civil War in 2016.

As for sets, here’s some ideas:

1. Using the building systems in 2001-2003 and 2006, and all figures should have bendable limbs. Don't make them look too weird or faulty designs on the joints (the Bionicle 2016 sets have this problem), and give the sets good color schemes. Also, their final designs shouldn't leave anything out (Bionicle's Caparar and Nuparu Mahri in 2007 have this problem by abandoning their weapons. You could look at Kongu Mahri because he never kept his main weapon, too.). Make all the sets equal in every way, like having all masks in many possibilities (Bionicle G2 and probably Hero Factory has this problem. Not every G2's Toa has a Skull foe to fight or mask to recover, specifically, for example.).

2. For the combiner models, give all sets a chance to be in a combiner in every way (Bionicle's Sidorak and Roodaka never combined, which is an example of a problem). All-members-in-a-group combiners should happen, like having all six Toa Mata combine into a Toa Nui, for example. Don't make combiners look too weird, and I would like them to be in the story somehow, like fusion of members of a team.

3. For terms of money, small sets should be $5-7, medium sets $10-12, and large sets at least $15-20 or more. Bionicle G2 has this money problem. Also, bring back the titan combiner sets (Bionicle G1's Takutanuva, Ultimate Dume, Voporak, and Vezon and Kardas are such sets). For the instruction manuals, make the pictures 3-D in at least the small and medium sets again, like Bionicle G1's early years. Also like those years, have manuals show instructions for the combiners again. It would be neat if the canisters are brought back. Don't make the small and medium sets too chunky by amounts of pieces (Bionicle G2 probably has this problem). G2’s sets are a bit too expensive.

For the story, it should be as good as Bionicle G1 or Ninjago, and they could use references on Lego constraction stuff and perhaps on other similar franchises, like Marvel and DC Comics, for fun (that part is like that part in the Hero Factory TV show’s Brain Attack episode where Bulk did this “Bulk smash!” attack and used his shield as a boomerang, which is similar to the Hulk and Captain America from Marvel, respectively) as well. Plus, put humans and the planet Earth in there this time because this could make Bionicle look more human, like Steven Universe, and better. I know it’s like Transformers, but there are Bionicle characters, so that’s different.

For the media, a TV show with 10-13 22-minute episodes per season. No Netflix, and the show would be on Cartoon Network or Disney XD, and the primary source of story that shows character development greatly and better than other media. Make all characters in their sets equal to each other in every way in all media (Bionicle G2 and Hero Factory have this problem. Kopaka never had his mask stolen, specifically, for example). Don't make stuff in the story look confusing, not even to the sets, and don't make too silly. Just have a good amount of comedy and a super-great and dominant amount of action. Also, no unresolved stuff, rude cancellations, or rushing before the theme ends. Plus, a theatrical movie(s), which could be either a Lego Movie with positive reviews this time (unlike The Lego Ninjago Movie, which sort of disappointingly got mixed reviews) or a live-action or 3-D animated movie with humans and the Planet Earth, similar to Transformers, but with constraction characters and always positive reviews, like the Avengers. Well, G3 can have the TV show while the movies can have their own alternate universe. I’m fine either way.

For video games, constraction-based Bionicle Lego TT Games video games with positive reviews (and make every boss-looking antagonists bosses with boss meters, and make the game be open-world, like the Lego City Undercover, the Lego DC Comics games, The Lego Ninjago Movie video game, and the the Lego Marvel games). Online games would include something similar to Bionicle's Mata Nui Online Games and Voya Nui Online Game.

The chapter books, comics, and online serials would just be side stories or re-tell the stories from the TV show or movie(s). Do not make sets for characters that aren't too important in the story (Bionicle G1's 2007, 2008, and 2009 characters, like Lesovikk and Mazeka, sort of have problems with that, for examples. However, they can be shown in cameos if they aren't too important). Again, the TV show is a great way of telling stories must apply to all of the other media. Even Ninjago is doing it because of its TV show.

For the animation or whatever look on the constraction characters, there would be a mix of certain animation styles. They would have realistic parts of their bodies, like the first three Bionicle direct-to-video movies, looking very accurate to the sets, like Bionicle: The Legend Reborn, Hero Factory TV show, and Bionicle: Journey to One, but to the sets' final designs specifically rather than the prototypes (B:TLR and HF have this problem. Plus, no spinning pins from B:TLR.). Make them look 3-D animated, like all four Bionicle direct-to-video movies and HF, rather than looking 2-D-3-D mixed (like Iron Man: Armored Adventures and Transformers: Robots in Disguise in 2015. B:tJtO has this problem.). No drawing-like 2-D animation as the main animation style (Bionicle G2's online animations in 2015 have this problem. Plus, make their limbs look atracked.). Nothing in the media or sets go missing, so everything should be there. Give the constraction characters pupils. Think of this as a Transformers: Prime animation style. For actors in TV shows, I prefer famous ones from Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, B:tLR, and/or HF TV show (Hero Factory's Invasion From Below episode and B:tJtO have actors that we don't know, and the Bionicle 2015 online animations only have one actor voicing everyone. Weird.). Like, have Clancy Brown voice Tahu and Kevin Michael Richardson voice Teridax. For actors in theatrical movies, use celebrities from the Lego Movies. Like, have Hugh Jackman play Tahu and Josh’s Brolin play Teridax.

As for promotional stuff, I would say everything in Bionicle G3 should be well-promoted and equally.

I would also go with -Chronix-‘s idea about the stuff he mentioned.

So, yeah, that's all I can think of. This is an ideal thing for me, and I would like everything to be perfect. I know it's a lot of stuff that I said, but that would do. I want G3 to feel like G1 or better.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Why couldn't anyone figure out that it was clearly Ahkmou who ate all the pies (because, let's be real, who else could bring themselves to do such a thing)?

Are you kidding me?  That heist has "Hafu Original" written all over it.

(getting back on topic...)

I'd like to see the Kaita show up as actual characters in the story, not just the Mana-smashing super moves they were in G1.  I'd like to see them with actual personalities - part of the team, not just some sort of Kaita Ex Machina the Toa can summon.  Maybe they're some sort of ancient spirits of wisdom and valor that can only take physical form when the Toa fuse into a Kaita.  If this was a world without Turaga, the Kaita could serve as the Toa's teachers and guides.

And all the other things I've said in the other G3 resurrection topics applies too.

• Upvote 1

Avatar by Nicholas Anderson (NickonAquaMagna)

My blog: The Jaga's Nest

G2 had a lot of great stuff going for it. Main things I'd like to see in the future that G2 lacked are more girl characters and a less myopically action-focused storyline. Show us what makes the Toa and villagers happy when they're NOT fighting evil. Show us more of what they're fighting FOR. Give the characters senses of humor and moments of emotional vulnerability. Teach them life lessons that aren't just about how to be better warriors. Ya know, stuff like LEGO Elves and LEGO Ninjago do so well.

As sets go, I agree with Lyi that articulated fingers could be a nice new development. But generally the Bionicle G2 sets did a good job recreating and evolving a lot of the most important attributes of G1 sets like gear functions, masks, shooters, and energetic color schemes.

Price-wise, I could see Bionicle doing best with either a $10–15 price for the main heroes like the later years of Hero Factory or a $15–20 price for the main heroes like G2 had. Needless to say, the former makes collecting the main characters cheaper, but potentially limits how much variety and complexity is possible with smaller villager and creature sets. And the latter allows you to get much more impressive builds for the main characters.

Beyond all that my tastes aren't too particular. All in all, G2 managed to not only meet but exceed a lot of my expectations. So probably a lot of the particulars of what it needed beyond that have to do with meeting new fans' personal preferences, not my own.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ooh! This is something that has bothered me all of G1 and G2...

I want a story to take place on a continent! I don't want the toa (or heroes) to save the island from invading evil, I want to have a quest that involves world building spanning across a larger land mass with different cities and cultures.

Now, I know what you're thinking: "But Evergrey, we have that! Each element is a different culture and they're just in different regions of the island! And you can still world build on an island and blah, blah..."

Hear me out! The toa and matoran/villagers have a home city/metropolis comprised of people living together regardless of what element they are. And the Toa are the guardians of that city from threats in the land outside the city. The threats include Rahi (both a mixture of actual known wildlife and myths (ex. a Bionicle equivalent of a Hydra or something)). and we could have another city that has inhabitants of all the elements and the toa are on a quest to find their mask powers together instead of individually, and they encounter the rahi and bounty hunters, and minions of the evil Makuta who is trying to force all the cities on the continent to submit to his will and join his empire.

Or something along those lines?

As far as sets are concerned...not sure, but it just bothers me that they always stick to the island thing when they very well could try to make a story based around a continent (and that would give more potential to world build, to expand people's imaginations, and they could incorporate so much more story material into journeys and give the story more breath rather than just always having fights and conflicts.

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

Ideally an extension of some sort to Gen 1, be it a continuation, a soft reboot, or an episodic gap-filling exercise of things that happened during the events of Gen 1.

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

I think that if G3 comes, and there's no reason to believe it will, but if it does, it needs to be modelled on G1 more closely than G2 was. It should be simplified, but not overly childlike, and perhaps geared to slightly older children than Lego's target audience for G2. Say 9-12 year olds instead of 7-9 year olds? I'd say bringing in some new characters would be a better idea than rehashing the Toa Mata as well. New names, new story and new generation. 

:) Try my Shadows of Artakha fanfiction!  :)

G2 had some good sets but the biggest problem was that it catered too much to little kids. The script and voice acting were also lackluster IMO. Bionicle is not just a bunch of sets, it's very story-driven--which means it needs to have better tie-in content. G1 did this aspect very well. These days, there's a lot of entertainment that can be enjoyed by all ages (e.g. Voltron, Avatar, etc.) so production values need to be better.

wearewaiting.gif

qs4592.jpg

qs4592.jpg

qs4592.jpg

The power is in me. The sword is but the focus.

G2 had some good sets but the biggest problem was that it catered too much to little kids. The script and voice acting were also lackluster IMO. Bionicle is not just a bunch of sets, it's very story-driven--which means it needs to have better tie-in content. G1 did this aspect very well. These days, there's a lot of entertainment that can be enjoyed by all ages (e.g. Voltron, Avatar, etc.) so production values need to be better.

Weirdly, I've had people argue to me on other sites that its biggest problem was catering too much to adults. Generally, I think the media left a lot to be desired, but I feel like its quality issues were not target age related. After all, the series you mention as examples of ones all ages can enjoy (Avatar and Voltron) are still very definitely aimed at kids. And I don't think lackluster quality will make any series MORE popular with young kids than it would be if the quality were higher.

• Upvote 1