Favorite metallic colors

TERIDAX941

So! New "favorites" topic: what are your favorite metallic bionicle pieces? Gold, silver, iron grey (or whatever they called those) chrome, and all the varieties within those categories.

I really liked the variety of gold they used with the Golden Kanohi in 2001. I was a bit saddened when it didn't make an appearance again. I did enjoy the bronze gold that Takanuva and Lhikan used, although I actually was probably expecting Lhikan to use pearl gold instead, since his first catalog description said "gold" which was later turned to "bronze" but oh well. Once Brutaka and the Piraka came onto the scene, now THAT was some gold work collecting. It seemed shinier, and had lots more kick to it in my opinion.

Silver had lots of ups and downs for me. I recently gotten the chrome Hau which I think is the best silver mask one could get period. The silver Mata kanohi were nice, but seemed more grey than real silver. The protodermis masks seemed better fitting for the job, I was able to collect Onua's which made me super happy.

Not much in my opinion to say about other metallic pieces. The dark grey pieces that came on Makuta were fun, and they made a comeback with Avak and Hakann... can't remember if I've seen them anywhere else.

Last but not least, who can forget the metallic colors of the Krana-Kal. They deserve an honorable mention just for the variety of colors you got, especially with the green and blue.

But that's me. What about you guys? Is there a type you love using in your MOCs, or that you just like more than others throughout the years? :)

• Upvote 1

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

So! New "favorites" topic:

Not much in my opinion to say about other metallic pieces. The dark grey pieces that came on Makuta were fun, and they made a comeback with Avak and Hakann... can't remember if I've seen them anywhere else.

That color is commonly referred to as Gunmetal and Hewkii Inika has it as a primary color and Hahli's Harpoon gun

Maxilos and Spinax also have a lot of gunmetal armor parts including two of vezon/mask of life heads and lehvak kal shields. Takanuva 2008 has 3 armor pieces and his mask in Gunmetal colors as well

I personally loved the chrome hau color of the metallic colors and really wish most silver items would have used it as a weapon color. The regular Pearl Silver lego used had tendencies to have issues with loose grips/handles commonly on Takanuva staffs from 2003 and beyond.

However the new chromed/shiny silver on the light saber handles included in Star Wars Ultra Build Figures is really good though.

Edited by Toa of Ice - 1987

qs3135.jpg

The Takanuva/Lhikan/Iruini brand of dull gold has to be my favorite, to be honest. 

However, on that note, weren't the off-color weird shiny/swirly colors used by the Rahkshi attempting to go for a metallic effect? I have a love/hate relationship with those pieces, as on one hand they look great, but on the other no other parts share those colors so MOCing with them is really bloody difficult.

:kakama:

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

The one I use most extensively in MOCs is easily Titanium Metallic (post-2010 gunmetal), but my favorites on a sentimental level are probably Reddish Gold (the color of the prototype Kanohi Avohkii I own) and Copper Metallic (still too rare to get much use out of, but a simply gorgeous color that I hope to see used more in the future).

I personally don't have favorites when it comes to color, I just like any good color scheme. All these metallic colors work on different levels in different designs. It's not what the color is, it's how you use it. Even hot pink can be used to make something look cool if you pair it with the right stuff and put it in the right places.

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"

I did like the lighter gold on Brutaka and others. Was quite appealing against darker colors. My favorite, though, is probably the old gunmetal that was used on Makuta. Great alternative for villains to straight up black, which had been used as an earth color. Gave the appearance of being armored and still pretty intimidating.

rahkshi_symbol.png

I personally like the metallic colors of the Rahkshi sets.

(I don't know if those count or not since there more color than metal.)

I love how they blend with other metal colors so nicely.

I love mixing the Rahkshi colors with G2 gunmetal. Lovely combination.

G2 silver is more of a steel color to me and personal find it more weapon like.

G1 silver is light and has its place in lighter colored MOCs.

I personally like G2 metal colors better for weaponry designs and dark color schemes.

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

Huh, so I've had the Rahkshi since 2003, and I've never noticed that their colors were supposed to be somewhat metallic. I just presumed they were a slight deviation of the standard Toa colors.  :???:  :blink:  Did I miss something with those guys?

Formerly Iron_Man5

Huh, so I've had the Rahkshi since 2003, and I've never noticed that their colors were supposed to be somewhat metallic. I just presumed they were a slight deviation of the standard Toa colors.  :???:  :blink:  Did I miss something with those guys?

Yup! Even though Bricklink doesn't list the colors differently (except for White Metallic, listed as Pearl White), all six Rahkshi used rare metallic colors for their heads, backs, and feet:

184 Bright Red Metallic

185 Bright Blue Metallic

186 Dark Green Metallic

187 Earth Orange Metallic

149 Black Metallic

183 White Metallic

All of these were only used for their respective Rahkshi (and parts tubs that included Rahkshi parts), with the exception of Black Metallic, which was also used for 2003 Makuta's mask and a few Vorahk parts reused in the Kikanalo.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Yup! Even though Bricklink doesn't list the colors differently (except for White Metallic, listed as Pearl White), all six Rahkshi used rare metallic colors for their heads, backs, and feet:

184 Bright Red Metallic

185 Bright Blue Metallic

186 Dark Green Metallic

149 Black Metallic

183 White Metallic

All of these were only used for their respective Rahkshi (and parts tubs that included Rahkshi parts), with the exception of Black Metallic, which was also used for 2003 Makuta's mask and a few Vorahk parts reused in the Kikanalo.

Huh, who would've thought. Thanks! 

1863297_0.jpg

• Upvote 2

Formerly Iron_Man5

184 Bright Red Metallic

185 Bright Blue Metallic

186 Dark Green Metallic

149 Black Metallic

183 White Metallic

Slight correction — Bright Blue Metallic was also used for the character Scrambler in a Duplo Bob the Builder set! But yeah, the color palette was getting kind of out of control around that time, with lots of colors that weren't being used widely across multiple sets and themes. Since then the color palette's been shrunk from over 150 colors to around 60.