A slightly different art collection

Taka Nuvia

20190530_nokama_topic.jpg

In order to not flood GA (because yes, I still draw Bionicle-based stuff from time to time! Just never get around to posting it...), here's an art collection. All new stuff will be put here - if you're interested in some of my older works, there's a list at the bottom of this post. As for the rest and future plans, I intend to put stuff up as it comes along, new stuff on top, and of course update posts.

Comments and criticism are greatly appreciated, as always!

----

query - ruins (posted 2021-09-20) - New

Protector of Fire (see above; link leads to post in this topic) (added 10/03/2021)

Protector helmet sketches (added 13/11/2020) 

Nokama Metru & Hordika (added 30/06/2020; drawn 05/2019)

A-tak-nid (added 16/05/2020)

untitled Toa (added 11/05/2020)

Turaga Vakama (added 11/10/2018; drawn in 2017)

Hahli Mahri Watercolour Profile (added 15/08/2018)

Hahli Mahri Sketches (added 09/08/2018)

Taka Nuvia (added 25/06/2018) - Original post (w/description)

----

Mantax (posted 12/05/2018) 

This was originally drawn in ballpoint pen, then coloured with coloured pencils and some gel pens. And then I re-outlined the whole thing because it was a mess, added the background (ink wash, technically.) I just really like Mantax's design, and it's been ages since I last drew him (six years or something. Time flies. D: )
I may point out that this was done without a reference because you know, I draw most things while on the subway, to uni. (obviously, colouring and background were added later, at home. I don't carry that many supplies around all the time.) So it's sorta inaccurate, but I'm actually fairly happy with it design-wise. ^^

---

Old art topics

(from 2015 onwards, tho much older stuff is still on my brickshelf somewhere.)

Protector (Jan 2015) || 2015 Gali Pencil sketch (Jan 2015) || Mastering Water (Feb 2015) || Protector of Ice (April 2015) || Overcome by Darkness (May 2015) ||
Re-built (Oct 2015) || Protector of Fire - some studies (Nov 2015) || Yet another Protector of Fire (Nov 2015)
Nothing you can do (Feb 2016) || Hybrid (May 2016) || Portrait of a Protector (May 2016) || Creep from the Deep (September 2016) || cuties (some matoran) (October 2016)
Rahaga (January 2017) || Nokama Portrait (Feb 2017) || Rahkshi (Oct 2017) || Sleeping Beauty (Nov 2017)

Edited by Taka Nuvia
added another drawing.
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 5

20210512_strollin_banner.jpg

My art collection topic - updated! (21/09/2021)

• 1 month later...

New artwork!

tnuvz2018_thurr.jpg

click thumbnail above or follow this link

I basically just wanted to see what my oldest character ever would look like in her current iteration - and just for once, in colour. Because yes, I am still sticking to the old colour cheme from who-knows-when-probably-2009.

Colouring was done in coloured pencils, sadly some things from other pages sort of... show up for some reason. Inking was done with a brush pen, and the background is an ink wash. It took me a while to complete this, mainly because I waited forever in between the inking and colouring stages, because I really didn't want to mess it up. :)

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Wow, the Taka Nuvia piece is amazing! Love the detail in the head.

Thanks! :D It was fun to draw.

Very nice! I like how she's posed, looks like she's getting serious.

That was the idea :D Glad you like it! ^^

------

E: of course, today's the day I want to post some art as well ^^' might as well add it in here, then.

somehahlis.jpg

Just some preparatory Hahli Mahri sketches for a small watercolour thing I want to try. (and will also put here once it's done). Ultimately I decided to do the profile view because watercolour's a fairly new medium to me, so I want the motive to note be overly complicated, at least. :)

Edited by Taka Nuvia
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Wow, I hope once you're more comfortable in the medium you'll come back to the front view, because that sketch is great. I love her look of determination, and the shape of the Faxon is really well-done--it's clearly a Faxon, but with a distinctly feminine form that I think pretty clearly evokes Hahli and not Lesovikk (though I might just be imagining that).

On that note, if that was intentional, I'd love to see your take on Lesovikk! I haven't spent much time in General Art, but I can't say I've seen the same Kanohi drawn on two characters of different genders by the same artist.

Fantastic work as usual, and good luck with the watercolor!

• Upvote 1

banner.jpg

hahlimahri.jpg

... and because I said I'd put it here, it's what I do now. ^^ Nothing big, just a monochromatic thingie to work out how my watercolours behave. And it's okay I guess? Might have chosen a less intense shade of blue, but overall I'm okay with it. And my scanner really hates the watercolour paper. Ah well. ^_^

--

Wow, I hope once you're more comfortable in the medium you'll come back to the front view, because that sketch is great. I love her look of determination, and the shape of the Faxon is really well-done--it's clearly a Faxon, but with a distinctly feminine form that I think pretty clearly evokes Hahli and not Lesovikk (though I might just be imagining that).

On that note, if that was intentional, I'd love to see your take on Lesovikk! I haven't spent much time in General Art, but I can't say I've seen the same Kanohi drawn on two characters of different genders by the same artist.

Fantastic work as usual, and good luck with the watercolor!

Haha thanks, maybe I will. :) (or make an evern better sketch, who knows ^^') Glad the mask is recogniseable! This time I did look up the set before/while drawing it, as opposed to my usual "I'll just draw what I remember from ~5 years ago, who cares..." ^^

Huh, Lesovikk.. Guess I'd have to look him up again, i't been such a long time. o.o

Thanks again! :)

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

vakama.jpg

Just realised that I can't remember posting this one. It's actually from last year? Somewhere around the end of 2017, anyway. I rarely ever draw Turaga Vakama, although I love that scene in MoL where he whacks the Rakshi (Rahkshi? idk 'bout the spelling) in the head with his staff. Beautiful. :3

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I have no interest in cluttering the GA forums with my topics and my topics alone, but since I started drawing more Bionicle stuff again, I think it might be time to revive this topic. And, being me, I checked the rules a whole three times to make sure it's okay, so here we are! :D

20200511_toa_random_s.jpg

I'll start things off with the most recent drawing, and will probably get this thing up to date over the course of the next few weeks, so stay tuned. ^^

• Like 2

For your most recent drawing, I particularly enjoy the details that you have placed into the character's neck muscles. I also think that you have pulled off the female chest well. With due respect to your skill, I also think that the finger tips could use a little more work in the shading so that they match the finger sections closer to the hand. 

I wish you well in your artistic endeavors. 

• Like 1

65CADFB1-71A6-4834-9873-A0688218AE4A.jpeg.294e0981febcdee92eac3ac1b59f4caa.jpeg

202004_ataknid.jpg

Annd here's the image to accompany the pun in my current display name. One of my more inspired doodles this year so far. :)

----

11 hours ago, ZOMBI3S said:

Always good to see new Bionicle art. Your style is dope!! A good mix of traditional Bionicle with some humanized elements, my personal favorite! And your colors are very nice. Very pastel, much beautiful. wow.

Thank you! Yea I like to draw in a more humanized style, glad it's enjoyable ^^

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I love your blend between organic and mechanical in your Bionicle art! Also always a big fan of seeing traditional media in use. 

Also huge props for rendering good so well in colored pencil- I always struggle to get the warmer, buttery tones right.

I can't wait to see what else you create!

• Like 1

Whatever mountain you are climbing, you can do this.

BZPRPG character masterpost

20220406_234727.jpg

"Just promise me something... don't let me go."

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 12/12/2021 at 11:29 PM, Axelford said:

Just discovered this topic, very nice artwork, I love the middle ground of artistic license used on the characters and pieces shown. Do you have any tips on drawing Bionicle characters or characters in general? 

Hey there, thanks for the nice comment! :D

As for drawing characters - I'd suggest getting used to observing the people around you, especially when out and about in the world. How they move, howw their proportions and bodies are structured, how they interact with their environment and vice versa. (obviously, I don't mean to say "stare at everyone for prolonged stretches of time", but that should be clear anyway). If you feel awkward studying irl people, that's fine. Movies and TV exist too. ^^

Personally I like to use a sketchbook to have a chronological overview of the things I've drawn, as well as note down things I noticed. I carry something to draw wherever I go.

As for Bionicle characters, it depends on what you want to do? If you want to lean in a set-like direction, make sure you either have the set around or look for images online so you have a reference to help you.

Stylization is a harder one to comment on. I'd say dare to try new things, and keep in mind that not everything will always work out, and that's okay! Using references also helps a lot. Say you want to draw a character that's associated with Plant Life, and you have the idea to add leaf textures somewhere in their armour. The illusion becomes a lot more believable if you look at images (or ideally, a real leaf :) ).

Personally I like to model the characters on the human form, so I just sketch that out first, then use the set to figure out the shapes for the armour. For a while I even used to draw the characters completely humanized/as humans - that wasn't quite popular ^^' but I liked it back then, so yea. Draw what you like, what you enjoy.

Figure out what inspires you, draw from that. Study it, too. Look at art you enjoy and figure out why - is it the poses? The stylization? The lighting? Try to analyze that and finally - don't forget to practise, but also to have fun!

... okay, this was a lot more than anticipated. I hope some of it was helpful.

• Like 3

These are all beautiful. The Nokama one might be my favorite. It makes me wish the transition from bright to darker colors happened in '05 instead of '04, it would have seemed more poignant.

That spider is also really cool.

• Like 1

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/11/2022 at 8:15 PM, Taka Nuvia said:

As for drawing characters - I'd suggest getting used to observing the people around you

Sorry for not replying sooner! Thank you for the advice, I already do some of these things in a limited scope, I can already draw hands well due to the references at my fingertips! XD But I suppose I should up my game in observing and sketching daily.

As to Bionicle figures, I think I am on the same page as you, I like more humanoid inspired ones so I suppose drawing a humanoid then morphing pieces over the torso is best.  Hopefully I can share results of practice sometime in the future!

• 2 months later...

Absolutely splendid artwork Taka! I really ought to check up on here more often, makes me want to put up another art topic here myself :)

I really like the Nokama one! It has a very digital feel to it, which I'm biased towards :P was the whole thing done digitally, or just the colours? Either way I'd love to see it completed!

The sketches of the protector helmets are very nice too I have to say, got a good giggle out of the A-Tak-Nid as well. I think the 'query - ruins' piece is my favourite out of the bunch though, just has a really good atmosphere to it, great use of the medium.

Hope to see more of your artwork here soon! :D

--Akaku: Master of Flight

• Like 1

"I've brushed with death so often I should start giving him high-fives while I pass."

Recent Work: Return to Forum (2024)
Friend's works: Terrible Comics (2016) | The Guardians of Gevra Nui (2017) | Reborn (2016)
Older Work: The Legends of Taladi Nui (2017)