Secrets of Abandoned Bionicle Game Surface

Back in 2001 when Bionicle was gaining its footing, LEGO hired gaming company Saffire Corporation to design a Bionicle game that would feature the Toa learning their abilities and joining forces to save the island of Mata Nui from Rahi and to fight Makuta. After plenty of advertisements for the game in LEGO Mag and the Bionicle comic, some even promising an orange Kanohi Vahi collectible with purchase, the game fell through. Sound ridiculous? Check out the

from DidYouKnowGaming? for a thorough explanation of what was expected of the game and what caused its demise. The good news? BioMedia Project has obtained a copy of the final build for the game and is working on making it serviceable for fans to play! Check out their website for more info, including opportunities for beta testing to work out the bugs.

View the full article

• Upvote 4

So the development wasn't too troubled. It just sounds like the upper management was being bad to the employees. I mean outside of not paying them the 9/11 excuse seems pretty weird to say the least. It sounds like they lied to the employees to spare them knowing Lego just didn't care about their work. This game actually looked decent and seems like something I would have played a lot as a kid.

• Upvote 1

It's time to move on.

Also posted on YouTube:

Watching these kinds of "lost media" videos always makes me feel sad somehow. Maybe because most of them ultimately start with someone having a genuine creative spark, and how tragic it can be for an aspiring creator to not be able to show others their ideas. It's even more depressing for me to watch this, me being a lifelong BIONICLE fan and having felt the mysterious allure of this game most of my life. Still, it does bring me a sense of closure, and the last segment about the staff's sense of humor was a fun bit to end on. Also, I wonder how BIONICLE must seem to someone who hasn't grown up with it.

• Upvote 1

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

As others have already said, this is awesome news both for Bionicle fans and BZPower community. BioMedia has become quite the resource! So much mystery and memory is wound up in this game.

Needless to say, it hardly need be said what I'll be delving into this summer... :P

pirate wreck