Activision Blizzard Announces Overwatch LEGO Sets are Coming

Earlier today Activision Blizzard announced a flurry of new licensing partnerships for things like apparel, toy blasters, costumes, calendars, cookbooks, action figures, and construction toys. Yep, construction toys. Surprisingly, to the delight of many, and despite Mattel having the license for Destiny, another Activision Blizzard property, LEGO was announced as the partner, " for multiple Overwatch building sets across various price points." While I'm sure people are looking forward to D. Va, Tracer, and Winston minifigs, am I alone in thinking that they brand might be better suited to buildable figures? Let us know what you think of the news and what you'd like to see in the Talkback!

View the full article

Well, I never would have guessed this. I think a lot of the characters would be more suited towards buildable characters, yeah. I'm not that familiar with the game, but I'm sure there's at least a few locations that would make good minifig scale sets. Maybe a payload set?

I'm only mildly aware of the game, but it looks like it has lots of neat characters. Building sets might be fun, but if this is the new direction of CCBS, that would be cool. (Frankly, Star Wars builds are starting to get bland. And they can't do any worse than Ben 10 or Super Heroes CCBS, right?)

:music:

What is just as interesting is the stuff not mentioned.  Activision made no mention of Skylanders.  They brought up Crash and Spyro but Skylanders looks to be joining Infinity and Dimensions.

"Honor those the dragons heed, in thought and favor, word and deed"

"Worlds are lost and worlds are saved, from those dangers dragons brave"

qs3174.jpg

Only played the game a handful of times, but the character designs are cool and original enough to where I would consider getting some. I could see some really interesting builds and new pieces showing up in these, so I hope it works out. Might even open the door for more video game-licensed sets in the future, something myself and a lot of others have wanted for a long time. :)