Poor Disadvantaged's 2018 Bio-Cup

Here are the four entries I made for the 2018 Bio-Cup on Flickr (before I was eliminated in an epic Semi-Finals).

Gotta say, the competition was much fiercer than last year;
Though I reckon I had it in me to go all the way, I'm quite content with my performance.

43036718541_d951384b69_c.jpg

(Preliminaries) 'Elements': Admiral Fahrenn

43315483231_06494a7024_c.jpg

(Round 1) 'Theme Fusion > Ninjago': Nindroid

41797476150_bd1cc25cd0_c.jpg

(Quarter Finals) 'Holidays > Up Helly Aa': MacGuizer the Piper

30072239018_2a919fec1c_c.jpg

(Semi Finals) 'The Future > Dystopia': Attack On Plague Mech

Edited by Poor Disadvantaged
  • Upvote 4

You did good. I feel like you had some of the most consistently impressive and aesthetically pleasing entries in the entire competition. If I'm being honest, I certainly preferred your entry over the one that stole your spot in the finals.

One recommendation I'd give you is probably that you step up your photography game. The photos you took are by no means bad; they were good enough to show off how well-made your MOCs are, but they could've been more clean and better lit overall. I know my photos aren't perfect either and I could stand to improve them as well, but having the best photographic presentation you can possibly achieve does wonders for the impression a MOC can give, so I'd say we should both aim to deliver even better photos.

I always thought you were a solid builder, but you really caught my attention with your Self-MOC and each and every one of your Bio-Cup entries, so I feel like I'm seeing sharp improvement in your ability in recent times. It's amazing how much someone can improve when they keep at it. I hope to see more of your entries next time the Bio-Cup comes around. Cheers!

• Upvote 1

You did ###### good. I feel like you had some of the most consistently impressive and aesthetically pleasing entries in the entire competition. If I'm being honest, I certainly preferred your entry over the one that stole your spot in the finals.

One recommendation I'd give you is probably that you step up your photography game. The photos you took are by no means bad; they were good enough to show off how well-made your MOCs are, but they could've been more clean and better lit overall. I know my photos aren't perfect either and I could stand to improve them as well, but having the best photographic presentation you can possibly achieve does wonders for the impression a MOC can give, so I'd say we should both aim to deliver even better photos.

I always thought you were a solid builder, but you really caught my attention with your Self-MOC and each and every one of your Bio-Cup entries, so I feel like I'm seeing sharp improvement in your ability in recent times. It's amazing how much someone can improve when they keep at it. I hope to see more of your entries next time the Bio-Cup comes around. Cheers!

Aye, cheers man!

The judges said initially they were split 50/50 between our entries - it was definitely close. 

His was one of the best MOC's I've seen from him, while I certainly could've cleaned up my entry some:

Biggest thing IMO is the 'Plague Mech' had some bits (arms, lower legs) that could've been finished much better.

Totally agree about the photography - less light, better backgrounds, considering setting up a lightbox.

In hindsight I definitely should've used black card instead of white for the last one's backdrop.

If I had time I would've manually edited it out, but I made it real hard on myself lul.

Yeah man, these competitions have been great for pushing me further and getting me to explore ideas I wouldn't have on my own.

Building really is something I enjoy now, I'll see if I can keep churning 'fancy doodz' out!