Official My Little Pony topic

~Allegretto~

Gak is a type of putty and there were a LOT of commercials about it before, during and after the premiere episodes. :P

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

I'm sad to say I'm not impressed with the opener. I feel the baddie was wasted mainly because he didn't really do anything. But maybe I was expecting too much due to what we got for Season 2's opener and finale. And there was no real... I don't know... hook? I wasn't really drawn into the story all that much. I still like MLP, but this just wasn't that great.Also, what was up with the book at the end with Celestia and Luna?Kalhiki

mrdark2.png

You're Doomed, Rayman!

Boy! I just love it when my computer doesn't tell me when my battery is getting low!

(that's sarcasm, by the way)

I agree that the songs, while good, seemed a little forced.Compared to Nightmare Moon, Discord, and Queen Chrysalis, I'd have to agree that Sombra was heavily underused. I could see him making a comeback, though, especially since his horn was shot off into the distance rather than destroyed. Maybe he'll return in the speculated MLP movie.Unlike the Season 2 finale, I like how this opener gave the other ponies more screentime. Particularly Fluttershy, my favorite pony. Jousting has never been so cute.I think one of the most gripping parts was the Door of Fear (my own fan name, pass it on). In a way, it helps shed a little more light on who King Sombra is, commanding that sort of power. And just the shock value of Celestia abandoning Twilight.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

I agree that the songs, while good, seemed a little forced.Compared to Nightmare Moon, Discord, and Queen Chrysalis, I'd have to agree that Sombra was heavily underused. I could see him making a comeback, though, especially since his horn was shot off into the distance rather than destroyed. Maybe he'll return in the speculated MLP movie.Unlike the Season 2 finale, I like how this opener gave the other ponies more screentime. Particularly Fluttershy, my favorite pony. Jousting has never been so cute.I think one of the most gripping parts was the Door of Fear (my own fan name, pass it on). In a way, it helps shed a little more light on who King Sombra is, commanding that sort of power. And just the shock value of Celestia abandoning Twilight.

That's the weird thing about King Sombra: he was characterized less by what he did within the episode than by what he had done prior to the episode. The traps he set established him as an excellent chessmaster (for instance, requiring his own dark magic to get to that door, but then booby-trapping it so that only normal magic could reveal the actual path). Coupled with the way he ruled over the crystal ponies, he reminds me a lot of Sauron: it seems he was once a more well-rounded character, who at the very least had his own ambitions, but by the time of the episode he has transcended that and become more of an embodiment of evil who only wants power for power's sake. He's certainly not as well-developed a character as Discord, but I don't know if that's a bad thing. In my opinion Discord took too much attention away from the mane six in his episodes, whereas this episode could focus more fully on Twilight and Spike.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

That's the weird thing about King Sombra: he was characterized less by what he did within the episode than by what he had done prior to the episode. The traps he set established him as an excellent chessmaster (for instance, requiring his own dark magic to get to that door, but then booby-trapping it so that only normal magic could reveal the actual path). Coupled with the way he ruled over the crystal ponies, he reminds me a lot of Sauron: it seems he was once a more well-rounded character, who at the very least had his own ambitions, but by the time of the episode he has transcended that and become more of an embodiment of evil who only wants power for power's sake. He's certainly not as well-developed a character as Discord, but I don't know if that's a bad thing. In my opinion Discord took too much attention away from the mane six in his episodes, whereas this episode could focus more fully on Twilight and Spike.

I don't agree at all. I think what I love most about the season 2 openers is that Discord didn't need any development, and that allowed the episodes to focus more on the six characters. Discord was a chaos God. He has fun making chaos at the expense of others. That's all we're given and I'm totally okay with that. So the episodes were spent progressing the story of the leads.This two partner didn't really do anything. Sombra was a crystal/cloud/thing, which is cool for the present, but what I want to know is how he fell from grace and became that way (even a 45 second opener like we got in 1.1 for Luna would have been nice). And the leads didn't change at all throughout the episode either (except RD, who was more annoying than usual). So we got a glimpse of Spike and Twilight's worst fears. So what? Aside from a 10 second aside where T. comforts Spike, it didn't mean anything for the rest of the episode.I do like the small indications that there's a greater plot coming later. That's great. I just wish this episode gave me some reason to care about what was going on. The whole 'if Crystal Kingdom falls Equestria falls' plot seemed liked a really contrived way to set the stakes. I was much more emotionally involved during 2.1-2.2 when the friendship of the main six was at stake.I guess they all can't be good episodes. At least Pinkie and AJ were still entertaining.

Edited by Vorahk1Panrahk2
BZPRPG

I'm going to have to rewatch it without GAK commercial breaks.
I rewatched the episodes last night, and considered watching them with the commercial breaks this time, since the first time I watched it I missed out on the Gaksplosion. But since it was already late, I decided it would be easier to buffer a 45 minute video than an hour-long video.

There isn't a lot of news, I guess?I dunno about you guys, but I'm preparing myself for tomorrow's Fourth wall annihilation.

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

Frankly, the kooky old librarian made the episode for me. Seriously, it's a lot of fun to hear a character give an exposition heavy rant, then suddenly go ADD for some funnel cake. :PI'll have to disagree with most of you about the lack of characterization King Sombra received. I think that our fandom tends to be overly focused on the villains, partially because the previous villains have received an exceptional amount of development (Discord, Chrysalis, etc.). When pictures of King Sombra got leaked, I think a lot of us expected him to be another Discord or another Chrysalis. However, this episode wasn't about Sombra; it was about Twilight's development as a student, with a steaming sidedish of world building. For better or worse, Sombra was never intended to have the same kind of presence as previous villains, so it feels a little silly to rant about what he wasn't. ^_^

Edited by Keizah the Kaleidoscope

steven-giantwoman-b.gif

[æzɚæθ mɛtriɔn zɪnθos]

Frankly, the kooky old librarian made the episode for me. Seriously, it's a lot of fun to hear a character give an exposition heavy rant, then suddenly go ADD for some funnel cake. :PI'll have to disagree with most of you about the lack of characterization King Sombra received. I think that our fandom tends to be overly focused on the villains, partially because the previous villains have received an exceptional amount of development (Discord, Chrysalis, etc.). When pictures of King Sombra got leaked, I think a lot of us expected him to be another Discord or another Chrysalis. However, this episode wasn't about Sombra; it was about Twilight's development as a student, with a steaming sidedish of world building. For better or worse, Sombra was never intended to have the same kind of presence as previous villains, so it feels a little silly to rant about what he wasn't. ^_^
I agree. I think there's room for more generically evil characters like Sombra in addition to buckets of personality like Discord. And I appreciate how much emphasis the episode placed on Twilight's relationships with both Celestia and Spike, and fear that a more developed Sombra would only have distracted from that.

I think that latest episode was okay, but far from the best.

My main gripe was that I had been hoping for the real Pinkie to take a more active role in getting rid of the fakes. The least she could've done was to somehow use her knowledge of how she would personally act to help round them all up. But instead Twilight Sparkle sorted everything out with her magic. I much prefer episodes where if one of the non-antagonist characters instigates a problem, they're responsible for fixing it (like in my favorite episode of last season, Ponyville Confidential). Still, there were some hilarious visual gags as is typical of a Pinkie Pie episode, and Fluttershy stole pretty much every scene she was in, so it wasn't all bad.

I think that latest episode was okay, but far from the best.

My main gripe was that I had been hoping for the real Pinkie to take a more active role in getting rid of the fakes. The least she could've done was to somehow use her knowledge of how she would personally act to help round them all up. But instead Twilight Sparkle sorted everything out with her magic. I much prefer episodes where if one of the non-antagonist characters instigates a problem, they're responsible for fixing it (like in my favorite episode of last season, Ponyville Confidential). Still, there were some hilarious visual gags as is typical of a Pinkie Pie episode, and Fluttershy stole pretty much every scene she was in, so it wasn't all bad.

On the other hand, Pinkie actually being passive rather than active was probably quite a challenge for her.Also Lyra jokes are probably going to spike pretty high after this.Also hahaha wow, pre-G4 references.I liked it.

OpAXNpl.jpg

It was a fun episode to me and it sure as hay made me feel better. ^^

I can't help but wonder if the paint drying scene was inspired by the fanfic "Pinkie Pie Watches Paint Dry". :P

f9Qcky7.png

Dat face.I didn't really like this episode. Is it just me, or have the past few episodes(going back to season 2 and not counting the wedding), not been all that good?
Definitely just you. Ponyville Confidential came directly before the wedding, and it was my favorite episode of the last season. And I thought the premiere last week was pretty good, too.

It was a fun episode to me and it sure as hay made me feel better. ^^

I can't help but wonder if the paint drying scene was inspired by the fanfic "Pinkie Pie Watches Paint Dry". :P

Probably not. While writers are certainly aware of fanon by this point, I'm fairly certain that they are prohibited from reading fan fiction for legal reasons, as is the case with most writers.It's almost laughable how often the argument "OMG brony reference!" is thrown about. Last season Rainbow Dash got a pet tortoise and broke her wing. Fluttershy dressed up as a tree. Princess Luna was awkward in social situations. Overall, most of these things are jokes that came naturally to the fans and writers alike. Fast character should have a REALLY SLOW PET. Athlete character getting an injury would be an interesting plotline. Didn't we make a joke about Fluttershy being a tree back in Season One? Luna's been away for a thousand years; let's have an episode in which she tries to adjust! I honestly don't see how "let's force the fun-loving character to do something infamously boring!" or "horses don't actually have hands, but think how silly it would be if they did!" are any less obvious to the writers than they are to the fans, especially since many of the writers are fans themselves.The sad thing is that I doubt these accusations will go away any time soon... but ah, well. It's a part of every fandom, I suppose.

Dat face.I didn't really like this episode. Is it just me, or have the past few episodes(going back to season 2 and not counting the wedding), not been all that good?
Definitely just you. Ponyville Confidential came directly before the wedding, and it was my favorite episode of the last season. And I thought the premiere last week was pretty good, too.
Oh yeah. I forgot about that episode. Loved it.What's everyone's least favorite episode?

So apparently having ADHD merits capital punishment in Equestria. Good to know. :confused:Jokes aside, I was a little disturbed by how Twilight simply zapped away the clones. While one can argue that they weren't true clones based on their single-minded pursuit of fun, inability to recall Pinkie's memories, and lack of consideration for the consequences of their actions, it still seems to me that it would qualify as taking a life. Yes, I know Twilight described her spell as "sending them back into the mirror", but visually it looked more like it was deconstructing them and dumping the raw magic used to create them back into the pool.

Edited by Keizah the Kaleidoscope

steven-giantwoman-b.gif

[æzɚæθ mɛtriɔn zɪnθos]

So apparently having ADHD merits capital punishment in Equestria. Good to know. :confused:Jokes aside, I was a little disturbed by how Twilight simply zapped away the clones. While one can argue that they weren't true clones based on their single-minded pursuit of fun, inability to recall Pinkie's memories, and lack of consideration for the consequences of their actions, it still seems to me that it would qualify as taking a life. Yes, I know Twilight described her spell as "sending them back into the mirror", but visually it looked more like it was deconstructing them and dumping the raw magic used to create them back into the pool.
Now imagine what it would have been like if the real one was sent away. Edited by Samhain

Divinator of Dreams.
4hcuu9.jpg
This Is Proud Stigma.

I love how all of Ponyville goes straight to Twilight to solve their problems.I like how, as I interpret it, it was left unsaid if the depressed Pinkie Pie (I nicknamed her Mopey Pie) was real or a duplicate. Very deep when you think about it. The whole thing reminds me of the Clone Army from Star Wars.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!