Could G3 be coming soon?

I'll be real with you lot, I'm a huge Bionicle fan (just like most of you here are) and I'm wondering, after reading a thread from 2016 asking somewhat the same thing, I'm looking for theories and or any information there might be regarding the return of Bionicle from 2020+ Lego has stated in a tweet about G2's cancelation that a return for Bionicle isn't going to be ruled out of the future. I wanna know your thoughts, is G3 possibly gonna happen within the next few years? While I'm willing to take everyone's opinions, I'm not looking forward to read negatie ones. 

If it does come back, I personally doubt it will be that soon. Lego waited 5 years to bring Bionicle back the first time, and I think they felt better about the prospects of a Bionicle reboot back then than they likely do now (due to the relative success of G2 vs. G1).

I think a Bionicle G3 won't come around until/unless constraction themes can prove successful again. Currently Star Wars Buildable Figures are the only constraction sets being released, and even with the Star Wars license attached to them, I get the impression that they don't sell particularly high numbers and might be winding down.

Edited by TuragaNuva
  • Upvote 2

sigbanner.gif

Hm.  I can't really say whether or not it will be coming... I would hope so though.  I never really got the chance to take part in the fandom while it was in its height.  I never really managed to connect with other fans either, and tbh I'm not really to step away just yet.  I'd like to see G3 to bring interest back into the fandom for that reason, but even if there's never a G3 that doesn't mean the fandom will die.  We can still keep Bionicle going through discussion, art, and writing, not to mention MOC's, even if I don't do a lot of that.

I agree with Turaga Nuva, though.  It all depends.  However, the fact that the soundtracks were released last year is revealing.  Lego hasn't forgotten about us, and that's significant, to me at least~

• Upvote 3

"a b c d e f g, Rahkshi are my enemy.

Some are black, some are blue.

That one's chewing on my shoe.

Now I'm running for my life,

One of the Rahkshi has a knife!"

~ My 8 year old sister

BZPRPG PROFILES

Tukeli [+Kiru]

CORPUS RAHKSHI

Sohnii

Ballom speaks the truth. Unfortunately, it makes very little business sense to relaunch a line which only just got revived in the last few years, and got cancelled due to disappointing sales numbers. 

However, the fact that the soundtracks were released last year is revealing.  Lego hasn't forgotten about us, and that's significant, to me at least~

I think it's worth noting that the soundtracks were released under Nathan Furst's name - I would imagine Lego had very little input in the decision to release them, besides giving Furst the permission to do so. 

• Upvote 1

Ballom speaks the truth. Unfortunately, it makes very little business sense to relaunch a line which only just got revived in the last few years, and got cancelled due to disappointing sales numbers. 

However, the fact that the soundtracks were released last year is revealing.  Lego hasn't forgotten about us, and that's significant, to me at least~

I think it's worth noting that the soundtracks were released under Nathan Furst's name - I would imagine Lego had very little input in the decision to release them, besides giving Furst the permission to doBu

But they did show they still care for releasing the soundtracks, I don't know how this types of business works, but I assume Lego did play a major role on the decision of finally releasing the official soundtracks, I think a "no" would've affected their release to the point where they simply wouldn't be released. I understand what you are saying though, I guess we could only hope this is a good sign that is hinting to something better (that being the themes return in the coming years).

Short answer: no.

Longer answer: noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

No offense, but boooooooooooooooooooooooooo!  :angrypahrakkal:

• Upvote 2

That's right, Lego could have easily said no, but they allowed it, and that's better than nothing c:

Even if there's never a Gen 3, though... Just because the canon ends doesn't mean the fandom has to end. Plenty of fandoms continue long after the series has ended, and as long as there is some interest in it, Bionicle can live on. It falls to us, the fans, to ensure that our fandom has a future.

• Upvote 4

"a b c d e f g, Rahkshi are my enemy.

Some are black, some are blue.

That one's chewing on my shoe.

Now I'm running for my life,

One of the Rahkshi has a knife!"

~ My 8 year old sister

BZPRPG PROFILES

Tukeli [+Kiru]

CORPUS RAHKSHI

Sohnii

I’ve seen it suggested that if constraction never picks up in sales again, they might make G3 a System line with Minifigs, like the playsets.

...but why? Bionicle’s charm was that it was buildable action figures. Characters of all shapes and sizes. (On that note, I feel like CCBS limited shape and size somewhat.)

• Upvote 3

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

Lego confirmed on Twitter that Bionicle was doing about average when it G2 was pulled. This is exactly what they did with G1: they pulled it from shelves before the brand was unsalvageable. On top of this, it's clear why G2 failed where G1 succeeded: poor marketing and mediocre associated media. Lego would be fools not to give it another shot in a few years' time; but it needs a good while to bake, I should think, before they make any sort of big push.

• Upvote 4

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"

I think it's worth noting that the soundtracks were released under Nathan Furst's name - I would imagine Lego had very little input in the decision to release them, besides giving Furst the permission to doBu

But they did show they still care for releasing the soundtracks, I don't know how this types of business works, but I assume Lego did play a major role on the decision of finally releasing the official soundtracks, I think a "no" would've affected their release to the point where they simply wouldn't be released. I understand what you are saying though, I guess we could only hope this is a good sign that is hinting to something better (that being the themes return in the coming years).

I'm pretty sure it doesn't work like that. Nathan Furst owns the copyright to all his music (through his record label, Rising Phoenix Records), so I don't think Lego actually has a say in whether he sells it or not.

• Upvote 1

sigbanner.gif

I'm pretty sure it doesn't work like that. Nathan Furst owns the copyright to all his music (through his record label, Rising Phoenix Records), so I don't think Lego actually has a say in whether he sells it or not.

This. I'd imagine Furst had to get Lego's permission to use the Bionicle name and logo on the releases, but other than that I don't think Lego will have had much input on the whole thing. (It's perhaps worth noting that on the album artwork for the soundtrack releases, there's no trace of Lego's logo anywhere.)

• Upvote 1

I’ve seen it suggested that if constraction never picks up in sales again, they might make G3 a System line with Minifigs, like the playsets.

...but why? Bionicle’s charm was that it was buildable action figures. Characters of all shapes and sizes. (On that note, I feel like CCBS limited shape and size somewhat.)

Honestly, chief? While I'm gonna have to agree with everything that you said and I would highly dislike to see great sets being reduced to minifigures, the thing is, if we are to get: video games, movies on the Bionicle and brand new succesful lore I wouldn't mind, so long as the portrayal of the characters wasn't faithful to the toy line in terms of them looking like actual Lego minifigures. while I understand the concept's charm, I would never wish for Bionicle to change so much, either way.

A return for Bionicle is possible. If Bionicle returns, they'll need to do a lot less "preaching to the converted". We're going to be interested in a G3 no matter what. They should target kids who don't know what it is. That was a mistake in G2. 

• Upvote 1

:) Try my Shadows of Artakha fanfiction!  :)

A return for Bionicle is possible. If Bionicle returns, they'll need to do a lot less "preaching to the converted". We're going to be interested in a G3 no matter what. They should target kids who don't know what it is. That was a mistake in G2.

How were they not targeting new kids? How were they “preaching to the converted?” The little references, like the Vahi cameos? Those were just little bits of fanservice thrown in because they knew we were watching. They neither add to nor detract from the experience if new fans.

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese

This topic pops up every now and then and always gets the same kind of responses, so I'll chip in my 2 cents that I have been every time it came up.

Ever since Lego confirmed that G2 wasn't doing bad, it simply wasn't doing good enough, it has become certain that Bionicle is coming back. Lego has insanely high standards for their IP, so turning a profit isn't enough - they need a lot of profit. So if they wanted to kill off Bionicle for good, they wouldn't cancel it a year early, they'd let it run its 3 year course and have the theme go out with a whimper in 2017 never to be heard of again.

They pulled the plug in 2016 precisely to save Bionicle, to pull it out of the battlefield when its wounds were not yet fatal. Bionicle wasn't killed in 2016 - it just went back to the drawing board. The problems have been discussed myriad times - poor marketing, poor associated media. If we know this, you can bet Lego does too, meaning they also know that executed well Bionicle can be a powerful IP in the toy industry again. 

How long will G3 be planned, how long will the IP nurse its wounds? Your guess it as good as mine. It certainly won't be back soon, but it certainly will be back. 

:kakama: 

• Upvote 3

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

It certainly won't be back soon, but it certainly will be back.

I wouldn’t go as far as “certainly.” There’s no 100% guarantee it’ll come back. I think of it more as LEGO acknowledges its potential, and wants it to remain a future option (not inevitably).

Who knows? It could be in the back of their minds right now, or it could be the furthest thing from their minds. But it’s definitely not a priority, and it will definitely not be back any time soon. Give it at least until 2020 to start speculating.

• Upvote 3

• 2 months later...

Honestly, I would just like them to rerelease the old G1 products maybe as an online product online so the fans that really wanted to could but them. That way they also wont have to ship it to other companies as well. Alas this is unlikely and I believe they would jsut make a g3 in 2020 or beyond as we can only hope 

• Upvote 3

Well, I could say this:

I look at Bionicle as equivalent to DC Comics’ Batman movies and Marvel’s Spider-Man movies in terms of popularity and determining to be successful, so I think most likely that Lego would give Bionicle a G3. Plus, Lego should re-continue G1 and G2 to get things over with. Plus, remasters of the past sets would be nice. I would say that G3 could happen in either 2020 (well, The Lego Movie did have a cameo with the Toa Mata in 2014 before G2 happened in 2015, so I hope that The Lego Movie 2 in this year would have that kind of cameo again) or 2021 to celebrate Bionicle’s 20th anniversary. Bionicle saved Lego from bankruptcy in 2001 for Pete’s sake, and I don’t lose faith in Bionicle because of these reasons, so yeah, Lego should do a G3. It’s forgivable, and I’ll bet that if it does, Lego would do a cinematic for the original-story constraction themes, Bionicle, Hero Factory, and perhaps RoboRiders and Slizers/Throwbots and more, to bring upon a renaissance for the constraction category since it disappeared this year (it’s like Thanos from Avengers: Infinity War in this year made it disappear).

Let’s pray, y’all.

• Upvote 2

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

If the comments about G2 just selling average are true then it pushes my attitude toward Gen 3 from a "hard no" to "well I guess it's possible". However with the hiatus of constraction it wouldn't make sense for Lego to try bionicle again unless the constraction market picks up. That or they try to revive constraction with another attempt at bionicle. If G3 has been in development since 2016 then that would mean it's been in development for 3 years. I know Lego friends was in development for 4 years and that is the longest time for a Lego theme to hit the market to my knowledge. so if that is happening then we should expect a 2020 release date. However that is a big "if". 

It's time to move on.

If Bionicle is brought back Lego needs to do at least three things:
1) Have the story be thought out in advance, at least have an outline something to guide the creative process and not just make it all up as they go.
2) Have a mobile game, seems like every IP nowadays has some type of mobile game tie-in, perhaps the mobile game can be the primary narrative source.
3) In keeping with this line of thought, the toys should come with codes that unlock unique advantages for the players, and maybe even have some type of AR component, like scanning a figure with your phone to unlock the character in the game.

• Upvote 2

In keeping with this line of thought, the toys should come with codes that unlock unique advantages for the players, and maybe even have some type of AR component, like scanning a figure with your phone to unlock the character in the game.

It’s kind of sad that every toy nowadays has to connect to a mobile phone in some way in order to sell. Why can’t a toy just be a toy?

• Upvote 1

Wish I knew, but alas that's the demographic of today's kids they have iPhones and anything that doesn't interact with it isn't of interest. That's partly why Toys R' Us went out of business, that an increasingly poorer quality toys. I remember the Transformers toys from the late '90s and the early 2000s, before the Michael Bay films came out, Hasbro is only now starting with the Prime Trilogy lines, Combiners, Titans, and Power of the Primes line up getting back to the level of detail and yet simplistic transforming sequence that those earlier toys had, though there are some quality issues to be fixed still.

In keeping with this line of thought, the toys should come with codes that unlock unique advantages for the players, and maybe even have some type of AR component, like scanning a figure with your phone to unlock the character in the game.

It’s kind of sad that every toy nowadays has to connect to a mobile phone in some way in order to sell. Why can’t a toy just be a toy?

A couple things to note. First of all, "just got revived in the last few years" may be true now, but in, say, 2021? By then it will have been a good five years since Bionicle G2's cancellation.

Second, everyone from LEGO I've heard from about Bionicle G2's cancellation asserts that it wasn't related to poor sales. If anything it seems to have had more to do with its marketing costs, particularly considering that it coincided with a lot of internal changes that came about as the LEGO Group's previous 10 years of consistent sales growth came to an end. Many LEGO Friends, LEGO Ninjago, and LEGO Nexo Knights books and book series started being cancelled, released in fewer numbers, or released in more limited markets around the same time as the Bionicle ones.

Overall, I think LEGO wouldn't be opposed to bringing Bionicle back when and if the time seems right for it.

It's strange of you to say that, considering Bionicle pioneered a lot of that sort of digital integration (albeit in a much more low-tech way) with stuff like the mask codes in 2001, mini-CDs packaged with sets from 2001 to 2003, and the Kanoka Club/B.I.O. codes from 2004 onward. You can draw a pretty clear line of progression from those sorts of codes (along with similar printed codes in Exo-Force and Hero Factory sets) to stuff like the Ultra Agents theme's "App Bricks" and the Nexo Knights theme's scannable Nexo Powers.

Ultimately, the main reason stuff has shifted from computer integration to mobile device integration is that a lot of families these days have more access to mobile devices, and also it makes it easier to take advantage of newer technological innovations like camera-based or touch-based scanning rather than inputting codes manually using a keyboard. If smartphones and tablets had been as widespread during Bionicle G1 as they are now, I guarantee you a lot of Bionicle's digital media and the ways of integrating it with the actual products would have been optimized for mobile devices.

• Upvote 3

It's strange of you to say that, considering Bionicle pioneered a lot of that sort of digital integration (albeit in a much more low-tech way) with stuff like the mask codes in 2001, mini-CDs packaged with sets from 2001 to 2003, and the Kanoka Club/B.I.O. codes from 2004 onward. You can draw a pretty clear line of progression from those sorts of codes (along with similar printed codes in Exo-Force and Hero Factory sets) to stuff like the Ultra Agents theme's "App Bricks" and the Nexo Knights theme's scannable Nexo Powers.

Ultimately, the main reason stuff has shifted from computer integration to mobile device integration is that a lot of families these days have more access to mobile devices, and also it makes it easier to take advantage of newer technological innovations like camera-based or touch-based scanning rather than inputting codes manually using a keyboard. If smartphones and tablets had been as widespread during Bionicle G1 as they are now, I guarantee you a lot of Bionicle's digital media and the ways of integrating it with the actual products would have been optimized for mobile devices.

That’s not really the point. I’m saying that the main motivation for buying the toy has become the digital reward rather than the toy itself. A good example of this would be amiibo and Skylanders.

And I can almost guarantee you that nobody was buying Bohrok-Kal for just the mini CDs or Vahki for just the Kanoka Club codes.

Edit: There’s also that fact that G1’s multimedia integration was largely groundbreaking for a toy line. G2? Not so much.

That’s not really the point. I’m saying that the main motivation for buying the toy has become the digital reward rather than the toy itself. A good example of this would be amiibo and Skylanders.

And I can almost guarantee you that nobody was buying Bohrok-Kal for just the mini CDs or Vahki for just the Kanoka Club codes.

Edit: There’s also that fact that G1’s multimedia integration was largely groundbreaking for a toy line. G2? Not so much.

Two things:

1. I would love a Bionicle line where you scan Bionicle characters to play as them in a video game, like Lego Dimensions (Well, Bionicle should have been featured in there before Lego Dimensions got cancelled, anyway).

2. Back in the day, in the 00s, we only had books, comics two Mata Nui Online Games, story serials (two are unfinished as the story is unfinished), and direct-to-video movies. They are all there, but that’s because Lego never was able to make real TV shows or theatrical movies. Not like now, and some people may only focus on one of the media to try to follow the story because it’s complicated. Not like Ninjago, but Ninjago is like Bionicle in a lot of ways, as in it is the Bionicle of this decade. If Bionicle would become like Ninjago, things would be different and better (could be better theatrical movies and/or a real TV show that is not exclusive in Netflix).

• Upvote 1

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Amiibo and Skylanders are rather different than mainstream toys in that they're basically sold as video game accessories/peripherals. In fact, when LEGO Dimensions was a thing, most stores sold them in the video game department rather than the toy department. Even today they are pretty much outliers compared to most toys, where any digital integration gimmicks are marketed as a bonus rather than as the toy's primary function.

And naturally, G2 didn't do anything nearly that groundbreaking as far as digital or multimedia integration goes. I'm not sure what that has to do with anything?

Edited by Aanchir

It is very difficult. The problem is that BIONICLE is not a pop culture phenomenon anymore (if it ever was) . There could be two options about it. D2C sets for super fans or regular sets for everyone. The first idea is likely to be a bad one, because of what I said before, but the second one is quite hard to implement too. BIONICLE was based on a lot of characters and to recreate that you would need various sets. However, to make them affordable for everyone they would need to be cheaper than G2, whose price was ok for me, but it was an important price, compared to the beginning of G2. Moreover, I think a question would be: would a signifcant portion of the current kids prefer BIONICLE over a video game or online media? I am afraid not.

EDIT: typing mistake.

Edited by Kaxix

:b: :i: :m_o: :n: :i: :c: :l: :e:

Just integrate it with some interactive media on a deeper level than those G2 mobile games. While it's true that physical toys are struggling globally it is still a colossal industry and all Lego needs to do in order to ensure that a hypothetical G3 becomes more popular than G2 was is to not botch the marketing this time around like they did with G2. 

• Upvote 1

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

It is very difficult. The problem is that BIONICLE is not a pop culture phenomenon anymore (if it ever was) . There could be two options about it. D2C sets for super fans or regular sets for everyone. The first idea is likely to be a bad one, because of what I said before, but the second one is quite hard to implement too. BIONICLE was based on a lot of characters and to recreate that you would need various sets. However, to make them affordable for everyone they would need to be cheaper than G2, whose price was ok for me, but it was an important price, compared to the beginning of G2. Moreover, I think a question would be: would a signifcant portion of the current kids prefer BIONICLE other a video game or online media? I am afraid not.

Just integrate it with some interactive media on a deeper level than those G2 mobile games. While it's true that physical toys are struggling globally it is still a colossal industry and all Lego needs to do in order to ensure that a hypothetical G3 becomes more popular than G2 was is to not botch the marketing this time around like they did with G2. 

A good solution to both of your points would be a Netflix animated series, with quality storytelling not the subpar G2 stuff, or a Movie series maybe MCU style with different solo films featuring the adventures of the Toa when they aren't together, especially if they can tie it into The LEGO Movie Universe, which as of now consists of The LEGO Movie, The LEGO Batman Movie, and The LEGO Movie 2. It bears mentioning that the first LEGO movie featured cameos of some of the G1 Toa Mata, so it could be done, it also bears mentioning that the LEGO Movie and The LEGO Batman Movie both proved highly popular (and profitable) and The LEGO Movie 2 is excepted to meet or exceed the box office records of the first film.  

It is very difficult. The problem is that BIONICLE is not a pop culture phenomenon anymore (if it ever was) . There could be two options about it. D2C sets for super fans or regular sets for everyone. The first idea is likely to be a bad one, because of what I said before, but the second one is quite hard to implement too. BIONICLE was based on a lot of characters and to recreate that you would need various sets. However, to make them affordable for everyone they would need to be cheaper than G2, whose price was ok for me, but it was an important price, compared to the beginning of G2. Moreover, I think a question would be: would a signifcant portion of the current kids prefer BIONICLE other a video game or online media? I am afraid not.

or a Movie series maybe MCU style with different solo films featuring the adventures of the Toa when they aren't together

Not really a good direction for a unified universe. Bionicle's story pivots on the concept of unity. Having the Toa alone on a regular basis isn't the kind of thing it can get away with too often because it would have to repeatedly come down to a lack of unity. A cinematic universe is better handled with more differentiated spinoffs. If the Piraka exist in G3, it might be fun to have a movie revolving around them being uncoordinated degenerates who have to figure out how to do a thing, kinda like what Suicide Squad shoulda been.

In broader strokes, a series of trilogies might be a better approach. As an example: one for the "mythic age," which is a bit like G1; one for the "future age," which is like Metru Nui; and one for the "fallen age," which is like Bara Magna. This approach gives a sense of a vast, unified timeline in a living world with a story that almost feels like some sort of mythological canon, sorta like something Tolkien would write. And then you can have different installments in-between or at the same time as different sagas to flesh out the world a little more beyond the escapades of the different Toa teams that come and go.

So does everyone pretty much agree that G2 wasn’t groundbreaking, nor did it have any impact on anything?

As for comparing BIONICLE to Tolkien’s legendarium, a lot of people will tell you that was G1’s problem: it was too vast. I, for one, have always loved the vastness, but I’m an adult now, and I was never exactly a typical kid, so maybe a really immersive story isn’t the best approach for mainstream children’s entertainment, at least not anymore. Then again, G2’s story wasn’t deep at all.

(Tolkien’s legendarium was also never really completed/finalized, so there are multiple published versions of certain stories, often with contradicting details. So maybe it’s not the most flattering comparison, after all.)

So does everyone pretty much agree that G2 wasn’t groundbreaking, nor did it have any impact on anything?

It had some cool ideas, but let's just say it really shows that it's Danish, not Polish'ed.

...I'm here all week, folks.

As for comparing BIONICLE to Tolkien’s legendarium, a lot of people will tell you that was G1’s problem: it was too vast. I, for one, have always loved the vastness, but I’m an adult now, and I was never exactly a typical kid, so maybe a really immersive story isn’t the best approach for mainstream children’s entertainment, at least not anymore. Then again, G2’s story wasn’t deep at all.

(Tolkien’s legendarium was also never really completed/finalized, so there are multiple published versions of certain stories, often with contradicting details. So maybe it’s not the most flattering comparison, after all.)

Thing is, because of the emphasis Bionicle put on storytelling, it would make sense for it to feel like mythology in some ways. And kids still like LotR and Da Hebbit, despite the broad scope of Tolkienic fiction and the fact that the Hobbit movies aren't, uh...good. I just think it would let the series last longer without having to be as janky and convoluted as G1; it regularly gets a fresh start until its job is done. We can easily get another 9-year run like that, if not a little more.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...