BIONICLE Gen 1 Realism

PatrickJoergensen

Anybody here who wants something to entertain them for the next 30-40 minutes or so, is welcome to check out the links below :D

If you want to see my work more often than I post videos on YT, you might want to consider finding me on Instagram :b

Best regards, Patrick :D

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/dane_with_no_name/

BIONICLE Realism #1 - #6

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYlPk8VEw7v2oC6UQt9foAdogp7HAsMG3

• Upvote 6

Very nice composition and crisp images -- good use of lighting and nature motifs. I particularly like the recreations of old promo images, like Kopaka meeting Pohatu, and I'm impressed by how dynamic you made Lewa's tree-swinging pose look. Great work! :)

Thank you very much Katuko :D

Of course some photos are getting quite old (2005ish when I first started taking photos of my figures) so my 'skills' have improved over the years :b

I try not to take photos that would need photoshop or anything like that, though I usually play a little with contrast, light and color density to get the right feel across :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think my favourite has to be the one of Tahu Nuva sitting by the fire; it's just such a cool, aestheticy piece... but I really, really like each of the Bohrok and Kal ones, too. I have no idea how you got the heads at angles like that - either for them or the Toa - but it really brings the characters to life in the way that the 'always-forward-facing' default build often fails to achieve. Though the same could be said for the posing in general; you really convey a sense of such LIFE with them, and I love it :D

Really nice work picking the environments for each of them, too; each one makes the characters look so perfectly, believably in their element. Without exaggeration, I think I can genuinely say this is some of the best Bionicle photography I've seen.

Edited by Darth Jaller
  • Upvote 1

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

I think my favourite has to be the one of Tahu Nuva sitting by the fire; it's just such a cool, aestheticy piece... but I really, really like each of the Bohrok and Kal ones, too. I have no idea how you got the heads at angles like that - either for them or the Toa - but it really brings the characters to life in the way that the 'always-forward-facing' default build often fails to achieve. Though the same could be said for the posing in general; you really convey a sense of such LIFE with them, and I love it :D

Really nice work picking the environments for each of them, too; each one makes the characters look so perfectly, believably in their element. Without exaggeration, I think I can genuinely say this is some of the best Bionicle photography I've seen.

I use a simple piece of 3-axle length rubber tubing (like the one used in the Boxor set for instance, just cut to lenght) for the Toa Mata/Nuva and matoran :D

As for the bohrok, I've removed the to long gears, and swapped them with ball socket and the ball joint from the Glatorian lines (if you know which piece I'm thinking of) to get the movement :b

I am very happy to know it's not just me that can find some childish nostalgia in this little hobby! :b

As for the environments I've used everything from small clumps of dried dirt on a plank of wood, sprinkled with powdered sugar to recreate a snowy landscape, to real locations near my home - but since Denmark is pretty flat, and the part I live in is almost at sea-level across the entirety of it's area, mountains and such haven't really been an option :b

I refuse to use photoshop to edit the backgrounds I get; though lighting, contrast and such is fair game IMO :)

That's why many of the photos have a more realistic feel, while some others have more of a commercial-kind-of-feel to them :D Especially the one of Lewa swinging, compared to the Kohrak Kal one :D

• Upvote 2

I use a simple piece of 3-axle length rubber tubing (like the one used in the Boxor set for instance, just cut to lenght) for the Toa Mata/Nuva and matoran :D

As for the bohrok, I've removed the to long gears, and swapped them with ball socket and the ball joint from the Glatorian lines (if you know which piece I'm thinking of) to get the movement :b

Oh, that's really cool! So simple to implement, yet gives such a great effect :D

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

Oh, that's really cool! So simple to implement, yet gives such a great effect :D

Yeah it's pretty simple, but quite effective :D