Bionicle Guide Collection

Toatapio Nuva

A lot of Bionicle media has become available online recently, but I noticed that the guide books have been conspicuously absent in this regard. That's why I decided to start creating digital copies of some of them. The goal is not only to provide PDF's of the guide books to preserve them, but also to convert the text of each of them into word documents. This text might even be used someday to compile an ultimate Bionicle guide of sorts, who knows.

I can't do all of this myself though, since it takes a lot of time, and I don't own all of the guides. If you have any of the missing guide books or are interested in helping with the scanning or transcription process, it would be greatly appreciated!

The Official Guide to Bionicle (2003)
PDF
Word

Unmasked (2003)
Book missing

Metru Nui - City of Legends (2004)
PDF
Word

Unmasked 2 (2004)
Book missing

Rahi Beasts (2005)
PDF

Word

Encyclopedia (2005)
Book missing

Dark Hunters (2006)

PDF

(Word version in process of being transcripted)

Encyclopedia Updated (2007)
PDF
(Word version in process of being transcripted)

World (2007)
PDF

Makuta's Guide to the Universe (2008)
PDF
Word

Mata Nui's Guide to Bara Magna (2009)
(PDF under construction)

The Legend Reborn Official Movie Guide (2009)
PDF

Style Guides & behind-the-scenes material
Bionicle Style Guide 2003
Bionicle Synopsis 2003
Excerpts from the Bionicle Manual of Style 2004
Bionicle section in Brick by Brick (incomplete)

Edited by Toatapio Nuva
  • Upvote 8

This is great. I've been waiting for someone to digitalize the Rahi Beasts guide for ages.

The first edition of the Encyclopedia is no great loss, I'd say. True, it might be interesting to compare it with its successor, but basically all the information of the first edition is in the Encylopedia Updated.

I have all the guides you are missing. I really don't have the time to transcribe them, though, at least not in the near future. Eventually, I suppose I could get around to it, if someone else doesn't do it first.

632461607_Bannerdefinitivopiccolo.png.8e4bc632ba965c6eaef9247ce71df1d7.png
My collection of epics: The Sanctum of Writing

been working on a story update for biomedia and part of that is adding the books - i think ive sourced most of these from them same places you have, but i also seem to have found dark hunters somewhere. enjoy!

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

If you want to be really thorough, there’s also those two “Unmasked” books for the first two movies as well as The Legend Reborn Guide (for which scans have recently been shared). Plus the Style Guide.

Good idea, I've uploaded the TLR guide and the available style guides. As for the Unmasked books, I unfortunately don't have them, but hopefully someone will be able to provide scans of those.

This is great. I've been waiting for someone to digitalize the Rahi Beasts guide for ages.

The first edition of the Encyclopedia is no great loss, I'd say. True, it might be interesting to compare it with its successor, but basically all the information of the first edition is in the Encylopedia Updated.

I have all the guides you are missing. I really don't have the time to transcribe them, though, at least not in the near future. Eventually, I suppose I could get around to it, if someone else doesn't do it first.

You could just take pictures of the book pages and share those, and others could then aid with the transcription. Having the pages themselves is the important first step - transcription itself takes a lot of time.

been working on a story update for biomedia and part of that is adding the books - i think ive sourced most of these from them same places you have, but i also seem to have found dark hunters somewhere. enjoy!

That is fantastic, thank you for sharing! I'll add it to the list.

Edited by Toatapio Nuva

You're doing Mata Nui's work as always, Toatapio.

Down the line, if anyone has copies of the more obscure region-exclusive books like those found on this page, that would be really appreciated. I'm particularly curious about the AMEET books.

• Upvote 2

You're doing Mata Nui's work as always, Toatapio.

Down the line, if anyone has copies of the more obscure region-exclusive books like those found on this page, that would be really appreciated. I'm particularly curious about the AMEET books.

As a matter of fact, although I’m American, I have several of the 2006 UK-exclusive guides thanks to connections. I’m reluctant to try and scan them, though, because I imagine it would damage the binding.

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

As a matter of fact, although I’m American, I have several of the 2006 UK-exclusive guides thanks to connections. I’m reluctant to try and scan them, though, because I imagine it would damage the binding.

even if scans aren't possible, i think people would appreciate photos!

• Upvote 1

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

Checking the Official Guide right now. I love how the Matoran Messages are just teasing about the Seventh Toa's hiding place.

Those messages were actually clues for the Search for the Seventh sweepstakes, which was the contest for winning the platinum Avohkii. Fans were supposed to guess the seventh Toa's location from the locations labeled on the map of Mata Nui in the front of the book.

• Upvote 1

Those messages were actually clues for the Search for the Seventh sweepstakes, which was the contest for winning the platinum Avohkii. Fans were supposed to guess the seventh Toa's location from the locations labeled on the map of Mata Nui in the front of the book.

Okay, that's interesting. It's still amusing, though. I imagine some kid reading the book and somehow not knowing about the sweepstakes cracking his brain to translate all that and just getting "The Seventh Toa does not like the Lava Falls". Is that foreshadowing of some sort about the place Takua found the Avohkii at?

I'm Vrokdann in Skyrise: Ascent, and Luntep in the BZPRPG.

[sigfig in tunnel]

My profile pic's a cool little thing I made called Bettani. That thing up there's just a me inside a tunnel.

Checking the Official Guide right now. I love how the Matoran Messages are just teasing about the Seventh Toa's hiding place.

I was going to enter that contest, but I never got around to it. What was the answer? I want to know how it holds up compared to the actual story.

Kini-Nui, I believe.

I guess that’s about as close to the truth as possible.

In hindsight, it’s also really obvious. Center of the island, place important to its people, has already been the used as a setting to the action multiple times...

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Excellent work! I'd love to see the Unmasked books at some point, as they have some exclusive behind-the-scenes interviews.

-L- to the -K-

Sometimes, I look at my desk, and think, "What am I doing with my life?"

Then, I go back to my videogames.

I used to be known as 'Gresh's Thornax...Ouchy!!!', before I realised what a silly name it was.

Other previous names include Lihkan435 and Chip Biscuit.

• 2 weeks later...

My scans of Mata Nui's Guide to Bara Magna are available here. They're not the best quality, but I'll scan the whole thing at a higher DPI and make a nice PDF soon.

That is awesome, thank you! When you've made the PDF, I'll add it to the list.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you very much for compiling these! I do have a question about the Rahi Beasts PDF, though. It seems like part of the words throughout the guide have disappeared. Is this an error on my end, the book's, or during scanning?

The Rahi Beasts PDF is actually the version hosted on Biomedia project, so I had no part in making it. Could you mention the pages that have this problem though? What device are you using to view the PDF?

What's the story behind the Synopsis book? I have never heard of it prior to this topic.

I only know that it was shared by a person who used to work at Lego as an intern or something like that. Apparently the synopsis was shared with people along with the style guide, and served as a sort of introduction to the story for potential business partners of Lego, like companies that were interested in cooperating with them. I don't know for certain though.

Thank you very much for compiling these! I do have a question about the Rahi Beasts PDF, though. It seems like part of the words throughout the guide have disappeared. Is this an error on my end, the book's, or during scanning?

The Rahi Beasts PDF is actually the version hosted on Biomedia project, so I had no part in making it. Could you mention the pages that have this problem though? What device are you using to view the PDF?

Most pages actually have a couple letters missing. The greatest amount of missing material, though, seems to be in the Rahaga's introduction to each Metru.

I'm viewing the pdf on a Kindle Fire.

I'm sorry to bother you, if I had paid better attention, I would have taken it up on the BMP forum.

:smilematoro:

Most pages actually have a couple letters missing. The greatest amount of missing material, though, seems to be in the Rahaga's introduction to each Metru.

I'm sorry to bother you, if I had paid better attention, I would have taken it up on the BMP forum.

I've been looking at the PDF and I can't tell what you're talking about. My guess is that this is a "your end" problem.

I've been looking at the PDF and I can't tell what you're talking about. My guess is that this is a "your end" problem.

Ah. Well, thank you. I'll try pulling it up on another device.

:smilematoro:

• 1 year later...
On 1/15/2019 at 2:08 PM, Toatapio Nuva said:

Good idea, I've uploaded the TLR guide and the available style guides. As for the Unmasked books, I unfortunately don't have them, but hopefully someone will be able to provide scans of those.

You could just take pictures of the book pages and share those, and others could then aid with the transcription. Having the pages themselves is the important first step - transcription itself takes a lot of time.

That is fantastic, thank you for sharing! I'll add it to the list.

The link for Dark Hunters no longer works. Is it possible to find a functioning link? If so, where?

Edited by thatguy

5 hours ago, thatguy said:

The link for Dark Hunters no longer works. Is it possible to find a functioning link? If so, where?

we've got most of the guides on bmp! https://biomediaproject.com/bmp/story/books/guides/

• 4 weeks later...