Skyrise: Ascent - OOC Topic

Nato G

Yeah... Tesara is kind of tricky right now. Despite being the largest concentration of players, there's not a whole lot of interactions going. You might just need to start something up.

Alright. First time actually making a bio, so I wanna apologize in advance if this ends up being trash, but..eh. Nothing ventured.

Name: Kodran (Self appointed nickname "Blood Forge.")
Species: Glatorian
Gear: Kodran carries a number of objects with him, such as a mallet, as well as a small  twin pronged staff capable of producing an electrical current. Not enough to do any major damage, but enough to fix any electrical issues, or stun any harassers. He also has a Thornax Launcher tucked away in his shop in case of burglaries, or unwanted guests.
Personal Aircraft: Daedalus
Allegiance/Role: Atero/Mechanic
Appearance: Wearing the gear of of a Fire Tribe Glatorian, with scratches and marks littering parts of his armor. Alongside his hip rests a toolbelt, with pouches holding just about anything he could need for his job.
Personality: Kodran tends to be a rather laid back individual, content to simply do his job and shoot the breeze. He holds customer privacy in high regard, keeping details about his other customers as private as possible. Tends to get excited when fixing things or learning about technology, he will sometimes have fits of wanting to tear something apart and put it back together again to see how it ticks. Caution is advised when he is in this state of mind.
Bio: Kodran had been nothing special before the calamity that had struck Spherus Magna. A warrior of no great renown. It was an alright life, fighting in the arena, yet nothing that truly sparked an interest in his life. Between fights, he would occasionally be found tinkering with scrap metal, or trying to fix something up. As the settlements were created and arena fights were less frequent, Kodran found himself turning his hobby into an actual career.. Over time, he eventually managed to get his own shop set up. Here he stays, tinkering away. But every now and then, the urge to travel strikes him. To find some excitement in his life...Or more tech to dissect. Ooo, he was getting giddy just thinking about it!

Aircraft:

Name: Daedalus
Model: Rockoh
Weaponry: Twin Zamor Launchers that fires electically charged Zamors as a primary weapon.
Customisation: Magnetically sealed compartment behind the seat, perfect for storing tools and materials if need be.
Appearance: A standard Rockoh, Kodran's only real changes to the design were to give it a blue paintjob....and flame decals, solely because he heard some Matorans mention that 'Flames make a vehicle go a lot faster and hit a lot harder.' Mata Nui forbid he actually do some research into this.

Edited by CobaltGale

This looks fine. The only thing I'd like to clarify is the actual functionality of an 'energy field launcher'. What happens if something gets hit by that? 

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Coming 2024 

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

I was pulling from Biosector, so I do apologize in advance for my...inability to word? Lol. It says that it can 'trap targets in a field of energy.' I assume it's like...some kind of energy net. Or EMP or something, that shuts down vehicles...I could very well be wrong.

Edited by CobaltGale

That's a bit nebulous. I'd ask that you either come up with a specific description and limitations, or pick a weapon with better-defined functionality. 

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Yeah, that'd be fine. 

On mobile at work ATM, so can't link your profile to front page or get fancy with formatting right now, but Kodran and the Daedalus are approved.

Character:

Name: Oko

Species: Av-Matoran (Ta-Matoran publicly)

Powers: Has been trained to use his Av-Matoran abilities to change the colouration of his armour. Can also channel small amounts of light energy through his hands or tools.

Gear: An old blade with a rahi bone grip, and numerous small engraved notches in the flat of the blade. Three kanoka disks; a level 5 onu-metru weakening, a level 7 remove poison, and a level 4 regeneration. A set of proto-chitin armor from his past he keeps at home as a keepsake. A few parchment journals he uses to write memoirs and draw interesting things he encounters. A coal pen he uses to write and draw.

Personal Aircraft: Virtuous Veil

Allegiance/Role: New Atero, does various part-time jobs to keep himself afloat, such as working at a soup kitchen in the noon.

Appearance: Though his natural colours are gold and white, Oko prefers the colours he had during his time as a Ta-Matoran after the Time Slip. These are a red primary colour, an azure secondary, along with his naturally cyan eyes.

Personality: Though he is quite pessimistic, Oko strives to make a positive impact on the world around him to honor the memory of those he lost in battles past. He is curious at heart, and though he tries to not get led off course by it, he time and time again finds his curiosity getting the better of him, tempered only by hard earned pessimism and cynicism to keep himself out of the worst of trouble.

Bio: Thousands of years ago, a young and eager Oko came to the defense of his village as roaming warbands sought to raid them. The conflict ended up prolonged, first for weeks, then months, then years as the village's population was gradually whittled down. In the end, the remainder of the village was forced to abandon its home and flee to other parts, ending up as a nomadic people traveling dangerous wilderness where they were forced to learn quickly the skills necessary to survive.

Then, Makuta Teridax took over. Oko's people hid in the wilderness, evading Makuta's forces, before eventually making their way out of the Matoran Universe and onto Bara Magna, where they witnessed the demise of their former home.

Since then they tried to stick together, but as new cultures and new ideals were introduced to the former nomads, they gradually found themselves drifting apart, until eventually Oko found himself at home among the people of New Atero, where he did his best to make a life for himself.

Aircraft:

Name: Virtuous Veil

Model: Skyfighter

Weaponry: Shrapnel Launcher, backwards facing. Fires high velocity shrapnel.

Customisation: Higher manoeuvrability and speed from an overhauled propulsion system.

Appearance: A dark red overall plate colour with multiple light blue fire symbols placed prominently along its hull with distinct names written in white matoran hexascript inside them each of them, outlined with black.

Edited by Onaku

Oko is also approved. 

I know... I keep saying, when I make a character, 'this is going to be my last one'... and then I get another idea so it inevitably never is xD

Please correct me if I've got anything wrong; I didn't follow the Bara Magna arc closely at the time, so I'm not entirely used to an organic nature in Bionicle characters. If I've messed anything up, I'll happily correct it ^^

Name: Alarei

Species: Sister of the Skrall

Powers: Some minor tricks of illusion; though these are self-taught, little more than street-magic, and she is not as good at them as she would like to believe.

Gear: A rusty shield she salvaged from the trash, and a hooded cloak that often conceals her visage.

Personal Aircraft: None

Allegiance/Role: New Atero. Primarily a thief, too small-time to be on most people's radar... but that can only last for so long. Also, like many of her kind, is actively pursuing a vendetta against any and all male Skrall she encounters.

Appearance: Not much more than an adolescent, by Agori terms, Alarei is nonetheless tall for her age; not comparable, of course, to a full-grown Skrall warrior, but certainly has height over your average Agori. Slender of build, she doesn't wear armour to bulk herself up, and is instead typically clad in little more than a long black tunic and boots. Her skin is a light shade of greyish-brown, severely freckled, and dark hair curls around her ears beneath the most rudimentary of helmets; though this is often hidden beneath the tattered cloak she shrouds herself in.

Personality: It would be easy to assume that, like most of her kind, Alarei is little more than a hateful being driven by desire for vengeance against the male Skrall who cast them out so long ago. While this is, indeed, how she has been raised to think, the truth is that... Alarei is really still a kid at heart. She, personally, is far too young to remember the wrongs that the Sisters suffered at the hands of the male Skrall, and her vengeful ways are simply because she has been taught no better. In honesty, she is a very impressionable individual, and could theoretically be talked down from this... or else, led into something worse instead. A lonely individual ever since she left her fellow Sisters, she is quick to form attachments to those who are kind to her; and while she's no less rough around them, it is nonetheless very clear when this has happened.

Bio: Born many years after the botched reformation of Spherus Magna, into a clan of Sisters of the Skrall who refused to return from their exile to cooperate with the other races, Alarei was raised from an early age to despise the males of her species. Despite that her mother hailed from Bota Magna, Alarei's favourite teachers were a pair of much older Bara Magna Sisters who had lived through their abandonment by the males so many hundreds of years ago; and, out of her sympathy for them, her own hatred for the male Skrall grew. More than anything, she decided, she wanted to avenge all that her people had suffered as a result of that rejection... and she couldn't do that if she remained with the other Sisters hiding out in the wastes.

As soon as she was old enough, therefore, Alarei set out for New Atero. Skrall, including the detested ex-leader Tuma, had settled there; so it was there that she would begin her quest for vengeance. With nothing of value to her name, however, it proved impossible for her to make much of a way in the city that was still recovering from its latest war; it wasn't long before Alarei found herself having to resort to stealing to get by. At first just taking what she needed to live, she soon found that there was a dubious market for skilled thieves. Teaching herself a few basic illusion tricks - nothing compared to what she knew the Sisters had possessed before Annona had abandoned their world, mostly just simple sleight-of-hand - to aid her in her thefts, Alarei tentatively put herself forward as a thief-for-hire on the black market.

Edited by Darth Jaller
Clarifying a point ^^

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

Hm, from checking BS01, it looks like the Sisters of the Skrall were supposed to have been stripped of their powers when Annona enslaved them. I'd be okay with Alarei still possessing her abilities, as long as an explanation was given in her backstory.

I'd also like to see a little more specificity in regards to how her illusion powers work. What kinds of illusions are they, what kind of limitations do they have, etc. 

Oh, sorry; I didn't mean to imply she had any of those powers left. I think maybe illusion was too strong a word; I did initially wonder if she might still have some such powers left, but changed my mind before I finished the profile.

I was meaning these to be more... little sleight-of-the-hand tricks that she's picked up herself, the sort of thing that you might expect to see from a street performer. Mostly just tricks of misdirection, like casting a reflection off her shield to fool someone into looking the other way so that she can slip past them. She... honestly is convinced that these tricks are more impressive than they actually are.

For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

Ah, okay. That's fine as well. Alarei is Approved!

At the behest of basically everyone on the Discord server I guess, here's this boy.

Character:

NAME: Catina

SPECIES: Glatorian

POWERS: None

GEAR:

• Thunder Manibus- A long lance tipped with a drill bit.  Despite its name, it has nothing to do with actual thunder.
  • Thornax Launcher- A standard Thornax Launcher, accompanied by several overripe Thornax fruits.
  • Water Skin- An unremarkable water skin.

PERSONAL AIRCRAFT: None

ALLEGIANCE/ROLE: Catina hails from New Atero and works as a knight errant/bodyguard for hire.

APPEARANCE: Completely average in height and in muscle mass, Catina wears armor painted a dull, slate gray everywhere except his helmet, which remains navy blue.  His large shoulder pauldrons are not part of his natural armor set; rather, they are fashioned out of hull pieces from his now-destroyed Jetrax, the Full Helm.

PERSONALITY: A drifter by choice, Catina is a melancholy fellow who suffers from trust issues that prevent him from forming anything beyond a professional relationship with people.  His status as a mute, coupled with his lack of sign language knowledge, presents a large communication barrier that can only be marginally bypassed through the use of expressions and body language.  Despite his handicaps, he shows an impressive dedication to his work, never leaving a job half-done in order to keep his clients from meeting the same fate he has.

BIO: Catina was once an up-and-coming hunter of beasts in a small explorer's guild stationed in New Atero.  For a small while, life was good, until one of his comrades grew envious of the prestige that he was earning.  On an expedition deep into the Wastes, the Full Helm was shot down by the envious comrade, and Catina was left among the wreckage at the mercy of the beasts he once hunted, with no weapons and too few supplies.  Despite his wounds, and the loss of his voice after encountering a particularly nasty Spikit, he made it back to civilization, where he was patched up physically, but not mentally.  He set off into the Wastes again shortly after, this time prepared for the challenges that lay ahead.  He has not been back to New Atero since, nor will he ever go back.

Looks good. Approved.

hey, uh, so i wanted to apologize for the fuss i made on the discord server the other day. i've been having a crisis of confidence lately; i don't think that any of what i contribute to the skyrise community is actually any good, and i don't think my ideas, characters, etc, deserve the positive feedback they've been receiving. i shouldn't have made a scene, and if i worried any of you, i didn't mean to. y'all are chill. 

• Like 1

Reminds me, I've been meaning to ask; am I missing out on a lot by not being part of the Discord group? I'm, you know... not super comfortable on Discord, generally, so I haven't joined up at present. But am I being left out of, like, a lot of plotting and world-building ideas and things due to my absence there, though? :o

For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

I don't think you're missing out on much, per se. It's just a place for folks to chat and catch up, spitball profile ideas, etc.

Edited by Nato the Traveler
  • Like 1

Speaking of, here's another profile to fuel my growing insanity. 

Name: Calidus Serpico

Species: Agori of Jungle

Powers: None to speak of, except slight enhanced agility due to Jungle Agori heritage.

Gear: Snubnose firework revolver, cut off at the barrel to keep for easier stashing. Keeps badge in front pocket of jacket, so he can easily show it, as well as spare ammunition in others. A vest underneath his jacket that is padded similar to a primitive form of kevlar (but obviously with less effective materials), though the padding is only really on the frontal area of the shirt to minimize damage from sharp objects or stray projectiles. Wears kneepads underneath pants, and also, oddly enough, is often seen wearing a pair of white running shoes. 

Personal Aircraft: None 

Allegiance/Role: Hotshot guard for Tesara

Appearance: In terms of armour, Calidus wears it relatively light. He wears a canvas jacket that isn't too long, but long enough to conceal the firework revolver he carries. The jacket itself has off colour pad-like patches stitched on the elbows, and is a greenish-brown colour. The shirt he wears underneath his vest is white, and he wears a black tie over it.  His skin is a deep Sacramento green colour, making his Tesaran heritage fairly clear, and his eyes and hair are dark brown. His hair itself is fairly long, and he wears it in a style approaching that of a mullet, with the front swept to one side. He has strong facial hair genes but tends to keep his face shaved, aside from his sideburns that are both thick and quite long. In terms of build, he's on the tougher side of average. 

Personality: For a guard that is a considerable amount shorter than most of his peers, he makes up with it with a sharp personality and enough of a stubborn attitude to fill a being thrice his size. Ultimately, his attitude is founded in a deep sense of justice and love for his city. A good touchstone would be the character of David Mills from the film Seven. Though he'll often bend some rules of conduct, he won't take bribes, nor is he corruptable in the sense of good to evil. He tends to work best when he has someone to reel him back when he gets too brash. 

Bio: Calidus was initially something of a deliquent, and was actually a bit of an issue for the Tesaran guards due to getting into scrapes and fights with men quite clearly more powerful and bigger than he was. His father, who was a guard in the force was often the one to bail him out of these situations and arrests. However, tragically, his father died of unforeseen circumstances whilst on the job. Calidus spent a good deal of time mourning over this, and the experience lead him to question his life choices and his future. With some nudging from his family and guards that worked with his father, he turned over a new leaf and started his slow, but hopefully promising career as a Tesaran guard, following in his late father's footsteps.

Edited by Triple D

I do enjoy speculation.

• 2 weeks later...

Character:

Name: Rakpazis 
Species: "Airwatcher's" species--"Poison's" species fusion.  
Powers: The only power per say is his paralyzing venom, a substance strong enough to kill targets within half an hour if not treated. This venom is stored inside a chest cavity and helps form an energy webbing, which can be launched at foes. The energy webbing itself is much like a sticky net, binding itself to the target as well as causing paralyses due to the venom.
Gear: Rakpazis's tail, while it already has a natural stun ability, has been enhanced by a Staff of Erasing to further incapacitate foes when struck. Unlike the true Staff of Erasing, it is unable to fire this power as a beam of energy, completely lacking the ranged option. Its claw is functional though, allowing him to pick up small objects or try to give small cuts into targets. Aside from his natural ability to fly due to his wings, his only weapon is a simple spear that has the same powers as a Mask of Scavenging. 
Personal Aircraft: Dweller In The Deep
Allegiance/Role: The Chasm, though more often the Cliffside with other outcasts.  
Appearance: A bestial being that is a mix between vulture and hawk; large wings, a bit stocky with forward hunch, pointed beak with powerful jaw with some fang-esc teeth, tri-toed large talon feet, and vicious claws. 
Personality: Not a great conversationalist, having only about the intelligence of Krekka. As such, he appears simple minded and has difficulty speaking Matoran, with his speech breaking into clicks and screeches. Though far more clever than he appears, especially in aerial combat where his natural understanding of flight and air travel gives him some advantage. A bit prone to anger when other beings fail to understand him, but a bit more cowardice than going into direct conflict. His exact goals and wants are unknown, appears to more be serving someone than the mastermind.  
Bio: What must be eons ago by now, the one known as Rakpazis was once two separate beings entirely. One was a member of "Poison's" race, a "lucky" survivor of the Matoran's attempt to make them extinct. Only he managed to survive as he was captured to be displayed in the Archives, a reminder of their hated foe. There he would remain in stasis until the Great Cataclysm, when that mighty earthquake woke him from his slumber. He feasted on some of the other Rahi there for a time until the Visorak invaded the city, in which he fled. 

The other was a member of "Airwatcher's" race, who accidentally stowaway-ed on a ship heading for Stelt, trying to kill some small rodent that kept evading him. It wasn't long before one of the crew members encountered the being and was promptly killed as a result. After a bit of chasing and a few more deaths, the crew was eventually able to capture him, saving him for their boss to decide what must be done. The Steltian Noble known as Lehderon was not pleased to hear so much of his crew was dead, but found some humor in his new prisoner. Lehderon would gift the being to another Steltian Noble who was under him, Ingoha , as he knew the Dark Hunter would have some fun with him. And that Ingoha did, using his powers to essentially make it their crow up in the nest of their ships, attacking other vessels and Rahi. 

It was on one of these Destined voyages that the two beings met. The "Poison" member was fleeing for a new home and passed over the ship that the crow was guarding. Going off instinct, the crow attacked and the resulting battle nearly killed both combatants. The crew members thought it was such a great show, they would take both back to Stelt to become one of the many matches in the arenas. During one of these showings however, someone or something blasted the two with some sort of energy, fusing the two together. Neither one on their own was very intelligent, but as one they were now almost passable as being intelligent. This new being called itself Rakpazis and managed to escape the arena. 

After this event however, not a whole lot is known about him. He stole a ship, eventually gained his own crew, and was a minor pirate down in the Southern Islands. Like so many before, it seemed he wanted to conquer territory down there, or at least get away from the dangers of the north. He was spotted having escaped the collapsing Matoran Universe, but outside of minor skirmishes here and there, he was largely nonexistent. By this time, in fact, it was assumed he was long dead, if anyone even remembered him. Yet suddenly he appeared in the Cliffs with a surprisingly advance ship looking for supplies. And since his return, he has been doing some minor raiding in the land, taking what seems to be trivial items at times and dumping them into the Chasm below.    

Aircraft:

Name: Dweller In The Deep
Model:  Airship
Weaponry: The ship's primary offensive capability are its Kanoka Cannons; two in the front, one on each side, and one on the top.  The cannons are not completely fixed can be rotated around to a limited degree. Powers typically used are Weakening and Gravity.  

Kanoka Cannon: The Kanoka Cannon is a large energy artillery weapon capable of firing energy beams and/or energy projectiles of whatever Kanoka is loaded within. In the back of this cannon, Kanoka are placed in (up to three can be placed in at a time) and some electromagnetism manipulation causes the disk to float in place and then spin rapidly. Once the disk is spinning at enough momentum to where its power can trigger, a part of the cannon further down siphons/draws this power away from the disk, charging it up into a ball of energy that is purely of the disk's power. This energy drawing is similar to what is done in the Energy Extraction Rifle and Midak Skyblaster, though closer to the Skyblaster as it solely focuses on drawing the power from the disks. Once ready, it fires the stored up energy. Depending on how powerful and type of blast will determine the length of charge/build up required. Rapid fire or weaker shots, such as Midak Skyblaster or Force Blaster equivalents, will need little to no charging time. The strength/power of the blast depends not only on charge, but the power levels of the disks and how many disks are loaded. The disks themselves slowly disintegrate from this process, requiring an occasional cleaning to remove the dust.      

Aside from this Kanoka Cannons, the underside of the airship has four Catapult Scorpion tails installed. The tails retain their function to create and launch boulders, allowing the ship to do a sort of bombing run. 

Customization: The airship has been quite modified and no longer uses a pulley system for its sustained flight. Instead, it has been replaced with a more automated clockwork system that charges up the disks and strikes the ship to make it move up or down. As a result, it is more efficient in this function and requires less crew, but its complexity makes it more difficult to repair if it breaks down. Speed Kanoka have also been added to the disks used to help increase movement.

In a similar vain, its chute engine has been modified so that it intentionally creates Force Spheres, albeit more controlled. It otherwise functions very similarly, but with this added power it allowed the ship to travel at faster speeds. 

In addition, it has six large insect like legs on the craft to allow for ground traversal. These legs are similar to what's found on the Vahki Transports, but have an additional modification to add the small thrusters found on the Skyfighters. These thrusters do little to increase speed and instead help more with maneuverability when in the air.  

Aside from these transportation modifications, the ship has a Krana Za installed in a centralized computer. It ultimately controls the ship and all automated parts of it, acting as its AI and pilot. Its telepathic abilities allow it to know Rakpazis's commands and coordinate with other crew members. The Krana also has control over the two Cargo Haulers that patrol around the ship. These Cargo Haulers are lightly armed, having only a single Midak Skyblaster (shadow variant) each.

Appearance: It is similar to other airships, but painted to look like the Dweller in the Deep, with its legs painted white for the toothy jaws. So whenever the airship descends, it looks as though the giant monster is coming to devour everyone below. 

Well, this is certainly an interesting first profile. There's a lot of cool concepts in here, but I'm afraid there need to be some changes made before I'd be willing to approve this. I've left my comments through the profile.

1 hour ago, TheLegoRoleplayer said:

Powers: The only power per say is his paralyzing venom, a substance strong enough to kill targets within half an hour if not treated. This venom is stored inside a chest cavity and helps form an energy webbing, which can be launched at foes. The energy webbing itself is much like a sticky net, binding itself to the target as well as causing paralyses due to the venom.

I'm going to have to say no to the venom. Paralysis in general isn't a particularly fair or fun power, even more so when it's lethal. Given that it can take several hours to travel between locations, medical professionals are few and far between, and most beings won't know how to treat venom from a thought-to-be-extinct creature, that venom is pretty much a guaranteed kill on anyone it hits. 

I'd also like some more detail on the nets, if you choose to keep them. How big are the nets? Can they be cut through or unraveled, or do they dissipate over time?

Gear: Rakpazis's tail, while it already has a natural stun ability, has been enhanced by a Staff of Erasing to further incapacitate foes when struck. Unlike the true Staff of Erasing, it is unable to fire this power as a beam of energy, completely lacking the ranged option.

Even without the ranged ability, I'm not willing to approve something that can turn someone into a braindead vegetable in a single hit, even temporarily. That completely robs players of the ability to actually roleplay.

Allegiance/Role: The Chasm, though more often the Cliffside with other outcasts. 

The Chasm isn't really something a character can be affiliated with. It's a big hole filled with toxic fumes. At present, characters can't safely enter it, and very little is known about what, if anything, might be down there. 

Personality: His exact goals and wants are unknown, appears to more be serving someone than the mastermind.  

Bio: He was spotted having escaped the collapsing Matoran Universe, but outside of minor skirmishes here and there, he was largely nonexistent. By this time, in fact, it was assumed he was long dead, if anyone even remembered him. Yet suddenly he appeared in the Cliffs with a surprisingly advance ship looking for supplies. And since his return, he has been doing some minor raiding in the land, taking what seems to be trivial items at times and dumping them into the Chasm below.    

I definitely need some more explanation for this. There's a lot in this profile that seems to imply Rakpazis is operating on the behalf of someone/thing else, particularly the fact that he seems to have a lot of advanced custom tech for a creature with the intellect of a neanderthal. If he's working for a character you're planning to create later or something like that, I'd rather you gave some more detail on who he's working for, and what his goals actually are, rather than leaving it all a big question mark. 

Customization: In a similar vain, its chute engine has been modified so that it intentionally creates Force Spheres, albeit more controlled. It otherwise functions very similarly, but with this added power it allowed the ship to travel at faster speeds. 

Okay, I flat-out don't understand how this works. If the engine is tearing itself apart and having its energy siphoned into internal force spheres instead of outward propulsion, that should make it slower, not faster. Not to mention the fact that the engine would eventually implode. 

In addition, it has six large insect like legs on the craft to allow for ground traversal. These legs are similar to what's found on the Vahki Transports, but have an additional modification to add the small thrusters found on the Skyfighters. These thrusters do little to increase speed and instead help more with maneuverability when in the air.  

Frankly, I find this one a bit too complicated to be necessary. There's really no in-universe need for an airship to be able to walk, and you've already given it the clockwork system with the speed disks to make it more maneuverable. 

Aside from these transportation modifications, the ship has a Krana Za installed in a centralized computer. It ultimately controls the ship and all automated parts of it, acting as its AI and pilot. Its telepathic abilities allow it to know Rakpazis's commands and coordinate with other crew members.

I'm going to have to say no to this as well. It's a very interesting, well thought-out concept, but I've barred far less advanced autopilot systems, etc. in the past, so it would be double-standards for me to allow this through. 

These Cargo Haulers are lightly armed, having only a single Midak Skyblaster (shadow variant) each.

Also going to have to nix this one, I'm afraid. Cargo Haulers just haul cargo. That's it. They're not combat-capable, and frankly this airship has enough going on weapon-wise without needing attack drones as well. 

6 hours ago, Nato the Traveler said:

Well, this is certainly an interesting first profile. There's a lot of cool concepts in here, but I'm afraid there need to be some changes made before I'd be willing to approve this. I've left my comments through the profile.

I'm going to have to say no to the venom. Paralysis in general isn't a particularly fair or fun power, even more so when it's lethal. Given that it can take several hours to travel between locations, medical professionals are few and far between, and most beings won't know how to treat venom from a thought-to-be-extinct creature, that venom is pretty much a guaranteed kill on anyone it hits. 

Very well, I was just using the canon's species power. It can be extended to several hours, but if lethality is still a problem I suppose that portion can be removed entirely. However, due to Kanoka disks such as Remove Poison, curing it wouldn't require much effort. It is even implied in canon that it would be fairly easy to treat, just as long as it was treated in time.

I'd also like some more detail on the nets, if you choose to keep them. How big are the nets? Can they be cut through or unraveled, or do they dissipate over time?

Given you can strike Rhotuka spinners, which are also energy, I imagine that it is possible to cut them. Unraveling them would be more difficult given its binding nature, but I would say they eventually dissipate over time. It is energy after all, it can only be around for so long. As for size, large enough to easily entrap a Toa.

Even without the ranged ability, I'm not willing to approve something that can turn someone into a braindead vegetable in a single hit, even temporarily. That completely robs players of the ability to actually roleplay.

That would only be the case if the other player decided to attack and then be in close enough range to be physically struck. Though in technicality, that would not rob a player the ability to roleplay, they very well still could, just that the character wouldn't be as optimized. Regardless, I am willing to lessen it back to the normal canon stun possessed by "Poison". 

The Chasm isn't really something a character can be affiliated with. It's a big hole filled with toxic fumes. At present, characters can't safely enter it, and very little is known about what, if anything, might be down there. 

One can have enough affinity for something to claim affiliation with it, even a giant hole of toxicity. Or even to be associated with it, if they spend enough time hanging around there, albeit just within the safe range. That is more or less what I was aiming for, but your category didn't state if an explanation was needed for such a section.   

I definitely need some more explanation for this. There's a lot in this profile that seems to imply Rakpazis is operating on the behalf of someone/thing else, particularly the fact that he seems to have a lot of advanced custom tech for a creature with the intellect of a neanderthal. If he's working for a character you're planning to create later or something like that, I'd rather you gave some more detail on who he's working for, and what his goals actually are, rather than leaving it all a big question mark. 

Yes, he is working for someone else. I intentionally left the door opened as I have not finished going through all the pages in the IC topic yet. So who he ends up as working under, be it another character of mine I'm thinking of, or perhaps secretly working for another character already in the game, is yet to be determined. That latter portion is only for those who would have me, just note I am more than willing to go that route and have him work under another player(s). For now, just think his odd behavior is that he's doing something like the Voya Nui Matoran, tossing down tools and equipment down to Mahri Nui in remembrance of those they lost.  

Okay, I flat-out don't understand how this works. If the engine is tearing itself apart and having its energy siphoned into internal force spheres instead of outward propulsion, that should make it slower, not faster. Not to mention the fact that the engine would eventually implode. 

Admittedly, I was writing this late at night and left out the rest of the explanation on this part. Think something of a combustion engine, it is purposely creating the Force Spheres and then causing them to implode out one of the ends for momentum. Due to the strong and more explosive nature of it, it could potentially increase travel speed. The Chute is redesigned with this in mind so that it doesn't entirely collapse in the process. With the explosions coming out the ends, which can be made to be reinforced, chances of engine imploding should be minimal. Unless something goes wrong during a firefight, then just imagine the wonderful event for the ship. 

Frankly, I find this one a bit too complicated to be necessary. There's really no in-universe need for an airship to be able to walk, and you've already given it the clockwork system with the speed disks to make it more maneuverable. 

The speed disks help somewhat, yes, but not as immediate for short, quick turns or potentially rolling the ship. Allows it to move in ways that it otherwise likely would not be able to do. Though even if it ends up never using them for walking,  still serving other purposes as well as aesthetics. 

I'm going to have to say no to this as well. It's a very interesting, well thought-out concept, but I've barred far less advanced autopilot systems, etc. in the past, so it would be double-standards for me to allow this through. 

I had only skimmed through this topic previously, but the only autopilot system I saw was more of an aimbot using a Sonak. The difference here being that it's a Krana, making it more like a giant Bohrok, the ship is just the shell this living mask controls. And unlike other AI systems which lack a mind or require technology manipulation to mess with, a Krana is susceptible to other Psionic users. The Za may be a telepathy itself, but is is not a strong telepath, others could override its mind. It constant use of the power likely makes that even more detectable to other users with that power. 

Though if it can only control movement of the ship, and none of the weaponry, would that be acceptable? In this case, I see there would be almost no difference between strapping a pilot permanently to the chair or some other pilot often just waiting to take off versus another being "installed" in the ship. Rakpazis is more the captain, the Krana is his pilot.

Also going to have to nix this one, I'm afraid. Cargo Haulers just haul cargo. That's it. They're not combat-capable, and frankly this airship has enough going on weapon-wise without needing attack drones as well. 

Until modified, sure, they just haul cargo. But very well, I can drop the drones.

19 hours ago, TheLegoRoleplayer said:

Very well, I was just using the canon's species power. It can be extended to several hours, but if lethality is still a problem I suppose that portion can be removed entirely. However, due to Kanoka disks such as Remove Poison, curing it wouldn't require much effort. It is even implied in canon that it would be fairly easy to treat, just as long as it was treated in time.

My problem is with both the paralysis and lethality aspects. When I approve something, I try to think or the worst possible way it could be used, because if I allow something for one player, then I'm obliged to allow it for another. Even if you aren't planning to go out of your way to murder other characters, the next guy who rocks up with paralytic venom might decide it'd be real fun to start butchering the folks he paralyses. Or someone else might stroll up and get stabby with someone Rakpazis has paralysed. 

Given you can strike Rhotuka spinners, which are also energy, I imagine that it is possible to cut them. Unraveling them would be more difficult given its binding nature, but I would say they eventually dissipate over time. It is energy after all, it can only be around for so long. As for size, large enough to easily entrap a Toa.

I'm fine with this. 

That would only be the case if the other player decided to attack and then be in close enough range to be physically struck. Though in technicality, that would not rob a player the ability to roleplay, they very well still could, just that the character wouldn't be as optimized. Regardless, I am willing to lessen it back to the normal canon stun possessed by "Poison". 

I'd prefer the regular stun capability, yeah. 

One can have enough affinity for something to claim affiliation with it, even a giant hole of toxicity. Or even to be associated with it, if they spend enough time hanging around there, albeit just within the safe range. That is more or less what I was aiming for, but your category didn't state if an explanation was needed for such a section.   

When you put it like that, it makes a strange kind of sense, so I'm cool with it. 

Yes, he is working for someone else. I intentionally left the door opened as I have not finished going through all the pages in the IC topic yet. So who he ends up as working under, be it another character of mine I'm thinking of, or perhaps secretly working for another character already in the game, is yet to be determined. That latter portion is only for those who would have me, just note I am more than willing to go that route and have him work under another player(s). For now, just think his odd behavior is that he's doing something like the Voya Nui Matoran, tossing down tools and equipment down to Mahri Nui in remembrance of those they lost.  

Okay. Still a little strange, but workable. 

Admittedly, I was writing this late at night and left out the rest of the explanation on this part. Think something of a combustion engine, it is purposely creating the Force Spheres and then causing them to implode out one of the ends for momentum. Due to the strong and more explosive nature of it, it could potentially increase travel speed. The Chute is redesigned with this in mind so that it doesn't entirely collapse in the process. With the explosions coming out the ends, which can be made to be reinforced, chances of engine imploding should be minimal. Unless something goes wrong during a firefight, then just imagine the wonderful event for the ship. 

My main issue with this is that it isn't really sustainable. There isn't a massive surplus of chute material lying around since the MU got swallowed up by the Chasm. Airship repairs are complicated and expensive, so it would take a lot of work to create and maintain an engine that basically cannibalises itself on a regular basis. 

I also think there might be some confusion here regarding the difference between explosion and implosion. An explosion is outward force, whereas an implosion is force being drawn inwards. A force sphere is basically the magnetic equivalent of a black hole, pulling in metal objects, before reaching critical mass and obliterating itself. Given that all of its force is being generated inwards, it wouldn't really help with propulsion. 

The speed disks help somewhat, yes, but not as immediate for short, quick turns or potentially rolling the ship. Allows it to move in ways that it otherwise likely would not be able to do. Though even if it ends up never using them for walking,  still serving other purposes as well as aesthetics. 

Airships are, by their nature, meant to be kind of slow and clunky. They're basically big flying houses. They're never going to be super maneuverable, and I feel like this one has enough stuff going on without the need for even more added agility. 

I had only skimmed through this topic previously, but the only autopilot system I saw was more of an aimbot using a Sonak. The difference here being that it's a Krana, making it more like a giant Bohrok, the ship is just the shell this living mask controls. And unlike other AI systems which lack a mind or require technology manipulation to mess with, a Krana is susceptible to other Psionic users. The Za may be a telepathy itself, but is is not a strong telepath, others could override its mind. It constant use of the power likely makes that even more detectable to other users with that power. 

You may not have come across all of the concepts in the topic. Some players prefer to run their more out-there ideas past me on Discord or through PMs, which is where the autopilot ideas have come up. I'm okay with integrated Kanohi being used for customisation, but a sentient Krana autopilot is a bit much, I'm afraid. And while you make a good point about the Za being susceptible to other psionic users, I can't recall off the top if my head if there are actually any Ce-elementals in the game at the moment. The closest I can think of is a member of Takadox's species. If this were a game were Ce-elementals were a common meta, I might consider it, but at present it's kind of a meaningless weakness. 

3 hours ago, Nato the Traveler said:

My problem is with both the paralysis and lethality aspects. When I approve something, I try to think or the worst possible way it could be used, because if I allow something for one player, then I'm obliged to allow it for another. Even if you aren't planning to go out of your way to murder other characters, the next guy who rocks up with paralytic venom might decide it'd be real fun to start butchering the folks he paralyses. Or someone else might stroll up and get stabby with someone Rakpazis has paralysed. 

And to what point where such a line would be drawn? If you're so concerned about the potential for a character dying, you could always make it a rule so that characters can't be killed (or killed without permission). Or if someone decided to be "stabby," you are the GM yes? You can just state it didn't happen or explain to the player that such a thing is not allowed to happen when a characters is in a paralyzed  state. There are plenty of ways to handle it other than removing the abilities of both species in the fusion. Because at that rate, almost every power should be removed. The element of Fire allows one to increase heat and thus cause another being's skin, muscle, armor, etc. to rapidly heat up, burning/melting that being away, for which you don't even need to strike them to pull it off. Air can be used to cause lungs to expand to the point of bursting, Psionics can both shut off the mind and rip the body apart, etc. 

My main issue with this is that it isn't really sustainable. There isn't a massive surplus of chute material lying around since the MU got swallowed up by the Chasm. Airship repairs are complicated and expensive, so it would take a lot of work to create and maintain an engine that basically cannibalises itself on a regular basis. 

I also think there might be some confusion here regarding the difference between explosion and implosion. An explosion is outward force, whereas an implosion is force being drawn inwards. A force sphere is basically the magnetic equivalent of a black hole, pulling in metal objects, before reaching critical mass and obliterating itself. Given that all of its force is being generated inwards, it wouldn't really help with propulsion. 

Well, yes and no. Again, it does depend on how you design the engine. The closest example I am thinking of is part of a system proposed by NASA. 

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/57cc/2e1aaf46108970e4254cbcd3fcc19e4f2d8a.pdf

I say yes and no as, which you can find in the article, there can be some potential destruction issues. Among others, but I would think it wouldn't be too difficult to make a modification for it to work with the Chute and Force Spheres. But very well, I'll drop it. 

Airships are, by their nature, meant to be kind of slow and clunky. They're basically big flying houses. They're never going to be super maneuverable, and I feel like this one has enough stuff going on without the need for even more added agility. 

Never super maneuverable, but little additions help plenty. 

You may not have come across all of the concepts in the topic. Some players prefer to run their more out-there ideas past me on Discord or through PMs, which is where the autopilot ideas have come up. I'm okay with integrated Kanohi being used for customisation, but a sentient Krana autopilot is a bit much, I'm afraid. And while you make a good point about the Za being susceptible to other psionic users, I can't recall off the top if my head if there are actually any Ce-elementals in the game at the moment. The closest I can think of is a member of Takadox's species. If this were a game were Ce-elementals were a common meta, I might consider it, but at present it's kind of a meaningless weakness. 

Then you should do your due diligence and either publish summations of such discussions in this topic or in another easily accessible location. If you're so worry about inconsistencies, nothing seems more inconsistent when you can just claim things like this and have no resources for players and newcomers to see. Similarly, if such decisions are publish, but done on this Discord server, then that needs to be stated in the intro and/or with additional encouragement to join it. Simply just leaving that existence of a Discord implies that it's not necessary and just a side edition if it suits your fancy. 

Now back to the primary discussion at hand. Again, what's the difference between the Krana Za and just having a pilot permanently stationed on the ship? One always waiting there, or perhaps you just have a bunch of clones of your character waiting to use it whenever. Unless there is some ruling where only the primary character can fly/pilot their ship, then any NPC or secondary characters could easily suffice and act as an "autopilot." Just one isn't literally integrated with the ship and the other is.

As for the meta, other could eventually learn of it being a Krana Za and adapt tactics appropriately. There are plenty of Psionic based weapons and technology to use.    

Hey, long-time RPer stepping in, because I know how it feels to just be yelled at by the GM when you want something approved.

First of all, toward the propulsion system. I realize this is kind of a moot point considering you said you'd drop it, but I did give that article you linked a read, and the critical difference here between your force sphere engine and NASA's imploding liner fusion engine is the introduction of fuel. The concept engine uses the compression in order to decrease the burning temperature of the fuel, igniting it to induce fusion, and thus creating the "explosion" that propels a rocket forward. In your force sphere engine, this fuel would be obliterated every time the force sphere collapsed and even if it could work, you'd have to add fuel and chute material to your shopping list on a constant basis... in the middle of a wasteland. But good news, it's just the science Nato's taking an issue with here, it's not the increased speed you're going for with it.

Second of all, the autopilot. I know it seems nebulous to just cite "someone sent me a private message about it," but basically this is what the approval system is for. You pitch a concept, GM decides whether it's going to fly or not. Wherever it may or may not have been seen before doesn't really matter, GM said no, and sometimes players just have to live with that. What you're asking for is that other players be forced to write in Psionics users (and let me mention that Psionics is rare to get a pass in these RPs) just to give you the weakness your design needs to be approved. This isn't a Cold War scenario, it isn't even a combat-oriented game, this is a bunch of people having fun playing characters. There is no "meta."

Also you are more than welcome to join the Discord anytime and have these discussions with us, but it definitely isn't necessary and some people here aren't comfortable with it, and that's fine.

Thirdly, death in RPs. No one likes their character they worked so hard on just suddenly becoming unplayable, and that's exactly why we have systems like the auto-teleport from the ships. But sometimes your character upsets someone they shouldn't have, or they start a fight they can't win, and trust me, the last thing you want in that scenario is to have the GM stepping in to save you. It's not fair to you, it's not fair to the other player(s), it's not fair to the GM, and it's not fair to the story. But while these powers that can kill someone exist (as do knives and guns), it's pretty rare someone is going to run into someone evil/mad enough to use them, and when they do, there's usually a way out. With paralysis/erasing, there is no way out. Your character is at the mercy of whoever is around until it wears off, and that is exactly why it's not going to be approved. As Nato said, whether you're going to use it that way or not, someone else might come along who would.

8 hours ago, Click said:

Hey, long-time RPer stepping in, because I know how it feels to just be yelled at by the GM when you want something approved.

First of all, toward the propulsion system. I realize this is kind of a moot point considering you said you'd drop it, but I did give that article you linked a read, and the critical difference here between your force sphere engine and NASA's imploding liner fusion engine is the introduction of fuel. The concept engine uses the compression in order to decrease the burning temperature of the fuel, igniting it to induce fusion, and thus creating the "explosion" that propels a rocket forward. In your force sphere engine, this fuel would be obliterated every time the force sphere collapsed and even if it could work, you'd have to add fuel and chute material to your shopping list on a constant basis... in the middle of a wasteland. But good news, it's just the science Nato's taking an issue with here, it's not the increased speed you're going for with it.

Second of all, the autopilot. I know it seems nebulous to just cite "someone sent me a private message about it," but basically this is what the approval system is for. You pitch a concept, GM decides whether it's going to fly or not. Wherever it may or may not have been seen before doesn't really matter, GM said no, and sometimes players just have to live with that. What you're asking for is that other players be forced to write in Psionics users (and let me mention that Psionics is rare to get a pass in these RPs) just to give you the weakness your design needs to be approved. This isn't a Cold War scenario, it isn't even a combat-oriented game, this is a bunch of people having fun playing characters. There is no "meta."

Also you are more than welcome to join the Discord anytime and have these discussions with us, but it definitely isn't necessary and some people here aren't comfortable with it, and that's fine.

Thirdly, death in RPs. No one likes their character they worked so hard on just suddenly becoming unplayable, and that's exactly why we have systems like the auto-teleport from the ships. But sometimes your character upsets someone they shouldn't have, or they start a fight they can't win, and trust me, the last thing you want in that scenario is to have the GM stepping in to save you. It's not fair to you, it's not fair to the other player(s), it's not fair to the GM, and it's not fair to the story. But while these powers that can kill someone exist (as do knives and guns), it's pretty rare someone is going to run into someone evil/mad enough to use them, and when they do, there's usually a way out. With paralysis/erasing, there is no way out. Your character is at the mercy of whoever is around until it wears off, and that is exactly why it's not going to be approved. As Nato said, whether you're going to use it that way or not, someone else might come along who would.

This is considered yelling? I see no hostility or increase of hostilities, so why one would consider it "yelling" seems out of place. Regardless, I have been in online text-based roleplays (forum/message board, instant messaging, and gallery styles), for nearly a decade. I've been in systems with GMs, ones with no true rulers or controllers but whatever randomness the masses tossed in, democratic mass user systems, ones where the owner of faction topics collective decide/discuss the direction and fate of the RP, etc.; open sandboxes, closed hallways, single narrative, and everything in between. Been a faction leader, been an RP moderator, site administrator, GM of several RP instances......That is to say, this isn't my first time. 

And in my experience, the fast way to learn how a GM, and an existing community, thinks is to fail faster. To purposely test the limits and see that results. I'm not entirely looking for approval, I'm looking for rejection reasons to determine the strength of the GM and adjust accordingly. That way, I can slip in easier and avoid problems later. But if you insist. 

That's why I said part of the system. It's not one-to-one, it can't be, Bionicle science and technology does not work like our own. There are plenty of similarities, but far more differences; which is why I used the fusion engine as more of a proof-of-concept rather than straight application. I still believe it is possible for such a system to be feasible with the Chute system, without entire destroying it, but it's not the most essential part of the ship. As for fuel and parts, that can easily be done by the Kanohi Kiril and/or a couple elemental powers, if implemented instead of the Krana. Though yes, I agree, it's not the speed I was arguing for either. 

And there in lies the first problem, he said no, but with invalid reasoning. A court that makes a decision and does not publish the ruling for the public to find and research later is a meaningless one. To simply say no and leave it at that is one thing, but to give a reason means that decision must be scrutinized.  To which I'll move onto your final point in this section before moving back to the second one.

A non combat-oriented game that is Guns of Icarus with a Bionicle skin on top. In which everything in the Bionicle universe points it to being a very combat-oriented reality, but that's another matter entirely. I believe you meant to say not combat-oriented between players, as otherwise the  emphasis and limitation on vehicles, especially combat capabilities, are then mute and pointless. Why bring it up if fighting and combat are not a part (be it major or minor) of this game? And in either case, be it combat-oriented or having no combat period, what is it about autopiloting ships that goes against the vision and spirit of the game? 

As for forcing players to have Psionic users, again, if combat is not an issue since it's not a thing in the game, then how does it force anyone to make or use it? Nor is Psionics the only solution to such a challenge, just the most immediate and obvious solution. The Za is living, thinking creature, it has its own agenda and goals. It can be talked to, it can be reasoned with, there are even possibilities and plot points where someone could get it to betray its captain and leave him behind. If you're looking at it as a lenses where fighting it would an issue, and if not combat-oriented it shouldn't be the case, then you are fighting it all wrong. Why attack the Za if it cannot control the guns? Why bother with the Za when if the ship goes down, the Za goes down, so just blast the larger and obvious target? Even if you think the Za is a big problem.......you can blast through the hull and into the machine it's plugged into to. None of that requires clever play. 

If a player is upset or in a big enough fuss about their character being killed, or possibly being killed, they are also the kind of player who won't care if the GM comes in and saves them. Chances are, if they aren't trying to pull off the most ridiculous stunt to survive, will be the ones calling for the GM to step in and save them. A respectable player can acknowledge they've been out classed or maneuvered and accept a death. Difference being if it messes with plans had with the GM already, in which a retcon must be had. Which is to be expected, that is the job of the GM, to clean up messes.

Though it seems you are used to a methods of a weak-willed GM. "...if I allow something for one player, then I'm obliged to allow it for another." is a false pretense. There is no obligation for a GM to do that, just as in real life there is no obligation where if one person is allowed to have a weapon then everyone is allowed to have a weapon. There is a major difference between treating someone fair and treating someone equal. To treat someone who needs use of a wheelchair as equal to everyone else and force them to use stairs is not fair and makes things cruelly inaccessible for them. And in the same way, it is up to the GM to decide on a player by player basis what they can handle. It should not be the punishment of the player who can handle these powers properly, but the one who cannot or would use it in ways against the GM's visions. To say a player may come along that would is to say your GM is not capable of handling that person, thus treating everyone "equal" but not fair.  

That is a method that seems to play "favorites," but it is more that a GM knows some players better than others and what they can handle. If a player can prove themselves with smaller things and/or other areas, then they can use whatever it was the so called "favorites" had. Or if you like, just let them run with it and when they show, in several instances, they cannot handle it properly to then reprimand them. 

Paralysis/Erasing is "no way out" if struck by them, no different than being shot or stabbed in the right place. All it takes is getting hit, regardless of method.   

If you're so concerned about the potential for a character dying, you could always make it a rule so that characters can't be killed (or killed without permission). Or if someone decided to be "stabby," you are the GM yes? You can just state it didn't happen or explain to the player that such a thing is not allowed to happen when a characters is in a paralyzed  state. If a player is upset or in a big enough fuss about their character being killed, or possibly being killed, they are also the kind of player who won't care if the GM comes in and saves them. Chances are, if they aren't trying to pull off the most ridiculous stunt to survive, will be the ones calling for the GM to step in and save them.

Sure, I could do that. But I won't. I've taken a lot of measures to discourage rampant character murder, and create opportunities for characters to be able to survive situations they might encounter in-game, but at the end of the day, there need to be meaningful stakes. If I make it so that no matter what anybody does, no matter how hard an attacker tries, or how badly a someone screws up, no one can ever die, then the game loses all of its challenge, and it's going to encourage a lot of dumb behaviour.

And if I decide to swoop in and spare some players but not others, it's going to lead to a lot of arguments about playing favourites, and who is or isn't deserving. It's a lot of added work, with a lot of associated issues, that really isn't necessary, since the current system works fine. I'm also not going to create a specific exception for one problematic power, when it's far easier and more sensible to simply not allow that power. 

Because at that rate, almost every power should be removed. The element of Fire allows one to increase heat and thus cause another being's skin, muscle, armor, etc. to rapidly heat up, burning/melting that being away, for which you don't even need to strike them to pull it off. Air can be used to cause lungs to expand to the point of bursting, Psionics can both shut off the mind and rip the body apart, etc. 

Most of these examples are already against the rules. I can't speak for other sites or games you've participated in, but on this forum, manipulating an element inside another character's body is usually considered to be a form of autohit. But I do understand your point. Plenty of powers and weapons have the potential to be lethal. Someone could sneak up behind someone else and stick them from behind with a knife. Or nail them in the face with a ranged weapon. It's a fine line, but paralysis crosses it. Any hit, anywhere, means an instant win for the attacker, and renders the other character completely unable to defend themselves, or even really be able to play the game in any meaningful way.  

Then you should do your due diligence and either publish summations of such discussions in this topic or in another easily accessible location. If you're so worry about inconsistencies, nothing seems more inconsistent when you can just claim things like this and have no resources for players and newcomers to see.

I feel like I've made it pretty clear that profiles are judged on a case-by-case basis. I'm not going to keep a living list of every specific design or detail I've ever rejected. Conversations that have taken place in PMs or off-site have happened there because the players wanted to talk in private, or simply didn't want to take up space haggling over details here in the topic. 

Again, what's the difference between the Krana Za and just having a pilot permanently stationed on the ship? Unless there is some ruling where only the primary character can fly/pilot their ship, then any NPC or secondary characters could easily suffice and act as an "autopilot." 

With the few very limited exceptions of players I know and trust RPing as guard/military characters, players don't have control over NPCs. That's what I'm here for. Day-to-day interactions, such as buying something from a shopkeeper, speaking with someone in the street, encountering a wild beast in the desert, etc. I'm okay with people playing out themselves, but at the moment, I have no intention of allowing players to have control over NPC groups, etc. If I was going to allow NPC crews, I would've included a space for that in the profile form. I realise that isn't really stated anywhere, but you're the first person who's come through here with that expectation. 

And in either case, be it combat-oriented or having no combat period, what is it about autopiloting ships that goes against the vision and spirit of the game? 

Because the game is supposed to be about the characters. If everyone has an expendable autopilot - be it a Krana, AI, NPC, whatever - that can pilot and fight for them while they sit back and relax, then there's no challenge, no stakes. The advanced nature of Bionicle tech can make things seem a bit unbalanced at times, but this game is still meant to exist in a semi-post-apocalyptic setting. Players and characters have to put in an effort, to work, fight, and explore for themselves. 

Which is to be expected, that is the job of the GM, to clean up messes.

This is an oversimplification that I deeply disagree with.

My job as the GM is to create and maintain the world of the game, to open up this sandbox to players who come along, to make places for their characters to explore, and plot points for them to follow. Resolving the occasional argument is a very small part of what I do. 

"...if I allow something for one player, then I'm obliged to allow it for another." is a false pretense. There is no obligation for a GM to do that, just as in real life there is no obligation where if one person is allowed to have a weapon then everyone is allowed to have a weapon.

You're right. I'm not obligated to run my game this way, but it's how I've chosen to do it. It's the easiest, fairest way for me to get through approvals in a timely manner. If it's something that one person could abuse, then it's something I'm not going to let anybody have. 

And in the same way, it is up to the GM to decide on a player by player basis what they can handle. It should not be the punishment of the player who can handle these powers properly, but the one who cannot or would use it in ways against the GM's visions. To say a player may come along that would is to say your GM is not capable of handling that person, thus treating everyone "equal" but not fair.  That is a method that seems to play "favorites," but it is more that a GM knows some players better than others and what they can handle. If a player can prove themselves with smaller things and/or other areas, then they can use whatever it was the so called "favorites" had. Or if you like, just let them run with it and when they show, in several instances, they cannot handle it properly to then reprimand them. 

By your own logic, I'm right not to let you have these powers. You're new to the game, and new to the site. I don't know how you play, or whether I should believe any of what you say. When it comes to abilities like erasing and paralysis, I wouldn't even allow it for players I've RPed with for years, who I know and trust implicitly, because they're inherently OP, unfair powers, regardless of who is wielding it. 

I'm looking for rejection reasons to determine the strength of the GM and adjust accordingly. 

Though it seems you are used to a methods of a weak-willed GM.

I'll conclude with a bit of background. I first started Skyrise a few years ago. It attracted a decent following, but eventually I hit a point where circumstances in my personal life got in the way of me finding the time and motivation to keep the game operating to a satisfactory degree... so I let it end.

Earlier this year, a friend asked if I'd consider reviving it, and after asking around and realising there were a fair few people interested in the idea, I decided to go ahead with it, to help breathe some life back into a site that has sadly been struggling lately. I work full-time, in a job that really tires out my creativity, but I've still managed to strike up a work-life balance where I find the time to post here at least once a day, because people whose friendship I value asked nicely, and I enjoy being able to offer something they enjoy in turn. 

With that in mind, it's frankly quite insulting to have someone new to the site wander in here, going out of their way to test my 'strength', pick apart the way I run my game, and then call me 'weak-willed' for doing things in a way that has worked absolutely fine for everyone else. 

I don't have a problem with new users, or new players. I encourage it. The more characters inhabit this world, the more alive it becomes.

But frankly, you're not making a great first impression.

On 11/12/2019 at 6:23 AM, Nato the Traveler said:

Sure, I could do that. But I won't. I've taken a lot of measures to discourage rampant character murder, and create opportunities for characters to be able to survive situations they might encounter in-game, but at the end of the day, there need to be meaningful stakes. If I make it so that no matter what anybody does, no matter how hard an attacker tries, or how badly a someone screws up, no one can ever die, then the game loses all of its challenge, and it's going to encourage a lot of dumb behaviour.

And if I decide to swoop in and spare some players but not others, it's going to lead to a lot of arguments about playing favourites, and who is or isn't deserving. It's a lot of added work, with a lot of associated issues, that really isn't necessary, since the current system works fine. I'm also not going to create a specific exception for one problematic power, when it's far easier and more sensible to simply not allow that power. 

Most of this is addressed in parts below, but death (especially death of a player character), is not the only way for stakes. Certainly not for stakes to the players and their characters, but allowing people to escape ship death via teleportation seems like something that would encourage "dumb behavior."

As long as I get to my ship, I'll live! 

* ship blows up before they make it * 

We're going to die! 

...Alright, potential for good humor and story in that way. But still. 

On 11/12/2019 at 6:23 AM, Nato the Traveler said:

Most of these examples are already against the rules. I can't speak for other sites or games you've participated in, but on this forum, manipulating an element inside another character's body is usually considered to be a form of autohit. But I do understand your point. Plenty of powers and weapons have the potential to be lethal. Someone could sneak up behind someone else and stick them from behind with a knife. Or nail them in the face with a ranged weapon. It's a fine line, but paralysis crosses it. Any hit, anywhere, means an instant win for the attacker, and renders the other character completely unable to defend themselves, or even really be able to play the game in any meaningful way.  

Given the average size of a weapon in Bionicle to the size of their bodies, well, a strike from just about anywhere would be enough to kill them. Though getting hit anywhere would not result in it taking effect, at least paralysis. It is still poison based, it still had to hit muscle or a large enough area to be absorbed. Being brushed by it would not result in an instant win. Even getting hit directly by some deadly poison can be seen as, well, "You worry about scratches?!"

It would have to be a real hit for affect, that would only be fair. 

I feel like I've made it pretty clear that profiles are judged on a case-by-case basis. I'm not going to keep a living list of every specific design or detail I've ever rejected. Conversations that have taken place in PMs or off-site have happened there because the players wanted to talk in private, or simply didn't want to take up space haggling over details here in the topic. 

But at the very least, if such decisions are universal enough and apply to everyone, then such a thing should be listed.

With the few very limited exceptions of players I know and trust RPing as guard/military characters, players don't have control over NPCs. That's what I'm here for. Day-to-day interactions, such as buying something from a shopkeeper, speaking with someone in the street, encountering a wild beast in the desert, etc. I'm okay with people playing out themselves, but at the moment, I have no intention of allowing players to have control over NPC groups, etc. If I was going to allow NPC crews, I would've included a space for that in the profile form. I realise that isn't really stated anywhere, but you're the first person who's come through here with that expectation. 

NPC and character, the only difference is a profile. I'm someone who had played up to twenty-four characters at once in a game and then NPCs on top of that. If it needed to be a character, it's something I can just toss out very easily. Though as for crews, you're allowing airships, that sets an expectation of crews given how large the ships are. 

Though if you want to talk space in the profiles, you have it laid out so the character is the least important part. The first thing you want players to give you, and for others to learn, right after names and such, is their combat abilities. You don't even have their appearance before you want to know what you're fighting! If the focus was on characters, then the profiles should have been laid out more like a character page on Biosector01 or even the Bionicle Wiki. Listing their Bio and Personality Traits first before gear, weapons, etc. tells a player that such a thing is more important. To know the being before knowing what you might have to deal with if you get in a fight with them. 

Because the game is supposed to be about the characters. If everyone has an expendable autopilot - be it a Krana, AI, NPC, whatever - that can pilot and fight for them while they sit back and relax, then there's no challenge, no stakes. The advanced nature of Bionicle tech can make things seem a bit unbalanced at times, but this game is still meant to exist in a semi-post-apocalyptic setting. Players and characters have to put in an effort, to work, fight, and explore for themselves. 

If it can so easily be solved by such things, then that is a narrative problem, not a problem with the thing itself. There are plenty of excuses given why auto-piloting ships aren't effective or can't go alone. It's only an issue if they can solve the problem, and if they can solve the problem, then it can't be much an issue for the world to deal with.

On a side note, if you stuck with just Glatorian and the world of Bara Magna, you would avoid having to deal with AI, Krana, etc. altogether without effort. Bring in the Matoran Universe and you have powers and races so intelligent and capable that it would seem forced for them not to use everything at their disposal.  

This is an oversimplification that I deeply disagree with.

My job as the GM is to create and maintain the world of the game, to open up this sandbox to players who come along, to make places for their characters to explore, and plot points for them to follow. Resolving the occasional argument is a very small part of what I do. 

Only an oversimplification when taken out of context. Within the discussion and placement it was in, it was referring to a specific instance/scenario. 

You're right. I'm not obligated to run my game this way, but it's how I've chosen to do it. It's the easiest, fairest way for me to get through approvals in a timely manner. If it's something that one person could abuse, then it's something I'm not going to let anybody have. 

By your own logic, I'm right not to let you have these powers. You're new to the game, and new to the site. I don't know how you play, or whether I should believe any of what you say. When it comes to abilities like erasing and paralysis, I wouldn't even allow it for players I've RPed with for years, who I know and trust implicitly, because they're inherently OP, unfair powers, regardless of who is wielding it. 

Yes, that is what I'm saying, I'm not arguing for my exclusion, but for such application. There's a difference in saying "someone else might abuse it" and "I'm worried you might abuse it, I don't know you yet." The first informs me that either you're trying to be too polite or that you don't think I'm the problem, blaming it on some other scapegoat. At which point, it does make you appear weak as that "someone" is always making you fearful of ever allowing it as you could never deny them of having it. But if you think that it is completely out of the question and that no-one would be good enough for such use of it......Well, that's universal enough that it should warrant being listed in the rules, yes? 

If indeed the power and not the potential wielder of said power, I rescind the ability. 

I'll conclude with a bit of background. I first started Skyrise a few years ago. It attracted a decent following, but eventually I hit a point where circumstances in my personal life got in the way of me finding the time and motivation to keep the game operating to a satisfactory degree... so I let it end.

Earlier this year, a friend asked if I'd consider reviving it, and after asking around and realising there were a fair few people interested in the idea, I decided to go ahead with it, to help breathe some life back into a site that has sadly been struggling lately. I work full-time, in a job that really tires out my creativity, but I've still managed to strike up a work-life balance where I find the time to post here at least once a day, because people whose friendship I value asked nicely, and I enjoy being able to offer something they enjoy in turn. 

With that in mind, it's frankly quite insulting to have someone new to the site wander in here, going out of their way to test my 'strength', pick apart the way I run my game, and then call me 'weak-willed' for doing things in a way that has worked absolutely fine for everyone else. 

I don't have a problem with new users, or new players. I encourage it. The more characters inhabit this world, the more alive it becomes.

But frankly, you're not making a great first impression.

Believe it or not, I had already gathered that background information, or a good impression of it at the very least. Your profile and posting habits on the site alone make that fairly obvious without needing further research outside of the four topics.  

That said, every player tests the GM, whether purposeful or not. Most are happy just to see what they can get away with and slip past the GM, see how much they pay attention. But they test for approvals and approvals teach very little. Reasons are not given with approvals, they do not lead into insight of the GM's mind nor true intentions and spirit of the game. For every game has plenty of unspoken rules and policies, for which only breaking can one learn. 

But as I said, reasons are subject to judgement. And from that scrutiny, a better understanding for the reasons, perhaps even real reasons, can be learned. 

Third impression, you already had a first when you saw the profile. 

Though as for crews, you're allowing airships, that sets an expectation of crews given how large the ships are. 

But airships in canon didn't require crews, they only needed a single pilot. In fact, a single pilot could control multiple airships by tethering them together. 

Though if you want to talk space in the profiles, you have it laid out so the character is the least important part. The first thing you want players to give you, and for others to learn, right after names and such, is their combat abilities. You don't even have their appearance before you want to know what you're fighting! If the focus was on characters, then the profiles should have been laid out more like a character page on Biosector01 or even the Bionicle Wiki. Listing their Bio and Personality Traits first before gear, weapons, etc. tells a player that such a thing is more important.

You actually raise an interesting point here. I hadn't thought of it that way. That said, if you have a look at present and previous games on this forum, the layout I've used is pretty much forum standard: the shorter name/species, etc. responses are listed first, followed by the slightly longer powers/weapons/gear, then personality/history, which usually gets the most detail. I didn't see a need to change things up solely for the sake of being different.  

On a side note, if you stuck with just Glatorian and the world of Bara Magna, you would avoid having to deal with AI, Krana, etc. altogether without effort. Bring in the Matoran Universe and you have powers and races so intelligent and capable that it would seem forced for them not to use everything at their disposal.  

Without the tech, this game would basically be a species-swapped rip-off of Wasteland, a game that previously ran on this forum and sadly fizzled out. And though I've allowed species and tech, the MU itself - and resources within it - are gone. 

The first informs me that either you're trying to be too polite or that you don't think I'm the problem, blaming it on some other scapegoat. At which point, it does make you appear weak as that "someone" is always making you fearful of ever allowing it as you could never deny them of having it.

Yes, I am trying to be polite. I'm kind of perturbed by your belief that I appear 'weak' for giving players the benefit of the doubt by not immediately accusing them of planning to do something cruel, unfair, or problematic. It's hard enough to attract new players around here without immediately alienating folks on the spot. 

But they test for approvals and approvals teach very little. Reasons are not given with approvals, they do not lead into insight of the GM's mind nor true intentions and spirit of the game. For every game has plenty of unspoken rules and policies, for which only breaking can one learn. But as I said, reasons are subject to judgement. And from that scrutiny, a better understanding for the reasons, perhaps even real reasons, can be learned. 

I don't think I really understand this, if I'm being honest. 

In my experience (which admittedly, sounds like less than your own) most people who want to play a game want to play the game. Generally, first profiles are usually pretty tame, because they just want to jump in and start doing stuff. The crazier concepts tend to come a little later, once they get a feel for things.

But based on what you're saying, it seems like you're less interested in joining the game, and more focused on... getting in my head? I don't know what sort of 'true intention' you're thinking you're going to find. There's no deeper secret or ulterior motive here, dude. It's just a game. I'm doing it for fun. 

On 11/14/2019 at 5:38 AM, Nato the Traveler said:

But airships in canon didn't require crews, they only needed a single pilot. In fact, a single pilot could control multiple airships by tethering them together. 

" Likewise, if you wanted to use your airship to carry a crew..." Of course, you do specify player characters after that, but doesn't eliminate the possibility of NPCs. 

You actually raise an interesting point here. I hadn't thought of it that way. That said, if you have a look at present and previous games on this forum, the layout I've used is pretty much forum standard: the shorter name/species, etc. responses are listed first, followed by the slightly longer powers/weapons/gear, then personality/history, which usually gets the most detail. I didn't see a need to change things up solely for the sake of being different. 

It wouldn't have been a change solely to be different, but for emphasis on the type of play to be expected. That's what everything in the system (setting descriptions, rules, etc.) should help to enforce this. 

Without the tech, this game would basically be a species-swapped rip-off of Wasteland, a game that previously ran on this forum and sadly fizzled out. And though I've allowed species and tech, the MU itself - and resources within it - are gone. 

And yet with that technology, if properly used, a lack of resources would not be much of an issue. Though even if misused, if something like autopilots can solve their life's problems, they take it. If it doesn't, maybe it assists? The Bara Magna inhabitants were striped of their ability  to create, and unless the Mask of Creation was lost and the same fate happened to the MU beings, then they are certainly intelligent enough to make/use all sorts of things to assist in survival. 

Yes, I am trying to be polite. I'm kind of perturbed by your belief that I appear 'weak' for giving players the benefit of the doubt by not immediately accusing them of planning to do something cruel, unfair, or problematic. It's hard enough to attract new players around here without immediately alienating folks on the spot. 

"...I try to think or the worst possible way it could be used...."

And from there, you just don't assume that player would use it that way? Even if you don't for that particular player, you certainly are accusing of someone planing to do something with it. Regardless, it could have easily have been something along the lines of, "Could you remove it or replace it with something else? Maybe later you can use it." Plenty of ways to politely do it while being firm and/or not scapegoating another someone.  Which can easily lead to arguments. 

I don't think I really understand this, if I'm being honest. 

In my experience (which admittedly, sounds like less than your own) most people who want to play a game want to play the game. Generally, first profiles are usually pretty tame, because they just want to jump in and start doing stuff. The crazier concepts tend to come a little later, once they get a feel for things.

But based on what you're saying, it seems like you're less interested in joining the game, and more focused on... getting in my head? I don't know what sort of 'true intention' you're thinking you're going to find. There's no deeper secret or ulterior motive here, dude. It's just a game. I'm doing it for fun. 

People have many different reasons for wanting to play the game. Some to take it over (both OOC and IC), others to kill all other players, some to corrupt or warp it to their vision, others to use it as their stage to tell whatever story they want regardless of the actual game, etc. Sure, some can be tame, especially for what they might usually do, but that is the test. If one can get this approved, what if it is pushed a little more? More bold ones have the "crazier" ones out front, still testing to see if it can get through. 

True intention, as I further clarified, being the spirit of the game. And as I said earlier, it's easier to get into the grove of the game when one knows how both the GM and community thinks. As you said yourself, the system has been working fine, and that's due to a certain type of group think; a syncing of dissimilar minds that all have an understand of the game that outsiders would not. Something that breaks when an outsider tries to hop in, but lacks the knowledge of this hidden inner workings. Or the outsider looks in and screams in terror in what seems to be absolute absurdity, even if their own RP home is just as (if not more) absurd.

In short, from my experience, one must be as interested in playing and knowing the players as much as the game itself.  

And yet with that technology, if properly used, a lack of resources would not be much of an issue.

Sure, yeah, Bionicle tech is basically magic and can solve plenty of problems. But even within the fully-functioning Matoran Universe, there were massive disparities in the way that technology was distributed and used. For every thriving metropolis like Xia or Metru Nui, there were villages stuck in the stone age, isolated islands with nothing , and settlements struggling to survive. 

If the inhabitants of the Matoran Universe couldn't fairly share their technological wealth in their own universe, then they definitely aren't going to cooperate properly on a desolate alien planet, where so many resources and the means to replicate them have already been lost. 

And from there, you just don't assume that player would use it that way? Even if you don't for that particular player, you certainly are accusing of someone planing to do something with it.

It's the principle of the thing. If someone rolled up with a lightsaber, but swore they would only use it to cut toast, should I just take their word for it and let that into the game? Of course not. Some things are just too unbalanced to be allowable. Even if one person hasn't considered the OP potential of a particular item or power, someone else could've. It saves me and everyone else a lot of trouble in the future to just avoid the issue entirely by not allowing anyone to have it in the first place.

People have many different reasons for wanting to play the game. Some to take it over (both OOC and IC), others to kill all other players, some to corrupt or warp it to their vision, others to use it as their stage to tell whatever story they want regardless of the actual game, etc. 

I don't know what kinds of games you play, or where you play them, but if the kinds of attitudes you've just described are commonplace, then it sounds like somewhere where people have a disgusting lack of respect for the GMs and other players. That kind of mindset is not welcome here.

True intention, as I further clarified, being the spirit of the game. And as I said earlier, it's easier to get into the grove of the game when one knows how both the GM and community thinks. As you said yourself, the system has been working fine, and that's due to a certain type of group think; a syncing of dissimilar minds that all have an understand of the game that outsiders would not. Something that breaks when an outsider tries to hop in, but lacks the knowledge of this hidden inner workings.

There's no secret understanding or hidden knowledge here. It's very, very simple: have fun, don't be a jerk. 

In short, from my experience, one must be as interested in playing and knowing the players as much as the game itself.  

Then I think it's time for you to make a decision. Are you interested in playing the game, or continuing to nitpick the way it and the community operates? If you want to play, make some changes to the profile and run it by me again. 

@TheLegoRoleplayer

... Whatever RPing environment you come from sounds competitive to a toxic degree. Regardless of what caused it, your attitude toward RPing doesn't seem compatible with ours in the slightest. None of us is here to take over the RP, or to kill everyone else, or to tell some story we personally want to regardless of the game. Quite the opposite in fact, we're here to work together toward a cooperatively written narrative, one built around the setting Nato has laid out for us. This isn't some competitive matching ground for us to measure our power against each other, it's to build a story we find to be compelling with the characters we've written, poured our souls into, and sent off on their adventure in the wasteland.