Canama

Okay I just read this on another forum, but it's so hilarious because it's so true:

Pomson 6000Short CircuitEureka EffectI'll knock out your invisibility and Ubers, I'll stop your Rockets and Grenades and if you start shooting at me I'll just disappear.Trolling complete.

jlovfkk.jpg

Double drop week.GET ON THOSE SERVERS ERRYBODY!

That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

I was about to say the same. :) Can't wait to get my hands on these weapons, they sound pretty interesting from the stats. I'm not too keen on the whole Uber/Cloak-drain mechanic, but we'll see how it works given that it is a projectile and not hit-scan. I'm a bit surprised by the Pyro's melee and pistol-thingy, in that the axe appears to have no downsides, and the Manmelter looks like a laser gun but can extinguish allies.

Actually, it's presumably still a regular melee in that case. And what happens if you crit the heal target with it? 195 damage to the Medic as well? Of course the Axtinguisher is generally better (hard to beat it), but compared to the standard melee this is a pure upgrade. Power creep...It can even allow double-kills with one lucky swing,. An overhealed 125 HP class has 185 HP, meaning that a crit swing will kill it and the medic unless he is fully overhealed too. :P

I loved the new Christmas items that were released recently. Mainly because since they are the Most Wanted Items, of the moment, I took advantage of this and bought a few keys and crates. Using these, I now have a bunch of new items in my inventory, and have now devoted myself to the Pyro class. Merry Smissmas, everyone.Edit: Also, if anyone would like to add me on Steam and get together to play sometime, My Steam name is ZokInsaneMathWizard.

Edited by Zok: Insane Math Wizard

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got on yesterday. Normally I play as Pyro, but I was tired of having all my scores be as Pyro. So I played KOTH as Scout, and I did pretty well. Did the same for a little while with Heavy, Soldier, and Demoman. Started playing CTF, and I stopped playing as Scout. Started playing as Sniper. Not too shabby at it. Tried Spy for a while, and I failed. So I switched back to Sniper. Weapons received through drops: The Axetinguisher, and the Bazaar Bargain. Any strategies for the latter? Also, I don't have any hats. Should I be concerned? :P

*Insert some sort of banner or photograph here*

Weapons received through drops: The Axetinguisher, and the Bazaar Bargain. Any strategies for the latter? Also, I don't have any hats. Should I be concerned? :P

The Bazaar Bargain is a very good Sniper Rifle, so if you're staying Sniper, I recommend you keep it.As for the Axetinguisher, it's a very powerful weapon if you know how to use it. It pretty much does a one-hit KO to anyone on fire. So here's what you should do:As a Pyro, while equipping the Flamethrower, switch to the Axetinguisher, and press Q. It will instantly toggle through the two weapons without having to use manual switching. So when you're setting a guy on fire, quickly switch to Q and use it for a one-hit kill. It isn't easy, but it's very quick and powerful. Just note that other Pyros aren't affected with afterburn.

Ah, Team Fortress 2. My friend got me into it a few months ago, and it has been occupying a lot of my time recently. I just bought some stuff from the Mann Co. Store, so I'm not F2P anymore.As far as favourite classes go, I really like playing Demoknight in Degroot Keep, as I've found a fair amount of swords for him. I also like Engineer, and am going to try playing offensive with the Frontier Justice and the Gunslinger.If anyone wants to trade, my Steam name is crazylegoman. I have a spare Equalizer, and Liberty Launcher that I don't want right now. Also, wrong topic, but I have a copy of Portal that I don't need, if you'd like to trade.

I don't think FJ with the Gunslinger is very good. The mini-sentry is good for assisting, but not for getting kills. Also, since you're playing offensively, only 3 shots before a reload can get you into trouble.

In my experience, the FJ works better with mini-sentries, for two reasons:1) You can afford to destroy it in order to actually use the crits.2) As soon as you've done so, you can fling up a new one, forcing your enemy to choose who to deal with first: The walking crit-cannon or the stationary aim-bot. :DIf you put up a mini-sentry (it helps having bound the build command to a specific key so you don't have to dance on the number keys) and then spam pistol shots, you will usually get at least an assist. Heck, just throw up minis near your teammates, and the enemy may be too busy with them to care about you. The Wrangler is what I would advice against carrying with the Frontier Justice, since you kind of need at least one gun with more than 3 shots, but I've used the FJ/Wrangler/GS loadout successfully at times. As long as you get the sentry up before people notice you, you have a good chance of killing someone. Heck, even Heavies have fallen to a Wrangled mini-sentry. The damage shield prevents the heavy from killing it or you too quickly at mid-range, while the increased fire rate allows you to tap him of HP before he decides to retreat or get close enough to kill it.

I use Minis as more of a drop-and-forget tool rather than a battle assistant. Hence I'm rarely around my Mini to support it or have it support me, I just leave it to harass unsuspecting enemies. When I play offensive Engi, I prefer to do the heavy lifting myself with my own weapons. The 3 shots are just too restrictive in battle and not worth getting killed over on the chance you might get crits.I prefer the FJ when playing defensively. Normal Sentries are better at raking up crits, which are helpful in a pinch if your nest gets taken out, allowing you to survive and retreat.

Well, yes, that's how it's used: Harassment. Spamming pistol shots from another direction at the same time is half the damage, and if you just let the mini do the final shot then that's two crits for you. I find that one or two crit shots is a lot more reliable (and terrifying) than three or four regular shots, since the damage potential rises a lot even at long range. I've found that just the noise of the first hit coupled with my still-glowing weapon is often enough to unnerve some enemies (like approaching Pyro's, who may begin retreating with flares instead of charging with their flamer). That gives me enough time to use another mini-sentry.Or well, actually, my bound key does this: Destroy the previous sentry, place a new one in my hands. So I can drop down a sentry as long as I have metal, without having to think about destroying the previous one myself.Normal sentries rack up kills, true, but often whatever destroyed your nest will destroy you too very quickly. Crits won't help against ubers or stickies under your feet, after all. I still use the FJ with both types of sentry, of course, I just find it more effective when used offensively because I then get crits more often.I was a demon at Payload with it, recently. The cart is a dispenser, so I got enough metal to just throw down wrangled mini-sentries that shot my foes while I covered near the cart. Then the crits gained from killing one foe helped me weaken or kill others while another sentry was already on its way up. Of course I couldn't possibly solo everything, but with my team around me the small sentries were much more of a help than the regular one, since we were on a constant roll forwards.

• 4 weeks later...

I named my shotgun after my dead ex girlfriend.Anyway, I play TF2 a lot, but tend to ragequit after four or five rounds due to the Axtinguisher(which I say ought to be removed from the game entirely)

That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

So, I'm a brand new user. I haven't even fired up the game once yet, but I'd like some tips. Where should I begin? I hear there's multiple classes, which one should I choose? Pretty much any recommendations is what I'm looking for.

Play the in game tutorials to learn the basics.The most-recommended starting class is Medic, it allows to to help your team while you observe the general roles of the other classes. Once you feel like you've got a grip on things, feel free to try out the other classes.

Anyway, I play TF2 a lot, but tend to ragequit after four or five rounds due to the Axtinguisher(which I say ought to be removed from the game entirely)

If a Pyro gets close enough to Ax you, you deserve it.

So, I'm a brand new user. I haven't even fired up the game once yet, but I'd like some tips. Where should I begin? I hear there's multiple classes, which one should I choose? Pretty much any recommendations is what I'm looking for.

Well, the easiest classes to play are probably Soldier and Heavy, since both can be effective as long as you got your basic aim down. Soldier has a rocket launcher (aim for the feet) and Heavy uses a minigun, primarily. Pyro has a flamethrower and is another easy class to start with, though his effectiveness is very depending on your skill and the skill of your enemies. Finally, Medic, who can be just fine by just healing everyone. A single Medic can often turn a match around, even if they are bad at Medic.The hardest classes are probably Scout and Spy. Scout is fast, and does a lot of damage up close with his scattergun. On the other hand he's got little HP, and so it's very easy to die, especially since all guns do more damage at close range in this game. Spy relies on his invisibility cloak to get around unseen, and is meant to stab people in the back to kill them instantly. He can also disguise as any other player and look exactly like them, though he can't attack without losing this disguise. Spy has a very rewarding playstyle, but also very hard. If a Spy gets discovered, he is usually dead, especially if he's cloaked (can't shoot while cloaked).In the middle are the other classes. Demoman can spam explosives and do well, though he may easily lose at close range, especially to Scouts. Sniper relies a lot on your aim. Engineer can plop down a sentry (automatic turret, essentially) to rack up kills and other buildings to assist the team, though using the effectively means that you need some experience. A fully upgraded (and well-placed) sentry can often hold of an entire team at a chokepoint, though.I suggest that you just do what I did when I was new: Fire up the game and start playing a few matches. Experiment with all classes and their various weapons; but make sure that you get used to the standard ones before using the "unlocks" you might get. Each class has a lot of weapons and items, but it is the "originals" that will give the most basic experience you need.If you want to practice, you can hit me up on Steam (username Noxious) and I will gladly hand out advice and explanations.Also use the official TF2 wiki (make sure it's the official one for best quality); as they have good descriptions of all classes, weapons, gameplay elements and even some good strategies to use with (and even against) each.

Keyboard and mouse. Some classes can be played decently with a gamepad, but without the aim that a mouse provides you will have a hard time against most mouse-players.EDIT: I couldn't see your request for some reason, but I've added you back with the name you posted. We'll see if that works.EDIT2: You might need to add "KatukoTheMage" instead (account name), as I'm sure at least one other user has the username "Noxious" in-game. If you see this avatar, it's me.

Edited by Katuko

Play the in game tutorials to learn the basics.The most-recommended starting class is Medic, it allows to to help your team while you observe the general roles of the other classes. Once you feel like you've got a grip on things, feel free to try out the other classes.
Medic is actually a really bad starting class. I know the line of thinking goes, "It allows them to see how others play while being credit to team!", but what it does is make them a target. A really appealing target. And they may not know when to effectively Uber, how to juggle multiple patients effectively, etc. Nothing more frustrating than dying because your Medic didn't know what to do.Might be better to have them go Heavy or something. Medics love Heavies, at least on pubs. It's an easy starting class and lets them see how Medic is played.-Canama

man remember when no one would dream of making a forum site without signatures

that was tight

In game tutorials. Definitely.It really kind of depends on what other shooter you come from and what you're used to doing. The first shooter I played was Star Wars Battlefront, where I almost always played as a Sniper, so after the tutorials I picked up Sniping with little to no curve. If you come from a more standard shooter, Heavy is probably a good choice.If you really want to learn, just play some offline matches against bots and figure out what works best for you. Bots are a fairly good representation of how your everyday pub server will be, so you can experiment with various classes to see which one you like best. I like to do Snipers on pub servers, but when I join the private servers I like, I usually stick to Scoots and Demos because I have trouble Sniping against high-quality players.Medic is an interesting character. When you play medic, especially if you latch onto a Heavy like all medics do, you're basically sniping target #1. Because a heavy tied to a medic is a beast that not many attacks can overtake, Snipers are going to go hard at you. So either be prepared to move a lot (which doesn't always work, because a high-class sniper can clean house on moving targets) or try something else.If the Spy works out for you, that can be really really effective on pub servers, because your standard pub player doesn't really know how to counter even a decent Spy. The downside is that the Spy is a really hard class to play, it doesn't operate like your standard shooter char and it has a pretty steep learning curve.However, Pyro is a nice class.Similarly to Katuko, feel free to hit me up on Steam, I'm Zerothemaster1. And that's for anyone, the more the merrier :3 Edited by Zerothemaster

I'll take you up on that Zero, and I'll play the tutorials to get a basic feel for each class (I did notice that when I did my Soldier tutorial I was merely spamming the rocket launcher at the enemies and getting annihilated by heavys. And the was a time when I was lit up by a pyro, and shouted for the medic, only to realize that the medic was right behind me and got torched as well. I found that slightly humorous.) before I choose one to use often.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think FJ with the Gunslinger is very good. The mini-sentry is good for assisting, but not for getting kills. Also, since you're playing offensively, only 3 shots before a reload can get you into trouble.

I just use the Shotgun or Widowmaker.. I like the Widowmaker because as long as I hit my target I get more metal.. And I don't have to reload. And as for the Shotgun. I find it even better to have 6 shots.. I really dislike losing my clips. Kind of like the Rocket Launcher compared to the Black Box. I don't think that 45 health is worth losing one rocket.. I prefer to have all of my rockets, and then when I lose my clip I switch to Shotgun.Also for the new guys, if anyone is interested add me on Steam.. Right now my current name is "[TBBCs] Garda" With the same avatar as mine on BZP. I'll help you as well.. Especially on Scout, Soldier, Demo, Sniper, Medic, and maybe a bit of Spy. :P

Guess who's back?

(>^.^)> It's Magic. ~(._.~)

Not me.