Oko's Comics :)

Onaku

I've read both parts of the pilot and man, are you onto something here. A former comic maker struggling to move on and resist the pull of his former passion sounds like a hopeful premise. It goes to show that sometimes, you don't necessarily have to move on from the things you love. If you love doing those things, maybe give them another chance.

Also, I gotta comment on the art direction. Razor is a charming little throwback kit and one of my personal favorites, so I was glad to see it here. I also liked that you made use of the character angle rotations, such as the side view of the head. Razor's always felt a little stiff without those, so I stand by your kit choice even more with that. The backgrounds are great, too! It doesn't look like it's made in GIMP, but rather if you spent some quality time in MSPaint, which I consider a good thing. The simple, yet upgraded visuals are a great callback to the classic comics of old, like early Dark709, VakamaTK, Blade Titan, etc. You have shadows, lighting, and shading that give your settings a noticeable sense of depth.

And do you have any idea how relatable those two comics were? I mean, tough job hunting aside (I'm thankfully employed), I definitely sit and wonder where the time's gone. I first got into comic making right before the first big forum reconstruction, so near the tail-end of the comic era. The few years I spent making comics were so much fun, even if my comics weren't good. It was still cool to make friends and read their comics and check up on the big-shots every once in while. I still wish that one day, the Comics Forum would gain new life in the next generation of comic makers; aspiring content creators of varying skills coming together in one place to have fun and appreciate the medium.

I'll be honest, I've been wanting to go back to comic making. I kept telling myself that I'd be wasting my time, that nobody would even see the comics, and that the age of BZPower comics had come and gone and I enjoyed it while it lasted. However, I also told myself that there was nothing stopping me. I have all my old sprites, I have GIMP, and I have time. I starting laying down the groundwork for a new series; gathering resources, coloring sprites, relearning GIMP. I left my work alone for over a week, but now that you've come along, I feel inspired to go back in and make a comic.

As for you, I'll be following your new project and seeing where it goes. Best of luck to you!

• Like 3

mindeth the cobwebs

Well now, this is some vintage style comic here. I'm certainly starting to feel my age thinking about those days. :v

Nice to see a bit of life return to the old stomping grounds, too. Who knows, maybe this is the beginning of a resurgence for the comics section. I for one will be keeping an eye on this thread for updates.

20 hours ago, Sybre said:

A former comic maker struggling to move on and resist the pull of his former passion

I feel personally attacked.

• Like 1

UnsuspectingButts.thumb.png.2a71dabd3565a645b7127215b282d46b.png

• 10 months later...

Man. This is an amazing start! Keep it up! I had comics at the end of the good ol' days. Then life got busy and they just went by the wayside. You can still read them here though, strangely enough, lol Sometimes I feel like I could get back to making comics, but I rarely have time even for writing my novel and making music... You've gotten me all sentimental and nostalgic now, lol I will keep an eye on these though! I'd love to see where this series goes :)

My comics: Kazi's Comics 3.0

My music: T-MG Music

"And now for something completely different."

-- Monty Python