LEGO Buys Bricklink

I'm pretty sure that years ago this headline was an April Fools joke, but today it is completely serious. As announced on the LEGO Ambassador Network, The LEGO Group has purchased Bricklink from Korean company NXMH. In the release, CEO Niels B Christiansen and Chief Marketing Officer Julia Goldin both talk about how they look forward to this acquisition bringing them closer to their adult fans and providing another channel to interact with them. They also seem like they plan on keeping stud.io, Bricklink's digital building software, around - maybe they'll use it to replace the aging LEGO Digital Designer? In addition, the purchase of Bricklink also includes Sohobricks, which makes its own bricks that are compatible with LEGO bricks. I feel like this purchase could cause big waves in the fan community and it will be very interesting to see how it plays out.

View the full article

I don't know if you guys noticed, but last month Lego cracked down on fans using their trademarks for 3D printed parts on Shapeways. I can't help but feel like this acquisition is in the same vein, and it doesn't make me like it any more. I worry about prices and especially fan-made parts on the site, and I really hope that Stud.io benefits from this rather than being forgotten like LDD.

All I can opine of this is...

LEGO® DIGITAL DESIGNER

2004 - 2019[2016]

You've been dead for a while, but now it's official. May you detonate MOCs in space and swarm LEGO Ideas forever.

I'm Vrokdann in Skyrise: Ascent, and Luntep in the BZPRPG.

[sigfig in tunnel]

My profile pic's a cool little thing I made called Bettani. That thing up there's just a me inside a tunnel.

When I first saw this I definitely thought it was a link to an April Fool's day article.

Honestly I'm not 100% sure what LEGO gets out of this deal beyond access to data, which could be very valuable. I don't think we'll be seeing any immediate changes, but we'll just have to wait and see I guess.