Bionicle and Lego episode on "The Toys That Made Us"

bohrokmaster

I watched it with my parents:

Show starts moving through the 90's and getting to the early 2000's... I start getting excited.

*Christian Faber shows up* I yell something about "The man himself!"

My parents stare at me confused, and somehow the revelation that Bionicle was inspired by Faber's tumor on the TV show make them even more confused to what I have been talking about since I was a little kid in 2001. I try and explain it all, but after 18 years on since the franchise launched I still can't adequately explain to them how Bionicle's story works.

*Confused that most of the footage in the episode was from G2. 

• Upvote 2

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

1 hour ago, Axelford said:

Yeah I was also annoyed that Netflix was lazy and used G2 footage. Still a good episode.

I wonder if there was a resolution issue. Most G1 stuff was made pre-HD televisions... while G2 was made in an era where high resolution TV was the standard... Still think the G1 stuff would have better fit the narration of the episode though; even if they included a bit of G2 to sprinkle in for the pretty HD shots. 

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

It was an okay episode.  I seem to recall them reiterating over and over the old AFOL complaint that Bionicle was not "real" Lego even tho it saved the company.  In the end, I didn't really get much new info out of the episode, but then again it was probably aimed at normal people who don't immerse their lives in Lego news.

:music:

On 1/5/2020 at 6:30 PM, Laval- Master of Energy said:

It was stuff I already knew, but I was strangely satisfied when I watched the episode. Maybe that was because we're actually getting acknowledged by more "normal" people instead of other weird, nerdy, types like us.

I don't think we are that weird! :P

• 1 month later...

While I love The Toys That Made Us, one of the major trappings of the show is that they really only have 45-60 minutes to cover the history of some of these brands.   Much like the Transformers one and how they really touched only the 90s for a sentence or two, it's tough to cover brands that have been around for 30+ years in that little allocated time, let alone a brand like LEGO that compared to everything else on The Toys That Made Us, is the oldest of them all

It's one of those things that Bionicle if anything should have it's own episode one day, enough meat on the bone with the history of Lego's financial issues in the late 90s and the lore to make something fun and entertaining.

Edited by Proto Man

JAT3Ke.gif
Protoman's Twitter: @Protoman
Transformers Slag Podcast: The Latest Transformers News hosted by Protoman!

• 1 month later...

I quite disliked "The Toys That Made Us". Its editing and fact-checking was sub-youtube in a lot of parts and for the most part it served as yet another nostalgia party for Gen X'ers who have all of modern pop culture to tell them how special and iconic their childhood toys are. As such, I was unsurprised when they used random gen 2 footage throughout their Bionicle sections as well as implied that Bionicle strayed to far from the brick and as such with the theme of the episode, was a misstep. 

Perhaps I'm projecting but I felt an undertone of "Bionicle was popular but it wasn't real Lego like we(the target demo of Gen X'ers) grew up with". 

• Upvote 1

Jaller Inika looks like C-3PO and I hate it.

Was this the program that kept showing G2 footage while talking about G1? That's what really bothered me.

Still, there is something vindicating about the outside world acknowledging LEGO. IHE covered Mask of Light for his "Search for the Worst" (based on its IMDB rating) and concluded that, while it wasn't amazing, it didn't belong on a series about bad movies.

• Like 1

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

30 minutes ago, Master Inika said:

Was this the program that kept showing G2 footage while talking about G1? That's what really bothered me.

Yuuuuupppp

32 minutes ago, Master Inika said:

Still, there is something vindicating about the outside world acknowledging LEGO.

Yea, it's actually kinda odd how the long-standing #1 toy brand gets very little media attention, so it is kinda hype when it's there.

Jaller Inika looks like C-3PO and I hate it.

• 1 month later...