Cyan Games + More

Emzee

Hey BZPower. 

what_year_is_it.jpg

It's been a heck of a long while since I've posted anything there. And after years of different PMs going unanswered (sorry), I've finally taken the time to see how many old fangames I could dig up. The point of this is just really for nostalgia. Looking through them takes me back to simpler times.  

There's no chance that I'm going back to updating that software library anymore. I've more-or-less ridden off into the sunset. But I can at least leave something here and maybe a new topic where people just share old fangames can take its place.

Here's the Drive link of games that I've booted up and deemed safe to share. Be sure to look at the Readme document and share this link around: Link

Games that I have but won't include:

Toa's Quest 3. This game just gave a black screen of death whenever I try to run it. If you think you can fix it and you're not too worried about your own computer, PM me and I'll send it to you as-is. You'll have to run it at your own risk though. 

Dark709's Comics The Game: This one really did a number on my machine. I don't recommend anyone take this file. But if you have an old computer to experiment on, PM me and I can send you this game. 

Destiny War 2: Something got corrupted with this one and I can't get it to run. Surprising since it's an RPG Maker XP game and RPG Maker games have shown to be much more resilient than GameMaker or Multimedia Fusion games. 

Asks:

• Any copy of Bionicle: The Infestation pre-Silver Edition (released around 2006) would be greatly appreciated.
  • Like 10

"hey girl: here’s an idea, but… it’s up to you:

You’re the boss of this operation."

[BZPRPG Profile] [Ghosts of Bara Magna Profile]

Thanks for posting this! It's always great to see some of the classics preserved!

As far as Toa's Quest 3 - I have a copy of the three executables for that game and an .ini file that changes some settings. I haven't tinkered too much with it, but the game runs for me (I'm using windows 10), with the only problem being that it's scaled horribly incorrectly for my display (I guess widescreen support wasn't the biggest priority for fan games in 2008 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯). I'm rather curious if you have similar issues, or if my old copy is just slightly less broken than yours for some strange reason.

Edited by BULiK
  • Like 1

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

46 minutes ago, BULiK said:

As far as Toa's Quest 3 - I have a copy of the three executables for that game and an .ini file that changes some settings. I haven't tinkered too much with it, but the game runs for me (I'm using windows 10), with the only problem being that it's scaled horribly incorrectly for my display (I guess widescreen support wasn't the biggest priority for fan games in 2008 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯). I'm rather curious if you've similar issues, or if my old copy is just slightly less broken than yours for some strange reason.

Thanks -- you helped me fix my problem. Seeing your troubles with the display made me realize that that's actually the only issue. The music and controls work, just can't see anything. So, I turned off my newer graphics driver, used the default driver, and the game started working (or at least started up and was visible). I knew my comp sci degree was good for something!

I still don't know if TQ3's the safest though, so I'll keep testing. If the display's the only problem I could probably host it. 

Edited by Emzee
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not entirely sure how I missed this!

@Emzee I have a few assorted BZP games from ~2009 in various backups. Interestingly, KraataAttackV1 vs your V2 above.

I also still have everything from Biotech. The Insurgent (still online), Havoc, Bionicle: Duel Combat, etc. Have all the concepts and unreleased stuff too if I can get it into a presentable form. ;)

Edited by Iruini Nuva
  • Like 7

Makuta: Consumed By LightRebrick EntryTopic & BackstoryBlog
-----------------
2015 Sets: 18/18 + 3 • Polybags: 1/2 • SDCC x2, NYCC Clear MoF, Trans-MoF
2016 Sets: 17/17 + 6

I for one would love to see some of those unreleased details of Biotech's projects - your games fascinated me as a kid and I still think the Insurgent is the most visually polished game from the golden era of FCG. I'm glad that the old website is still up (Well, mostly). Looking back at those sites really is a time capsule of a different internet.

Honestly, any sort of internal concepts or even some sort of retrospective on what it was like to create those classic fan games is especially interesting to me now that I'm getting my own compsci degree.

• Like 2

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

Guess I’m not the only one with fond memories of those imaginary worlds we created. :happy:

Glad to have been a part of Cyan.  I put the experience on my resume. :rolleyes:

Did you know that some maniac recreated the RM2k(3) engine for web browsers?  I think it actually works, too: Demo / Docs

So, if one needed a weekend project, it would probably be possible for our old games to be made playable instantly via a web link.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/26/2020 at 3:34 AM, Toa of Mirrors said:

When you say Dark709's did a number on your machine, did you mean it had a virus?

No virus that my machine detected. When I tried to run it, I had a heck of a time actually closing it, and of course it wasn't doing anything. It could've be a Windows 10 thing.

On 2/26/2020 at 9:08 AM, Valendale said:

I don't know if I'll ever find the time to play any of these at this point, but it's really cool of you to post something like this. I love old parts of the community being dug up!

Yeah, all of these games just take me back to simpler times. Fan Created Games was a big part of my teenage years so I felt I needed to keep these somewhere where they'd last. 

On 4/15/2020 at 3:35 PM, Iruini Nuva said:

Not entirely sure how I missed this!

@Emzee I have a few assorted BZP games from ~2009 in various backups. Interestingly, KraataAttackV1 vs your V2 above.

I also still have everything from Biotech. The Insurgent (still online), Havoc, Bionicle: Duel Combat, etc. Have all the concepts and unreleased stuff too if I can get it into a presentable form. ;)

Lol, just post it all like I did and let the folks sort through it! :D But yeah, going back and reading through my old Influx documents was quite a trip. I'd bet you guys had some crazy ambitious ideas like I did.

On 4/18/2020 at 2:27 PM, Takua95 said:

Guess I’m not the only one with fond memories of those imaginary worlds we created. :happy:

Glad to have been a part of Cyan.  I put the experience on my resume. :rolleyes:

Did you know that some maniac recreated the RM2k(3) engine for web browsers?  I think it actually works, too: Demo / Docs

So, if one needed a weekend project, it would probably be possible for our old games to be made playable instantly via a web link.

Tempting... Easy RPG looks like a really amazing project. I wonder how it would handle all the weird custom menu stuff I tried to do :lol:  

Edited by Emzee
  • Like 3

On 4/15/2020 at 1:35 PM, Iruini Nuva said:

I also still have everything from Biotech. … Have all the concepts and unreleased stuff too if I can get it into a presentable form. ;)

@Iruini Nuva I would certainly be interested to see that stuff!

My old self checked this board almost every single day to scrounge for new topics, screenshots, and demos.  When The Insurgent and Havoc dropped, it must have been like European first contact with the Japanese; I don’t think I’d ever seen so many particles and lighting effects in any non-commercial product before!

Speaking of design documents, @Emzee, the Influx ones you posted really got me fired up!  Years ago, after I read Swords and Circuitry, I was totally scribbling storylines and decision trees onto scratch paper under dim light into the night, expecting them to eventually materialize into documents like your “Introduction.docx” and “Part One.docx.”  But then I had to finish some stupid homework assignments instead, or I got bored or something.  :hehe-sign:

On 5/10/2020 at 8:32 PM, Emzee said:

Tempting... Easy RPG looks like a really amazing project. I wonder how it would handle all the weird custom menu stuff I tried to do :lol:  

Good point.  We can extend that “weekend” time estimate by a few months for QA, re-learning C++, and patching the browser engine.

Also, congrats to everyone on their in-progress or completed computer science degrees.  :udaman:

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

This is incredibly, incredibly nostalgic. I was thinking back to when I was single-digit age on this forum and couldn't have been more pleasantly surprised to see all this uploaded. @Emzee @Takua95 I believe I did some beta testing for Cyan back in the day, not sure if y'all remember or not but those were some of my treasured childhood memories; thanks so much to you all, Cyan, and BZP as a whole for being part of it all. Hope everyone's doing well still in 2020.

I remember being a big fan of Biotech as well so please do post everything if you have the time, I'd love to play through it all again! @Iruini Nuva

Best wishes to everyone still around and kickin. Time to go play FotR and Infestation again~

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2020 at 4:46 PM, Takowa said:

This is incredibly, incredibly nostalgic. I was thinking back to when I was single-digit age on this forum and couldn't have been more pleasantly surprised to see all this uploaded. @Emzee @Takua95 I believe I did some beta testing for Cyan back in the day, not sure if y'all remember or not but those were some of my treasured childhood memories; thanks so much to you all, Cyan, and BZP as a whole for being part of it all. Hope everyone's doing well still in 2020.

I remember being a big fan of Biotech as well so please do post everything if you have the time, I'd love to play through it all again! @Iruini Nuva

Best wishes to everyone still around and kickin. Time to go play FotR and Infestation again~

I appreciate the well wishes. Glad some of that work made an impact!

On 5/12/2020 at 9:58 PM, Takua95 said:

Speaking of design documents, @Emzee, the Influx ones you posted really got me fired up!  Years ago, after I read Swords and Circuitry, I was totally scribbling storylines and decision trees onto scratch paper under dim light into the night, expecting them to eventually materialize into documents like your “Introduction.docx” and “Part One.docx.”  But then I had to finish some stupid homework assignments instead, or I got bored or something.  :hehe-sign:

Yeah, gets the best of all of us. :lol:

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

oh gosh, late to the party here but I'm really glad the rm2k3 version of the infestation is still floating around

I hope one day some 2002-2004 era bionicle RPGmaker games can be recovered............. I have a few of them but I think most of them have silly stuff edited in by me as a kid.

• 1 month later...
On 11/13/2020 at 2:46 PM, Takowa said:

Thank you for the well wishes, Takowa.  I am striving to do more well, every day, in 2021.

Too often I foolishly dismissed feedback I received.  Nowadays it can be a challenge to even recruit employees where I work to test my stuff.  Thanks for jumping in as a collaborator all those years ago!  It is becoming clearer to me that eager collaborators are invaluable, professionally, too.