Creepiest moments in Bionicle

Lenny7092

Hi, guys. You ever find something creepy in Bionicle? It’s supposed to be kid-friendly, but there are times in the stories where we can feel uncomfortable because we noticed that there is something creepy about something. Here are some creepiest moments that I can think of: 

1. The Av-Matoran turning Bohrok in 2008. Why turn normal people into mindless drones? That’s sad. 
2. The Bohrok launching their Krana, which are their brains, at people. Ew. Plus, the Bohrok-Kal’s Krana-Kal can talk without their hosts. 
3. In the Mask of Light movie, how the Rahkshi open their metal heads to show their Kraata is scary. It could give you nightmares. 
4. Karzahni’s realm - This one is where Matoran get fixed in a wrong way thanks to Karzahni’s horrible repairing skills. Plus, his mask looks like that it’s made of three or four masks. Everything in that place is messed up, like Frankenstein. Plus, when Karzahni got mutated, he looks like a freak of nature. 
5. The Barraki - “the Creeps of the Deep”. Lol. 
6. Hordika Venom - mutations are sad to look at. Roodaka and the Visorak like to play around with them. 

7. The Pit Mutagen - mutations are quite scary. 
8. How the Mask of Life got fused to the back of Vezon’s head and how it fused him with Fenrakk’s back. Disgusting. 
9. Takutanuva - in the Mask of Light movie, he’s like Frankenstein. 
10. The Makuta’s Shadow Hands - this is a way that Makuta eat people. 
11. Makuta Mutran’s and Makuta Teridax’s experiments - they like to create weird stuff. 
12. The Energized Protodermis - it’s a substance that can talk and form shapes. 
13. Tren Krom - he’s a creature that is stuck on an island and has weird eyes. 
14. Annona - she does mind-based stuff and caused the Dreaming Plague. 
15. The Golden-Skinned Fusion - He mind-controlled the Toa Mahri to be his followers. 

16. Irnakk - he’s an embodiment of fear. 

17. Vezon’s antics - he likes to kill people. Plus, he had an Olmak fused to his body. 
18. Umarak the Destroyer - He’s just plain scary. His face looks like that the Mask of Control got fused to it. 
19. The Mask of Reanimation - This Mask can reanimate dead beings, as in zombies. Matoro was forced by Makuta Teridax to reanimate an alternate Tuyet. 
20. How’s Dark Mirror’s Tuyet died. She got sliced in half by the Olmak’s closing portal when she tried to stop Takanuva from going to his dimension. 

That’s all I can think of. What creeps you out?

Edited by Lenny7092

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Web of Shadows freaked me out as a kid, and when I tried to show it to my sister later, she got freaked out. It might be my favorite of the four movies, but jump scares are "cheap" IMO. 

One thing that freaked me out in one of the Ignition books was that one moment when Avak(?) is screaming but doesn't realize it's him. Majorly intense when you're 9 :) 

Sig..gif.a3346491b24c9bc3827e18c57ef3b7ff.gif.6f7ce54313e70f1931299845e4d29d20.gif

Oh yeah, I'd agree that Karzahni's realm is definitely a contender. Particularly the part of it where, if Matoran stand around for too long, they slowly turn to stone while the stone around them gradually starts to move with their absorbed life energy. That was possibly one of the most disconcerting things to me, honestly.

Oh, and! Honourable mention for the Comet Sickness in MNOG, I would say. As a child, I found that part quite disturbing, made all the more so by getting to actually see Huki with the illness; the way he was coughing horribly, and had the splotches of sickness on his mask... overlaid by those occasional haunting tones that were the only music you got in Po-Koro.

Edited by That Matoran with a Vahi

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

On 3/11/2020 at 7:49 AM, That Matoran with a Vahi said:

Oh yeah, I'd agree that Karzahni's realm is definitely a contender. Particularly the part of it where, if Matoran stand around for too long, they slowly turn to stone while the stone around them gradually starts to move with their absorbed life energy. That was possibly one of the most disconcerting things to me, honestly.

Oh, and! Honourable mention for the Comet Sickness in MNOG, I would say. As a child, I found that part quite disturbing, made all the more so by getting to actually see Huki with the illness; the way he was coughing horribly, and had the splotches of sickness on his mask... overlaid by those occasional haunting tones that were the only music you got in Po-Koro.

That's true. Ga-Koro got happy music after you rescued them, I wonder why Po-Koro didn't.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

On 3/10/2020 at 10:41 PM, MoarBotar said:

One thing that freaked me out in one of the Ignition books was that one moment when Avak(?) is screaming but doesn't realize it's him. Majorly intense when you're 9 :) 

That was Hakann if I'm not mistaken, and it was when he first bumped into Irnakk (a logical reaction imo)

Also add to that in "Island of Doom" Avak was remembering the time that Zaktan used his protodites to "eat" a Toa of Plasma. They didn't exactly say that's what happened, but it was heavily implied! :eek:

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

This is weird, I struggled for a long time to think of what moments I thought of as creepy in Bionicle when I was a kid after seeing this post for the first time... and I really couldn't think of anything that jumped out at me. Then I started to think of the world when Bionicle launched... and yeah. Turns out seeing 9/11 happen live on TV when you are 7 years old changed my perspective on things as a kid... more than I think I am honestly willing to admit. Bionicle seemed like a safe comforting adventure compared to the creepiness of the real world for me as a kid.  

• Like 1

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

Creepiest part of Bionicle for me, ever since I was a kid, is right after the Battle of the Kini-Nui in MNOG when you have to go through a completely abandoned Onu-Koro to get to the opened sundial room, the golden mask inside of which now nowhere to be seen. It's creepy for a number of reasons, after Maku wakes you up no one will have a proper conversation with you, if you click on them you just get a sentence or two long text bubble. There's a general feeling of being in the quiet before the storm. Miles below the surface of Mata-Nui, the Toa are about to fight an entity so powerful that merely stepping into his inner realm was enough to dissolve the Toa-Kaita. Stuff like this is why I love 2001, but admittedly without Templar to flesh out and embellish the relatively simple story, Bionicle very well could have just been another forgettable line like Robo Riders/Throwbots. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

1. The hand Matoro held in that perpetually dark tunnel on the way to Karzahni in Dark Destiny that didn’t belong to anybody. We later found out it was the Ignika reaching out to him from afar, but it was pretty disturbing at the time.

2. In the epilogue of Legacy of Evil (I think) when the Piraka are heading down the 777 stairs, and Zaktan hears laughter in his head, and suddenly realizes it’s not his own (it’s Teridax).

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

On 3/16/2020 at 2:12 PM, Xboxtravis said:

This is weird, I struggled for a long time to think of what moments I thought of as creepy in Bionicle when I was a kid after seeing this post for the first time... and I really couldn't think of anything that jumped out at me. Then I started to think of the world when Bionicle launched... and yeah. Turns out seeing 9/11 happen live on TV when you are 7 years old changed my perspective on things as a kid... more than I think I am honestly willing to admit. Bionicle seemed like a safe comforting adventure compared to the creepiness of the real world for me as a kid.  

That's a good point. We eerie as all this stuff is, compared to the real world, LEGO did a pretty good job at making BIONICLE escapist action/adventure fluff to retreat to.

On 3/16/2020 at 3:15 PM, Jaekoff said:

Creepiest part of Bionicle for me, ever since I was a kid, is right after the Battle of the Kini-Nui in MNOG when you have to go through a completely abandoned Onu-Koro to get to the opened sundial room, the golden mask inside of which now nowhere to be seen. It's creepy for a number of reasons, after Maku wakes you up no one will have a proper conversation with you, if you click on them you just get a sentence or two long text bubble. There's a general feeling of being in the quiet before the storm. Miles below the surface of Mata-Nui, the Toa are about to fight an entity so powerful that merely stepping into his inner realm was enough to dissolve the Toa-Kaita. Stuff like this is why I love 2001, but admittedly without Templar to flesh out and embellish the relatively simple story, Bionicle very well could have just been another forgettable line like Robo Riders/Throwbots. 

After the Rahi battle, when no one will talk too much to Takua, sort of recreates what it's like to have anxiety for me. It briefly reminds me that Takua, for all his heroics, is still an outcast to everyone else. Just the way that everyone isn't explicitly mean or rude to him, just short in their responses, really feels to me like they're brushing him off. Like, he's served his purpose, now we can go back to ignoring him. Maybe I'm reading too much into this. For what it's worth, I always felt like Takua himself would take this in stride.

• Like 1

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

2 hours ago, Zidonaro said:

Honestly for me these Crystal Temples used to terrify me, the sound ambiance and atmosphere gave goosebumps.

Sem título.png

Yeah. They’re so dark that it’s scary. You would be thinking “Oh, what’s behind this door” and if you try to open it, some monster would come and eat you. Lol. But, really. One can think like that when you go around unlocking temples. Plus, when Hahli uses the crystal to light up the Toa Stone statues, this caused her to have a vision of the spooky dark dream that she had at the beginning of the game and then teleported to Kini-Nui in a dark and cloudy day where you see three Rahkshi flying to somewhere, and then Hahli ended up back in Ga-Koro right before the game ended. 

Speaking of Mata Nui Online Games, Takua has some other creepy experiences. He had a dream of the Bohrok symbol before Matoro woke him up. Then, after Makuta’s defeat, Takua witnessed the Bohrok waking up in the dark, and he runs away for his life. Takua probably had traumatic experiences with the Bohrok before the events of the Bohrok Animations in 2002.

There are a lot I can think of, but Miserix getting turned into a living portrait strikes me as a pretty messed up example. The lack of explanation or build-up was what made it so startling. Just, "Teridax is a god. This is how reality works now."

I'd say the only thing that really gave me the creeps in Bionicle was the music that plays when inspecting the telescope in MNOG.

It's surprisingly forebording and anxiety-inducing even listening to it today; like you shouldn't even be messing with the prophecies this thing can show you in the constellations. Plus the telescope interface itself feels very alien; too futuristic-looking to feel like it belongs on a primitive tropical island...

There's also the Draw a Piraka and Barraki introduction thing on Bionicle.com, but they were more jump-scary than genuinely creepy.

Edited by Distorted

Annona.  Just...everything about Annona.  The idea of a creature driving you insane with such a subtle and benign change over time is pretty disturbing

like the mental equivalent of a frog in a boiling pot.

All fueled by no other motive than to simply feed, over and over again.  Her, Tren Krom, and Irnakk were pretty much my first exposures to Lovecraftian horror as a kid.  Good stuff.

• Like 1

mtmte.gif

On 3/10/2020 at 12:04 AM, Master Inika said:

Surprised you didn't include Makuta tempting Takua in the cave.

There’s also the part in the Mask of Light where you hear Teridax’s voice when the Turahk tried to kill Takua before Jaller sacrificed himself to save Takua.

Edited by Lenny7092