Teridax 'training'?

Okay, so if Makuta Teridax was destined to take over the Mata Nui robot, why was he so inexperienced at it when he got to the top? You would think that if the Great Beings wanted him to do it, then they would have given him some training on How To Operate a Giant Robot. But Tahu said that there was a learning curve involved. When Makuta got there, there was a learning curve involved, to the point where it was awhile before he could even get the robot's sensor's working. His knowledge of the inside of himself was imperfect and incomplete, allowing the Toa to escape capture. Given that the mission that that robot was on was vital, it would have been important (if there were two robots as originally planned) to know the work of operating the Mata Nui robot and putting the planet parts back together, it just seems odd that he didn't know this. Why is that?

Edited by fishers64

If Makuta had instantly known how to operate the MU, everyone would be screwed and there wouldn't be much of a story. :P (Actually, I always found the idea of Makuta's destiny odd; why couldn't he be transferred into the third robot, leaving Mata Nui to control his own body? Oh, those Great Beings...)In all seriousness and assuming that everything in BIONICLE happened for an in-story reason, possibly Makuta didn't follow his destiny closely enough. Perhaps, if he had stuck closer to it and been a person who could responsibly command a universe, he would have been imbued with the knowledge. As it happened, he turned sociopathic and evil, so that didn't work out for him. XD

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

I'm a bit rusty on Bionicle lore as I haven't followed it for a year or two, but in addition to being destined to take over the mata nui robot, wouldn't Teridax also be destined to lose? Thus, it wouldn't make sense for him to be proficient at wielding the robot initially.I'm not sure I completely understand what you're asking, but that is my take on the robot inexperience bit.

Nobody is perfect, and I am nobody. Therefore I am perfect.~Omi (Logic)

It's a good question, and my theory is that Mata Nui was supposed to train Terry to run the Universe, but since he was put to sleep, died, then banished, he could never have. In addition to that, once possessing the robot, the systems could have transferred the knowledge to but, remember, the databanks or memory files of the robot were damaged during the crash, so Terry had to learn from scratch. There's my two cents. signoffffff.png

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

JAY318, Makuta was supposed to peacefully take control of the Mata Nui Robot (so he never had to be defeated). Unfortunately, the Great Beings couldn't really prevent Makuta's evil, so he ended up taking the Universe forcibly. With Mata Nui's cooperation, Makuta would likely have had some assistance in Makuta's learning how to control the robot, but Makuta deprived himself of that by wresting the Universe from the comatose Mata Nui through evil means.It's worth noting that Mata Nui was the one who created the Makuta species, so the duty of training Teridax almost certainly would have fallen on him.~ BioGio

"You're a scientist? The proposal you make violates parsimony; it introduces extra unknowns without proof for them. One might as well say unicorns power it."

Most likely it's impossible to train for without having control of a robot while training. And you seem to be assuming the destiny intended for him to be good as he did it, but destiny may have accounted for if he was evil (especially since it worked), as a contingency. In that case it would make sense he'd have trouble.It's even possible they did have a Matrix-style training upload system ready if he was good, so then it would have been easier. Since he was evil, we didn't get to see that if it is true.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I don't think it was really necessary for Teridax to 'train' much. Sure, operating a giant robot can't be that easy, but then again, the only thing Teridax should have done was use gravity powers on Bota Magna and Aqua Magna and perhaps fly. And it doesn't say anywhere that Teridax wasn't capable of doing those things right from the start (remember, he didn't immediately start conquering worlds only because he wanted to quell every rebellion in the MU first).What it does say is that Teridax probably had to learn controlling what was inside him. However, keep in mind two things:1)We don't know if the third robot, which Teridax had to control and which was never built, had something like the MU inside. It's likely, but not certain, especially since it was needed only for a short time (the time necessary to accomplish the Melding). So perhaps Teridax was never meant to have to control something like the MU.2)Even if there had been a micro universe inside him, Teridax probably wasn't supposed to deal with it much. He would just have had to maintain the same, 'default' conditions inside, and the rest of the work would be done by Matoran and the likes of them. However, when he took control of the Mata Nui robot, he actually had to affect it more than he was supposed to, in order to defeat the rebels (for example, in RoS 1 Teridax makes the earth swallow Guardian. But if he hadn't gone bad, there wouldn't have been the need to learn how to make the earth swallow someone, for there wouldn't have been any enemy to swallow).

632461607_Bannerdefinitivopiccolo.png.8e4bc632ba965c6eaef9247ce71df1d7.png
My collection of epics: The Sanctum of Writing

The first robot exploded and thus couldn't be used until Mata Nui reassembled it. Tren Krom controlled the MU for a while while Mata Nui was being created. The Great Beings then sent the Mata Nui off into space to do his mission. It was Mata Nui himself that created the Makuta species. Whatever destiny they may have had was out fo the Great Being's control. And since Mata Nui wasn't really going to hand over control to a Makuta just like that, Teridax of course never got any training. Sure, he might have been destined to control a giant robot "universe" at some point, but as we have seen in BIONICLE, not all destinies play out the way you think they will. So Teridax ended up taking his 'bot by force, with no training behind him.

Destiny is even out of control of the Great Beings. And even so, he may have been destined to take over the MU robot, but was never given prior knowledge upon how to work it properly.

Nuparu1995

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

320px-0,540,38,392-Batman_memorial.jpg

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012

I don't think it was really necessary for Teridax to 'train' much. Sure, operating a giant robot can't be that easy, but then again, the only thing Teridax should have done was use gravity powers on Bota Magna and Aqua Magna and perhaps fly. And it doesn't say anywhere that Teridax wasn't capable of doing those things right from the start (remember, he didn't immediately start conquering worlds only because he wanted to quell every rebellion in the MU first).What it does say is that Teridax probably had to learn controlling what was inside him. However, keep in mind two things:1)We don't know if the third robot, which Teridax had to control and which was never built, had something like the MU inside. It's likely, but not certain, especially since it was needed only for a short time (the time necessary to accomplish the Melding). So perhaps Teridax was never meant to have to control something like the MU.2)Even if there had been a micro universe inside him, Teridax probably wasn't supposed to deal with it much. He would just have had to maintain the same, 'default' conditions inside, and the rest of the work would be done by Matoran and the likes of them. However, when he took control of the Mata Nui robot, he actually had to affect it more than he was supposed to, in order to defeat the rebels (for example, in RoS 1 Teridax makes the earth swallow Guardian. But if he hadn't gone bad, there wouldn't have been the need to learn how to make the earth swallow someone, for there wouldn't have been any enemy to swallow).

Your argument hinges on the idea that Teridax was to control the mysterious Third Robot. Actually, his destiny was always to take over the MU while Mata Nui transferred his own spirit into the Third Robot. Why the GBs gave them this convoluted, body-swapping destiny, I'm not sure, but I am entirely sure that Greg confirmed the Third Robot was for Mata Nui. Trust me, I used to check the OGD every single day for years. XD
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

"Welcome to the MU massive robotic universe. Would you like me to run the tutorial program?"But seriously, even if Makuta had trained and thought this through, I'm sure it would be a terribly jarring experience. You go from controlling a small body to a massive robot that you used to live inside. "Look down, there's the sea way way below. Getting dizzy?""Yeah, a little.""Well don't fall down, cause the last time that happened the entire universe was thrown into a thousand-year dark age.""Oh, good advice.""And while your at it, keep in mind that you have to manage the lives of several million beings and natural processes inside you. Good luck!"I don't think any amount of training could prepare Makuta for that.-don't touch my pocket protector

Three great comedies at one low, low price....NOTHING!

Three late-middle age matoran think of something they want to do before they kick the bucket.

Choose Your Own Bionicle Adventure (archived)

Navigate your way through a myriad of meaningless choices as you try to not make a fool of yourself in perhaps the only comedy ever written almost entirely in spoiler tags.

Useless BZP Junk that you Must Have!!!

Get to your phone, whip out your credit card, and prepare to buy some useless BZPower related junk that has no benefit on society except that you want it!!!

joehalobanner.jpg

"Welcome to the MU massive robotic universe. Would you like me to run the tutorial program?"But seriously, even if Makuta had trained and thought this through, I'm sure it would be a terribly jarring experience. You go from controlling a small body to a massive robot that you used to live inside. "Look down, there's the sea way way below. Getting dizzy?""Yeah, a little.""Well don't fall down, cause the last time that happened the entire universe was thrown into a thousand-year dark age.""Oh, good advice.""And while your at it, keep in mind that you have to manage the lives of several million beings and natural processes inside you. Good luck!"I don't think any amount of training could prepare Makuta for that.-don't touch my pocket protector

XD Man, now I want to see that in either a short story or comic...Anyway, I'm not going to repeat what everyone is saying, but another thing to keep in mind is that there's a difference between book-learning, and experience learning. I read how to drive a car, and studied, and even drove similar vehicles that worked roughly the same way. However, it was a whole other thing the first time I had to drive surrounded by strangers going 40+ MPH and had to put that book know-how to use instantly. I knew what to do, but I wasn't particularly graceful at it the first time and had a "learning curve" to conquer. And I didn't even have a riotous, rebelling group of passengers behind me doing everything they could to make me crash while I was driving for the first time. :P(Brief edit: To get back to the point, Makuta Teridax may have had the "book knowledge" to run the robot, but he still had to gain the experience and deal with factors he wasn't suppose to deal with before he could operate it efficiently) There's my thoughts on it. Edited by Jithra

He was supposed to operate a third robot, which I imagine they would've trained him to use, but it was never built. He didn't know how to use Mata Nui's.

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

Considering most beings forgot the MU was a robot, it's not that surprising Teridax didn't immediately know how to operate it. He may have known Mata Nui was supposed to teach him (if that was the case) and realized that, as Mata Nui paid no attention to the MU inhabitants, he probably would make some mistake there. Also, the GB's probably didn't expect Teridax to have to quickly take control of the MU. If Mata Nui got to spend thousands of years learning the secret to world peace, I think its understandable to give Teridax a month or so (less if he recieved instruction from Mata Nui) to learn how to operate the robot.

Read my comedy, about the Hero Factory villains watching a television channel produced by our Spherus Magnan friends!

The Bionicle Channel

"I expect that when I write my next entry in this chronicle, I will be writing as uncontested ruler of the Brotherhood."

-Certainty, my Memoirs of the Dead entry

Random theory: Perhaps the GBs intended Tren Krom to train Teridax?It could explain why, despite many things having gone wrong, Tren Krom felt the need to download information into a Makuta. Maybe he was supposed to download it into a good Teridax's mind.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Okay, so if Makuta Teridax was destined to take over the Mata Nui robot....

Wait, wait, wait.Since when?
Since he did. You cannot do something that you were not destined to do. The orginal plan was for Teridax to take over the Mata Nui robot, and for Mata Nui to take over another robot that the Great Beings had built. Edited by fishers64

You cannot do something that you were not destined to do.

That's not necessarily true, for the record, depending on what you mean by "something." Teridax wasn't destined to turn evil, for example, but whether good or bad, he would have taken over the Mata Nui robot to help reform Spherus Magna. Little things along those two different routes could have been done differently.

That's not necessarily true, for the record, depending on what you mean by "something." Teridax wasn't destined to turn evil, for example, but whether good or bad, he would have taken over the Mata Nui robot to help reform Spherus Magna. Little things along those two different routes could have been done differently.
Turning evil, killing thousands, and causing the Great Cataclysm being those "little things" along Teridax's route that he did differently. XD
-- Harlan Ellison

Turning evil, killing thousands, and causing the Great Cataclysm being those "little things" along Teridax's route that he did differently. XD
I stand corrected.However, I was correct about that original plan, this evil topic I made back in the archive not withstanding.

Destiny is an odd thing. Yes, somebody my be destined to do this or that, but what happens if they die or fail or turn evil? Well, they are still destined to do that thing, they just might not follow through. In a similar vein, I may be destined to drive a car (I hope), but I still have to go through a learning curve, and the car I'm learning in has quite a learning curve indeed. Eventually, I will fullfill my destiny by figuring out that darn clutch, but in the meantime, you better strap yourself in.-don't touch my pocket protector

Three great comedies at one low, low price....NOTHING!

Three late-middle age matoran think of something they want to do before they kick the bucket.

Choose Your Own Bionicle Adventure (archived)

Navigate your way through a myriad of meaningless choices as you try to not make a fool of yourself in perhaps the only comedy ever written almost entirely in spoiler tags.

Useless BZP Junk that you Must Have!!!

Get to your phone, whip out your credit card, and prepare to buy some useless BZPower related junk that has no benefit on society except that you want it!!!

joehalobanner.jpg

Okay, so if Makuta Teridax was destined to take over the Mata Nui robot....

Wait, wait, wait. Since when?
Since he did. You cannot do something that you were not destined to do. The orginal plan was for Teridax to take over the Mata Nui robot, and for Mata Nui to take over another robot that the Great Beings had built.
I'm pretty sure it said in dark Destiny or Island of Doom that the Inika were not destined to become Toa, but they defied destiny.Also, if you can't do something you're not destined to do, explain why the parallel universes had different outcomes.Also, I feel like you qoute me more often than anybody else on this site... Strange... Edited by knuckles chaotix

Word of Greg explains that destiny changes from universe to universe. In the Core Universe, Takua was destined to become Takanuva, and in the Dark Mirror world, he wasn't. Hence the awkward scene with the Avohkii.

-- Harlan Ellison

Remember what antidermis infected Brutaka said to Axon, he said ""I... we are the essence of the Makuta species. We know what they were meant to know, but have forgotten. We see the error. The flaws. So much to repair; but it cannot be done. Spherus Magna, the Shattering. The three that must be one; the two that must make them one. He must remember, he must be made to see, or the journey of 100,000 years will be for nothing." So when he was created, he was supposed to know how to achieve his destiny, but that knowledge was lost.:kakamanu: :t: :m_p: :n: :kakamanu:

Banner.jpeg

Yeah, the very fact that those are alternate dimensions answers the question before it's asked. :P They're alternate because they're not what happened in the Core Dimension.But again, it's not quite accurate to say you can't do anything you weren't destined to do. Destiny only decides certain major things, and doesn't decide all the other little things.