Bzprpg Chars Round #1:agni

Vezok's Friend

What's up, y'all?I'm back and after starting the New Year off with some fun art for the calendar project, I thought I'd colour some of my sketches from last year, starting with those of some of my characters in the BZP RPG.First up, Chief Warrant Officer Toa Agni of the Ta-Koro guard, doing some CSI work near the charred forest.http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/015/3/a/3ade6a4c62be701399dd2cb8e8713e49-d4mg4k3.pngNOTE: The filesize is a bit too large for direct display, according to the rules. So, deep-linked.About:Photoshop CS4Wacom Cintiq~8hrs spent colouringAs usual, I hope you like it, C&C are welcome and stay tuned for more art in the future!Cheers!-VF

Lillith.thumb.png.4ea877d95fad8df467748273ab43bc36.png

Very impressive! This is the first time I've seen your work; you do a good job of keeping the characters mechanical-looking without just looking like sets, and your coloring and lighting is very well-done.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

Ugh, how many times do I have to tell you.. you keep getting ridiculously better each time.This is so wonderful. He's so mysterious, and definitely nostalgic- I looked at the picture before reading the bit about the Charred Forest and Bam! It was like looking at Templar's stuff all over again. The designs of the armor are to die for, especially the Toa's. The far left arm and leg are just.. eargh. You've reduced me to primal grunts. I'm liking his kind of sassy pose, but that knee...You know I have a weakness for brushed metal *blushes*The story is great here (though the 'witness' Matoran's hand is a bit melodramatic) and the colors are stylistically perfect. It's atmospheric and ethereal (also because the Charred Forest was perfect) and I can just picture it the perfect place for murder.My only gripes: (and by god they are minor) Your hands always get a tiny bit too big as they reach the fingers, when most hands are generically squarish and only expand when the fingers are completely splayed with the thumb. This is nitpicky. Also the thumb of the Guard is very teeny and pointy. More nitpicking. The top of his staff could be cleaned up a bit, I can still see the dark gray outline, and also, one side has a base for the horn and the other does not, though I love that it is 3-toned. Once again, this is so picky and obviously deters nothing from the piece. The last thing is that the background is kind of weird, because you have three different thresholds of blurs going on. Your cloud brush and highlights should be the most drastically blurred, and then the trees a little less: as it is, it looks a bit like a .bmp you copied from Google and pasted in the background (though that can be construed as a compliment)But whatever. Don't pay those things too much attention, I probably didn't lavish enough praise on this (you) enough. Would love to see more color schemes done monochromatically for each character. Or at least somewhat based on one.The only thing I have left so say is this, I found no reason to use this emoticon but I shall regardless: :spank:

Thanks for the great critique UK! I'll try to keep your nitpickings in mind for the next time.You are right about most of the points. The top of the staff and hands were rushed, but time was a bit short.There is a base for the other horn but I guess it didn't come out as such.You're right about the tree and sky not matching as far as the depth of field is concerned as well. Though the clouds were not a bmp. I usually never use images or photos I did not make myself, aside from the odd texture here and there.Thanks again and I can assure there'll be more monochrome images on the way, once I get to my other characters.

The time you've spent shows- the amount of polish and attential to detail here is amazing. The hand in the forground is really effective at setting the mood and making the composition interesting, and as Uncle K. said the armor designs are great, you handle the joints quite nicely. That said, something about the shading bugs me... I'm tempted to not say anything since it might be more my own inexperience than any fault of your own. But, all the shading seems oddly smooth and... fuzzy. Even though most of the armor is rounded, it feels like there should be some sharper light/dark transitions somewhere. And it seems inconsistent in places- for example, the red cloth on the toa's left arm is mostly lit up, while the rest of said arm is mostly dark. There's also the matoran's upper left (our pov right) arm, which doesn't seem like it should be getting that much light from anywhere. That's all I can find to whine about.

The time you've spent shows- the amount of polish and attential to detail here is amazing. The hand in the forground is really effective at setting the mood and making the composition interesting, and as Uncle K. said the armor designs are great, you handle the joints quite nicely. That said, something about the shading bugs me... I'm tempted to not say anything since it might be more my own inexperience than any fault of your own. But, all the shading seems oddly smooth and... fuzzy. Even though most of the armor is rounded, it feels like there should be some sharper light/dark transitions somewhere. And it seems inconsistent in places- for example, the red cloth on the toa's left arm is mostly lit up, while the rest of said arm is mostly dark. There's also the matoran's upper left (our pov right) arm, which doesn't seem like it should be getting that much light from anywhere. That's all I can find to whine about.

To be perfectly honest, I did not spend as much time on this as I would have one a completely refined drawing (busy at the time), which Is why there's still all sorts of smaller mistakes to be spotted (of which you pointed out quite a few, good eyes ;) )

Wow, this is amazing! You could really do some greaat Movie concept art!

That, my friend, is exactly what I am hoping to do one day, to work as a concept artists for games and/or movies and earn my salary doing what I love to do.

Wow. What did you use to make this? Paint? Photoshop? GIMP? Or did you somehow draw it by hand?

Paint? Photoshop? GIMP?

Paint?

...I think we can safely say he probably did not use Paint.You were correct with Photoshop. I think it's CS4, but my memory is negligible. Also a Cintiq. I remember this because of jealousy.I also wanted to say, I looked again and yes, I can see the other horn's base, it just is too short for that exact perspective (in lieu of the other side)Some of the lighting discrepancies are immediately noticeable, but they don't seem to distract from the piece. I would probably just call it a mystic ambiance, since when did the Charred Forest ever have a real lightsource on characters to begin with anyway? Lastly, this awesome related thing: :phone:And, man am I excited for the others.

Wow. What did you use to make this? Paint? Photoshop? GIMP? Or did you somehow draw it by hand?

You know, you could just read the 5-6 lines underneath the link, all the answers are there. Buuut, since I'm nice, yes, the image was made using Photoshop CS4 and a Wacom Cintiq tablet.Also, UK, definitely digging the awesome thingy =D I've scanned my Vortixx character and have done two sketches and a concept of my Skakdi...but those turn out to be hard to do. I'll have to see how I can match her description to what looks feminine on a Skakdi.

If you ever make all the BZPRPG characters drawn, you will have demonstrated amazing skill and will have earned AuRon's undying admiration (which you already have). Really like this, a lot! Nice lighting, lots of detail, I also like how you incorporated the dead hand to make it seem more real. The best BIONICLE drawing I've ever seen!

• 2 weeks later...

If you ever make all the BZPRPG characters drawn, you will have demonstrated amazing skill and will have earned AuRon's undying admiration (which you already have). Really like this, a lot! Nice lighting, lots of detail, I also like how you incorporated the dead hand to make it seem more real. The best BIONICLE drawing I've ever seen!

Thanks AuRon, glad you like it!Aaand I do plan on drawing my other characters as well. Have drawn them both in fact, but I want to add some colour to them too. ^^

I always love your art VF, and it never ceases to amaze me. I love the detail and style of the armor (particularly Toa Agni's legs). I am looking forward to more of your work

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

wow that is simply amazing, dark and who hand is that. also congrats on making the front page. On a side note when i first saw the title they gave the news page " a Grim Scene" i thought maybe someone important in the lego company died.

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

Wow, this is... this is just amazing. You did an excellent job making the characters look mechanical, but still smooth, active, and alive. The colors are especially well done, particularly the sharp focus of the two (living) characters against the trees in the background and the hand in the foreground. The only possible complaint I could have is the position of the Matoran's left hand: while the Toa's pose looks extremely realistic and natural, the Matoran's hand is throwing me off with the palm facing outward. Still, that's really only a small issue, and the rest of the piece is still spectacular.I hope to see more of your artwork in the future!-:t::n:

sigbanner.gif

Something about that staff head is familiar... Ah well. Can't think of it now :/ Aside from that little bit, I love this drawing. Very different from how we usually have these character portrayed, but I think it works.

if i remember correctly that is the spear tip for the ta-koro guard

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

I didn't know you did art, Vezok...Anyway, that's insanely good, man! Great job and great job on getting on the front page.As for the art itself, it's very well done. I like the humanized aspect and the way you used the hand to hide the body. The skyline is phenominal as well. Just an overall great job.-Mef

Dude...I want to like hire you or something.... :P (Draw Skyra!!!!!! j/k )Seriously though, those are amazing! Great work! :D The amount of detail you put into it is impressive to say the least, I like how humanoid they are, even more humanish than the movies.

363513066_tobecont.png.5b057f495e0794e9450207c84546738e.png
My Bzprpg ProfilesGhosts of Bara Magna

Skyra | Hakari | Oceanna | Taleen | Arisaka | Zanakra | Kaminari | Drakkar

Impressive. I especially like how you've built Agni and the other guard member-the style is humanoid, but blended perfectly with the bio-mechanical part of Bionicle we all know and love.The background is a nice contrast. I do agree with UK's sentiments about it, but I still like how it fits into the picture.

[Profiles]

Cropped.png.611b6f973fd434d0847c1fdaa53ac881.png

Wisdom. Restraint. Emptiness. 

• 4 weeks later...

I only just noticed that I still have today to reply to all of your kind comments before the topic would be dead.

I always love your art VF, and it never ceases to amaze me. I love the detail and style of the armor (particularly Toa Agni's legs). I am looking forward to more of your work

Thankyou! I know I am not very active anymore, but I will definitely color my drawings of my other RPG Chars, as well as some more Bionicle in the future. Just be patient.

Wow, this is amazing! You could really do some greaat Movie concept art!

I agree- the background colors perfectly suit what's going on and give the entire piece a dramatic feel. Great artwork.
Thankyou very much!

wow that is simply amazing, dark and who hand is that. also congrats on making the front page. On a side note when i first saw the title they gave the news page " a Grim Scene" i thought maybe someone important in the lego company died.

I was thinking pretty much the same until one of my friends here sent me a PM, telling me I was featured. Still amazing now!

Wow, this is... this is just amazing. You did an excellent job making the characters look mechanical, but still smooth, active, and alive. The colors are especially well done, particularly the sharp focus of the two (living) characters against the trees in the background and the hand in the foreground. The only possible complaint I could have is the position of the Matoran's left hand: while the Toa's pose looks extremely realistic and natural, the Matoran's hand is throwing me off with the palm facing outward. Still, that's really only a small issue, and the rest of the piece is still spectacular. I hope to see more of your artwork in the future! -:t::n:

Thanks, I appreciate the critique. I have to admit, I spent much more time on Agni than on the Guard-Matoran.

Something about that staff head is familiar... Ah well. Can't think of it now :/ Aside from that little bit, I love this drawing. Very different from how we usually have these character portrayed, but I think it works.

if i remember correctly that is the spear tip for the ta-koro guard
Indeed it is the official Ta-Koro Guard spear, since both Agni and the Matoran are in the Guard.

I didn't know you did art, Vezok... Anyway, that's insanely good, man! Great job and great job on getting on the front page. As for the art itself, it's very well done. I like the humanized aspect and the way you used the hand to hide the body. The skyline is phenominal as well. Just an overall great job. -Mef

Art is the sole reason I joined BZP back in the day. I've been drawing all my life and got pretty serious about it in 2006, even won the Art-contest here in the past.Glad you like this piece. It's one of my quickly-done ones.

Dude...I want to like hire you or something.... :P (Draw Skyra!!!!!! j/k ) Seriously though, those are amazing! Great work! :D The amount of detail you put into it is impressive to say the least, I like how humanoid they are, even more humanish than the movies.

Well, you can hire me. I am open for comissions at the moment.Thanks for the comment, I appreciate it!

Impressive. I especially like how you've built Agni and the other guard member-the style is humanoid, but blended perfectly with the bio-mechanical part of Bionicle we all know and love. The background is a nice contrast. I do agree with UK's sentiments about it, but I still like how it fits into the picture.

Thanks! I've always experimented with different looks for my Bionicle-drawings, but ultimately settled on this style for the Toa and humanoid beings. For Rahi, I still need to figure something out...

Very, very nice. Colors are perfect and and the overall scene is fantastic. ----- Lord of the Rings ----- Titles: Dark Lord, Lord of Mordor, Lord of Gifts, Lord of Barad-Dûr, Lord of the Earth

Thank you, oh dark lord! ^^

My favourite part would have to be the highlights on the armour- it really gives off the impression of a lingering glow after the fire.

I was actually aiming more for a sunrise in the charred forest, but what you say does make sense, I hadn't even thought of it that way. Thank you!

Oh gosh, now ain't that somethin' Amazingly done, nice blend of mechanical and organic looks, blahblahblahcan't comment on art to save my life... I can't wait to see more!

Thanks and rest assured: There will be more!

:kaukau: Now this is the type of artwork that I like to see. Artwork that looks like it took some time and dedication. You obviously knew what feel you were going for, and you rendered it well. The scene is complete in many ways, so I'll just break up my commentary into several parts.The first is the background. It's an often overlooked feature, and usually only thrown in out of necessity. In some other topics, I saw backgrounds that were just drawn in for the sake of the character existing on a plane that made enough sense. Perhaps something scenic was thrown in for the sake of scenery, but with no real depth and no real story. Here, I get that sense of narrative that gives this picture a feeling of being in the moment. It's a great choice of setting that shows a passion for the Bionicle setting that goes beyond merely the fantastic backdrops, but also the subtler locations such as the Charred Forest that give me an impression that you could truly call Ta-Wahi home (the MNOG fanatic in me just shouted for joy).There's also the focus of the picture. What really stands out to me is the hand at the bottom. What is it a picture of? I don't know, but would really like to find out. It keeps me intrigued, and I suspect it has something to do with the RPG. Since I'll be joining soon, this makes me interested in interacting with your character, Agni, and take him seriously. If you intended that at all, consider this art very successful.The legs on the Toa are magnificent. First off are the proportions, which feel just fine, but I also appreciate the detail around the knee (although in humans kneecaps face upward when the leg is bent). The armor runs smoothly, and I like the touch of the buckles around the calves. The ankles are rather hard to pull off, but you even managed to get detail on those.The arms likewise are interesting, if only for the forearm armor and the accurate symbol of the Ta-Koro badge on the shoulder (the MNOG fanatic shouted for joy again). The character is completed by the red scarf, which to me instantly adds personality. I don't know exactly how to interpret it, but I can't deny that it makes him look cool.Finally, the lighting. The lighting is what really brings everything to life (even more so due to the sudden contrast of the assistant with the staff's cranium, which stands out and encourages my eye to wander). While still maintaining an undeniable clarity, you demonstrate that you aren't afraid to dim areas meant to be dim as the scene demanded. Because of this, I can genuinely believe that the scene is real, that this actually takes place in the Charred Forest, and that the mood is grim. Like the background and the focus, it adds to the sense of being caught in the moment that suggests a precise air of storytelling. It adds the necessary touch of daring and professionalism that begs for the picture to be taken seriously.Your Honor,Tyrannosaurus Kraggh

Once again VF succeeds in blowing my mind...But honestly, it is one of the most amazing works yet, and considering what you've done prior, that's a massive accomplishment. Everyone's already mentioned the success in creating a biomechanical feel and since that applies to pretty much all of your work, I'll continue no further on that line of thought. Now, as for something I thought was very important but no one has mentioned yet (I think? I read all the posts and I don't remember anyone saying this, but there have been plenty...): the choice of angle was perfect. The hand tells us little about the victim but clearly implies an untimely demise. This dramatic effect really draws me in to the image. All we have to go by is the worried look on the guardsman's face and Agni's look of grim determination that seems to say "This won't go unsolved." Also, UK nitpicked about the hand on the guardsman and I noticed this on my own. There seems to be an awkwardish gap between fingers 3 and 4 if you count the thumb as finger 1. Allow me to quote UK: This is so picky and obviously deters nothing from the piece. I can't really even dream of drawing anything like this so it's still a 10/10 in my book; I just know you're always looking for any super-tiny opportunity to improve and I noticed that.

odyssey1_bannernew.jpg

Review Topic

I AM OFFICIALLY BACK! :D After 18 months on hiatus, I have returned, but I have spent that time well. If you want to see how it was spent, click on the banner to start reading the result or click on the linky-link below to get further information off of the review topic.