Toa Mahri Survival Horror Game?

Matoro11

I stumbled across a comment on a YouTube video of the Mahri trailer that suggested a survival horror game a la Halo, based on the mini-movie. Obviously the trailer is non-canon, but when you think about it, the 2007 run would be a really good candidate for an atmospheric survival horror/thriller game. Imagine the tension as you walk down the cord lit by nothing but a torch or Jaller's sword. Or the shock of the giant venom eel cracking the cord and having to escape the cord and enter the Black Water. Or the feeling of helplessness as you run out of air just as the Mask of Life strikes you with energy and turns you into a Toa Mahri. 

The general darkness of the Pit and the constant creatures circling overhead would make a really cool environment, and you could occasionally have Takea Sharks or the Barraki or Maxilos come out as little shock/stingers, or just appear in your periphery. There really would be so much potential here. 

• Like 1

M11

That would actually be really good! A poorly-lit Gadunka jumpscare would definitely freak me out lol

The design for the Mahri-Nui Matoran always struck me as being a bit erie. Maybe it's just me, but there's some potential there as well I think (have Delflak stalking you as you get closer to the airfields and the city). 

Also, DEFINITELY would make for a cool open-world!  

Sig..gif.a3346491b24c9bc3827e18c57ef3b7ff.gif.6f7ce54313e70f1931299845e4d29d20.gif

That sort of thing could work really well. I always imagined the waters of Mahri Nui as murky and dark enough that it is difficult to see far in front of you. That alone would keep tension high, and of course the nightmarish Barraki and sea life would play into that perfectly.

2005 has a similar opportunity. Forget the Toa Metru--imagine playing as a Matoran traveling through the ruined Metrus one by one, desperately trying to escape the city while avoiding/fleeing Visorak and malfunctioning Vahki.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MoarBotar said:

That would actually be really good! A poorly-lit Gadunka jumpscare would definitely freak me out lol

The design for the Mahri-Nui Matoran always struck me as being a bit erie. Maybe it's just me, but there's some potential there as well I think (have Delflak stalking you as you get closer to the airfields and the city). 

Also, DEFINITELY would make for a cool open-world!  

I like the idea of being watched by the Matoran while you work your way towards the lights of Mahri Nui. I think it'd be even more creepy to see Kalmah's or Pridak's eyes fading in and out as you walk around the fields of air, and then jolting you as they capture you. 

I don't know how open-world it could be, considering how intense the story is, but having individual missions based on the story could make for a lot of replay value. 

M11

9 hours ago, TheZOMBIEJ said:

it would definitely be interesting! anybody willing to create such a game? i'd play it! :) 

I would love to write it. Although I know how ambitious a project like this is, and I tried to work on a massive project a few years ago that never even got off the ground. If there was a team of super-passionate people willing to devote a couple of years to building it, I'm sure it could be really special.

M11

1 hour ago, mysteriouspi said:

That sort of thing could work really well. I always imagined the waters of Mahri Nui as murky and dark enough that it is difficult to see far in front of you. That alone would keep tension high, and of course the nightmarish Barraki and sea life would play into that perfectly.

2005 has a similar opportunity. Forget the Toa Metru--imagine playing as a Matoran traveling through the ruined Metrus one by one, desperately trying to escape the city while avoiding/fleeing Visorak and malfunctioning Vahki.

Ooh. That has a Slender/Five Nights at Freddy's Vibe. I like that. The sky colored a misty green by the Visorak webs and the silhouette of the Coliseum in the background. *shudders*

M11

On 6/18/2020 at 7:30 PM, mysteriouspi said:

2005 has a similar opportunity.

Totally! 

I always felt like a 2004-2005 game would have had a lot of potential (in the 04 half exploring Metru Nui as a flourishing city and then in the 05 half exploring the city under the control of the Visorak). Very dystopian. 

I like the idea of playing as a Matoran. Lurching, damaged, zombie-ish Vahki; hearing Visorak clicking and shrieking nearby but not knowing where they are; even running from crazed Hordika! There's also all the mutated Rahi from the Archives wandering around. I wouldn't mind seeing some more of them (although the Matoran probably would lol!)  

Sig..gif.a3346491b24c9bc3827e18c57ef3b7ff.gif.6f7ce54313e70f1931299845e4d29d20.gif

• 5 weeks later...