Continuity error in Legends of Metru Nui

In the beginning of Legends of Metru Nui, the fake Turaga Dume talks to Makuta, who is a giant shadow against the wall. Of course we later find out that fake Turaga Dume is actually Teridax. So does that mean Turaga Dume was working for Makuta, was Teridax talking to himself, or was Teridax talking to Miserix?

M11

The novelization of Legends of Metru Nui specifies that he was speaking to his own reflection:

Dume took a step forward into the darkness. Nothing blocked his way, for there was no one else in the chamber. Only a shadowed mirror from which Dume’s true face reflected back at him. Dume reached up and peeled off his Kanohi Mask of Power, to reveal another underneath – a twisted, blackened Mask of Shadows.

https://crosswiredgeeks.com/biologicalchronicle-book4chapter45/

Dume was not working with Teridax, and Miserix had already been exiled at the time the film takes place.

Edited by TuragaNuva

sigbanner.gif

21 minutes ago, TuragaNuva said:

The novelization of Legends of Metru Nui specifies that he was speaking to his own reflection:

https://crosswiredgeeks.com/biologicalchronicle-book4chapter45/

Dume was not working with Teridax, and Miserix had already been exiled at the time the film takes place.

Thanks for the clarification. Now I need someone to make a Spider-Man 1/Green Goblin meme of that.

M11

I think the scene is meant to make you think Dume is working for Makuta (or somebody else bad), so it's more surprising when it turns out Dume has been taken over by Makuta.

The consequence is that the 'Dume seems to be talking to somebody else' scene plays a bit weirdly because now Makuta has to be talking to himself, which isn't something he was shown doing in many other parts of the story.

I always liked to interpret that weirdness as Teridax trying to perfect his acting. He's a skilled mimic, as we've seen, but even the best actors need to have some alone time to get into character. I like to think that he was asking himself questions out loud, and then fixing his impression. I know I've had to do that from time to time when doing voice work for projects. Sometimes, right in the middle of a recording, I'll have started off with one voice and somehow ended up slightly deviating in either the tone or the accent, and I have to reign it back in.

Assuming that's what we're seeing, I like it because it does something unique with Teridax: it humanizes him. He's fallible, and he knows it. Everywhere else, he's seen as this overly manipulative dark god-like being pulling all the strings. But the one time we see him alone, we immediately see him trying to make sure he isn't messing up. He's perfecting his act and trying to stay in character.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

21 hours ago, Sir Kohran said:

The consequence is that the 'Dume seems to be talking to somebody else' scene plays a bit weirdly because now Makuta has to be talking to himself, which isn't something he was shown doing in many other parts of the story.

I would never have realised the foreshadowing without your comment, but actually, Makuta does talk to himself a lot during the Mangaia scenes in Mask of Light.

Granted, they're straight-up monologues rather than him talking to a reflection of himself, but it's interesting that the parallel was there all along!

Well, yes. I have the same misconception because of that scene before Teridax was actually pretending to be Dume himself, but him talking to a mirror explains a lot. He must have been busy acting with that magical mirror before he does his evil acts. He always talks to himself whenever he is alone in his lair or some other hiding place before he took over the Matoran Universe. It shows that he is not just some villain that you defeat once in a video game. He shows more of his personality, as he always tended to sharpen his strategies and acting before he would get ready to do something. He always did that when he waited for the perfect moment, anyway. Lol. :)

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

16 hours ago, Distorted said:

I would never have realised the foreshadowing without your comment, but actually, Makuta does talk to himself a lot during the Mangaia scenes in Mask of Light.

Granted, they're straight-up monologues rather than him talking to a reflection of himself, but it's interesting that the parallel was there all along!

My thoughts too reading this thread... Makuta is monologuing a lot to himself in Mangaia. The comics which had him narrating certain scenes also can be seen as him talking to himself (remember the 2001 comic with the big infected Hau looming over a swarm of Rahi during Makuta's narration?).

At least in the 1000 years after the Great Cataclysm... I bet Makuta did not get to leave Mangaia a lot... so he might have some cabin fever locked up in his lair and scheming. 

• Upvote 2

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!