LEGO 71374 Nintendo Entertainment System Announced

71374_Nintendo_Entertainment_System_Anno
After teasing it on social media yesterday, this morning LEGO has officially announced the 71374 Nintendo Entertainment System set which is sure to be a hit with gamers, children of the 80s, and LEGO fans around the world! The 2646-piece set perfectly captures the classic gaming console as well as an old-school CRT TV to play it on. What's more, the TV even has an awesome play feature to recreate part of the opening level of Super Mario Bros. and can combine with the Mario figure from the Super Mario Starter Course to add sound effects and music to make the game come to life! The model looks amazing and I'm expecting it to fly of online and physical shelves when it goes on sale August 1st for $299.99 in the US. To learn more about the set, check out hi-res pictures, and watch a couple videos showing off its construction and features, read on!

View the full article

I find Nintendo's newfound partnership with Lego (between this and the Super Mario stuff) rather odd.  Lego is a toy company, one that specializes in (at their heart) building blocks and construction kits.  They take great efforts to encourage creativity with their toys, building, combining, making new things.  So they're very permissive with fan creations, whether that's stop motion animations with Lego bricks, fan games, patching their old software, continuing old themes... because the point has always been to encourage creativity.  Nintendo, on the other hand... well, they've earned their reputation for serving their fans cease-and-desist letters.  Encouraging creativity is not something they're usually interested in, especially when Nintendo's own franchises are involved.

I wonder where a partnership between such two different companies is going to go.

Avatar by Nicholas Anderson (NickonAquaMagna)

My blog: The Jaga's Nest

This is such a detailed set! It looks exactly like the NES... which is funny because the NES is really just a grey box. :P 

But wow, when he turned that crank and Mario started moving through the level... mind blown. Such cool functionality! Major props to the designers. I'm super impressed, even though it's a bit out of my budget right now.

22 hours ago, JayC16 said:

I don't know if the price in the article is a typo or if the press kit Lego sent had the wrong price in it but the listing on the lego.com shop says that this will be $229.99. 

Apparently there were a lot of issues with the price. I asked LEGO's PR agency and they specifically told me to ignore everything else and use $299.99, haha.

On 7/14/2020 at 11:14 PM, evil_jaga_genius said:

I wonder where a partnership between such two different companies is going to go.

Well, I know one place it's going...the bank. Nintendo has probably been one of the most requested licenses for as long as I can remember.

I posted this in the other topic already, but I find this thing super cool, but I can't really afford it, especially at $300 rather than $230 it seems.