Last Book You Read

Queen of Liars

Finished The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain. It was assigned for summer reading, but that didn't stop it from being one of the greatest books I've ever read. Now if only I didn't have to go back and write a bunch of journal entries about it...

I loved Huckleberry Finn too! (Mandatory) journals are rarely fun, but it's actually a really great book for discussion becuase there's a lot of great satire there that, as a modern audiance lacking the proper context, it's pretty easy too miss. I really loved The Adventures of Tom Sawyer as well; have you read it? It’s been too long since I’ve read either of them. I’d give 'em both another read, but I currently have about three books I’m juggling at once. I started re-reading The Hobbit a while back, and I’m about halfway finished with that, but I’m also trying to read through A Feast for Crows, of which I’ve read about 2%. Before that, I was reading The Crossing by Cormac McCarthy, but I only got about ten pages into it before I was distracted by A Song of Ice and Fire. In the middle of all that, I’ve been flirting with the idea of re-reading the Fullmetal Alchemist manga, and at some point I’d really like to read Travels with Charley. The last book I actually finished… ummm, I guess that'd be A Storm of Swords, which ate all my emotions and left me too drained to read anything else for a while.Oh dear. Looking at all that, I really have a tragically short attention span.

-Helio

Love

It will not betray you, dismay or enslave you

It will set you free

Be more like the man you were made to be

untitled.png

Last finished Doctor Who: EarthWorld. I liked it, but as it's the only Eighth Doctor book I've read, I was completely lost when it brought up past events, which was pretty often. They should have picked a more stand-alone book to include in the 50th Anniversary set.

Currently reading Odd Interlude by Dean Koontz. Book 4.5 in the Odd Thomas series. A great series, definitely recommended if you like supernatural mysteries. After I finish this I'll be reading Odd Apocalypse, then hopefully Deeply Odd if my library has a copy.

"A Song of Fire and Ice - Book 1: A Game of Thrones" by George R.R. Martin.

Yeah, I took my sweet time with it. :)

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

Does fan fiction count? I had been a fan of My Little Pony for more than a year, but this afternoon I finally broke down and read Anthropology, marking the first time I'd delved into prose fan fiction (all the fan literature I'd read before was comics). I don't know if I'd recommend it to folks who aren't fans of the show, or for that matter, in tune with popular fanon (since it focuses on a background character characterized largely by collective fan overinterpretation). But at 31 chapters it was about the length of a good-sized novel, and I was deeply satisfied with it on the whole.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

• 2 months later...

War of the Twins Vol. III, Dragonlance. One of my favorite trilogies. Now I'm onto some old X-Files novels I found at a Goowill

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

I just finished the first two Full Metal Panic! novels, Fighting Boy Meets Girl and One Night Stand a few days ago, and I'm a couple of chapters into the fourth, The Ending Day by Day (I skipped the third due to it being $30+ at the cheapest and I have a very good general knowledge of the series from the manga and anime adaptations). Honestly, the novels are much better then I was expecting, with good pacing, a very natural-feeling English translation, and that sense of suspense you can only get from a page break in the middle of an intense scene (honestly, even with all my familiarity with the series, I still thought that some characters were going to die). Overall, I feel like they are like more lighthearted Tom Clancy novels, which is a pleasant surprise I really wasn't expecting.

Finished (finally) Son of a Witch. I think the best thing Wicked has going for it is that it's an adaption from the point of view of a very famous and established fictional character. For that reason (and because it's well written) one can easily look past the more mundane aspects of the story. Son of a Witch doesn't have that going for it. The plot focuses on Elphaba's son, Liir, and to be honest I found the story rather dull. I didn't care much for Liir while reading Wicked, and nothing about him in this story gives me any reason to either. Aside from that, I felt the plot just wasn't focused. It seemed more like a series of vignettes about the character.

But, meh, whatever. I'll still read A Lion Among Men to see how that is. But not yet. Up next is A Monster Calls (Velox has done a very good job advertising this one :P ) and A Clash of Kings. I've started A Monster Calls, and so far am not completely impressed, but we'll see where it goes.

BZPRPG

Finished The Walking Dead Vol.2: Miles Behind Us, by Robert Kirkman yesterday, and Summer Knight, by Jim Butcher, the day before. Both were definitely great books.

But not yet. Up next is A Monster Calls (Velox has done a very good job advertising this one :P ) and A Clash of Kings. I've started A Monster Calls, and so far am not completely impressed, but we'll see where it goes.

Haha, sweet. I hope you enjoy it, and I look forward to hearing what you think. ^^ A Clash of Kings is great, too. I'm excited to read A Dance with Dragons over Christmas break, since I recently purchased the paperback.

Edited by Velox

"As a writer you ask yourself to dream while awake." ~ Aimee Bender

I finally got around to finishing Constellations: An Ambage Anthology. All the stories were pretty good and a number of them were great - my personal favorites were "Cosmonaut Comet" and "Worldmakers."

I'm now rereading Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

Edited by Baltarc

Q2TtLEz.png

I finished Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card, part of the Ender's Game Series. I have to say that it's my favorite of the books I've read of it so far. I'm also on the last chapter of Xenocide, which is standard Orson Scott Card material. By standard, I mean intriguing and epic, of course. Never before has a sci-fi book led me to contemplate science, philosophy, and religion in such a manner.

banner.png

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Odd Interlude and Odd Apocalypse.

Like Brother Odd, these both ended up being sci-fi stories, instead of the supernatural route the series usually takes. I like when Koontz does that, it always keeps things fresh.

The only thing that bothered me about Interlude is that due to its nature as an interquel, its events will probably never be mentioned again; they weren't mentioned in Apocalypse, at least. In any other series this wouldn't be a big deal, but the Odd Thomas series has always maintained a very strong continuity, and each story throws in several nods to earlier stories. To never mention a particular one again is odd, and makes it seem inconsequential.

I'm willing to bet that Interlude was written after Apocalypse was finished, which would explain the lack of continuity.

Just started And Another Thing... by Eoin Colfer. I'm always iffy when a different author takes over a series, but I'm willing to give it a try. At the least, it can't be any worse than So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

Edited by Primis

Finished Odd Interlude and Odd Apocalypse.

Like Brother Odd, these both ended up being sci-fi stories, instead of the supernatural route the series usually takes. I like when Koontz does that, it always keeps things fresh.

The only thing that bothered me about Interlude is that due to its nature as an interquel, its events will probably never be mentioned again; they weren't mentioned in Apocalypse, at least. In any other series this wouldn't be a big deal, but the Odd Thomas series has always maintained a very strong continuity, and each story throws in several nods to earlier stories. To never mention a particular one again is odd, and makes it seem inconsequential.

I'm willing to bet that Interlude was written after Apocalypse was finished, which would explain the lack of continuity.

Just started And Another Thing... by Eoin Colfer. I'm always iffy when a different author takes over a series, but I'm willing to give it a try. At the least, it can't be any worse than So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

I actually preferred So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish to Mostly Harmless. I felt the former's awkward, happy-go-lucky attitude better matched the tone of the previous books in the series, even if it mostly takes place on Earth (or, sort of Earth, anyway). The humor in Mostly Harmless was crushed by the book's overall nihilism, which made it very hard to enjoy.

And Another Thing... is good, but I do admit that Colfer's narrative voice never quite matches Adams' own. Then again, I think Colfer himself suggested to read it as simply "a particularly well-publicized piece of fanfiction", and by that gauge it stands fairly well.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Minority Report (not just the eponymous short story, it was a whole collection of Philip K. Dick short stories). I just bought S. by Doug Dorst and J.J. Abrams, and its amazing so far.

also i went on amazon and bought Drive by James Sallis, Driven, also by James Sallis, and House Of Leaves by Mark Danielewski

only in dreams.

I actually preferred So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish to Mostly Harmless. I felt the former's awkward, happy-go-lucky attitude better matched the tone of the previous books in the series, even if it mostly takes place on Earth (or, sort of Earth, anyway). The humor in Mostly Harmless was crushed by the book's overall nihilism, which made it very hard to enjoy.

The main thing I didn't like about So Long is that it just didn't do anything until the last few pages. The series was about Arthur and co. wandering more-or-less aimlessly through the galaxy, getting into increasingly bizarre situations with eccentric characters, then So Long abandons all that for an inexplicable romance story of all things. Mostly Harmless may have been pointlessly bleak, but it certainly wasn't dull.

Edited by Primis

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Raylan, by Elmore Leonard earlier today. Not bad, but not anything amazing either.

I just bought S. by Doug Dorst and J.J. Abrams, and its amazing so far.

Nice! This is probably what I'm going to read next--got my hands on it a few days ago. Ever since I heard about it, I've been extremely excited to read it, and once finals are over I'll finally be able to. The idea is pretty brilliant, and the book itself is just incredibly beautiful and awesome.

The last book I read cover-to-cover was A Feast for Crows. Somehow finished it in a week.

I occasionally return to BZP for a nostalgic trip back. Hit me up on discord if you need anything. 

BZPRPG Characters that I will possibly revive, Mons-Shajs-Tarotrix-Aryll Vudigg-Jorruk Yokin-Senavysh Angavur

• 4 weeks later...

Finished up Ethan Frome, which I had to read for school over break. It was ... all right? I didn't particularly enjoy it, but it kept me interested nonetheless. After I got through the rather tedious prologue, anyway.

I'm now going back to rereading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, which will probably be followed by Divergent, which my sister is demanding I read.

Q2TtLEz.png

The Fault in our Stars by John Green. Definitely the best book I've read in a year(as in, 2013).

The House of Hades by Rick Riordan

Currently finishing The Pirate King, part of the Transition series, which in turn is part of the 18 or so Drizzt novels.

Edited by Norik Of Gielinor

• 2 weeks later...

Finished And Another Thing... by Eoin Colfer.

It was... okay. I'd rate it as only marginally better than So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish, only for the fact that there at least is a plot to go along with the contrived romance story.

My library had a copy of Deeply Odd by Dean Koontz, so I'll be reading that next.

Paper Towns from John Green. Between this and Looking for Alaska I have to wonder why he likes to write about High School age guys who have unhealthy obsessions with girls. This one was about a guy who tries to find his friend after she runs away. He spends a good deal of the book thinking about this person in really pretentious ways despite the fact that he hardly knows her. But, regardless, I think I would have enjoyed it more if the girl in the story wasn't such a brat. I mean, I can definitely empathize with her emotions and desires, but sometimes you just shouldn't cross the line that she did. I also don't like how the author essentially boils down life to something so simple. According to him, it seems you can either live life one of two ways: as a homeless (but free) bum, or a lifeless cog in the wheel of the system. Sorry, but I don't agree with that.

So I guess it was an okay read, but it's no Looking for Alaska. If anything, I like how he writes his characters. Even though I've never met anyone who behaves like these characters do, he makes them seem real (if pretentious), without fitting into any of the typical High School tropes.

Edited by Vorahk1Panrahk2
BZPRPG

Last book I finished was A Wizard Of Earthsea, by Ursula K LeGuin.

It was great.

READ THE OTHERS. NOW.

My most recently finished book would be Skullduggery Pleasant, but currently I'm reading Eye of the World concurrently with a complete collection of H.P. Lovecraft's works.

The last book I read cover-to-cover was A Feast for Crows. Somehow finished it in a week.

That is incredible. I haven't actually read ASOIAF yet, but I have them all and they are long.

Edited by Master of all Kopekes
rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

Since my last post, I read S. by JJ Abrams & Doug Dorst in the last few weeks of December. The whole book was incredibly fun to read, but it also took a while as I seemed to never have much time to read.

So far in January I've read:

• Survivor, by Chuck Palahniuk. First book I've read by Palahniuk, and it didn't disappoint. He has a really enjoyable writing style, and I look forward to reading more of his soon.
  • More Than This, by Patrick Ness. Not nearly as good as A Monster Calls, but it was still amazing (I just love Ness's writing style), and I still look forward to reading his next book, as well as the Chaos Walking trilogy, which I have unfortunately not read yet.
  • A Dance with Dragons, by George R.R. Martin. I basically did nothing else but read for ~5 days, but it was worth it, as this book was awesome. =P Cannot wait for Winds of Winter.
  • Hawkeye, Vol. 1: My Life as a Weapon, by Matt Fraction. The first superhero graphic novel I've read, as per the recommendation of ChocolateFrogs--really an awesome book, and I can't wait to read vol.2 as well as more superhero GNs, and Sandman, which I need to get my hands on.
  • Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card. Really enjoyable; very easy to see why so many people love it. And now I can finally see the film, too. I may just have to read more in this series, but if I do, it won't be for a while most likely, since I have so many things I need to read.

Last book I've finished was Small Favor by Jim Butcher.

Current book I'm reading isTurn Coat, also by Jim Butcher

in fact all i've been reading for the past...half year or so has been Dresden Files books. I should pick up House of Hades eventually, but when I'll have a chance to drop by the bookstore I have no idea.

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian

Well, I'm not reading that much right now since college has started back up (well technically, I'm reading tons of stuff, but it's all textbooks), but I did get to page through The Dresden Files: Ghoul Goblin miniseries over Christmas break and it was a pretty solid comic all around. Admittedly, it pales in comparison to the prose entries in the series, but as something to tide me over until book #15 comes out, it did well enough.

Before that I read A Game of Thrones and A Clash of Kings pretty much one right after the other. I'd been meaning to look into that series for a while now, and I have to say I'm very glad I did, because it's truly top-notch stuff.

bionicle_2017_banner_3c.png

Since my last post, I read S. by JJ Abrams & Doug Dorst in the last few weeks of December. The whole book was incredibly fun to read, but it also took a while as I seemed to never have much time to read.

So far in January I've read:

• Survivor, by Chuck Palahniuk. First book I've read by Palahniuk, and it didn't disappoint. He has a really enjoyable writing style, and I look forward to reading more of his soon.
  • More Than This, by Patrick Ness. Not nearly as good as A Monster Calls, but it was still amazing (I just love Ness's writing style), and I still look forward to reading his next book, as well as the Chaos Walking trilogy, which I have unfortunately not read yet.
  • A Dance with Dragons, by George R.R. Martin. I basically did nothing else but read for ~5 days, but it was worth it, as this book was awesome. =P Cannot wait for Winds of Winter.
  • Hawkeye, Vol. 1: My Life as a Weapon, by Matt Fraction. The first superhero graphic novel I've read, as per the recommendation of ChocolateFrogs--really an awesome book, and I can't wait to read vol.2 as well as more superhero GNs, and Sandman, which I need to get my hands on.
  • Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card. Really enjoyable; very easy to see why so many people love it. And now I can finally see the film, too. I may just have to read more in this series, but if I do, it won't be for a while most likely, since I have so many things I need to read.

You are one insanely fast reader.

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

Star Wars Republic Commando: Hard Contact

Star Wars Republic Commando: Triple Zero

I'm a good way through Warhammer 40,000: Legion of the .

I'm rereading all the books because I've rediscovered them (with the exception of Triple Zero) in my basement behind another set of books.

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

You are one insanely fast reader.

Only when I'm on break and don't have school. =P And I end up ignoring other things in lieu of reading haha. Otherwise, usually I try to read ~a book a week, but I'll have low times and high times. But on that note, since the last post I finished: Gods of Guilt, by Michael Connelly; The Graveyard Book, by Neil Gaiman; Sharp Objects, by Gillian Flynn; Einstein's Dreams, by Alan Lightman; The Second Death, by Caleb Peiffer; and Time to Hunt, by Stephen Hunter.

The Graveyard Book is officially one of my favorite books I've ever read now. Gaiman truly is a brilliant writer, and I loved the way he portrayed a child. Plus, the accompanying drawings were great.

Einstein's Dreams is another incredibly brilliant book (short story? novella? the version I have is an actual book, but it's really short so I don't think it could be considered a novel). It makes you think, and was really interesting and fun to read.