Odd Roborider Wheel Variant

legolord2

Hey all!

been a while since ive visited here, but figured it was the best place to ask, Ive been collecting the wheels from Roboriders (among other collectibles!) for a while now and came across the one on the right, initially I just thought it was faded or something, but on closer inspection, the eyes are blue instead of green and the yellow seems to be completely absent as well as the red being purple. All the other coloured wheels that ive got with this printing match the one on the left. Is this a known variant? or a printing error or something else entirely?

thank you!!

Screenshot_20200819-155002_Facebook.jpg

oh wow! nice find! my best guess is that it's either a misprint or a bootleg/knockoff! although i'm not sure if the Roboriders ever got bootlegged within the past 2 decades! however, i wouldn't be surprised if they did (same with Slizer/Throwbots)! 

that's the best i got for ya! i mean, i'v never owned a Roboriders set at all (same with Slizer/Throwbots), so my opinion maybe less useful than those who actually owned the sets and could offer a similar or better opinion than mine! but whatever! :) 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, TheZOMBIEJ said:

oh wow! nice find! my best guess is that it's either a misprint or a bootleg/knockoff! although i'm not sure if the Roboriders ever got bootlegged within the past 2 decades! however, i wouldn't be surprised if they did (same with Slizer/Throwbots)! 

that's the best i got for ya! i mean, i'v never owned a Roboriders set at all (same with Slizer/Throwbots), so my opinion maybe less useful than those who actually owned the sets and could offer a similar or better opinion than mine! but whatever! :) 

ahh thank you for the reply!! id be interested to know if they were bootlegged! ive not seen any before, but that wouldnt rule it out! Any informations really handy! as theres not really all that much out there about the line haha

3 hours ago, legolord2 said:

ahh thank you for the reply!! id be interested to know if they were bootlegged! ive not seen any before, but that wouldnt rule it out! Any informations really handy! as theres not really all that much out there about the line haha

you're welcome! :) 

It looks to me like the printer was out of yellow ink (and only had cyan, magenta and black) at the time of printing. I reckon this must've happened to a good few disks and wheels back in the day, although I've never personally seen one where the difference was so striking.

Neat find. :)

Always thought these wheels were cool. The cyan/teal ones have the benefit of being some of the only teal technic pieces I have! In any case, this purple one looks cool - I have the orange one on the left, but the one on the right does, as Illuminatus said above, look like when you don't have enough ink in a printer. A cool find for sure!