Seeing Bionicle On The "outside"

(First two paragraphs are a story, the third is the question)

So the other day, I was reading a book in study hall. Generally, I don't usually read books, but a science fiction novel was necessary for my Adv Comp class. It was a rather recent sci-fi and it was good enough to keep me interested. Eventually, there came a part in the book where the main characters were in this toy store and half of the group went in to see the section where there were Lego and Bionicle. I had to stop because I never expected to see that referenced in a book.

Ironically, later that day, we somehow got onto the topic of old childhood toys and a prominent one that was brought up was Lego. Because of that, we talked about Bionicle too and I was surprised by the amount of my classmates that actually knew what it was. What shocked me even more was, after the period was over, one of my friends (whom I had befriended after my Bionicle years) was telling another guy I knew all about the first Bionicle movie, and he seemed to have recalled it better than I would have.

Anyway, has anything like this ever happened to you? Have you ever seen, read, or heard about Bionicle in a place that you never expected? Tell me your story(ies) and share how you felt (if you feel like it).

Edited by Kulrai: The Angry Koala

Comedies: How the Inika really became Toa, How the Inika Really Became Mahri, An original comedy for people with a more intelligent sense of humor

Epics: Darkhunter Rebellion, Genesis of the Toa Rava, Review

Bionicle-based creations: Random Bionicle Pics,

(Please don't write over my signature if theres anything wrong with it, just PM me. I use the links)

Would that sf novel be Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment by James Patterson by any chance?Yes, it is mentioned in there, and it was very shocking for me when I first read it. Let's see:

Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment, James Patterson'">

There's a whole room of Lego and Bionicle.

I guess we don't think of Bionicle as mainstream. Ever since it ended, we kind of got the impression it only appealed to a select group of people...and I got that impression even before it ended, as it wasn't something people around me liked. The thought that an author like him would go out of his way to mention it was somewhat shocking to me. Edited by fishers64

Would that sf novel be Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment by James Patterson by any chance?Yes, it is mentioned in there, and it was very shocking for me when I first read it. Let's see:

Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment, James Patterson'">

There's a whole room of Lego and Bionicle.

I guess we don't think of Bionicle as mainstream. Ever since it ended, we kind of got the impression it only appealed to a select group of people...and I got that impression even before it ended, as it wasn't something people around me liked. The thought that an author like him would go out of his way to mention it was somewhat shocking to me.
Wow I've read the book and I never realized it was in there.When it comes to learning of Bionicle, I've ran into quite a few friends I never expected to know of Bionicle, of course none of them know the story as well as I do.

ryuki-kr-miho.jpg

(First two paragraphs are a story, the third is the question)So the other day, I was reading a book in study hall. Generally, I don't usually read books, but a science fiction novel was necessary for my Adv Comp class. It was a rather recent sci-fi and it was good enough to keep me interested. Eventually, there came a part in the book where the main characters were in this toy store and half of the group went in to see the section where there were Lego and Bionicle. I had to stop because I never expected to see that referenced in a book.Ironically, later that day, we somehow got onto the topic of old childhood toys and a prominent one that was brought up was Lego. Because of that, we talked about Bionicle too and I was surprised by the amount of my classmates that actually knew what it was. What shocked me even more was, after the period was over, one of my friends (whom I had befriended after my Bionicle years) was telling another guy I knew all about the first Bionicle movie, and he seemed to have recalled it better than I would have.Anyway, has anything like this ever happened to you? Have you ever seen, read, or heard about Bionicle in a place that you never expected? Tell me your story(ies) and share how you felt (if you feel like it).

Oh my gosh i remember that i actually have read the first three books and book five. i was so amazed that they were mentioned so yeah. that is really the only time i have seen lego/bionicle in any form of media besides official lego media.

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

It never was that big, though I've heard it come up while shooting the breeze with friends if we get to talking about our childhoods.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

I don't know. I guess just seeing the word "Bionicle" in a book caught me off guard (and yes, it was Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment). That book was set and released in 2005 though, so I take it Bionicle still had enough popularity to be noticed by James Patterson. Other than that, I had seen Bionicles in other media, just not specifically named as so. I think there was sometime ago where 2008 Tahu was in one of the episodes of that Terminator TV Series (I just recall seeing it on the front page of BZP). I had seen it once or twice in Malcom in the Middle as one of the toys that Dewey had played with, but I think they called it by a different name. I didn't really count those but if you feel like they count, go ahead and list instances similar to that. I'm really curious as to how popular Bionicle really was.

Comedies: How the Inika really became Toa, How the Inika Really Became Mahri, An original comedy for people with a more intelligent sense of humor

(Please don't write over my signature if theres anything wrong with it, just PM me. I use the links)

In the Growling Eyeballs series, the main character has a Lego castle.In the Aldo Zelnick series, Book Four, it was said that the main character pretended to play Lego Bricks.In the Owlman series, Lego Bricks were originally mentioned, but the name was changed to Constructos in later books for legal reasons.

aouROFb.png

I haven't really seen Bionicle references in other media much, other than The Angel Experiment, which was mentioned before(hated the book). Plus, it was fairly unpopular in elementary school. Everyone else talked about Pokemon and I was the lone Bionicle fan.

Laughing_Man_Icon_by_CoyoteTracks.gif

Does anyone want to play the Master Chief Collection with me? I'm trying to get a team going for ranked. PM for GT.

I come across BIONICLE fans occasionally, although they're usually fans who were into it in the early years of it and later lost interest. I guess that just comes with being in the same age range as people who were smack in the middle of the target age range during the theme's early success (I was 10 when BIONICLE came out in the United States).One time in art club during high school I had my Brickshelf open and a friend noticed some fanart there of Gali and Takanuva. They were able to remember at least one of their names from seeing BIONICLE: Mask of Light despite not being a dedicated fan.

I did see that Malcolm in the Middle episode (and Dewey called Tahu "Zoltan") once after a scout troop meeting I put up the bs01 podcast on my iPod and this one other guy was like "you like Bionicle?" but he wasn't a ##### about asking. I was the only Bionicle fan in my elementary school, and this one girl I was arguing with cursed Bionicle.

The Old King is dead long live the King

Dragon types will rule

PM me if you have Pokemon White

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are of the remaining 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your sig.

I was the only Bionicle fan in my elementary school, and this one girl I was arguing with cursed Bionicle.

Oh my, that is quite unfortunate. I had a couple of friends that were into Bionicle, but I can't say as much as I was. I think it was mostly the constructiveness part. I still use Bionicles, though not the same as I did before. I see them more as an art-medium (but still my favorite toys). In fact, I used Bionicles as characters for my Short Film submission at my Speech contest today, but they were custom characters, not the actual toys. The judge really liked it though.

I haven't really seen Bionicle references in other media much, other than The Angel Experiment, which was mentioned before(hated the book). Plus, it was fairly unpopular in elementary school. Everyone else talked about Pokemon and I was the lone Bionicle fan.

What was wrong with the book? Did you not like the writing style (I admit, it's not your typical way of writing a book)?As for Pokémon, they were interesting, but I didn't think that they were as cool as Bionicle, probably because making your own Pokémon was not encouraged. Also, I thought that Bionicles looked more bad*** studly and mature than Pokémon. I guess it's the whole "catching and controlling" concept of Pokémon... *sigh* If only people weren't so power hungry (I'm not completely serious here).

• 2 weeks later...

Bionicle does pop up now and then in popular culture, I too have read 'Maximum Ride', seen 'Date Night', and that episode of 'Malcolm in the Middle'.One interesting story:The other day my friend bought a YoYo and brought it into school to open. It came with one of those mini-CDROMS. When we were explaining to him what it was (he didn't know), my friend said: "They used to have them in BIONICLE canisters". This began a long discussion about Bionicle, which was entertaining. I didn't let on that I knew almost everything off by heart though.Also my yoyo-ing friend claims he had the Nuju and Matau CDs but threw them away. What a waste.

I was at a First Lego League event and was chatting with another volunteer and we somehow found ourselves talking about Bionicle. It's funny, but I've bumped into quite a few people (4 or 5) that are Bionicle fans without even trying.

Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are.

-Ryu, Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future

Not luck. It's what you do that makes you a hero.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png