Into the Nest (Photography)

Ontocron

Wish I could upvote this twice, somehow. Once for your version, which is awesome. Specifically, the glow in the eyes really gets me, especially nice job with the Akaku. The layering with the foreground and background makes the scene feel grounded. Have any behind-the-scenes of the setup? If it's a secret, that's cool too. 

Anyways, second upvote would be for when I compared it to the panel it's based on - wow! The detail even in how the Toa are carrying around the Krana. Great piece!

(disclaimer: none of this banner art is original, I just smooshed it together in gimp. Torchic, Matau)
ThosePeskyFirespitters.png.3dbdb65e6a28cbbc5957d81c09a685b6.png
Those pesky firespitters... 
Library | The Sculptors and the Smelters | The Ternion Review Topic 

5 hours ago, Aderia said:

Wish I could upvote this twice, somehow. Once for your version, which is awesome. Specifically, the glow in the eyes really gets me, especially nice job with the Akaku. The layering with the foreground and background makes the scene feel grounded. Have any behind-the-scenes of the setup? If it's a secret, that's cool too. 

Anyways, second upvote would be for when I compared it to the panel it's based on - wow! The detail even in how the Toa are carrying around the Krana. Great piece!

Thank you! Glad you like it.

Here's a behind-the-scenes pseudo-timelapse of the photo manipulation process. It's not every step, but hopefully it's interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFQQG_e3Jgw

Edited by Keyblade87
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is absolutely fantastic!

It looks even better than the original comic scene; and I especially love what you've done with the lighting: both in making the characters' eyes glow so believably, and in the reflections on the golden masks.

The composition, too, is incredible; and I really, REALLY like the way you've done the background... if I hadn't looked at the time-lapse video, I would have assumed it was a single photo, you've brought it all together so perfectly. Really excellent work! :D (And on a more minor note, I enjoyed the way you used music from Bionicle: the Game as the audio on that video too!)

May I ask how long it took to make? ^^

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

On 10/21/2020 at 12:38 PM, Iron_Man5 said:

Wow. Just... wow. I've never had a harder time deciding whether to "upvote" or "like" (but I went with "like" since it's a heart and I love this rendition of this scene).

Amazing job!

Thanks!

On 11/1/2020 at 9:57 AM, That Matoran with a Vahi said:

This is absolutely fantastic!

It looks even better than the original comic scene; and I especially love what you've done with the lighting: both in making the characters' eyes glow so believably, and in the reflections on the golden masks.

The composition, too, is incredible; and I really, REALLY like the way you've done the background... if I hadn't looked at the time-lapse video, I would have assumed it was a single photo, you've brought it all together so perfectly. Really excellent work! :D (And on a more minor note, I enjoyed the way you used music from Bionicle: the Game as the audio on that video too!)

May I ask how long it took to make? ^^

Thanks for kind words! I'd say it probably took around 6 hours all together.

• Like 1