How were the internal islands lit? Great Spirit Robot

3 hours ago, Lenny7092 said:

I believe so. The Great Beings must have had to put giant lightbulbs in the the other islands’ ceilings to give them light.

Yeah, exactly! But it seems like such a huge oversight if it was never brought up in the canon. They took the time to light Metru Nui, what about everywhere else?

:m: :a: :x:    :n: :u: :i:

10 minutes ago, Daler99 said:

Also, with Metru Nui, was it only daytime if

1) Mata Nui’s eyes were open and

2) the outside world was well lit?

Was there a day/night cycle in Metru Nui?

I feel like this implies Mata Nui (the robot) could only blink once a day, and the blink lasted for half a day. 

More seriously - the page on 'Sun Holes' should shed some light on this (hehe). Basically it says the Great Spirit Robot's eyes have corneas of impenetrable energy so debris doesn't get in, and they act as sun/moon respectively. The page on the Great Spirit Robot lists 'internal maintenance' as a power, and says internal environments can be controlled/manipulated, including gravity and temperature. Given that, artificial day/night cycles don't seem at all out of the realm of possibility for a bajillion foot tall space-exploration robot. Maybe there's a giant light-relay mirror system set up between domes. That would be cool. 

Also, more back to Daler's points - if Mata Nui's job was to fly around space and observe worlds, wouldn't the outside world mostly be dark? Because space is dark? So artificial light in Metru Nui would probably have been the default, except for the 1000 most recent years (+/- a few) since the Great Cataclysm. 

(disclaimer: none of this banner art is original, I just smooshed it together in gimp. Torchic, Matau)
ThosePeskyFirespitters.png.3dbdb65e6a28cbbc5957d81c09a685b6.png
Those pesky firespitters... 
Library | The Sculptors and the Smelters | The Ternion Review Topic 

Well, here’s so I put it: 

In Metru Nui, these two suns are behind Mata Nui’s eyes just to show the welfare of the Great Spirit. They closed when Mata Nui was in a coma. It represents how active he is. Plus, Spherus Magna’s whole day lasts in 36 hours, morning lasts 18 hours and night lasts 18 years (that was shown in the Mata Nui Online Game with the sundial), so the Great Spirit Robot’s day-and-night system is the same thing. Those suns are probably giant Lightstones, like you guys said. For the other islands, well, they may have the same thing.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Wow, I'm actually shocked that Greg was never asked this question, lol. To be honest, I figured that I would post this and instantly be told that I hadn't read one of Greg's ancient lore tablets and that I needed to hand in my fan card. :D

10 hours ago, Lenny7092 said:

Those suns are probably giant Lightstones, like you guys said. For the other islands, well, they may have the same thing.

I like this theory. It aligns with what we know.

If I recall correctly, it was something Greg answered a long time ago, but it ended up being a longer version of "Here's my take, but don't think too much about it."

Like, the twin suns above Metru Nui are actually the eyeholes, but there's two parts to it. 1) When the robot is active, it generates light of its own, and the movement of the "suns" and stars is attached to a sort of moving grid system that allows for day-night cycles (this is the part you don't think too much about). 2) When the robot is inactive, the stars still function, but the light of the suns is now whatever ambient light comes from outside the robot, not what it generates via lightstones or whatever, and the suns now become stationary while the stars only move a little bit.

The other domes were supposedly lit by giant lightstones that during the day cycle kinda just made the whole sky bright. Because Greg was so vague about this, I assumed that the only "suns" were in Metru Nui and everywhere else just had a reasonably-bright artificial sky that would go dim during he night cycle.

Like I said, he gave some vague answers, but there were just too many holes in them to paint a really clear picture.

• Like 1

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2020 at 3:35 AM, The 1st Shadow said:

The other domes were supposedly lit by giant lightstones that during the day cycle kinda just made the whole sky bright. Because Greg was so vague about this, I assumed that the only "suns" were in Metru Nui and everywhere else just had a reasonably-bright artificial sky that would go dim during he night cycle.

This is how I've interpreted it too. The rest of MU probably just had varying degrees of light, without any suns per se.

This is entirely head-canon, but I like to imagine that the day/night cycle operated on the basis of Mata Nui's own "rest system" - not that he needed to sleep or anything, but so that half the time he was on energy saving mode or something, to allow for Karda Nui to catch up to his daily energy consumption.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 10/30/2020 at 9:09 AM, Max Nui said:

Wow, I'm actually shocked that Greg was never asked this question, lol.

Greg was asked the question. The answer was that each dome had its own light source, just like Metru Nui (except without them actually being Mata Nui's eyes)

#makeBionicleG1andHeroFactorysharethesameuniverse and #giveBionicleansHeroFactorytheirownliveactioncinematicuniverse 
GENERATION 5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

On 3/15/2021 at 10:05 AM, Lorentz said:

Greg was asked the question. The answer was that each dome had its own light source, just like Metru Nui (except without them actually being Mata Nui's eyes)

You wouldn't happen to have a link or something to the specific quote, would you?

16 hours ago, Max Nui said:

You wouldn't happen to have a link or something to the specific quote, would you?

I'm in the process of re-reading all of the old Official Greg Discussion archives, so unfortunately I have no idea where exactly it was stated. 

#makeBionicleG1andHeroFactorysharethesameuniverse and #giveBionicleansHeroFactorytheirownliveactioncinematicuniverse 
GENERATION 5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.