A Bionicle Live action movie?

Coronel Dume

That is quite bizarre. A human turning into the Seventh Toa? No way. It’s worse than the Transformers movies (with humans getting involved with Transformers’ stuff). I’d rather have Bionicle and Hero Factory characters come to present day Earth than this. I got some ideas here: 

and there: 

That’s what I would go with for Bionicle’s future. It’s much less weird that way.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

I remember reading that, when Lego was looking around for a studio to produce Mask of Light, almost all the ones they approached were only interested if they could focus the movie on a 'real' human child discovering the island of Mata Nui; when Lego stuck to their guns and said "no human child, Bionicle characters only" most of the studios no longer wanted anything to do with the idea... Miramax was reportedly the only one willing to run the movie as Lego wanted it, so they got the contract.

Maybe that's what this is referring to?

I don't have a source for that, unfortunately; it was several years ago and I don't remember where, other than probably here on BZPower. It might be somewhere in BS01's copy of the Official Greg Discussion archive, since it's most likely the info came directly from Mr. Farshtey, but I've no idea how to begin searching through that for a single specific answer.

Edited by That Matoran with a Vahi

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

On 11/21/2020 at 10:29 PM, That Matoran with a Vahi said:

I remember reading that, when Lego was looking around for a studio to produce Mask of Light, almost all the ones they approached were only interested if they could focus the movie on a 'real' human child discovering the island of Mata Nui; when Lego stuck to their guns and said "no human child, Bionicle characters only" most of the studios no longer wanted anything to do with the idea... Miramax was reportedly the only one willing to run the movie as Lego wanted it, so they got the contract.

I already have a fond memory of their movies, but you just gave me a newfound appreciation of Miramax. It's so upsetting there are creators who think people, most particularly children, are unable to relate to non-human characters.

It's safe to assume we all wanted to live on Mata Nui when we were young, but a human kid standing among Toa and Matoran and saving them would have been wrong on so many levels, like something straight out of a fan fiction. Now, weirdly enough, there was one G2 concept art that showed tribal humans and I wasn't as hostile toward that ; however it would have greatly shifted the foundations of the franchise and it would not have sit well with most fans. Overrall Bionicle doesn't need to rely on humans, since they're already human enough for us to be able to relate to them.