What Makes a Minifigure?

Ask most LEGO fans this question and they can probably give you a reasonably good answer of what defines the iconic minifigure. But could they write a 300-page style guide about it? Tara Wike from The LEGO Group can and has (with the help of Matthew Ashton and others), making her one of the foremost experts on the minifig and the guest on this week's episode of the Bits N' Bricks podcast. She joins journalist Brian Crecente and documentarian Ethan Vincent to discuss just what makes the minifigure so iconic and how you set guidelines to ensure that it is properly represented in and out of physical form - like in videogames! There's actually not a whole lot of specific gaming discussion, but it's still an interesting conversation most fans will enjoy. You can list to Episode 8 - LEGO Minifigures: A Conversation on your podcast platform of choice or on the LEGO Gaming YouTube channel. Enjoy!

View the full article

This was a nice episode to listen to. Not only did we get some insight into the creation of the Collectable Minifigure series, but also just how integral the minifigure is to virtually every Lego game out there. I particularly liked the acknowledgement that many Lego games give their minifigures significantly more flexibility than real minifigures would actually be capable of (complete with a running gag about Chewbaca popping off arms in the original Lego Star Wars game), and it was nice to hear them cite The Lego Movie as an example of the more realistic limitations. I also had a bit of fun trying to identify which specific games were identified throughout the episode, such as Lego Worlds, Lego Minifigures Online, and Lego Tower (a mobile game that I've still yet had a chance to try, despite having it on my phone for over a year now).

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.