What makes your collection special?

Max_Nui

I don't really have any rules for this thread. What makes your bionicle collection unique? Is it a rare part you have, or perhaps specific memories with the sets you own? Or maybe you have mocs that no one else does?

Why are you glad you have your collection and not someone else's

I've been officially collecting Bionicle since 2007, and I've spent a good amount of time rounding out my '01 rahi collection. One thing that I have that not many other collections do are mnog-only rahi like Mahi and Brakas. I also have a custom resin vahi crafted for me by ZiosCustomLego on Etsy.

1758930346_crackedvahi.jpg.cc7688e4e67e47896522cc439aec73d1.jpg

What do you all have that's unique?

• Like 1

:m: :a: :x:    :n: :u: :i:

An interesting questions to ponder.  I've been collecting since 2001 and over the many years am only missing less than a dozen sets. Got all the toa, turaga, and nuva masks. I have almost all the misprints. Missing the black matatu and light blue kaukau. Have all the krana and am only missing 50 kraata. I have a bunch of other bits of bionicle merchandise. The hordika vakama voice changer mask might be one of my more interesting ones. With that I have a tooth brush, watch, board games, all movies, retail display banner, hat, shirt, key chain and pro cds.

I wouldn't say anything makes me collection special at least to others but to me it is extremely special as I have at this point spent thousands of dollars and time into it and is a collections I am very proud of.

Onvermel

P.S. I.m sure there a plenty other stuff I missed and forgot.

• Like 3

"I believe in certainties. The strength of my limbs, the power of my mask, the sharp edges of my blades — that is what I build my plans around. Trickery, deception, complex strategies, they are for the weak! If you want power, and another has it, you get it not by outwitting him — you get it by stepping over his corpse." Makuta Icarax

"WHO ATE ALL THE PIES! WHO ATE ALL THE PIES!"

http://onvermelreport.blogspot.ca/ --- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaX7xUwGu9-8kVqQ4BqOxWw               

onvermel_report_logo_24.bmp

1 minute ago, Alexander123 said:

I have some of the storyboards from Legends of Metru Nui. I plan on getting them framed at some point.

Nice! Which ones do you have? I got 3 recently from that large ebay lot that was sold. I think I got two with Vakama combining the great disks, and one that marks how the vahki transport moves. 

• Like 1

:m: :a: :x:    :n: :u: :i:

Okay a few things I have that are unique:

Two storyboards from Legends of Metru-Nui (both from the finale on the beach of Mata-Nui, one in particularly is a wide shot showing all the Matoran Spheres washed up on shore).

Two ZiosCustoms Resin Protectors mask, one a purple-pink blend the other a transparent clear resin.

One painted damaged Kanohi Huna I found in a bulk bin at a used Lego store. It looked like somebody stepped on it once bending it, so I painted it up as an infected mask. 

Three Eden Sanders custom 3D Printed and painted masks; the Kanohi Oru, the Kanohi Mawu and the Kanohi Varku all based on content from his Reminisce Muzona Guardians fan comic series. 

As for retail Bionicle sets I have 100% completed all 2015 wide release sets (excluding the Comic Con and Lego Tour exclusives). I am a set and a half away from completing a 2001 collection (Muaka/Kane Ra and Hafu), I also have all the wide release masks from the 2001 mask packs (excluding the Copper Komau and the complete European Misprints although I do have a few of misprints). So I guess I have nearly complete representations of both of Bionicle's "first years" via representing 2001 and 2015 in their near entirety. I also have complete collections for the Bohrok, Bohrok Va, Toa Metru, Vahki, 2005 Titan sets, and Toa Inika. I am missing one Toa Uniter (Pohatu) and three creature sets (Stone, Earth, Jungle) to complete my 2016 hero sets and the final Toa team of the franchise. So yes, all retail sets but I am moving towards completing the parts of the collection that matter to me the most. I have 4/7 of the Great disks (Onu-Metru, Ko-Metru, Ga-Metru and the Great Disk of Time) too. 

As for non-Bionicle and normal Lego, I have a mismold Darth Vader minifigure head we found once that has a distinct flat edge to a corner of it, and two Iron Man Silver Centurions I managed to get for free from Gamestop once by walking in and asking them if they had an extra ones. Not super rare, but I also managed to grab the SDCC Comic Con Black Widow vs Taskmaster set off Amazon with the exclusive Red Guardian and white suit Black Widow when it was briefly available for a wide release after Comic Con was cancelled last year. Other than that though, I have no real rare and hard to find figures and everything else in my Lego collection is wide release stuff. 

• Like 1

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

• 2 weeks later...

Turaga Nokama's trident in yellow. Haven't seen anyone else with one of those, really curious where it's actually from. Got it off Bricklink from a German seller.
EDIT: Mystery Solved! The yellow trident was a from a knockoff series called Masker

I framed two original ink comic pages. One is an extra page from the foil version of Comic 8. The other is an alternate page from Comic 4 that features a Matoran (Kapura?) in place of Vakama.
MDS00633.thumb.jpg.2052652062389fdb9ad9a6cda9fa2096.jpg

Been fortunate to have completed my 2001 Kanohi collection. The rarest masks I own are the Brown Komau and the Yellow prototype Huna. Got really lucky with those having acquired them from the a seller after months (years?) of patience and saving. Recently got the SDCC and Inside Tour (Crew Edition) 2015 masks. I wish Gen 2 had put out more alternate colored masks. I also had a Miru custom chromed for my Wairuha figure.

Edited by chuckschwa
  • Like 3

I'm proud to have a good amount of misprints, a prototype all-black Skrall shield, an Aqua Blaster Blade and the Toys R Us Kanohi Carrier.

• Like 1

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

I've got a 2001 Matoro McDonald's happy meal box, never used. Happy to have a unique item that so many people remember as kicking off their Bionicle passion. I'll try to take some photos of it later today to post here.

Also,

On 2/2/2021 at 10:07 AM, Alexander123 said:

I have some of the storyboards from Legends of Metru Nui.

On 2/2/2021 at 10:09 AM, fabSheers said:

I got 3 recently from that large ebay lot that was sold.

On 2/2/2021 at 11:52 AM, Xboxtravis said:

Two storyboards from Legends of Metru-Nui

On 2/17/2021 at 6:29 PM, chuckschwa said:

two original ink comic pages

Those of you that have physical storyboards/comics/etc., would you be willing to scan them? It would be epic to have those pieces viewable :D  also curious to the stories of how you aquired these :glasses:

On 2/2/2021 at 9:47 AM, Onvermel said:

am only missing 50 kraata.

lastly, this is impressive. Those are hard to track down & there are soooo many

:exclamation:currently searching for ANY Gray Plastic Krana Kal (GPKK):exclamation: If you were a member of Proto-squad, or know someone who was, please feel free to get in contact with me

11 minutes ago, Humble_Matoran said:

Those of you that have physical storyboards/comics/etc., would you be willing to scan them? It would be epic to have those pieces viewable 

I bought both inks from Anthony's Comicbook art store. The inks are quite large and I don't have a scanner big enough yet to properly fit them. Here's an image of the other page

MDS00642.thumb.jpg.38ebdf8a63c343d629bfaeca5addc263.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Alexander123 said:

I know that the Biomedia Project has scans of many of the storyboards including the ones I have if that helps.

Yep the two I own are on Biomedia Project where they were taken from the eBay listing images. http://biomediaproject.com/bmp/blog/legends-of-metru-nui-storyboards/

Here are the images from Biomedia of the two. I guess I could try and find a scanner to get a higher res version, but I would dare say Biomedia has done a good enough job with just the eBay listing image. Besides I just barely got them framed and don't want to take them down anytime soon! 

image.thumb.png.8464dec911e1432c0738f6b54c9b2d89.png 

image.thumb.png.7b1b2e9f5aa77c25fe3abcf8e1b8b25f.png

• Like 1

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2021 at 2:58 PM, Alexander123 said:

I know that the Biomedia Project has scans of many of the storyboards including the ones I have if that helps.

Okay okay, glad to know its there. I know the Biomedia Project has images of all they could find on Ebay, just didn't know if any of this was new/not uploaded on BMP yet. Regardless, those of you who have storyboards those are really epic pieces B-) glad to hear they are getting framed as well. 

Here is a picture of the McDonald's happy meal box I had mentioned earlier. 

IMG_5880.JPG

:exclamation:currently searching for ANY Gray Plastic Krana Kal (GPKK):exclamation: If you were a member of Proto-squad, or know someone who was, please feel free to get in contact with me

I don't think anything does, in my case. Even when my collection was at its fullest, I didn't have anything rarer than a handful of odds and ends such as the orange vahi, a couple TNGMs, and a misprint white Ruru... and in my naiveté I applied paint to most of those when I was going through "a phase", and thus rendered them worthless. Maybe some of my sets were rare-ish, at least judging by the prices some of them go for nowadays, but I didn't have any that weren't widely available at the time... I guess the thing that made my collection most special was its size: by the end of '08, there were only sixteen regular sets (not counting combiner repacks, playsets, collectables, and most promotionals) that I was missing. That was a pretty big deal for me, at the time.

Then I completely fell off the boat when 2009 rolled around, but hey.

I don't have most of them anymore, though, so that achievement's a thing of the past now, whatever it may have been worth then. I do have a McToran Kongu, which is pretty rare from a UK perspective, at least, since we never got the McDonalds promotion over here; though I imagine, being McDonalds freebies, they're probably quite common over in the States?

I also have five of six of the Burger King MoL tie-in figures, who are rare by virtue of the fact that no-one else cares about them since they're not actual Lego...? xP

Yeah, my collection's pretty generic, honestly.

I'd like to get one of the storyboard pages, I see they're still available on ebay and I've found one I particularly like, but... international shipping costs more than the boards themselves.

Edited by That Matoran with a Vahi
  • Like 2

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

On 3/6/2021 at 5:26 PM, That Matoran with a Vahi said:

though I imagine, being McDonalds freebies, they're probably quite common over in the States?

They are fairly common around the U.S. Not suuuper common since they are from way back in 2001, but not exactly rare either, somewhere in the middle haha. Having one with the original packaging is pretty rare though (in my opinion).

And having a collection that large is definitely something to be proud of! 

On 3/6/2021 at 5:26 PM, That Matoran with a Vahi said:

I'd like to get one of the storyboard pages, I see they're still available on ebay and I've found one I particularly like, but... international shipping costs more than the boards themselves.

Also I feel you on this. There are other things I need in my collection at the moment, but eventually these would look really nice framed next to some posters...one day haha

• Like 1

On 2/17/2021 at 6:29 PM, chuckschwa said:

I framed two original ink comic pages. One is an extra page from the foil version of Comic 8. The other is an alternate page from Comic 4 that features a Matoran (Kapura?) in place of Vakama.
MDS00633.thumb.jpg.2052652062389fdb9ad9a6cda9fa2096.jpg

That's gorgeous! What an awesome piece.

My collection also has two framed Legends of Metru Nui storyboards, featuring the scene where Lhikan is cornered on that bridge and leaps off of it. Other than that I don't have anything too rare, but I am proud of my copper masks of victory, blank kanoka disk, and rahkshi + bohrok-kal CD's. I know they're not really unique but I also really like my working manas and all 6 mata canisters. :) 

• Like 1

personal_banner_6.png

14 hours ago, Toa Hovoki Zehvor said:

rahkshi + bohrok-kal CD's

jealous of you there :P still hunting all those down

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So I recently came across there armor pieces on Bricklink. I never knew about them before but are obviously a non-produced part.  These may be my rarest Bionicle elements.

20210502_152915.thumb.jpg.c116d6555725520edcf2949604c3c675.jpg

"I believe in certainties. The strength of my limbs, the power of my mask, the sharp edges of my blades — that is what I build my plans around. Trickery, deception, complex strategies, they are for the weak! If you want power, and another has it, you get it not by outwitting him — you get it by stepping over his corpse." Makuta Icarax

"WHO ATE ALL THE PIES! WHO ATE ALL THE PIES!"

http://onvermelreport.blogspot.ca/ --- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaX7xUwGu9-8kVqQ4BqOxWw               

onvermel_report_logo_24.bmp

• 2 weeks later...

The only things that physically make my collection unique are a misprint Tridax Pod that came with Hero Factory's Von Nebula (the parts in my set were clear plastic instead of black), and my signed Lord of Skull Spiders box from The Battle of the Gold Masks.

Sentimentally, however, my collection feels special to me because it was a growing part of me that I carried for so many years of my childhood and even young adulthood. Right now I have all my parts haphazardly stored in the trunk of my car since there's no space in the house, even though I haven't touched them in many years and may never have time for them again. I guess what makes my collection special is the many, many memories that are stored in it.

On 3/6/2021 at 12:28 PM, Humble_Matoran said:

Here is a picture of the McDonald's happy meal box I had mentioned earlier. 

"Skate over to mcdonalds.com for cool snowball throwing action" I wonder if there was a unique Happy Meal Online Game I never heard of? It sounds intense. :P

IetTsFQ.png

My Bionicle collection isn't really anything special; Toa Mata Nui is probably the most special thing I own, aside from random collectables (an orange Vahi & a Ga-Metru Great Disk). But I certainly don't have the room (nor the desire for!) a vast collection. A few things here-&-there are enough for me :)

As for sentimental value, it amazes me I still have my 1st Bionicle set; the Maku I got at McDonald's 20 years ago now (minus the throwing disk, which I believe I lost at said McDonald's 20 years ago, lol). More than that, she's still in pretty good shape! I remember the arms of my friend's Nuparu (from the Boxor, ofc.) being all frayed & bent out of shape, & this was only in 2006 or so. Maku's arms look brand new by comparison, still good for a few more throws (assuming she had a disk!)

• 5 months later...

The first set I ever bought was Onewa metru and the first sealed set I bought was the boxor. The first book I read in the Bionicle story was beware the bohrok, so I'm naturally obsessed with the bohrok swarms leading me to have a mostly complete krana collection. I'm going to film my latest haul and add a stop motion sidekick in the video when I release it.

Bazinga! I've been a Bionicle Fan since early 2015 and have been aware of it since 2008. Was a bit late to the party due to my age, but that doesn't matter now. Looking for krana and sealed G1 sets at below market value if possible, (otherwise it'll be a few years before I care to collect sets I don't care as much about) Bohrok Kal and Krana Kal Mask Pack sets are ones I am particularly looking for atm.

I go by Nektann or Marcato usually online.

On 5/11/2021 at 4:21 AM, Nescent said:

" I wonder if there was a unique Happy Meal Online Game I never heard of? It sounds intense. :P

If I had to guess, it's probably the Huai Snowball Sling.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

I have 100% of the 2001 sets (including power pack, Mctoran, and every single Kanohi that was released that year, aside from misprints).

I have almost 100% of 2002 as well, I'm just missing about 4 krana, but otherwise I've got all of those two years.

Those two years capture all of the original nostalgia of BIONICLE for me, so I made it my personal goal to get 100% of those two years.

Otherwise, the rest of my collection are just the sets I got from the other years that were my favorites (namely Zaktan and Takanuva)

That's what makes my collection special :)

• Like 1

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

I don't have anything particularly special in my collection if I was to go by monetary value. My brother and I share a collection and he has no qualms with opening sealed sets so our sealed Metru Nui Matoran and Sealed Turaga etc. have all been opened.  Those boxes are still special though. I think as someone who got into Bionicle in 2015 and was only interested in G1, I feel very attached to the few 2001 recolours my mum brought that year, at the time me and my brother were eh about them as the gold and silver Mata Masks don't match other colours but later I realized what I great deal she got on them. Also one time I found a single trans red Kaukau in a Bulk Lot, that mask is special to me.

We also have Manas with the box, they were still working up until this year when a servo gave out on both of them, had a lot of fun while they still did work though. Our Kardas Dragon is a non-combiner edition and comes with the Kardas Instructions so that is also special.

I'll be getting a infected Hau soon thanks to Teridax941 so baring the Kaukau the Hau will be my most prized item. Reading all this stuff about comic art and misprints etc. does make me wish I had deep enough pockets and the know how of where to get cool masks and collectables. :confused:

• 1 month later...

Arriving late to this, but here's a pic of all my rare or unusual items, collected over about fifteen years:

20211211_221629.jpg

The most unusual pieces here are the misprint partially clear Hau Nuva, the prototype Metru blue Matatu, the prototype gold/white Strakk helmet, the prototype red/black Zamor, and the WMKK. The Kraahkan on the bottom row of the main rack third from the right is the five-hole mismould, and the 175 Ta-Metru Kanoka was a limited European exclusive. The metallic purple Akaku and translucent red Miru are Flintsmith customs, made in 2005 and 2014 respectively; the empty head in that row is for the translucent purple Kaukau, which a friend of mine might be selling to me in the near future. The individually bagged copper Huna was a Nestle promotion. The Bohrok Va polybags were Korean exclusives, and arrived in the mail literally today.

Funny story about the WMKK - I don't have the velvet bag or certificate of authenticity that would have originally come with it, because this WMKK was found lying on the ground by one of my friends in 2005, who later traded it to me. It looks a little rough since the powder coat has mostly worn off from being kicked around on pavement for possibly as much as two years. I continue to marvel at the statistical improbability of it being lost by one Bionicle fan and picked up years later by another!

If the racks look a bit oddly built with pins sticking out in random places, it's because these were disconnected from a much larger display that I'm almost finished and will be posting here in the next couple of months, once I've filled in a few more gaps in the collection.

-L