Jump to content
Zidonaro

Why is Keetongu considered a Rahi?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Really, why? He has a humanoid shape, walks on two legs, super intelligent, able to speak his own language, can use tools, can communicate with Matoran if there's a translator availabe, and even uses Tahtorak as steeds. He's as smart as a Skakdi or a Vortixx.

Edited by Zidonaro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Basically, Matoran are kinda speciesist? 

According to canon, the word rahi literally translates to "not us" in the Matoran language. So it can be applied to absolutely any other creature or species. 


___________________________________________________

Legends Don't Last Forever

___________________________________________________

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if Keetongu's species were created by the Makuta out of viruses and liquid protodermis. That's probably the most objective definiton of Rahi we'll get, even if some (like Crystal Serpents and Protodax) do not fit that description.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's not forget our big orange boi made the cover of a dark hunters book

  • Like 1

:exclamation:currently searching for ANY Gray Plastic Krana Kal (GPKK):exclamation: If you were a member of Proto-squad, or know someone who was, please feel free to get in contact with me

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Master Inika said:

I wonder if Keetongu's species were created by the Makuta out of viruses and liquid protodermis. That's probably the most objective definiton of Rahi we'll get, even if some (like Crystal Serpents and Protodax) do not fit that description.

That is my thoughts too, some Makuta created Keetongu perhaps as a purposeful anti-dote to the Visorak. Then when the Makuta turned evil they hunted down his species.

  • Like 1

Capture.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Gecko Greavesy said:

Basically, Matoran are kinda speciesist? 

According to canon, the word rahi literally translates to "not us" in the Matoran language. So it can be applied to absolutely any other creature or species. 

Would Krana, Kraata and Makuta count as Rahi too then?

Edited by Sir Kohran

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Xboxtravis said:

That is my thoughts too, some Makuta created Keetongu perhaps as a purposeful anti-dote to the Visorak. Then when the Makuta turned evil they hunted down his species.

That's a really cool headcanon. This does presume that Keetongu's species were created after or alongside the Visorak. For some reason I assumed his species would have been older.

4 hours ago, Sir Kohran said:

Would Krana, Kraata and Makuta count as Rahi too then?

According to BS01, Matoran consider Krana and Kraata (and even Shadow Leeches) to be Rahi, "even though they are not", but not Makuta. It raises some really interesting questions about epistemology--how can Matoran identify something as a Rahi and be wrong? Since the definition is already so subjective, isn't anything Matoran consider Rahi technically one?

  • Like 3

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/6/2021 at 6:37 AM, TuragaNuva said:

Well, technically that was Triglax.

"oops" -Lego

But yeah, it is kind of a weird subject. Matoran definitely see krana as rahi, which I can see in their mind, and especially since the queens are rahi. Kraata is a weird though because I always veiwed them as 'extensions' of Makuta...I wouldn't necessarily call that a rahi, but I honestly don't know what I would classify it. Kind of like Makuta now has his own 'species', for lack of a better term. 

12 hours ago, Master Inika said:

epistemology--how can Matoran identify something as a Rahi and be wrong? Since the definition is already so subjective, isn't anything Matoran consider Rahi technically one?

Good point though, I guess it depends on who is defining things and the matter of perspective. Especially since the games were from the matorans' perspective


:exclamation:currently searching for ANY Gray Plastic Krana Kal (GPKK):exclamation: If you were a member of Proto-squad, or know someone who was, please feel free to get in contact with me

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Humble_Matoran said:

"oops" -Lego

But yeah, it is kind of a weird subject. Matoran definitely see krana as rahi, which I can see in their mind, and especially since the queens are rahi. Kraata is a weird though because I always veiwed them as 'extensions' of Makuta...I wouldn't necessarily call that a rahi, but I honestly don't know what I would classify it. Kind of like Makuta now has his own 'species', for lack of a better term. 

Good point though, I guess it depends on who is defining things and the matter of perspective. Especially since the games were from the matorans' perspective

According to BS01, even the Bahrag are in that not-Rahi-but-considered-Rahi-by-Matoran category.

Rahi are, to us, a type of fauna in a fictional LEGO franchise. For us to disagree with the characters in the fictional franchise about what is a Rahi creates a weird objective definition for something that we know it's real. Imagine if Pikachu wasn't really a Pokémon--Ash Ketchum and Professor Oak just erroneously thought he was.


"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am wondering about that, too. Don’t forget Krahka the shape-shifting Rahi and the Tahtorak the giant green lizard Rahi. They are intelligent, too.


I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Lenny7092 said:

I am wondering about that, too. Don’t forget Krahka the shape-shifting Rahi and the Tahtorak the giant green lizard Rahi. They are intelligent, too.

Tahtorak has more of a beast/dragon shape and can barely speak Matoran, so I can understand why he is considered a Rahi. But yes, I wouldn't consider Krahka a Rahi. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you watch Godzilla vs. Kong? Kong walks on two legs, uses tools, intelligently strategizes and even communicates through sign language. But at the end of the day, he's still a giant ape. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Disciple said:

Did you watch Godzilla vs. Kong? Kong walks on two legs, uses tools, intelligently strategizes and even communicates through sign language. But at the end of the day, he's still a giant ape. 

He can't speak. Keetongu even has his own complex language. I think we would have to see if his species had an advanced civilization built with cities and the likes, but since all his members were wiped out, we can't.

Edited by Zidonaro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Loved reading what's been said so far. I'm most inclined to think that creatures like keetongu and krahka are rahi simply because the matoran say so. 

That being said, keetongu's species might have gotten labeled as rahi because they isolated themselves (wether intentionally or not) from the wider matoran society.


Six Kingdoms Characters: Mazor, Jephro, The Janitor, Informant

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New theory: Keetongu is the only Keetongu who can actually speak, like Meowth.

Imagine Keetongu finally reuniting with his species (in an alternative universe or something) and they all just grunt incoherently

  • Like 2

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2021 at 8:57 PM, Smudge8 said:

Loved reading what's been said so far. I'm most inclined to think that creatures like keetongu and krahka are rahi simply because the matoran say so. 

That being said, keetongu's species might have gotten labeled as rahi because they isolated themselves (wether intentionally or not) from the wider matoran society.

Why is it so hard to believe that it's simply because Makuta created them?


-L

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lorentz said:

Why is it so hard to believe that it's simply because Makuta created them?

Because being created by Makuta isn't a requisite to be a Rahi, as various other Rahi were created by the Great Beigns and even Artakha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Zidonaro said:

Because being created by Makuta isn't a requisite to be a Rahi, as various other Rahi were created by the Great Beigns and even Artakha.

That makes me wonder, did the Makuta make any other type of beings other than Rahi? Rahi creation was their primary job before they went power crazy, but did they actually create other things too? (Not including Rahkshi, and the poor souls they mutated *cough*Voporak*cough*)

Edited by TERIDAX941

 

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Zidonaro said:

Because being created by Makuta isn't a requisite to be a Rahi, as various other Rahi were created by the Great Beigns and even Artakha.

Okay, well how about made from viruses then?

Edited by Lorentz

-L

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2021 at 2:12 PM, Lorentz said:

Okay, well how about made from viruses then?

According to Biosector01 concerning the Crystal Serpents:  "Artakha did not use viruses to create the Crystal Serpents."

So, unfortunately specifying virus doesn't work either. :(

https://biosector01.com/wiki/Crystal_Serpents

It might be helpful to find a list of all rahi created without viruses.


:m: :a: :x:    :n: :u: :i:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Max Nui said:

According to Biosector01 concerning the Crystal Serpents:  "Artakha did not use viruses to create the Crystal Serpents."

So, unfortunately specifying virus doesn't work either. :(

https://biosector01.com/wiki/Crystal_Serpents

It might be helpful to find a list of all rahi created without viruses.

Considering that Crystal Serpents are a unique, one-off experiment (and there's only four of them) I wouldn't classify them as real Rahi.


-L

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2021 at 3:04 AM, Lorentz said:

Because he was made by the Makuta. 

That's incorrect, Keetongu was not made by Makuta as far as we know. We have no confirmation on Keetongu's origin, nor that of the rest of his race. So we don't know if he was made from Viruses, or Makuta, or by anyone really. And with how many random races Mata Nui and the Great Beings created, he could just as been created by either of them rather than the Makuta. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would imaging the reason why he's called a rahi is because the Rahaga (and Roodaka at a later date) called him that. Since the Rahaga are the self proclaimed Rahi experts, I'm certain they'd know whether he's a true "Rahi" or some other species like many of the Dark hunters were. (there are many Dark Hunters that are very animalistic but they're considered an actual species, it wouldn't surprise me that a Rahi would be quite intelligent, but still be considered a Rahi)


 

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, TheLegoRoleplayer said:

That's incorrect, Keetongu was not made by Makuta as far as we know.

Virtually every single Rahi was made by the Brotherhood of Makuta; that was their whole job. The Great Beings designed the original specimens then the Makuta made the rest. Artahka tried making Rahi once and it didn't really work out. Beyond that, everything else was pumped out of the Makuta's lairs. 


-L

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

For what it’s worth, there seem to be two different definitions of Rahi: the Matoran definition and the real definition. The Matoran think anything foreign, alien or otherwise dissimilar to them is a Rahi. It needs to have at least one of so many traits (it can speak, it’s a biped, it has discernible facial features, etc.) in order to be considered a “person.” The actual definition is more specific: it is a large marine creature created by the Great Beings or it is any creature created by the Makuta using viruses...or it’s a Crystal Serpent.

It’s kind of like an inverse situation of the word “animal” in the real world: a lot of people use it to describe any creature that isn’t human, implying humans are distinct from animals. But the actual definition is any organism in the kingdom Animalia, which includes, of course, humans.

By the way, there is also a third definition that fell out of use early on. In 2002, the official site had two sections for non-sapient character bios: “Rahi” and “Creatures.” The Rahi section only included the Rahi released as Titan sets in 2001, while the Creatures section had the Rahi that could be built using the Master Builder Set. The implication was that the name “Rahi” specifically referred to large, dangerous animals that Makuta fitted with Infected Masks.

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese
  • Like 1

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...