Did you keep your canisters?

Onvermel

Hey folks! I got a two part question.

#1 So I was thinking to myself about how I myself kept all my Bionicle canisters. They were useful storage and as a kid made great set pieces. Did all of you keep yours and why?

#2 This is for all you collectors out there. Do you collect all the canister as well or do you feel the canisters are a waste of space and don't think it's needed for a collection?

Just curious to see what you folks say.

Stay groovy

-Onvermel-

"I believe in certainties. The strength of my limbs, the power of my mask, the sharp edges of my blades — that is what I build my plans around. Trickery, deception, complex strategies, they are for the weak! If you want power, and another has it, you get it not by outwitting him — you get it by stepping over his corpse." Makuta Icarax

"WHO ATE ALL THE PIES! WHO ATE ALL THE PIES!"

http://onvermelreport.blogspot.ca/ --- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaX7xUwGu9-8kVqQ4BqOxWw               

onvermel_report_logo_24.bmp

I've kept most of mine. The only exceptions (& I can't think of any specific ones now) are the Mahri & Phantoka 'canisters' that fail to serve as proper storage space. Frankly, I don't know how you could 'keep' those, given you basically have to destroy them to get them open. 

Ditto for the Av Matoran & Agori 'canisters.' I tried to keep them, but the cardboard bent out of shape anyway and rendered them unusable. 

I kept all of mine that that I bought first hand with the canisters. The only set I never got early on was Tahu, and I got him later on for a really good deal without his canister (however I might go back and find a spare one someday...)

I enjoyed having them all stored away in their individual canisters, they always looked super cool (especially the Bohrok in their "hive")

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

I really liked keeping them when they were story-relevant, like the Toa Mata, Bohrok and Toa Metru. I thought the Metru lid Matoran sphere function was especially cool and creative. 

57 minutes ago, Mukaukau Nuva said:

I've kept most of mine. The only exceptions (& I can't think of any specific ones now) are the Mahri & Phantoka 'canisters' that fail to serve as proper storage space. Frankly, I don't know how you could 'keep' those, given you basically have to destroy them to get them open. 

Ditto for the Av Matoran & Agori 'canisters.' I tried to keep them, but the cardboard bent out of shape anyway and rendered them unusable. 

I agree with Mukaukau Nuva, the Mahri and Phantoka canisters were/are kind of unfortunate. I still have some but they don't hold up as display pieces very well simply due to the material and/or design. 

Regardless of whether they're kept or not, I definitely loved the look and feel of canisters when the set was brand-new. I hope if there is a third generation of Bionicle sets, they can figure out an easily recyclable or biodegradable canister material.

personal_banner_6.png

I kept a lot of my canisters, especially from the earlier years when they doubled as Suvas, etc. Unfortunately my parents didn't share my appreciation for the significance of the canisters when I was growing up, and threw out most of mine.

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Coming 2024 

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

3 hours ago, Toa Hovoki Zehvor said:

I really liked keeping them when they were story-relevant, like the Toa Mata, Bohrok and Toa Metru. I thought the Metru lid Matoran sphere function was especially cool and creative. 

I agree with Mukaukau Nuva, the Mahri and Phantoka canisters were/are kind of unfortunate. I still have some but they don't hold up as display pieces very well simply due to the material and/or design. 

Regardless of whether they're kept or not, I definitely loved the look and feel of canisters when the set was brand-new. I hope if there is a third generation of Bionicle sets, they can figure out an easily recyclable or biodegradable canister material.

I agree the story relevant are the best. I actually got two extra toa whenua lids to have a matoran pod permanently.

I did get rid of most my mahri canisters. I traided the frames and threw out the cardboard. I got back the plastic later but unfortunately that cardboard is long gone. So out of my six only two have a full complete canisters. The collector in me it rather bothered by this.  I did the similar to extra copies of the av/agori canister/box. I actually really like the look of those as well as the phantoka.

2 hours ago, Gecko Greavesy said:

I kept a lot of my canisters, especially from the earlier years when they doubled as Suvas, etc. Unfortunately my parents didn't share my appreciation for the significance of the canisters when I was growing up, and threw out most of mine.

RIP canisters. My parents never threw out mine but somehow I lost the bottom to my original Mata Onua.

"I believe in certainties. The strength of my limbs, the power of my mask, the sharp edges of my blades — that is what I build my plans around. Trickery, deception, complex strategies, they are for the weak! If you want power, and another has it, you get it not by outwitting him — you get it by stepping over his corpse." Makuta Icarax

http://onvermelreport.blogspot.ca/ --- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaX7xUwGu9-8kVqQ4BqOxWw               

I've managed to keep not only all the canisters in my collection but also all of the cardboard boxes (both small and large) as well. Sure, sometimes they got slightly torn from back when I first opened them, but otherwise I took very good care of them to the point that I was able to reasonably pack away every single set back into their original containers, even if some of the larger boxes obviously don't form much of a seal, which is a major reason why my entire collection is now stored in storage totes to prevent anything small from slipping in or out.

Yes, as early as 2001 when I was only 11 years old, I refused to throw out anything that came with my Bionicle sets, and took great care to make sure they could be as clean and intact as possible for display. The only things that I did throw out were the back stickers for the Bohrok, Bohrok Kal, and Rahkshi canisters because we were specifically instructed to peal them off so the curled up sets could be displayed within the transparent canisters. In hindsight, I wish I could've kept even those "disposable" canister back stickers.

Edited by Chronicler06
  • Like 1

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.

3 hours ago, Chronicler06 said:

I've managed to keep not only all the canisters in my collection but also all of the cardboard boxes (both small and large) as well. Sure, sometimes they got slightly torn from back when I first opened them, but otherwise I took very good care of them to the point that I was able to reasonably pack away every single set back into their original containers, even if some of the larger boxes obviously don't form much of a seal, which is a major reason why my entire collection is now stored in storage totes to prevent anything small from slipping in or out.

Yes, as early as 2001 when I was only 11 years old, I refused to throw out anything that came with my Bionicle sets, and took great care to make sure they could be as clean and intact as possible for display. The only things that I did throw out were the back stickers for the Bohrok, Bohrok Kal, and Rahkshi canisters because we were specifically instructed to peal them off so the curled up sets could be displayed within the transparent canisters. In hindsight, I wish I could've kept even those "disposable" canister back stickers.

You have pretty much just described me. With a few excepting I do still have all my cardboard boxes except my turaga as I was to young to think about keeping them.

Every single one.

Even the useless Mahri things.

Why?

Because I'm a hoarder collector, that's why. :P

In all honesty, though, I used to use them to store each Toa Mata/Nuva and any of their extra masks I'd collected, and the same went for any Bohrok (Kal) and their krana or the Toa Metru with their disks. From there on, keeping the canisters was just part of the collection for me, and I've never had reason to get rid of them since.

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

One more thing I'd like to add is that although I do have all six of the 2001 Tohunga, I had bought that whole group second-hand only a few years after their initial release, so all I got to go with each of them was the instruction and promotional page. The ones I got originally back in 2001 were Huki and Matoro, and somehow I've been able to keep the original plastic bag that Huki came in. Obviously, it's been torn open since the day I got it so I could assemble the set, but the fact that I still have that bag is something that I doubt many longtime Bionicle collectors can realistically say.

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.

Kept mine. I used one of them for keeping masks in and found other stuff to keep in the others. I kept coins in a couple of them, and I think I used one to store Halloween/seasonal candy for a couple of years. Having a hard time remembering what I kept in the rest of them (but there was nothing sus, I promise!).

GENERATION 4: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

8 hours ago, Bambi said:

I kept all of mine, even after peeling the label off a few... Besides those, they're all still in excellent condition.

yeah I took the back labels of a most my Rahkshi. Cool to have them with the clear back but I wish  I had kept them on.

4 hours ago, Fyndegil said:

Kept mine. I used one of them for keeping masks in and found other stuff to keep in the others. I kept coins in a couple of them, and I think I used one to store Halloween/seasonal candy for a couple of years. Having a hard time remembering what I kept in the rest of them (but there was nothing sus, I promise!).

Nothing sus. I believe you :)

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Gadunka64 said:

I actually only buy sets when they're *with* the canister. Not sure if this counts as it's technically not "keeping" the canister, but I only buy from people who do.

I say it counts.  Also that is pretty much how I operate when it comes to buying canister sets. Well did as I got the last one not to long ago.

1 hour ago, Onvermel said:

I say it counts.  Also that is pretty much how I operate when it comes to buying canister sets. Well did as I got the last one not to long ago.

Of course, I buy sets without canisters that literally dont come with any (Titans, Duo packs) but I see no reason to *not* buy canisters if you're a collector. I think it looks great on a shelf.

On 5/27/2021 at 6:11 PM, Gadunka64 said:

Of course, I buy sets without canisters that literally dont come with any (Titans, Duo packs) but I see no reason to *not* buy canisters if you're a collector. I think it looks great on a shelf.

I fully agree. Although I am also the guy with 7 mata Pohatu canisters. I am making "The Dream' a reality for me. I think all the toa I have double of their canisters as well as bohrok. Although one reason I have doubles and such is because some canister are different such as European canister compared to north American.  Plus their are all the CD variants.

Onvermel 

On 5/29/2021 at 2:36 AM, Onvermel said:

I fully agree. Although I am also the guy with 7 mata Pohatu canisters. I am making "The Dream' a reality for me. I think all the toa I have double of their canisters as well as bohrok. Although one reason I have doubles and such is because some canister are different such as European canister compared to north American.  Plus their are all the CD variants.

Onvermel 

7 Pohatu Canisters...no one man should have all that power.

• Like 1

I used to, for the longest time; it was the easiest way to store the sets when I wasn't playing with them, and I had some sturdy cardboard fruit boxes that most of the canisters fit nicely into and could be stacked on top each other, to save space. I started to go off that method of keeping them around 2006 / 2007, though, when the Inika canisters were too tall and rectangular to fit this arrangement, the Barraki couldn't be fit back into theirs without being seriously dismantled first, and the Mahri didn't even come with resealable canisters; so I first stuffed them all up in the attic, and eventually threw them out - except for the lids of the Toa Mata canisters, since they could double as Toa Suvas, which made them seem useful for keeping to me.

If there's any I regret throwing out, it's mainly the Mata canisters... although they weren't exactly *intact* even so, since I'd long since pulled off their removable sleeves. And also the Barraki canisters just because, even if they weren't the most useful, I really liked their unique design.

Ah well, what's done is done at this point!

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't keep my canisters growing up, and it's one of my big regrets. I think the last packaging I bought in-store for G1 that I remember keeping for a long period of time was the Ignika tops to the Mistika, but I don't even have those anymore.

I have a couple of canisters I've gotten secondhand. Two Toa Inika, Toa Norik and some others. I have the original box to the squid pack as well that I enjoy looking at from time to time.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/21/2021 at 4:12 PM, Max Nui said:

I kept all my canisters after I threw away my Kalmah canister and instantly regretted it. :crying:

Always a painful experience. Nothing is worse than instant regret.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...