Troubleshooting Manas electronics

Max_Nui

I recently purchased a used Manas from a lot on Mercari. It was missing the controller so I purchased a controller from eBay. Today is the first day I’ve had them together and something isn’t working. I’m pretty used to repairing my own electronics so I’m not too concerned about diving into the guts, but I was curious if anyone else here had repaired a manas. If so, do you have advice? I couldn’t find any helpful documentation online so I also made this post to assist other people in the future. 

Symptoms:

No response from the base when buttons are pressed on the controller. Connections on both units seem to be okay pending testing. No discernible damage and minimal corrosion. New batteries used for testing. 

• Upvote 1

:m: :a: :x:    :n: :u: :i:

1 hour ago, Max Nui said:

I recently purchased a used Manas from a lot on Mercari. It was missing the controller so I purchased a controller from eBay. Today is the first day I’ve had them together and something isn’t working. I’m pretty used to repairing my own electronics so I’m not too concerned about diving into the guts, but I was curious if anyone else here had repaired a manas. If so, do you have advice? I couldn’t find any helpful documentation online so I also made this post to assist other people in the future. 

Symptoms:

No response from the base when buttons are pressed on the controller. Connections on both units seem to be okay pending testing. No discernible damage and minimal corrosion. New batteries used for testing. 

Your first key job is checking that the motor drive gears are connecting to the gears that transfer power to the Manas' functions. They are loose plastic gears that can slip a bit easily, so wiggle them around a bit to make sure all the teeth are properly meshing. Make sure the are no gear breaks there.

If its a circuit issue, make sure the are no broken wire leads. If so... well get the soldering iron ready I guess. If its an issue in the controller I don't know what to say, since that is all electronical. 

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

8 hours ago, Xboxtravis said:

Your first key job is checking that the motor drive gears are connecting to the gears that transfer power to the Manas' functions. They are loose plastic gears that can slip a bit easily, so wiggle them around a bit to make sure all the teeth are properly meshing. Make sure the are no gear breaks there.

If its a circuit issue, make sure the are no broken wire leads. If so... well get the soldering iron ready I guess. If its an issue in the controller I don't know what to say, since that is all electronical. 

I was able to confirm with the eBay seller that they tested the controller before shipping, so I’m inclined to believe the issue is in the base. I’ll work on testing the connections tomorrow. That’s a good suggestion about checking for gear breaks. Thanks!

:m: :a: :x:    :n: :u: :i: