Trade/transportation outside Metru Nui

I'm currently working on a story set in the Bionicle universe and I'm running into an issue remembering how trade works between islands. If I remember correctly, Metru Nui used airships to transport goods to other islands, but what methods did the other matoran inhabitants use? I could see boats being used, I'm just wondering if this question has been answered somewhere I've forgotten. Thanks!

:m: :a: :x:    :n: :u: :i:

1 hour ago, Max Nui said:

I'm currently working on a story set in the Bionicle universe and I'm running into an issue remembering how trade works between islands. If I remember correctly, Metru Nui used airships to transport goods to other islands, but what methods did the other matoran inhabitants use? I could see boats being used, I'm just wondering if this question has been answered somewhere I've forgotten. Thanks!

I don't know if its ever answered. It is possible airships were also used, even though they originated from Metru-Nui they could have offloaded their goods on one island, picked up new ones, then traveled to the next making peddlar stops selling and buying goods in a circuit until finally returning to Metru-Nui. In the real world that isn't super common anymore as most trade routes are point to point, but in the type of world Bionicle inhabits its very easy to imagine airships making stops at various islands and continents to offload and load various goods well before making that return trip to Metru-Nui. It further solidifies the thought that the Great Cataclysm shutting down Metru-Nui had a chain reaction of consequences on the rest of the GSR's inhabitants. 

Boats though seems like also a likely option, or maybe even Rahi caravans on large inland regions too. 

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

Mostly boats, and caravans of cargo carts (often pulled by Rahi) for landlocked travel. I don’t think we ever saw airships used outside of Metru Nui, which was one of the wealthiest and most technologically-advanced regions, so that may explain it. And we don’t know the travel range of the airships; the only time we saw them leave the island is when the Toa Metru were taking the comatose Matoran to the surface, after which they were dismantled and recycled as building material (maybe they broke down upon landing, who knows)?

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water