Home of the Brick Meets the House of Ideas

It's Wednesday, which means we've got some great LEGO videogame content to listen to! Head over to YouTube or your preferred podcast platform to check out Bits N' Bricks Season 2 Episode 22 - LEGO Marvel and the Missing Spider-Stan Song. In this installment, journalist Brian Crecente and documentarian Ethan Vincent talk to Arthur Parsons, Chris Baker, and Andy Dolan from TT Games about the process of bringing The Avengers, their allies, and their enemies to the digital construction medium. There's lots of great stories to share, including how they got the late, great Stan Lee involved in doing voice over work. It's another fantastic behind the scenes look at the world of LEGO games!

View the full article

I remember the earlier episode where they talked about TT Games and pretty much covered all of those Lego games in general (with some emphasis on Star Wars since it was the very first one). I think it's great that they're apparently going to focus on some of those games in particular, with this episode being all about Marvel Super Heroes from 2013. It really is amazing how many characters they included that didn't really become well known until other movies and shows came out over the years after that game's release, and they certainly made the right call to give this game an original story rather than simply have it based on a single Avengers movie (something which they would actually do later after the second Avengers movie came out). And while it was no surprise to me that they did in fact get Stan Lee himself to voice a few lines, as the title of this video implies, it's quite a shame that licensing issues prevented them from including a Stan Lee version of the classic Spiderman song that he apparently sang. (I wonder if it'll ever be possible for us to hear that song? I'll bet that now that it's become public knowledge, there's sure to be a huge demand for it among Marvel fans.) I especially liked all of the little highlights they mentioned throughout the episode (like Deadpool's fourth-wall-break special attack that was apparently snuck in at the last minute). Overall, I loved this episode, and I hope this means that some future episodes will give us a similar level of focus on some other Lego games developed by TT games (I personally would love to hear about Lego City Undercover).

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.

Once again, no new topic on the next episode, so I'll comment on the topic of the previous episode.

Anyway, this week's episode was about the early game Lego Loco, basically a Sim City style sandbox game that involved building your own town and adding trains among other things. It was interesting to hear about how the game developed (such as how it was initially envisioned as something that would run as a desktop animation rather than be its own game). I never got this game, though I do recall once seeing one video of gameplay content, and it really does make me wish there was some way these days that I could try out that old game. (I still can't help but giggle to myself whenever I hear the gibberish speech that's spoken by the minifigures in that game.)

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.