Bits N' Bionicle

The latest episode of the LEGO gaming podcast released today, and it's one we've been waiting for since the series began! Hosts Brian Crecente and Ethan Vincent finally dive into Bionicle, bringing in creators Christian Faber and Alastair Swinnerton to discuss the origins of the theme, Jeff James, former producer of The Legend of Mata Nui for The LEGO Group and Darvell Hunt, former developer of The Legend of Mata Nui for Sapphire to talk about the canceled title, New Zealand-based barrister Maui Solomon to cover the company's use of culturally-important Maori words in the theme, and finally Liam Scott, aka Vahkiti, the founder of Litestone Studios and the producer of The Legend of Mata Nui Rebuilt. If that list alone isn't enough to make you listen, they also reveal how Terminator 2 helped inspire Bionicle. So what are you waiting for, go listen to Bits N' Bricks Season 2 Episode 25 - Myth, Maori, and a Brain Tumor: The BIONICLE Saga!

View the full article

Yeah, this was definitely worth listening to. I'm sure this episode was intended to make sense to those who might not be familiar with Bionicle, so there were quite a few things that us longtime fans are probably already aware of. However, there's definitely a lot of interesting new information that, as far as I'm aware, was never really commonly known among the Bionicle fanbase, such as specifics about the Maori lawsuit and how Lego responded appropriately, as well as just how much the initial success of Lego Star Wars contributed significantly to the early development of the Bionicle storyline.

While it was nice to learn some things about the Bionicle games that were created in 2001, I personally would've also liked to hear about some of the other Bionicle games that came out later (such as the 2003 game from which they used bits of music for this episode, and of course Bionicle Heroes from 2006 that seemed to follow a format somewhat similar to the earliest Lego Star Wars games that came out at around the same time).

Overall, definitely among my favorite episodes in this podcast series.

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.

This is something worth listening. I mean, it’s super-nice that LEGO is being considerate about Bionicle this year with those Twitter posts. Also, they talked about The Legend of Mata Nui. Well, LiteStone Studios is able to make a better version of the game called (repeating title) Rebuilt, we know. They are working on it to perfect it. It’s available to play from BioMedia Project website, but yes. Anyway, I super-wish that Lego would make our wishes (re-continuing and ending Bionicle G1’s story, Hero Factory’s story, and making them share the same universe, bring the themes back, perhaps give both of the themes a reasonable reboot and give back the glory days in 2001-2009), come true: 

(ignore the replying people’s pessimistic comments and votes because they have no idea what they are talking about because they don’t have Bionicle). I keep on nagging Lego to make them come true because that’s something that I want at least, and this year, Bionicle’s 20th anniversary, would be a good year for it. A reasonable reboot for Bionicle and HF that bring back the glory days in 2001-2009, and hopefully a live-action cinematic universe for the themes, because that fits them, would be nice (maybe for Bionicle’s 25th anniversary if everything is doing well with a Bionicle-based project for Lego’s 90th anniversary).

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)