What animals are the Toa Hordika masks are based on?

Lenny7092

Hi, guys. I have been wondering. When I look at the Toa Hordika masks, they look like various animals. Matau’s mask looks like a lizard’s head, Nokama’s a fish, and Nuju’s a bird (he does speak bird to ignore people when they are acting foolish or are trying to waste his time. Lol). The other guys are something that I have a hard time making comparisons. They look like either bears, rhinos, bulls, or tigers. What are your thoughts about their masks’ looks?

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Honestly, this was one (of many) problems I had with the Hordika back in the day.  (The main one being that the sets looked ugly, and the story saying that they're supposed to look ugly didn't help anything.)  To me, the Hordika did not have any clear animals they were based on.  They were essentially recolored builds with different tools and masks, but the masks did not appear to be any particular animal.  Yes, I always got rhino vibes from Nuju and reptilian vibes from Nokama and Matau, but it was all just a little too vague for my tastes.

And that's not to say Lego couldn't have done better, because in later years THEY DID.  The Barraki were not direct animal replicas, but they had enough design features that it was clearly apparent that Carapar was a crab, Kalmah was a squid, Takadox was a mantis, ext.  Of course, in 2005 they hadn't got past the clone builds, but then you could look to the third wave of Hero Factory heroes with the animal motifs.  The basic designs of each didn't change, but they had styled weapons that sorta matched their animals, and then they had very details helmets immediately made it clear what animal they were based on.

The Hordika could've benefited from either of these routes.  I'm sure it was a case that the sets were designed long before the story, so maybe that's where the biggest disconnect is.  (Saying they're based on animals when the original designs were just sort of nonspecific "mutations").  But they gave us lackluster sets and kind of an annoying theme to explain them.  2005 was a lousy year.  (Although as much as I dislike Web of Shadows, I do have to admit that the animation had finally improved on the third movie.)

Obviously, these are my opinions, which are mine, and I know plenty of people would disagree with that, but whatevs.

:music:

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...