It’s been 5 years since Bionicle G2 ended.

Lenny7092

Hi, guys. It’s been 5 years since G2 ended. It’s very pitiful because it’s a brutal cancellation after two years of running. We never asked for it, you know. It’s like The Amazing Spider-Man movie series in 2012-2014 all over again. There’s no Hero Factory G2 to sustain the constraction category, so the category disappeared in 2018. We are in the Dark Age since 2010. What is wrong with Lego? Lego shouldn’t have cancelled G1 in the first place. Some fans keep their faith and love for Bionicle and Hero Factory. Some are acting pessimistic, and they always do that to my topics and posts. :(  

We could have seen G2 versions of other G1 characters besides the Toa Mata and Makuta Teridax, like the Toa Metru Turaga and Toa Inika. What a waste. G2 could have potential for more things that we could dream of, but this happened.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

We never asked for it, but unfortunately, money speaks louder than sentiment when it comes to toy products, or in this case, the lack thereof. If toys aren't profitable for a toy company, then those toys get the axe. Simple as. Doesn't matter how much faith the people who actually did buy and enjoy them have.

LEGO should have never cancelled G1? Why? So that they could start bleeding money continually producing toys for a line that was losing ground after going for 10 years? That wouldn't have been a very smart business decision on their part.

And yes, G2 certainly could have had potential for much more, but only if the line had been more successful.

It's less that we're acting pessimistic and more that we understand that the conditions were not favourable for G1/G2/Constraction. G1 was on the decline and couldn't keep going forever, G2 could not live up to G1's legacy, and Constraction as a whole was suffering for it. You need to face that reality, too. The heyday of Bionicle and Constraction has long since gone. LEGO needs to focus on what is currently working for them, not trying to appeal to a minority who just want to relive their childhood.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

UnsuspectingButts.thumb.png.2a71dabd3565a645b7127215b282d46b.png

6 hours ago, Taria Pakari said:

It's less that we're acting pessimistic and more that we understand that the conditions were not favourable for G1/G2/Constraction. 

I don't know if conditions were not favorable for Constraction when G2 launched, since Hero Factory had come off a five year run itself. I know its easy to knock on Hero Factory for not reaching the lengthy time that Bionicle G1 had... but 5 years is a long time for a non-licensed non-Ninjago/Bionicle theme to last at Lego so Constraction surely had some legs left.

The problem though is Lego just, botched G2's marketing. While I have never verified the idea that Ninjago sudden cancellation than relaunch sucked marketing cash from G2, it certainly seems plausible that Lego sucked the budget for one theme to prop up the misguided cancellation of another. Or maybe Lego assumed G2 could be an automatic success on brand recognition alone? An odd choice seeing then most of the original G1 fans were either in their earlier 20's or mid to late teens in 2015 and certainly not the target demographic Lego needed to make G2 a hit. 

6 hours ago, Taria Pakari said:

but unfortunately, money speaks louder than sentiment when it comes to toy products, or in this case, the lack thereof. If toys aren't profitable for a toy company, then those toys get the axe. Simple as. Doesn't matter how much faith the people who actually did buy and enjoy them have.

This though 100%, its clear G2 was not bringing in the cash and got axed due to that. A shame, but it is what it is; and we still got two more years of Bionicle sets out of it than we had when G1 ended so I honestly can't complain. 

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

19 hours ago, Xboxtravis said:

The problem though is Lego just, botched G2's marketing. While I have never verified the idea that Ninjago sudden cancellation than relaunch sucked marketing cash from G2, it certainly seems plausible that Lego sucked the budget for one theme to prop up the misguided cancellation of another. Or maybe Lego assumed G2 could be an automatic success on brand recognition alone? An odd choice seeing then most of the original G1 fans were either in their earlier 20's or mid to late teens in 2015 and certainly not the target demographic Lego needed to make G2 a hit. 

Speaking of Ninjago, it might have ended up diverting money from G2 even without the brief hiatus in 2013. Ninjago was (and still is) a big thing, and would thus be higher priority to fund.

RPG Characters: Explota Akkitu

I really wish Lego didn't rely solely on the old fans to get their advertising out there so G2 had a chance, but alas, things happen for a reason I suppose. 

Then again, if we would've gotten more waves like 2016, maybe it was best it ended when it did instead of becoming an overgreebled mess. 

4 hours ago, Sir Kohran said:

would you really call one of the world's biggest and longest running companies incompetent?

Everyone makes mistakes, and major mistakes were certainly made with the marketing and promotion of G2. 

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Coming 2024 

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

On 8/2/2021 at 10:44 PM, Bambi said:

"Why is this company cancelling themes that aren't bringing in enough money?"

It's just a way of life. It's you can't create toy a theme without problems. Not all ideas work after production, and thats when you decide to continue or discontinue it to minimize money loss.

In my opinion CCBS biggest flaw from the moment it was created is the skeletal design. They only look good on, but when the figure is viewed from the back you see glaring flaws like joints that only look half-filled in and big gaps. The shells have a limited number of designs before they became repetitive with recolors. If anyone received the DCComics/Marvel CCBS megabuilds figures it becomes evident how bad the figures could be.

Hulk was terrible
https://brickset.com/sets/4530-1/The-Hulk

The Joker set even worse
https://brickset.com/sets/4527-1/The-Joker

Edited by (-Kopaka Toa of Ice-)

On 8/2/2021 at 6:07 PM, Sir Kohran said:

Maybe they didn't do perfectly with it, but would you really call one of the world's biggest and longest running companies incompetent?

I'm not calling LEGO themselves incompetent, I said they were incompetent in handling G2 and it clearly shows.

G2 was actually pretty cool; kids just weren't interested.

• Like 1

#makeBionicleG1andHeroFactorysharethesameuniverse and #giveBionicleansHeroFactorytheirownliveactioncinematicuniverse 
GENERATION 5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

• 2 weeks later...

LEGO should've branched out G1 into different mediums.

By 2010 Bionicle fans had grown to a certain point where all sorts of hobbies were formed, like getting into card battle games, or table-top tactical RPGs, and there are plenty of franchises out there that sustain themselves on the sale of figure statues, comic book releases and other expensive, quality merchandise. Problem is, LEGO shares a lot in common with Nintendo; they are extremely conservative and wont look very far beyond what they have always been doing. So the merch we did get from Bionicle has always been rather on the lame side, and when Bionicle stopped selling on the toy front (because... you know... the kids grew up after 10 years) they threw out the baby with the bathwater than realize that they were sitting on an IP that's a hotbed for becoming one for the ages like Star Wars or Marvel.

-I was infected for the most part on April the 1st 7.gifBEWARE

12 hours ago, Tattorack said:

LEGO should've branched out G1 into different mediums.

By 2010 Bionicle fans had grown to a certain point where all sorts of hobbies were formed, like getting into card battle games, or table-top tactical RPGs, and there are plenty of franchises out there that sustain themselves on the sale of figure statues, comic book releases and other expensive, quality merchandise. Problem is, LEGO shares a lot in common with Nintendo; they are extremely conservative and wont look very far beyond what they have always been doing. So the merch we did get from Bionicle has always been rather on the lame side, and when Bionicle stopped selling on the toy front (because... you know... the kids grew up after 10 years) they threw out the baby with the bathwater than realize that they were sitting on an IP that's a hotbed for becoming one for the ages like Star Wars or Marvel.

Well they originally had lots of licensed products. Lots of video games, a board game or two, and even shoes and toothbrushes. Sales for non-toy Bionicle products fizzled out, so Lego decided to stop putting money into that kind of thing.

#makeBionicleG1andHeroFactorysharethesameuniverse and #giveBionicleansHeroFactorytheirownliveactioncinematicuniverse 
GENERATION 5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

21 hours ago, Lorentz said:

Well they originally had lots of licensed products. Lots of video games, a board game or two, and even shoes and toothbrushes. Sales for non-toy Bionicle products fizzled out, so Lego decided to stop putting money into that kind of thing.

Yes, and they were all and sub-par. While I have fond memories of Bionicle The Game, compared to other adventure action platformers it really doesn't hold up in... any department.

On 8/26/2021 at 2:03 PM, Heyzorks said:

what about the soundtrack? i always liked that.

Very mixed bag. Some of it was good. Most of it was "Meh". I guess otters agreed as well, because two of the most memorable tracks made it into Voya Nui Online Game.